View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 121 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2171111116117118119120121122123124125126131171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 3633
    It was a convincing photo. I saw it and it convinced me to buy a EVO. What a beautiful screen, I wanted a larger screen ( personal Preference)

I honestly dont think you can compare a Pre and EVO they are 2 different types of phones. They are like Felix and Oscar. Balki and Cousin Larry. Abbot and Costello. Ones a large phone, the others a small phone. One is a clamshell the other a slate. One is a slider and the other is not. One has a Keyboard and the other does not. They even have different size battery . One runs WEB OS and the other runs Android. there so different and hit different segments of the market. Evo would be better compared to a Iphone . more similar. Pre to a Blackberry. I guess. its like comparing a Vette to a Camaro. Both nice and both do the job but totally different.

As for the size of the Evo screen its all about taste and I definetly can see some folks who will never like a screen that large . but honestly it it not as big in person as it look in pics and the Pre isnt as small as it looks in pictures. Evo fits in the same car holder my Pre was in .Fits fine in pocket and in hand BUT yes its a larger screen. Both Pre and EVO are great phones but comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.
    which one is Lavernw, and which is Shirley?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I think the million $ question is can one get used to the android interface coming from webOS.
    It is a double-edge sword. I love the customization, but there is too much customization.

Multi-tasking is not great on this device. I like the recent six app thing, but webOS is still king in multi-tasking.

As I use it more, I'm loving it! The big screen has made Android much more usable and I love using the voice to text feature. Makes typing easier even though I can type faster on my Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The Evo is decent and really fast at loading apps but it really blows at 3d games. I downloaded asphalt 5 and it ran really laggy compared to real smooth on the pre.
    I agree that 3D gaming is not great, but the use of emulators on Android is very easy to do and playing classics like Mario, Final Fantasy, Zelda, and much more will be worth it compared to other mobile games. It doesn't look pretty, but it has hours and hours of gameplay that deplete my battery in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Or its for guys who don't wear tight pants that require tiny phones.

As much as people say the phone "looks" huge, in most pockets it doesn't feel different than an iPhone, wallet or even a Pre. Maybe I don't have as sensitive of a "swimsuit area" as others so Keys, wallet, phone or whatever can be in any pocket and I don't know what's in my pockets until I check. I'm not saying the EVO is the perfect size, I just don't think it's as ridiculous as some claim.
    I don't understand the "EVO is too big for pockets" comments. Ragging on the supposed inability to put the EVO in a pants pocket is just silly and untrue unless you're wearing skintight pants, in which case the Pre and every other phone in existence are too big as well.

All the "EVO is too big" people are going to be wetting themselves and saying how utterly amazing it is if HPalm releases a new phone with a similar form-factor to the iPhone/EVO anyway. I look forward to seeing who the hypocrites are if that day comes. Personally I don't think that day will come given that HPalm seems to be more interested in tablets and printers, but I'll gladly eat my words if they release a new phone.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Hi fellow Precentralers,
    I have grown to love my Pre, I have been here since the beginning and have seen this phone develop with first homebrew, then filecoaster, then preware with patches. I am really connected to this phone. My update date is July 2nd. My plan from the beginning has been to wait for the Pre 2 or whatever it will be called and immediately get it once it comes out. Of course though, as a geek I had to go check out the Evo today. To put it lightly, it is pure amazingness (yes I know thats not a word). The geek in me is just yelling "GET IT!". While I do know that I would like to wait till the new webOS hardware comes out (which better be soon) to make my final desision I am having a hard time convincing myself to not get the Evo on the 2nd. I just would love to keep webOS. It has everything I want (besides the hardware and I wouldnt mind some more apps) and have seen it grow like a baby. So I guess the purpose of this thread was to ask for some words of encouragement to keep myself motivated to wait for the new webOS phone.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    I was thinking Lenny and Squiggy ( or the Big Ragu )

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    which one is Lavernw, and which is Shirley?
    I'm in the exact same boat. I also went to see the evo today. The screen is amazing, it's fast, it's a great phone. BUT, I felt like I was using windows mobile, the OS is so cluttered clunky and overall un-impressive. I've been down with Android and developing apps for it since its release. But I cannot use it on a daily basis after WebOS. So, I'm going to wait for Palm and I hope they do not let me down. The Evo will only get cheaper as I wait As a professional interface designer I can say WebOS is the best mobile os out there, even better than iPhone OS. But it's just a bit slow, and I know updates and new hardware will remedy that. Plus, it's the newest OS on the scene so it's got a lot of growing up to do.
    Funny someone posted over at future handelds that, someone was told from a source that the new Pre will be 4.3 like the EVO and you were right. Love for the larger PRE. Good Call.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post

All the "EVO is too big" people are going to be wetting themselves and saying how utterly amazing it is if HPalm releases a new phone with a similar form-factor to the iPhone/EVO anyway.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    There's only so long you can wait on Palm, especially when they haven't given us any timetable on a new device and not even the slightest detail.

