View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 118 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1868108113114115116117118119120121122123128168 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 3633
    hot spot hasn't been hacked out of froyo yet. The evo has been rooted though do throwing froyo on is or will be possible soon. I just don't think you can throw hot spot costs into the cost comparison. Only Verizon gives that away for free and only on webOS. And not everyone needs or wants hotspot which is why I don't think you can toss it into a comparison and be fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you drive THAT far every day? Wow!
    Yep.
    I have to fill up at the gas station twice a week.
    You youngsters just don't know how good you have it... When I was young, we walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, up hill in both directions.... and we were THANKFUL!
    Youngster?!? I was old when I joined these forums - now I'm decrepit too. I've learned that there are three things you lose when you get to be my age: 1. Perspective and 2. Memory ...
    notifications aren't always there. You have to wait on them. I do on occasion check out friends' statuses on FB. With the always there widget I can just cycle through. Don't think I'd want a notifications every time someone updates a status. Plus thenotification bars would take over the entire screen if you didn't keep up with them.

And agenda is an app with horrible spacing that requires a ton of scrolling and has very little customization. Credit to the guy for developing it, but I want my home screen always showing my upcoming appts for the next two weeks.

Resource wise, you don't want three pages of always active widgets. I mean you still have to be smart about things just like you wouldn't run your Pre at 800mhz all day long and expect the battery to last.

outside of widgets....

Google voice... Not on webOS and youview isn't free for the same features plus you'd have to forward or change your number.

Docs To Go. I use word and excel all week long. Quick editing and updating on the phone is very valuable.

No answers for those two on webOS.
    my one big negative of android is email, even with Sense. Still not seamless and full featured across the board. They need to get over gmail being the prince and everything else the pauper. Full folder support across the board. All features standard across the board. UI the same across the board. Syncing for contacts, calendar and tasks for all sources.

K9 is an option but it's far from perfect, a little klunky and has sync issues. But again, a great effort from people that aren't getting paid for it.

And a general vanilla android beef. What's the major issue with black text on a white background. For as unpolished as android is graphically, white on black looks like *****. Thank god for Sense and 3rd party SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yep.
    I have to fill up at the gas station twice a week.
    You know there are houses for sale up there, right?
    The app store of Android is awesome. I didnt know what I was missing with apps until today. and alot of them are free or atleast you can try them . I personally love WEB OS as everyone here but the app store for web os is terrible. The difference in apps between web os and Andrpoid is night and day. Its not Palms fault that the developers stay away from WEBOS . Theres just more money to be made in apps for Android and Iphone at the moment. If HP ever gets WEB OS up to 3rd or 4th status after Iphone, Blackberry and Android then things will change.
    I went to try out the EVO today, the screen is huge. The phone has a nice light weight but solid feel to it. However, compaired to the palm pre. I was immeditally turned off on not having the synergy that the webos does. Nothing was linked to my contacts except information. No hard linkage. Oh woop de do, google is jam packed into the device in every nook and cranny, but what about the rest of the world?

The voice to text features were very nice, the interface was definatly a so-so on my end.

But the first thing I noticed was how hard it was to navigate around compaired to the pre. Nothing I couldn't get used to.

Through the 30minutes I used the phone, I felt it hard not to want to use a physical keyboard. I wanted to use gestures to navigate everything but I couldn't I had to click a button.

I didn't like the way it handled the applications available to open, only showing the most recent 6 and then putting the rest into a hold state. And no way to kill the tasks (without a 3rd party app). The application market was huge and fairly able to use, but I need more to a phone then just a huge application field. I need useability.

And last but not least, it could have just been me. But I was making ALOT of clicks when scrolling through the device by accident. I don't know what the difference is between the Palm Pre screen and this device. But I was clicking everything I didn't want to, apps as I would scroll, windows I didn't want to go to etc.

All in all, it was a damn fine device, huge overwhelming screen. But I couldn't drop my phone as I answered a call and gave the evo back. I have enough evolution in my hand already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I didn't like the way it handled the applications available to open, only showing the most recent 6 and then putting the rest into a hold state. And no way to kill the tasks (without a 3rd party app).
    What do you mean by "hold state?" You realize that all the background tasks are running full up in their own thread, right?

I agree that the internal task killer is kludgey - so much so that it sounds like you couldn't even find it. But there are so many well-written, seamless, 3rd-party task managers out there that will make you hate that one-card-at-a-time, card-after-card method required by the Pre.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Went to EVO.

