View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 131 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3181121126127128129130131132133134135136141181 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    wait a month. we're in the midst of new products coming out left and right, so don't rush it yet. a month isn't going to kill you, and by then you'll have much better information to make a decision one way or another.
    This is the best advice out there.

Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Doesn't matter, the Iphone 4G just p'wed everything.
    It most certainly did not (except with it's screen).
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    wait a month. we're in the midst of new products coming out left and right, so don't rush it yet. a month isn't going to kill you, and by then you'll have much better information to make a decision one way or another.
    Yeah, i'm not in a rush, i just really like to begin early research. Even i do choose to get the EVO, It won't be in haste.

And if I do, I still need to think about Asurion-ing my current beat up Pre to get a new Pre to give to my girlfriend if I switch, ha!
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    let me ask you a question, how's the multitasking on the EVO working out? i'm just curious , i've never used an android device so i'm not sure how to multitask lol.
    The multitasking is ok, not as good or elegant as WebOS, obviously. The card metaphor was probably one of my favorite things about the Pre, very intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Yeah, i'm not in a rush, i just really like to begin early research. Even i do choose to get the EVO, It won't be in haste.

And if I do, I still need to think about Asurion-ing my current beat up Pre to get a new Pre to give to my girlfriend if I switch, ha!
    Generally you can't add Asurion-type services except when the device is first activated... She might be able to add it if/when she activates it, but I doubt you can add after the fact...
    Ok was able to play with the Evo this afternoon at both a BBy and Sprint Store. They both sold out the first day (Sprint had 23 and has a waiting list for when more come in). BBy also sold out of almost all accessories such as cases and screen covers. Both places had live units to play with.

So from a long-long time Palm user and first-day-pre-owner, here are my thoughts.

-Build Quality. Very nice. Seems quite solid and well built. Big advantage Evo

-Size and Screen. It IS big but not too big for me. The extra real estate makes surfing the web, reading emails and books a joy. Thing does weigh a lot more than I expected. I know some don't wanta phone this big but I would love a WebOS device this size. Advantage Evo.

-Keyboard. I was surprised that I liked the virtual keyboard on the Evo. I acutally think once I was used to it I would type better on it than I do my Pre. The problem is not the keyboard but in how the keyboard functions with the device. On the Pre, if I want to search I just start typing. If im in the email app, I type and it knows what I want to do and where text goes. With the EVO virtual keyboard its just the opposite. You basically have to tell the device what you want to do THEN the keyboard can be brought up. Its necessary to get to whatever app needs the keyboard, including search functions, then tap on where the text would go THEN the keyboard pops up. I think all devices with a virtural keyboard should have a hard button that pops it up and off no matter what app you are in or what you are doing. Advantage Pre.

-Speed. Evo was snappy but not noticibly more so than my overclocked Pre. In a 3g only town so can't comment on difference there Advantage (with overclocking): tie.

-User interface and functionality. Big Advantage Pre -- and I was trying to be real open-minded. Wanted to see how i would just type in a name to call that person on phone. Took me like 4 screens and taps to get there and get keyboard up. (may be quicker ways but sure not obvious). The multiple launcher and card-type screens and the different formats for different catagories and apps and how the UI presents stuff is pretty confusing IMO. Not intuitive at all. I'm sure I would be able to figure it out but its not nearly as nice and clean as the Pre's cards and launcher screen. Wanted to "minimize" the web page I was on to access an app but then come back to same web page -- never did figure out how to do that. May be a way, but neither I nor store rep could figure it out.

-Now for all of this stuff, there may be patches or apps that help out or better ways of doing things than I could figure out in an hour or so but the Pre OS is really much more elegant and intuitive than the Android flavor on the Evo.