My current plan is to get the Evo 4G and then switch back to Palm next year since I assume they will have something out by then. The plan is subject to change of course.
    its hard to think you are missing out on something. Good things come to those that wait. If your pre does the job, why rush? If there is something that would REALLY do the job better, grab it. But if it just seems shiny and new... There will be others shinier and newer between now and christmas...

don't change just to change, chan.ge with purpose
    i guess we could call that thing the PrePad !! lol ha h a
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Really, smaller than the Pre? I'd love to see a picture of that.
    Here ya go. I didn't measure it, but this picture should help.

I have an Evo and its great, but I still love my Pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thats pretty good , I think PrEVO is a good one also.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i guess we could call that thing the PrePad !! lol ha h a
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I don't understand the "EVO is too big for pockets" comments. Ragging on the supposed inability to put the EVO in a pants pocket is just silly and untrue unless you're wearing skintight pants, in which case the Pre and every other phone in existence are too big as well.

All the "EVO is too big" people are going to be wetting themselves and saying how utterly amazing it is if HPalm releases a new phone with a similar form-factor to the iPhone/EVO anyway. I look forward to seeing who the hypocrites are if that day comes. Personally I don't think that day will come given that HPalm seems to be more interested in tablets and printers, but I'll gladly eat my words if they release a new phone.
    I've been saying that the evo is too big, even if it ran webOS (for me - others would love it). I just played with an evo, and it is too big. Don't want people thinking I am trying to compensate...
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Thats pretty good , I think PrEVO is a good one also.
    dude i was being sarcastic , remember the ipad ? get it ?! never mind lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    Holy ****, i didnt think the evo was that big, thats like a dang iPad.

thats why i posted that we could call it a PrePad!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    I have an Evo right now. Its a great phone for sure but it definitely does have its flaws. I still like webOS a lot more than android thats for sure. I miss the ease of multitasking and the patches for the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    (He means this photo.)

I held one of the dummy models in a RadioShack over the weekend and it is indeed large, flat & thin. Putting it in your back pocket & sitting down would be an expensive experience.

Playing with it reminded me of all those joke images of someone holding an iPad up to their ear like it was an iPhone.
    Who puts their cellphone in their back pocket?
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    you guys are nuts. I just played with an evo and I would take it over the pre any day... If it had webos. I already had android and hated it. Doesn't matter how fast it goes. It's definatley not to big. I feel my pre more in my pocket because it's fatter. And who puts their cell phone in the back pocket? That's a big no no lol. I loved the screen. I surf the net and stuff a lot so the pre needs to get bigger for me.
    Well, I tried to wait it out but my fix for some new hardware overwhelmed me as I found myself at Radioshack yesterday morning bright and early.

I have been a Palm user for the last 5 years. On day 2 with my HTC Evo! I will admit that at first I was very hesitant about making the switch. In fact, I still have my Pre sitting on the touchstone on my night stand. I finally had to turn it off this afternoon because even with phone service, I was still getting all my notifications from Wi-fi. Yesterday was sort of frustrating for me as I found myself out of habit trying to swipe my cards away and repeat gestures that I have become all to familiar with. So, needless to say, yesterday was a rough transitional day for me. I can say that the build quality of the Evo blows the Palm pre out of the water. Although there is no other operating system that functions with such ease and elegance as WebOs, it just doesn't offer enough. I can't believe all the bells and whistles that I've been missing up until now. When I navigate through my Pre, I feel somewhat bored. There really is no wow factor or features to compare Pre to Evo. Yes, there is more thought and effort navigating through this massive but all so awesome 4.3" Evo but what a diffence in over all viewing. As far as phone size goes, it may be larger but the thickness and overall feel of the phone in my pocket has not bothered me at all. One feature that im finding very useful is the voice search. Just talk to your phone and it will find it for you. Texting was a concern for me but I have not had any issues because of the size of the virtual keyboard. Why type when you can speak a simple sentence which has so far been accurate about 95% of time. I have crossed over to the dark side and I will have to admit that I truely am liking it. There is just so much to do and so many apps to view. Hopefully someday I will find my way back to WebOs when its got the hardware to back it. I will keep waiting and watching as I follow from Precentral and all its great members. Thanks for all the wonderful imformation this past year and Good luck to all.

ARB0171