View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 130 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3080120125126127128129130131132133134135140180 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    could everyone just forget about patches when using comparisons?

if android truly is "software carousel" and "true" (pre) multitasking is memory leaks, TMCs, browser reloads, then sign me up...where's that carousel?
    My point wasn't to compare patches.. it was to use the steps to illustrate the feature I'm looking for - and to acknowledge it requires a patch on webOS specifically so I wouldn't get flames for making a patch comparison. The actual question was "can the Android do it?"... which someone answered above (and thanks for that answer).

I will be more clear for you next time.
    could everyone just forget about patches when using comparisons?
    I don't see why you would not take into account all the benefits of the two platforms. Part of the beauty of WebOS is how simple it is to homebrew. On the other hand, Android is a lot more customizable out of the box (apparently, that is a problem for some people...) and also is fairly open-able.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I don't see why you would not take into account all the benefits of the two platforms. Part of the beauty of WebOS is how simple it is to homebrew. On the other hand, Android is a lot more customizable out of the box (apparently, that is a problem for some people...) and also is fairly open-able.

because you are comparing a stock phone to a tweaked phone. in what world is that ever fair?

thats like saying "the 800mhz patch makes the pre as responsive as an iphone", so therefore the palm pre is just as responsive as an iphone

and yes, outside of the world of precentral, people have no clue about patching, rooting, tweaking.. and don't care to. and unfourtunately, that is the majority of users
    Can I get a fair review from a former Pre lover that switched to EVO?

I like my Pre a lot, I've patch the hell outta it, I have invested much moola in apps and accessories. But seeing uncertain future of a new WebOS device, I'm "considering" the EVO switch. But I'd like a review from a WebOS user if the new Android device is worth it with pros and cons.

This is still my first Pre since Sprint launch and it's tuff, but it has been through hell: Super Oreo with lots of lift, screen is scratched a lot, many cracks and the USB area is losing bits of plastic.

Knowing that I might have to do the $100 Asurion replacement in the not to far future, I've started to thing more of EVO for for the $200.

PS. I won't leave Sprint, been here for 10 years, ain't switchin!
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    because you are comparing a stock phone to a tweaked phone. in what world is that ever fair?

thats like saying "the 800mhz patch makes the pre as responsive as an iphone", so therefore the palm pre is just as responsive as an iphone
    First, the 800 kernels don't make it as responsive as the iphone. Second, if it did, then that's a positive, in my eyes. The fact that it's easy to do these things on the phone is great for me. That's something I consider when picking a platform. If I only cared about my experience out of the box, I'd probably have to get an Iphone...no thanks.
    Does Android have a media player than will play MKV movie files from the card?
    First, the 800 kernels don't make it as responsive as the iphone. Second, if it did, then that's a positive, in my eyes. The fact that it's easy to do these things on the phone is great for me. That's something I consider when picking a platform. If I only cared about my experience out of the box, I'd probably have to get an Iphone...no thanks.
    first, i was using the 800 as an example, and give it a search, people have been talking about it ad neauseam.

patching may be easy for you but do you really think anyone outside of the tech crowd is doing it, or agrees with your sentiment?

i was always under the impression that when reviewing/comparing products you use the stock version as a baseline comparison, not comparing a tweaked out product to one that just came out of the box. in that case u can make statements about your pre. but not the pre. without patches, where would you be?
    first, i was using the 800 as an example, and give it a search, people have been talking about it ad neauseam.

patching may be easy for you but do you really think anyone outside of the tech crowd is doing it, or agrees with your sentiment?

i was always under the impression that when reviewing/comparing products you use the stock version as a baseline comparison, not comparing a tweaked out product to one that just came out of the box. in that case u can make statements about your pre. but not the pre. without patches, where would you be?
    First, I'm no longer using my Pre. I'm using my EVO. I just think when comparing, you should take everything into account. As for the techie-nontechie argument, this is a tech enthusiast site. We tend to discuss things from that perspective.