Android UI is terrible compared to WebOS. I had never been so lost using a phone as I was today. There is no way someone could have continued to keep this so bad unless there was an obvious effort to avoid every single software patent out there (which is probably why)

That said, a little bit of time getting to know clumsy user-interface and I got VPN PPTP into my office, connected via RDP, and got some work done. I then logged into the Mint App to check financials, got into BoA app to transfer funds, read news about sling player beta for Android, and had a sigh of relief. Mission accomplished.

I really want to stay with the Pre but the applications just arent here (pardon my half-baked analogy): Its like trying to go exactly 20 miles with a rocket ship (Android) vs walking (Pre). Im realize now I am willing to put up with landing several times in the wrong spot vs tiring of walking. Plus I get to visit the moon and see the iPhone base there
    Last edited by zonyl; 06/04/2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    What do you mean by "hold state?" You realize that all the background tasks are running full up in their own thread, right?

I agree that the internal task killer is kludgey - so much so that it sounds like you couldn't even find it. But there are so many well-written, seamless, 3rd-party task managers out there that will make you hate that one-card-at-a-time, card-after-card method required by the Pre.

Let me state right now that i've never used a andriod phone. And neither do I do the research in it. The sprint people at the store, couldn't really give me any more of a explanation so I had to gather that from what I heard.

So, obviously if thats the case then ok.

And correct I could not find a default task killer? Just a Task Killer Free thing in the All Apps list. It showed the running apps and check marks to close them.

Either way, in the end it does not compare to the simplistic nature of the webos task removing and viewing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    And correct I could not find a default task killer? Just a Task Killer Free thing in the All Apps list. It showed the running apps and check marks to close them.

Either way, in the end it does not compare to the simplistic nature of the webos task removing and viewing to me.

The built-in task manager is pretty lame and buried in the Settings menu hierarchy. I use Task Panel which is a slick program with a lot of customization features and a couple of user-defined Widgets. It's better than the Pre in that you can quickly list everything that's running on a scrollable screen and switch to or kill apps with a tap or two, but it's no where nearly as elegant or intuitive as WebOS' approach.
    But you don't need to "kill" apps unless you like to download and use badly written ones. Well written apps are managed by the OS just fine. Granted a little x box would be nice, but it's never bothered me.

Zonyl, how do you get lost? It can be as basic as the Pre or the iPhone with the center on screen button to bring up the app list and the basic PIM apps on the home screen. You could actually use the phone and never go away from the main home screen. It would be as full featured as the iphone or Pre. You can swipe left or right to go to different home screens. And now is where the OS starts to shine. Creating start screens that are customized to how you use the phone. You can put app icons, widgets, toggles for functionality and so on. You can have a home screen that gives you or your social access. Say widgets for info to facebook and twitter, app buttons for linkedin and maybe a forum shortcut or two. You can have a web one with a widget for bookmarks, youtube, the engadget app and so on. Maybe a work oriented home screen with an agenda widget that blows away the app on webOS, app buttons for various email accounts that show how many new emails you have, maybe a visual voicemail widget or just the app button. The possibilities are endless to give you the quickest and easiest access to the information and apps that you want or need most.

But if you want it simple, you don't have to do any of that. You could just use home screens for apps arranged the way you want and still have the all encompassing app list. But if that's what you want, then you might as well stick with webOS.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    It seems over whelming when first trying android . Its totally different then WEB OS. But after maybe 2 hours you start to say "oh yeah". You can do everything you can do on a Iphone or Pre just in a differnet way. Some better then web os and some not as easy.Then you see all these apps that do everything and you get amazed. And having a home screen thats customizable is a plus. Android when you get the hang of it does most thing as well or better then webos and is extremly user friendly with a learning curve BUT and this is a big but , nothing beats "Cards" thats where WEB OS has it all over Android. Cards are an amazing thing. The ability to swipe away an app. to go app to app with the cards. Nothing beats that. I still am trying to swipe away some Android apps. Force of habit.With the designer of WEB os and the Cards now working on Android i expect something in the next update after Froyo to clean that up but again Nothing beats the card feature of WEB OS. Nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    my one big negative of android is email, even with Sense. Still not seamless and full featured across the board. They need to get over gmail being the prince and everything else the pauper. Full folder support across the board. All features standard across the board. UI the same across the board. Syncing for contacts, calendar and tasks for all sources.

