View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 128 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2878118123124125126127128129130131132133138178 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by tasnapper View Post
    I like the specs of the Evo, but I will give you several reasons why I am sticking with my pre. (1) I do not have $g service so I would be wasting $10 a month. (2) Webos is still a young but better operating system. I love being able to run multiple apps, and I don't think anyone has a better notification system. I will give it time to grow cause iphone and androd had its flaws when it first came out. (3) I do think that palm will make a better phone than the pre that may be just as good or better than the Evo, but even if they don't, Evo will be cheaper if I do decide to chage phones. I am sure that Evo is a good phone, but Webos has its advantages.
    Fair enough, you don't have 4G where you live, neither do I. However, every day I do travel to areas that have 4G coverage and I have broadband where I live so the phone connects to my WAP when I am at home.

Better? How so? The best OS in the world is nothing if the hardware it is on isn't up to the task. The apologists kill me. "Wait, WebOS is THE best in the world! But the hardware has issues, we know that but WebOS is the bestest!"

Am I to wait months and months to until calls stop failing for me and other apps fail to run properly? The very first app that should work, making calls, can't do it reliably every time and I have to accept that because WebOS is so darn special?

I've heard the comments too about "the next CPU is coming out in 6 months
    suckers! hahahah, you bought a phone thats going to be obsolete suckers!" Here's a little tip: We know that. We accept that. The Pre is obsolete already and so is every handset released 1 year ago.

Product life cycles being what they are demand we switch frequently. We can't just upgrade our hardware on the handsets like we can a desktop PC.

Apologize all you want. I've said it before, WebOS has serious potential but Palm treated all of us as beta testers for the past year and when I am paying good $$ for it I dislike that quite a bit.

The shortcomings of this platform were more than simply bad marketing and anyone that doesn't see that is living in a fantasy world.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    And don't forget the Mr. Fusion battery pack too
    And the flux capacitor.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    And the flux capacitor.....
    As long as there isn't a shortage of dilithium crystals to power it.

Well, this is good for Sprint. Even better for HTC combined with their Incredible on verizon.
    This is an interesting age in technology where the hardware is being updated almost as fast as google can churn out new desserts. You go back 3-5 yrs ago and it wasn't like this. New processors weren't leapfrogging their predecessors in a matter of months. Up until last year, improvements were incremental. The game is changing. This kind of technology explosion has not been seen. Snapdragon, Tegra2, Moorestown and so on. VGA screens becoming common. HDMI out with high def OTA streaming. It's just one thing after another. To sit and laugh at how buying something today will be obsolete in six months just makes no sense.

And us Sprint users can one advantage over everyone else (well except for iphone owners at AT&T that just got that contract dates pushed up). We're only stuck for one year at a time. With this tech explosion, being stuck for two years with something would be torture. Even better is many sprint users have multiple lines (like me) and juggle their smartphone purchases across lines to shorten that 1yr wait time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    does the EVO have a visual notification for missed calls/texts/email like the pre? that is, if my phone is on the charger and i'm not around when one of those said things happens it's nice to be able to walk past the pre and look to see if the notification light is blinking indicating there's something pending and i should grab the phone. just wondering if the EVO has this. it's an important feature to me.
    Whenever HPalm gets into it, it needs to be a ground-up re-release. Incremental upgrades are pointless. The Evo4G is essentially a Hero the same way the next WebOS phone is essentially a Pre. But every hardware spec - from the memory to processor to display to build quality to camera to storage capacity - across the board got an upgrade.

On the software side, they have to have a hotspot app officially along with a new point release of WebOS with some nifty new features (maybe a new Photos app that actually shows you the pictures without rendering them individually? A new media player? Options for Notification bar widgets for News and weather?)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    does the EVO have a visual notification for missed calls/texts/email like the pre? that is, if my phone is on the charger and i'm not around when one of those said things happens it's nice to be able to walk past the pre and look to see if the notification light is blinking indicating there's something pending and i should grab the phone. just wondering if the EVO has this. it's an important feature to me.
    Yes, the Evo has an LED notification that blinks when you have a notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    It does, indeed. Same green LED as the Hero, if I am not mistaken.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    There were 320k Evos sold on the first day alone. That's pretty impressive, and great news for Sprint.

Numbers according to Business Week: Sprint Says Evo 4G Phone Breaks One-Day Sales Record (Update1) - BusinessWeek
    Almost as many Evos on Sprint alone in one day as there were Pre and Pixis sold across multiple carriers during last quarter (90 days).

Is it any wonder why carriers are making Android the flagship smartphone platform?
    don't disagree. how about a step further. I want more than notification bar widgets, I want it on my wallpaper even if it's a full screen one. Let me put my agenda on there, double tap and go to my favorite teams and their scores, double tap to the weather, double tap to the latest stock quotes or engadgets top five stories. Press and hold on that to get taken to the app.

Can we say removable storage? I've been using more microSD in my cameras, even my SLR with a class 10 Kingston. To be able to pop the card in, browse, and upload would be real nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Whenever HPalm gets into it, it needs to be a ground-up re-release. Incremental upgrades are pointless. The Evo4G is essentially a Hero the same way the next WebOS phone is essentially a Pre. But every hardware spec - from the memory to processor to display to build quality to camera to storage capacity - across the board got an upgrade.

On the software side, they have to have a hotspot app officially along with a new point release of WebOS with some nifty new features (maybe a new Photos app that actually shows you the pictures without rendering them individually? A new media player? Options for Notification bar widgets for News and weather?)
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    and Android will now get some webOS help from Matias Duarte. It will be interesting to see what he brings to the table to improve the user experience. He was the VP of Human Interface and User Experience at Palm and is now the user experience director of android.

Palm's road to success is uphill and steep.
  13. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    LOL I just went to androidcentral for the first time in my life. In the EVO section of their forum they're complaining about poor wifi reception, random restarts, bugs/lockups when writing to the SD card, poor camera/video quality, etc.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    LOL I just went to androidcentral for the first time in my life. In the EVO section of their forum they're complaining about poor wifi reception, random restarts, bugs/lockups when writing to the SD card, poor camera/video quality, etc.
    Every phone has issues at launch. I'm sure they can laugh as well when the come on to Pre Central and see the numerous complaints.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It does, indeed. Same green LED as the Hero, if I am not mistaken.
    This is correct.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Does Palm have a patent on touchstone-like charging? I'm just curious why no other phones offer something equivalent. If the EVO had something like that, I would switch.
    LOL, do you really want to go there XTN? Maybe you should scroll through this forum's pages to June of last year and see how riddled it was with Pre complaints, many of which weren't/aren't fixable by a firmware update.

Show me one major smartphone that didn't have issues at it's inception. And I type this as I get the TMC error with just two web cards and an email card open.
    I haven't had any of those problems yet. But Android is not perfect either, just different.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    No, Palm does not have a patent on induction charging. iPhone has tons of cases and power mats out.

BTW, battery life on my EVO is about... oh... I don't know... 3+ times better than my Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLogan View Post
    Every phone has issues at launch. I'm sure they can laugh as well when the come on to Pre Central and see the numerous complaints.
    Good thing the Pre's been around for a year and Palm has already squashed the "too many cards" error, random luna restarts and phone reboots, the Oreo effect, numerous Exchange issues, alarms not working, the web browser deciding to reload the page when you no longer have an internet connection, random email accounts being deleted for no apparent reason, and all the other significant issues the Pre had. Oh wait...