I know what people say about the 800 patch...they exaggerate. If the Pre was THAT good overclocked, I'd still be using it.

and yes, outside of the world of precentral, people have no clue about patching, rooting, tweaking.. and don't care to. and unfourtunately, that is the majority of users
    I agree in the sense that PreCentral and Preware don't come Pre-installed out of the box. Beyond that, not so much. First - one of the key features of webOS are the community and homebrew depth. It factors in because it's possible/easy.

But, you must not have had a car in highschool, ever bought one with the "sport package" as an adult, or seen the way people soup up their cars with after market stuff.

There are soooo many examples in the real world where the ability to customize, depth of 3rd party products for customization, and general coolness factors matter. highschool kid wouldn't buy a 1975 volvo diesel if the plan was to jack up horsepower and load it with bling... cuz none of that stuff is sold by anyone... so they would buy a car that has the potential for that because there is an aftermarket that supports it...

In fact, that was the entire T-Mobile premise for "If you want to be you, be you" campaign. They were taking shots at iPhone because Apple locks the user experience down so tightly.

In fact, that's why the whole "not enough apps" argument is important. Adding an app is every bit as much adding functionality and customization as anything else... Heck, my wife's dumb-phone came with Vcast... why does a smartphone need to have that sort of application added? See how invalid that argument sounds?

I will grant you that the with/without patch argument for webOS is taken too far many times. But you can't rule it out all together because it's a key feature... and someday Palm will figure that out. They will incorporate about 100 of the patches into webOS natively, and they will pre-install access to preware for the rest... if they are as smart as the phones they make...
    First, I'm no longer using my Pre. I'm using my EVO. I just think when comparing, you should take everything into account. As for the techie-nontechie argument, this is a tech enthusiast site. We tend to discuss things from that perspective.
    well i tend to side with traditional product reviews, "you turn this phone on and this is what it can do, you turn this phone on, and here's what you can do"

not "oh well u have to put this phone in dev mode then download webos doctor,WOSQI, USB to the computer, download the preware .ipk, install that, download a couple more programs, open preware install this patch and that patch and oh yeah this one and oops theres a bug, doctor your phone, do it all again...."

yeah absolutely not.
    wait a month. we're in the midst of new products coming out left and right, so don't rush it yet. a month isn't going to kill you, and by then you'll have much better information to make a decision one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    all i'm saying is this is EVO vs Palm Pre, not EVO vs _____'s souped up palm pre.

and comparing bug fixing patches to an exhaust system(or whatever) upgrade on a muscle car is a tad different
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    It'll be really tough to get an unbiased opinion. I am in a very similar holding pattern. I am due for an upgrade in a month and know the itch to get a new device with all those bells and whistles will be hard to resist without hearing a (Real) sniff of a new WebOS product. There's quite a bit being posted at androidcentral and you will find many people there switched over from Pre, so maybe check that out. On this forum you're more likely to get ****** smackdown since everyone is so invested(?) to Palm.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Doesn't matter, the Iphone 4G just p'wed everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Doesn't matter, the Iphone 4G just p'wed everything.
    you mean along with all the errors there getting.. including one with the dock
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    But seeing uncertain future of a new WebOS device...
    You know, I really don't get this. I mean, folks, yes: the Evo and iPhone 4 have some very awesome hardware. That's not in dispute.

But what makes anyone think that webOS has an uncertain future? It's now owned by the largest technology company on the planet, that has made incredibly clear that they intend to put webOS on smartphones, tablets, netbooks, connected printers/multifunction devices, etc. They want to put webOS on 10's of millions of interconnected devices, with some of the strongest cloud services infrastructure on the planet connecting them all together.

Yes, we might not get a new webOS smartphone tomorrow. We might not even get one this year (although, I think we will). But, that in no way means that the future of a webOS device is "uncertain..."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You know, I really don't get this. I mean, folks, yes: the Evo and iPhone 4 have some very awesome hardware. That's not in dispute.

But what makes anyone think that webOS has an uncertain future? It's now owned by the largest technology company on the planet, that has made incredibly clear that they intend to put webOS on smartphones, tablets, netbooks, connected printers/multifunction devices, etc. They want to put webOS on 10's of millions of interconnected devices, with some of the strongest cloud services infrastructure on the planet connecting them all together.

