View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 124 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2474114119120121122123124125126127128129134174 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 3633
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregandTink View Post
    I truly hope we get a new platform for this OS, but with HP CEO announcing he doesn't want to get into the smartphone market doesn't look good for us.
    Well, HP did retract that statement...kinda. It seemed more like them "saying" the right thing but Id like to see some action before I believe them.

My opinion is that they didn't buy Palm for smart phones, they saw the potential in WebOS for their current products (printers....groan) and the emerging Tablet Market (awesome!) Smartphones will still be supported but I just don't see them putting enough effort to compete with the big boys and every day they do nothing is another chunk of potential WebOS users looking at something else.
    at this rate by the time hp and palm release somthin they wont have anybody to sell it to.......
    Trust me, in 6 months in December, the specs on the EVO will be outdated...just like the Pre looked outdated by December 2009. That's just how technology evolves. I think the Pre had the fastest mobile processor at its launch, just like the EVO has the fastest processor currently. That's why I don't mind people comparing the EVO to the Pre - a product released June 2010 must have better hardware than a product launched in June 2009. When Palm finally does introduce a new product, you'd be a fool to think that it still has one year old hardware. The EVO set a new gold standard for future smartphones. When the next 4g android phone launches in a few months, people will be flocking to that phone just like people are flocking to the EVO. We're attracted by the newest and latest, and in the techolnogy world, that changes every couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Omg, that Evo is beautiful. And its barley bigger than my Moment. And I'm sure its lighter.
    No, the Moment is 161g, the Evo is 170g. Personally, coming from the Pre to the Moment I tested for a week, I thought that was huge and heavy, too, especially the freaking keyboard and it was another on a list of reasons for why it got sent back, but whatever. Different tastes.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    EVO owners - Anyone have an opinion on media playback (both video and audio)? When it comes to media sync and playback then Im happily trapped in the Apple ecosystem and reliant on my iPad/iPhone to enjoy content. But if I go EVO then what?

Podcasts - Currently I get them through iTunes so I need to sync daily. I've used double twist with Pre but it's so slow in syncing playlists, so what's good for Android

Audiobooks - Audible support? Does it remember your position?

Music - How does the onboard audio player rank in comparison to the iPod App and the Pre Music Player

Video - A major drawback for Apple is they lock out standard video content like AVIs. How does the EVO handle these.

Video Out - How is playing video files in the big screen? Any video_ts support? I'd like to eliminate my notebook when traveling short trips so HDMI out is a cool feature

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    Trust me, in 6 months in December, the specs on the EVO will be outdated...just like the Pre looked outdated by December 2009. That's just how technology evolves. I think the Pre had the fastest mobile processor at its launch, just like the EVO has the fastest processor currently. That's why I don't mind people comparing the EVO to the Pre - a product released June 2010 must have better hardware than a product launched in June 2009. When Palm finally does introduce a new product, you'd be a fool to think that it still has one year old hardware. The EVO set a new gold standard for future smartphones. When the next 4g android phone launches in a few months, people will be flocking to that phone just like people are flocking to the EVO. We're attracted by the newest and latest.
    The longer Palm/HP waits will only make it harder to get some users to flock back to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    EVO owners - Anyone have an opinion on media playback (both video and audio)? When it comes to media sync and playback then Im happily trapped in the Apple ecosystem and reliant on my iPad/iPhone to enjoy content. But if I go EVO then what?
    I don't use itunes but I've heard that double twist is one alternative to itunes on the android platform.

http://lifehacker.com/5380478/is-dou...es-alternative
    brick? the pre is twice as fat as evo. Who are you guys kidding
    Im sure others can chime in but I was on line for the EVO and there were 8 people with me and 5 of us were dumping PRES. WHen i went into Sprint to buy a case yesterday they said ( Which we all knew) it was mostly Pre owners switching ( not counting new owners) . Thats a bad thing. Where is the PALM OS base supposed to come from. The only people who would buy a WEB OS device ( as we saw with the PRE) is the Palm Die hards like us and now a whole lot of us are tied up with 1 or 2 year contracts . And once people resign up for the new iphone who is going to buy a new webos phone.( the success of the EVO is also in part to Pre and Iphone contracts coming up. I wouldnt have gotten it iif my contract wasnt up) I for one wouldnt break my contract and pay full price for a phone. IF and thats a big IF HP had a new phone coming out in late 2010 or early 2011 they needed to let people know before the mass exodus. Just a total lack of perception of the market. The phone was a commercial faliure with the built in customer base. Now that there gone they would be selling to a few. No Iphone or Android fan would leave somethign so popular for WEBOS . HP really did kill any chance of comemrical success already. Sure alot of you still want it , will buy it but if it doesnt do well commercially no one will support it (developers) and it will head the way of Windows Mobile.
    Really guys, the EVO is not that huge. I don't have one but I played with it at my local Sprint store.