-So would I buy one to replace my Pre? Nope not right now. For one thing we are not in a 4g area and won't be probably until the end of the year so not worth the extra $10/mo. Moreover, while I would enjoy web-surfing and reading emails much more on the Evo and would actually consider reading a book on it, I believe my overall experiance would be less enjoyable than my Pre. Thus, I will wait out the next Palm device -- assuming there is one-- and see what it brings to the table. If it has bigger and better screen and is built better has a real Word Processing App and a few other tweeks, than I'm sure i will stay with Palm. If they take too long and/or there is no real upgrade in these areas, then I could see trying out the EVO or its successor after we get 4g in our area.
    getting an evo will see if it's worth leaving pre for. If it's not as enjoyable as pre I will sell Evo and come back.

how is the app market for android?
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    getting an evo will see if it's worth leaving pre for. If it's not as enjoyable as pre I will sell Evo and come back.

how is the app market for android?
    Simply put. Beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    -User interface and functionality. Big Advantage Pre -- and I was trying to be real open-minded. Wanted to see how i would just type in a name to call that person on phone. Took me like 4 screens and taps to get there and get keyboard up. (may be quicker ways but sure not obvious). The multiple launcher and card-type screens and the different formats for different catagories and apps and how the UI presents stuff is pretty confusing IMO. Not intuitive at all. I'm sure I would be able to figure it out but its not nearly as nice and clean as the Pre's cards and launcher screen. Wanted to "minimize" the web page I was on to access an app but then come back to same web page -- never did figure out how to do that. May be a way, but neither I nor store rep could figure it out.
    Tap home, open app launcher, open your app. Long press home, tap on browser, back to where you were.

Pre can do it in roughly the same order.

Open Wave, choose launcher, open your app, swipe up, go back to your app.

Good post btw. What made me go get the Evo is I couldn't stand my Pre's random reboots any more. I will agree with you that Android is not as easy to use as the WebOS. Oh, if you press the search button, you search for your contacts. Unfortunately you can't call them right from there like on the Pre. However, you can just open up the dial and use the T9 dialer to type out there name and it will search your contacts. My WinMo phone used to do this. I loved that feature and was sad to see that it wasn't in WebOS.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    LOL I just went to androidcentral for the first time in my life. In the EVO section of their forum they're complaining about poor wifi reception, random restarts, bugs/lockups when writing to the SD card, poor camera/video quality, etc.
    I saw that too. Looks like I may try the 2nd or 3rd batch out. I've said it before, 1st batch people are almost always beta testers, no matter what the product.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    the biggest difference between the EVO and iphone is no one's crazy enough to actually go to at&t.

NO phone is good enough for me to be nickled and dimed by att
    Well, My Palm Pre device is broken. So naturally, I thought, it must be fate to put a pre-order for a HTC EVO 4G. Though i didn't make it to the first round, I put my deposit down for the second round and decided to check one out to see what the "hype" was all about.

Someone from Radioshack had one (a worker) and decided to show it off. Instead of having my "hype" fulfilled, I was quite disappointed. The phone, moved quite sluggishly. Closing apps seems to be a chore with their famous "Task Manager". Scrolling through apps seems slow as well too, no faster than the Palm Pre with the 800MHz patch in it.

What began as "I can't wait to get my hands on one!" resulted in a "Do I really wanna blow my upgrade on this phone?" the unintuitive way of managing apps, slow response time, and just general "choppy/laggy" animations on opening and closing apps/switching between apps, turned me off tremendously. I can't help but say "What's the big deal?" In the end, it's still not as intuitive as WebOS and definitely a far fetch from the ease of use from Apple's offering. The new iPhone though, I have to say, is hard not to be impressed by... Though it is a locked down/closed system, the UI is by far top tier. I've hated apple devices because of their restrictive nature. Now I realize, that the reason why I hate them is because of how good/innovative they really are, and how they can make the user interface incredible.