K9 is an option but it's far from perfect, a little klunky and has sync issues. But again, a great effort from people that aren't getting paid for it.

And a general vanilla android beef. What's the major issue with black text on a white background. For as unpolished as android is graphically, white on black looks like *****. Thank god for Sense and 3rd party SMS.

It's the Google lock in, the one true drawback of Android. Not that Google's bad exactly(sometimes you wonder though when reports come out), but take a good look at Android and you know it's Google's OS and they make sure you remember that. But people want it that way, it seems. AT&T was able to remove Google for Yahoo search on the Backflip, people got very upset over that.

BTW, I LOVE the white on black text. Very refreshing change and looks more modern to me. But they should have an option to change back to the usual black on white, IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    But you don't need to "kill" apps unless you like to download and use badly written ones. Well written apps are managed by the OS just fine. Granted a little x box would be nice, but it's never bothered me.
    Are the "badly written" apps labeled in the app market so users will know? Otherwise, they have to be able to figure out which apps are mis-behaving and then use a tool to kill them...."
    Here's my pros for webOS:
    1. Card Multitasking. It is slick, elegant and all that blah blah blah. We all know what we like about it.
    2. Notifications. Unobtrusive and efficient.
    3. Patches. Customizing the OS to exactly how I like it. Very unique and not replicated on other OS's even through rooting.
    4. It does email well. All types of email get the same treatment, and it has good folder support.
    5. Preferable hardware styles, but that's personal. I like portrait style phones with real keyboards at this stage in the game.

Android:
    1. Multiple customizable home screens. Not on webOS
    2. Widgets: live info, compact versions of apps with quick access to important features. not on webOS.
    3. The level of apps, ability to try paid apps and get a refund. Better app store overall.
    4. built in visual voicemail with no GV needed. Not on webOS. Why is that? Bonehead move IMHO.
    5. the ability to use GV for visual voicemail with its own dedicated app.
    6. Document editing. No explanation needed.
    7. Hotspot capability. Evo specific. VZ does it for free for webOS though.
    8. BT: Personally I have an easier time connecting various devices in Android. YMMV
    9. Voice Activation. Have seen my buddy use it. It's pretty slick from the phone app to nav to searches, and I'm sure it does more. Will definitely take better advantage of it with the Evo.
    10. Google Nav: It's free and a nice plus for those not on Sprint or a nice alternative for those that are.

As VP says, Android can start off a little on the overwhelming side, but once you add a widget or two and understand the concept of customizing home screens, it becomes second nature. Then you have 3rd party launchers, 3rd party app replacements. 2 sms apps that add cool functionality like a pop up you can respond to without leaving the app you're currently in. To really get the most out of it you have to take your time with it. But when you have it finally tuned on hardware you like (that's the key...see my #5 in webOS above) you're on cruise control. With more people on Android it becomes like old Palm days of showing off apps and widgets and such. Though you don't need to beam, you just go to the app store. You had various devices like Palm....full screen samsungs, flips from samsung and nokia, treos.

That's why I can't stand f@nboy responses on here. There is A LOT to like about both and it's comments like the ones from Vacc and Kupe that I think are credible and can help people make an informed decision.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/04/2010 at 11:13 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    You know I felt the same way when I was customizing the EVO. I felt like I was back in the good old days of the PALM OS. I feel like I have a Centro again.Some of the Launchers from the Palm Days are avaliable for Android and alot of the same type of programs. While I love WEBOS I still would stayed with Palm OS if it could do multitasking. Always felt my Centro blew away my Pre BUT no wifi, no multitasking and junky camera I stuck with the Pre. Again Cards and Cards Multitasking still makes WEB OS the bomb.
    reviews will tell you. If the dev listens, he'll update the app, give a list of changes when the new version is out. And people can be harsh. Low rating and bad reviews usually do the trick. They'll also have a lower download count too as the rating and reviews continue to stink.

You can also go the route we would take with Palm. Don't mass install apps. Maybe just a couple and play with them for a bit. Then when you think you're good to go, download a couple more.
    Are the "badly written" apps labeled in the app market so users will know? Otherwise, they have to be able to figure out which apps are mis-behaving and then use a tool to kill them...."
    yea, but the poor user has to figure it out the hard way. most mainstream users don't even know what all that means... that was my point.