The only reason temperatures are soaring is because this is a Pre/Pixi Community and people keep posting about the EVO.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    would think webOS would depend upon repeat customers as well as former PalmOS customers to help build a basic user base. If webOS owners are coming in and switching it speaks volumes in regards to the fact that the prehuggers on here are a minority. Many of us may like a lot about webOS, but we're far from the prehugging crowd that is present in the blind bashing aspect of this thread and any other thread that says anything positive about the competition and negative about webOS.

and I mentioned double twist a page or two ago. Supposed to be a nice media player as well as sync with itunes.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I dont understand being married to one operating system. I love WEB OS but I also like Android and if the IPHONE did what i want it to I would have no problem lovin the iphone. As I said before I dont get a check from HP . I dont work for HP. I have no allegiance to buy a phone from HP. but if it fits what I need then I will.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/06/2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    No Iphone or Android fan would leave somethign so popular for WEBOS . HP really did kill any chance of comemrical success already. Sure alot of you still want it , will buy it but if it doesnt do well commercially no one will support it (developers) and it will head the way of Windows Mobile.
    Agreed, the android platform is starting to saturate the marketplace with more and more phones being released. The longer this goes on, the harder it becomes for HPalm to get users back. They need updated handsets released sooner than later in order to become anything more than a niche platform.
    It's almost sad how defensive some can get about their OS. PalmOS was unique and that love developed for well over a decade for many, including myself. With the death of PalmOS and Palm abandoning anything unique by taking to the cloud like all the other OS's, there isn't anything "special" any more. Homebrew is as close as it gets for me. But I'm just about finding a phone/OS that best suits my needs and making sure the pros of it outweigh the cons.

I'd like to agree about loving the iphone, but itunes goes along with it, and I just can't go there. I joke around about it to my iphone touting friends, but I also pass along cool app info and general info to them when I see it. I wish we could ditch the prehugger and android loving responses and stick to good comparisons of features and things that actually matter. This sucks, that's a brick, that's a chunky brick and so on are just useless statements as are most five minute hands on reviews. It's easy to play with something for five minutes and say it was cumbersome to do X, Y and Z when I can zip zoom and fly on my phone that I've had for months and months and have it customized perfectly to my liking (in either camp). Heck, I try to create a separate thread to get away from that, and it gets squashed and moved back to here. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I dont understand being marrid to one operating system. I love WEB OS but I also like Android and if the IPHONE did what i want it to I would have no problem lovin the iphone. As I said before I dont get a check from HP . I dont work for HP. I have no allegiance to buy a phone from HP. but if it fits what I need then I will.

Palm is also doing a good job of alienating a certain level of business user that does document editing on their phones. We're 1yr out now and there still isn't a document editing solution for webOS. DTG was the best $10 I've spent on Android even when I was switching back to webOS. I knew it'd come in handy.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/06/2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Just imagine this phone with webOS.....maybe it could be hacked to run other platforms......?
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie121 View Post
    Just imagine this phone with webOS.....maybe it could be hacked to run other platforms......?
    The person that led the user interface team for Palm and WebOS now works for Google.

Also, I love the speech to text option for text messages. It'll help when driving and being able to talk into your bluetooth to reply to a message.
    WebOS right now in its current state wouldnt be ready for the evo. It would need a lot more features to satisfy the Evo's hardware.
    "Candy Bar" Form Factor...

Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Really guys, the EVO is not that huge. I don't have one but I played with it at my local Sprint store.

The only reason temperatures are soaring is because this is a Pre/Pixi Community and people keep posting about the EVO.
    let them hate lol. im going to post a video of me typing one handed when i get my EVO tomorrow to shut everyone up
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Yes, android can do multi-tasking. Some say not as well as WebOS. It works fine for me, all how you use your phone I suppose. It was a pre killer in the aspect that it replaced my Pre.

Ill tell you what I love about android multitasking, WEBPAGES DO NOT RELOAD!!

yup, have a bunch of tabs open of webpages? Restassured you will not have to wait for the webpage to reload when you go back to it!!!!

The mail app on the pre is so much better though, thats when the pre and iphone have android beat. Especially the pre.