In the end, I'm still going to get the EVO 4G, but I'm not as excited as I once was... Now I'm actually kind of dreading it... But I DON'T want to spend my upgrade on the Palm Pre again...
    I have been a user of Palm since before Palm Pre I had the Palm Centro When I seen the Pre online I had to wait patiently I wanted the phone real BAD. Upon receipt of the Phone i fell in love to ME the phone surpassed the Iphone by a huge Margin and was not able to come close but the fact of the apps always laid heavy on me. I did everything to it I tethered the phone, I customized it through the wazu and other Pre owners were jealous of all that I had done to my phone because of the simple fact that they were scarred of messing up the phone. I have to say after June 4th ( 2days shy of the 1year anniversary ) I jumped ship. I have not sold my pre, I received a new Pre before buying the HTC Evo and keeping it just in-case. I left because I was getting tired of waiting every time there was an update we had to wait for another update to fix the previous update, I for one think that Palm/HP has something in there hands that can change the game and will be waiting for that day to come. HTC Evo is very impressive and there's no denying that. Screen is awesome, snappy, no lag, responsive, apps, and is just as capable as the Pre is what finally won me over. I am not going to lie I'm used to the Pre and wish it had some of the features that the Pre had MULTITASKING! But I can live with out it.
    GOOD BYE!!!!!!!!!!!! For Now. ;-)

-Keyboard. I was surprised that I liked the virtual keyboard on the Evo. I acutally think once I was used to it I would type better on it than I do my Pre. The problem is not the keyboard but in how the keyboard functions with the device. On the Pre, if I want to search I just start typing. If im in the email app, I type and it knows what I want to do and where text goes. With the EVO virtual keyboard its just the opposite. You basically have to tell the device what you want to do THEN the keyboard can be brought up. Its necessary to get to whatever app needs the keyboard, including search functions, then tap on where the text would go THEN the keyboard pops up. I think all devices with a virtural keyboard should have a hard button that pops it up and off no matter what app you are in or what you are doing. Advantage Pre.
    On the Evo, just tap the search button (capacitive button with magnifying glass) and start typing. Same number of steps as opening the Pre, then starting to type.

If you're in an app with search built in, like mail, it'll do a search in your mail. Otherwise, it'll do a universal search. Honestly, I'm not sure which I like better yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Generally you can't add Asurion-type services except when the device is first activated... She might be able to add it if/when she activates it, but I doubt you can add after the fact...
    I meant I'll Asurion it, use the new Pre for a week or two, then get a new phone (my contract discount was available as of 6/1/2010).
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I <3 the prospect of new hardware / bigger screen but I really dig WebOS.

But Palm DOES need to get off the potty and release their new phone.......
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    On the Evo, just tap the search button (capacitive button with magnifying glass) and start typing. Same number of steps as opening the Pre, then starting to type.

Except that does not appear to be a universal search, you need a widget for that apprantly and need to have it on every page you are on else you need to go to the page it on first. And was still needing to tap the text field to get the keyboard to come up. Might be settings that help this but still was not as smooth as the Pre universal
    Except that does not appear to be a universal search, you need a widget for that apprantly and need to have it on every page you are on else you need to go to the page it on first. And was still needing to tap the text field to get the keyboard to come up. Might be settings that help this but still was not as smooth as the Pre universal
    No, not the google search bar. Most Android phones have a dedicated search button. You push it an it opens up universal search on your phone. It searches your calendar, sms, mail, contacts, settings and web. It actually does more than WebOS's universal search.

You just need to be at one of the home screens (like WebOS) for it to be universal. If you are in an app, it may do a custom search in that app.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Is this confirmed?

Yes, I do think it's a 65K screen from what I found on Google.

http://www.mobile88.com/cellphone/HT...cification.asp

http://www.phonerated.com/cell-phone...one=htc+evo+4g
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/07/2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I found it on Google.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    One thing I notice about the EVO is the color screen has washed out colors. It oviously does not support true color. It looks like a 16bit screen 65K colors. That's a downgrade compared to the Pre 24bit 16.7 million colors and even the Pixi supports a higher color depth. Why did they put this huge screen with such a poor color depth is beyond me. I wish I did some more research.

Goog thing I did not use my upgrade so I am selling this one on eBay. How can you have such a large display and put a crummy 16bit LCD display.
    I touched on it but everyone seems to be mesmerized by the bigger screen. Like i said before, matters to me but just not something people seem to care about.