View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 12 of 182 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast
    Android is the biggest reason I'm uninterested. But there's also other reasons why I'm uninterested:

• It's the first phone with a WiMax radio, when WiMax won't be in my area and where I travel for at least a year. By the time WiMax is widespread enough for me to use, there will be newer phones.
    • Current iterations of WiMax radios (in modems and the like) are more power-hungry than CDMA radios, which are already more power-hungry than GSM radios. We know that the Evo has a 1500 mAh battery, but is that enough?
    • The front-facing camera is neat in principle, but honestly I know I'd never use it.
    • The rear-facing camera is 8MP, but it's got a tiny lens that seems to be about the size of the camera in the Pre. What's the point of adding pixels to the camera if you're not going to work on the optics? In other words, I'd have to see pictures from the camera before I'd be impressed.
    • I'm not a fan of the size, though I know others are.
    • I'd need a keyboard.
    • The 1GHz Snapdragon (based on the Cortex A8) powering it is very powerful right now, but in 6 months or so we should start getting the next leap forward in performance based on the Cortex A9, whether that's Tegra2, or OMAP4, or whatever.

HDMI Out is neat though.

Don't get me wrong, the specs on paper are great, and there are definitely those that will be very happy with it. But it's not for me, and as mentioned above, I'm skeptical of some stuff until I see it in action.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03/24/2010 at 07:15 PM.
    The Specs are pretty amazing but its not WebOS thats pretty much it...oh and i luv physical keyboard....if there was no Physical Keyboard i would still take it with open arms....but has to be WebOS =)
    Cuz I want a phone that looks and feels like a 79 Buick Riviera. No thanks, I am happy with my Pre.
    that evo 4g looks great but reasons i probably will stick with the pre is the multi-tasking, the phsyical keyboard, and the size of the phone, so much packed into such a compact package....plus the homebrew and patching community is 2nd to none for this phone. maybe im jus not as picky as others with what i want my phone 2 do. Best phone i ever had!
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    ....plus the homebrew and patching community is 2nd to none for this phone. maybe im jus not as picky as others with what i want my phone 2 do. Best phone i ever had!

Thats a great point. I think some times I take them for granted. They are an amazing bunch.
    I also have no interest in switching from my Pre. As others have mentioned, Android is a train wreck, and the lack of a physical keyboard is a non-starter. After having used webOS for awhile now, I'm far too spoiled to use anything else.
    is this another thread about you not leaving Pre for another phone..good god how many of these do we need??
    about as many if not more than the threads about "I'm leaving Palm for ..." ;-)
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Another thing about webOS. We have guys like Rod Whitby (and everyone at webOS Internals), Jason Robitaille, Xorg, and many, many more that take our OS and extend the heck out of it (mentioned above by mksand28). I think it's so cool that I can set cron to back up my device using rsync over Samba wirelessly to a shared drive on my Mac. Freaking sweet.

If you take a look at all the patches we have available it's just amazing. Can Android do that?
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    what an amazing phone
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    the difference between at&t and sprint is about 30 million people and i doubt one phone is going to do that much for sprint. and the nexus one isn't a great seller anyways.

i think sprint will be a small boost of subscribers once the evo comes out but nothing drastic. i'm sure we're going to start seeing lots of 4g phones in the near future.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm going to try hard to wait and see what Palm comes up with because I love webOS so much, but *******, that is some serious phone right there.

I would kill to see webOS running on a snapdragon, beaming through a 4.3" AMOLED screen. And the apps come marching in...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    Some of us are just "stuck in our ways."

Unfortunately, down the road I have a feeling that physical keyboards will be on the way out.
    i don't think it's that some of us are stuck in our ways with physical keyboards, i think it's that it's more comfortable and efficient. everyone is different and likes different things. i have an iPod Touch and even after four years of owning it i still type slow as hell on it.

anyways - the evo is a great phone but i know i wouldn't even begin to use a quarter of what it has to offer so why even waste my money on it. my pixi plus does everything and more than what i expected from it. plus i'd take verizon 3g over sprint 4g any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Another thing about webOS. We have guys like Rod Whitby (and everyone at webOS Internals), Jason Robitaille, Xorg, and many, many more that take our OS and extend the heck out of it (mentioned above by mksand28). I think it's so cool that I can set cron to back up my device using rsync over Samba wirelessly to a shared drive on my Mac. Freaking sweet.

If you take a look at all the patches we have available it's just amazing. Can Android do that?
    Yes it can. Its open source.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    the two cameras and big screen make it pretty attractive, but I will wait and see what (if any) palm's next offering will be.

though for a fast & big screen Android experience, I'm considering instead the whole bunch of new tablets coming out, like the 5" Dell Streak or Hott MD500, Archos 7, or Notion Ink Adam (10" LCD/E-ink hybrid display ). Better battery life and no contracts to worry about, all would work perfectly tethered/hotspotted to the Pre/Pre2. It could be a good combo, the best of both worlds
    I don't know about #2 but they will definitely see a good increase with this phone. The hw is a beast and ppl like the "wow" factor of it. It's the latest and greatest and the "Up to 720p" video recorder will be attractive to many people.

Personally, EVO type spec'd hw + WebOS = dominance.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    im sticking with webOs i hate droid all my friends have droid phones and they all try to talk **** but they don't understand the potential of webOs because their n00bs and trolls but in all seriousness palm needs to kick out a phone with some better hardware and a bigger screen or soon enough they'll be left in the dust plus we need people to port more apps to webOS if have a nice appstore similar to apple's and a new sleek phone with nice hardware and palm WIll sell
    I can not wait, more information came out today, they will not be charging extra for 4G or the mobile hotspot feature.

Gonna be awesome, especially because all of the different cities I spent 95% of my time in have 4G.
    source?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    I can not wait, more information came out today, they will not be charging extra for 4G or the mobile hotspot feature.

Gonna be awesome, especially because all of the different cities I spent 95% of my time in have 4G.
    wait, wait.........they will not be charging for the mobile hot spot feature? OMG.....I think I just came in my pants......againafter seeing the phone yesterday. I will seriously consider canceling my home internet if thats the case.