Yes, we might not get a new webOS smartphone tomorrow. We might not even get one this year (although, I think we will). But, that in no way means that the future of a webOS device is "uncertain..."
    I guess I meant we (Palm enthusiasts) haven't had so much as a whiff of a new Palm model (The "C40" so far has led to NOTHING short of wild ****** fantasies). The original Pre was known more than 6 months before it was released, The EVO was known many months under a different name, the iPhone 4 was in someone's hands long before release.

Am I being ridiculous on my expectations of a company to provide a new product? Quite possibly. But today's world of smartphone releases is severely accelerated greater than even just 12-18 months ago.

I'm just anxious I guess.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    well i tend to side with traditional product reviews, "you turn this phone on and this is what it can do, you turn this phone on, and here's what you can do"

not "oh well u have to put this phone in dev mode then download webos doctor,WOSQI, USB to the computer, download the preware .ipk, install that, download a couple more programs, open preware install this patch and that patch and oh yeah this one and oops theres a bug, doctor your phone, do it all again...."

yeah absolutely not.
    As I said, I mostly agree with you. Where I depart is the word "can" because "can be heavily customized and personalized and improved by amazing homebrewers because it sits on a recognizable Linux stack and Palm actively supports their efforts" is actually one of the things it "can" do. Same goes for Android, to the extent that it can be done and Google doesn't actively break homebrew stuff the way Apple does...

So like any comparison - the reader needs to pick among the facts that are important to them - and any trade-off that comes with it. That's why I wish those posting here would provide very specific details instead of general impressions. That's also why I tell people to pick their carrier first. I'm sure I'd have an iPhone if it ran on Verizon... I won't have an Evo because it runs on Sprint - because using VZ is a critical factor for me - because of my job.

This forum was been mostly Sprint users for a long time because webOS was only available on Sprint. That made the active PC users a self-selecting group. With webOS being available on other carriers (and in other countries) it changes the demographics here. In a mostly Sprint demographic, one of my top reasons for not wanting an Evo is that it requires Sprint. Cost isn't the issue - my employer pays for it...

Another aspect of this self-selecting community is the tendency to be comfortable seeking info in forums, being more likely to tweak/patch, and stretch themselves to get what they want from their phone. This isn't CNET, where they try to create a generic comparison for grandma - even though Grandma probably doesn't read CNET...

So it may not be "fair" but it is still useful to readers of these forums to express views based on many non-standard aspects such as patches. For me, it's a feature that I can change the phone dialer from that nasty default green. It's a feature that I can sync contacts to my PC and not become genetically grafted onto Googles rather large rear end. For my wife, none of that matters. It wouldn't be as helpful if I couldn't find information from both perspectives here....

That's why I think it's better to include homebrew but to be clear that it isn't default stuff. Same with Android. I wish that people expressing their satisfaction with any Android phone would include any ROMs or tweaks that add to the column of things they like... because it is helpful to have that information from someone that understands where a webOS or PalmOS user is coming from. If I look of that info on an Android forum, I probably won't have the understanding or context to really understand the info. It's equally useless for an Android user to say "Sense UI is amazing" as it is for a webOS user to say "I don't like Evo because I prefer webOS"... That's content-free to the point of being useless.

What I really want is: I like to do xxx better on Android. Because, on Android I do it this way (details, details) and on webOS I do it that way (details, details) and here is the reason I prefer one way over the other. That reason may just be that I prefer it on Android because I don't have to use any homebrew stuff. Or it could be that both require homebrewing, but the results are different/better/etc.

For anyone still reading this ramble, I hope this will help to form good information that a primarily webOS-centric audience will be able to use.

But remember, kbritt31, I am mostly agreeing with you!!!
    @NaNplayer tweets about the EVO on twitter. You can check them out for the opinion of someone sane. If you want the opinion of some bitter ex-Pre owner who for some reason has not moved over to AndroidCentral and stopped cluttering this forum, they're all humping their EVO's over in Cross Platform Chat.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    <<Thread Merged Y'all>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/07/2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic