View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 115 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1565105110111112113114115116117118119120125165 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 3633
  1. #2281  
    There is going to be a new 'must have phone' every 6 months to a year. I'm happy with my Pre--and I'll wait until Hp/Palm drops their 'Must have phone' (whenever that maybe)
  2. #2282  
    It's funny...all the negative people in this thread that supposedly wouldn't even entertain buying the evo for one reason or another are making the effort to go to the cross platform section and actually post in this thread. Yeah, that makes sense.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. #2283  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's funny...all the negative people in this thread that supposedly wouldn't even entertain buying the evo for one reason or another are making the effort to go to the cross platform section and actually post in this thread. Yeah, that makes sense.
    A lot of people use the "Today's Posts" link that shows all posts regardless of the section, so there!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4. #2284  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post

    And once you start using gps on your phone you really have zero desire for using a separate gps. So if one were to switch to verizon or at&t, it is likely they would want it.
    I agree with everything except the GPS part. Is the Sprint GPS app any better than the VZ Nav app? I thought they were basically the same app... yes?

    I started using the free trial period to play with VZ Nav. What a steaming pile that is. Forget that I need the display visible while I'm talking on the phone - with audible instructions not muted, forget that the 4.3" garmin display is the right size for my old eyes.

    The features lacking on VZ nav are astounding. Can't even zoom the map. It doesn't have a help feature, for goodness sake. It wouldn't be so bad for free, but I spent less than $200 for a 4.3" gps with lifetime traffic, bluetooth, etc etc. and that would cost $240 in VZ payments to use VZ Nav. ugh.

    It's better for a different thread... but I seriously don't know why someone would pay for that. And unless it's mounted, using it will driving seems as distracting as typing... whoa.

    Anyway, you are totally right that using MHS instead of residential internet would only be practical if you live alone, and never want to talk on the phone while on line from a PC...
  5. #2285  
    but if you have no interest in the device, why bother posting? Not pointing you out, but they never offer anything constructive in any way, shape or form. The only experience they even have with android is often the five minutes they played with it in the store. So it's just useless bashing. If you don't have any desire to try Android or the Evo there really is no reason to post unless you just want to sound like an *ss.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    A lot of people use the "Today's Posts" link that shows all posts regardless of the section, so there!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  6. #2286  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Nobody likes little screens. People only pretend that they do because it's what they own, but given a choice (or a chance to use a larger screen) then no honest person would say "That 3.7" screen is too big and makes my movies/sites/menus too visible for me".
    Depends on your hands, tbh. Part of why I sent the Moment back was that compared to the Pre, it was a crapshoot using one-handed especially for typing (obviously). It must be hard to hear, but there are people for whom the stick thin nature of the EVO/iPhone is not particularly ideal. I barely have enough leverage in my hand to hold the phone and move my thumb over the entire length of the phone on the Pre (and I don't if the keyboard is open, which is why I prefer buttons to be on the bottom of the Pre's screen), the EVO is bound to be worse.

    You act like no one had a freaking choice when the Pre came out. The iPhone already had a large screen and most smartphones out there do. If people bought the Pre it's because they chose to own a phone with a smaller screen, not because every screen out there was tiny and that's all the choice they had. I know it's hard to hear people have preferences other than your own, but them's the breaks.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  7. #2287  
    Quote Originally Posted by donpearce View Post
    So Sprint is gouging you by charging you $10/mo more? I can understand your frustration if you don't have 4G available yet, but when you pull the comparison to AT&T ... come on man! Compare bottom line bills for equivalent services ... and don't forget to add on the $10/mo for GPS on AT&T!

    I have 4 lines on Sprint, all are smart phones ... I pay $129.99(base) + $20(3rd phone) + $20(4th phone) + $10(premium data) = $179.99 (before taxes). That gives me 1500 anytime minutes plus unlimited everything else ... don't forget unlimited PCS-to-PCS (any network!)

    Now ... let's build the same thing on AT&T ... $89.99(base) + $9.99(x3) + $30(x4)(data) + $9.99(x4)(Navigation) + $30(unlimited messaging) ... for a grand total of $309.92.

    Who is gouging who?

    Even if I pay the $10/mo for all four of my phones, Sprint is still $100 less!

    Although I hate paying extra fees, when I compare services ... Sprint is by far the most cost effective provider!
    Your math seems off. Mine might be but its closer.

    Take 4 Evo's on Sprint and you get..129.99+ 19.99 + 19.99 + 40 (4G charge) = 210 a month. Add a hotspot for one phone and its 240. All four phones and its 330 a month.

    AT&T with 4 iphones? 89.99 + 100 (25 data times 4) + 9.99 + 9.99 + 30 (text) = 240 a month. Jailbreak em all for hotspots. Oops..add in that 16.99 for 7pm weeknights free calling. 257.00.

    I left off navigation. Free with sprint. Buy an app and share on iphone. Then again, you're most likely buying an sd card for the Evo.

    Any mobile vs A-list & rollover. Kinda even but edge to sprint.

    Sprint is still cheaper but its getting more even. Yeah i know, AT&T isn't unlimited data, but that's only a factor if you're one of the 2% right? :P
  8. #2288  
    In regards to gps, i can zoom in and out. I was using it quite a bit up in cooperstown, ny over the weekend. Was very helpful in navigating around a 70 mile canoe race, and it was my first time up that way. As long as streets are up to date and search works fairly effectively, I don't need bells and whistles of standalone gps. My garmin sits in the glove box 98% of the time, but I'm also not directionally challenged. Actually had the garmin and Pre powered up as well as the VZN on my buddy's droid on the trip up. Outside of the annoying voice on the droid, neither one stood out by any means. If you're completely directionally challenged maybe a standalone is needed. I just don't see it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9. #2289  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Going to be hard to get a EVO today unless pre ordered. Looks like the EVO will be Sprints biggest selling phone. Lines outside the Sprint store I passed and Best Buy were down the block. Looked like a mini Iphone release , and I heard the Sprint servers are down all day due to the overload of EVO registrations. Good for Sprint. We all want sprint to be successful even if its not a PRE. I wonder what HP would have to do to get there next phone to be like that. I still rememeber getting to Sprint for my PRE at 3am and when the store opened at 8am there were 8 of us. Hopefully HP will hit advertise it alot when they do release something.
    HP will have nothing to do with Palm's next phone. It's already been built and designed before HP was even in the picture.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  10. #2290  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    but if you have no interest in the device, why bother posting? Not pointing you out, but they never offer anything constructive in any way, shape or form. The only experience they even have with android is often the five minutes they played with it in the store. So it's just useless bashing. If you don't have any desire to try Android or the Evo there really is no reason to post unless you just want to sound like an *ss.
    Wow, good thing the thread is called the HTC EVO 4G thread...oh wait, Pre is in the title as well. Anyone with either device is qualified to comment.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11. #2291  
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    1. Radio shack- Walked in comfortable climate, saw evo first time played for 3-4 min. cool gadget, do they have any unlocked? apparently no.
    2. Sprint- take name on clipboard. wait...call name.. overdue balance... settle debt first, then talk....
    the employee: Sir, you know this is a beta device, right..
    me: yeah, so when's it gonna get 2.2?
    employee: :/
    me: what i fig
    3. best buy: two girls wearing pink. I make remark, "john Travolta!" as to say the pink ladies. hot, actually one was the mom, so double hot for the milf. anyways, no unlocked phone.! Where can i get an unlocked evo?

    Double p.s. : If the Pre gets flash b4 evo, then it would...nonono .scratch. the pre will get flash and still be a better phone imho next to evo. lack of psych kb blows. screen size is large enough to cuddle up in a library with for an eternity as in the twilight zone episode, or we could all just get flash.
    when i was in the sprint store i found myself daydreaming about the dell streak. am i crazy?
    I'm proud of those of you who have been able to intelligently respond to this post. I for one can't figure out for the life of me what he's talking about throughout much of it. Psych kb, eh? Pretty nice to be able to communicate directly with the keys using my brainwaves only. That's telekinesis Kyle!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  12. #2292  
    +1

    He typed it from the EVO display in the store... the on-screen keyboard must still have a few bugs... ;-)
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/04/2010 at 03:14 PM.
  13. #2293  
    Hey guys, today i decided to go to my nearest sprint store to check out the evo. First time i played with an android phone, I've had my 2nd pre for already a year and its been my first palm phone. I wasn't planning on switching to android because I've seen many youtube videos of android running and how multitasking works and it doesn't compare to webOS. So i wanted to see if i go in person I would have the same reaction that i had with my pre a year ago. Well first of all, the hardware is amazing, a bit too huge of a screen turned me a bit off. The one thing i didn't like was android ,very user unintuitive!!!! I'm not impressed with the multitasking at all and yes it is smooth and all with the 1ghz processor but man imho webOS is years ahead. But yeah just voicing my opinion that I'm in no way changing to the evo for the main reason that it has the androidOS. I love my palm pre and very happy with it and for this awesome community thats made it awesome!!!
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  14. #2294  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Going to be hard to get a EVO today unless pre ordered. Looks like the EVO will be Sprints biggest selling phone. Lines outside the Sprint store I passed and Best Buy were down the block. Looked like a mini Iphone release , and I heard the Sprint servers are down all day due to the overload of EVO registrations. Good for Sprint. We all want sprint to be successful even if its not a PRE. I wonder what HP would have to do to get there next phone to be like that. I still rememeber getting to Sprint for my PRE at 3am and when the store opened at 8am there were 8 of us. Hopefully HP will hit advertise it alot when they do release something.
    Not true my Sprint store today at 3:00 had 15 so its not as big as originally thought.
    Honestly the only people buying the Evo are people in the know or people who just have to have the newest latest greatest. Sprint employees are definitely not a selling feature, I mean what a joke. I was there today and aparently I ****ed the salesman off because after I answered the other customers questions that he couldnt. He walked away as soon as I picked it up.

    My take is the browser sucked it took literally 30 seconds to pull up precentral using 3g because apparently you cant get 4g inside the sprint store. My Pre pulls it up in under 10 sec.

    This thing is a brick! Its freakin huge which is cool if you dont want to put it in your pocket like I do.I have big hands (6 foot tall and 220 lbs) and this was down right uncomfortable.

    No physical k/board is a definite loser in my book, And lets face it the biggest drawback is that its Android!

    The Pros

    4g, 8mp camera, and well...... not much else!

    I dont think Im willing to waste my upgrade on this device and be stuck w/ it for 2 whole yrs and have to pay 40.00 more per mo. than my Pre.
    before you say its only 10.00, its 10.00 for 4g and 30.00 for mhs.

    Definitely not worth the hype IMHO.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  15. #2295  
    @2sslow

    ahem, if you are 6'2" 220, I bet that isn't you in your avatar picture... :-)
  16. #2296  
    @2sslow

    Not for me it isn't. I don't mind Android and touchscreen keyboards at all. Sounds like I may be able to use it as a tablet/phone, but I need to try it out first too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. donpearce's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #2297  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Your math seems off. Mine might be but its closer.

    Take 4 Evo's on Sprint and you get..129.99+ 19.99 + 19.99 + 40 (4G charge) = 210 a month. Add a hotspot for one phone and its 240. All four phones and its 330 a month.

    AT&T with 4 iphones? 89.99 + 100 (25 data times 4) + 9.99 + 9.99 + 30 (text) = 240 a month. Jailbreak em all for hotspots. Oops..add in that 16.99 for 7pm weeknights free calling. 257.00.

    I left off navigation. Free with sprint. Buy an app and share on iphone. Then again, you're most likely buying an sd card for the Evo.

    Any mobile vs A-list & rollover. Kinda even but edge to sprint.

    Sprint is still cheaper but its getting more even. Yeah i know, AT&T isn't unlimited data, but that's only a factor if you're one of the 2% right? :P
    I was quoting what I am actually signed up for (1 EVO). Of course if I had 4 EVOs, the cost would go up to $209.99.

    As far as using the $25 (x4) for AT&T ... that is for 2GB data ... with my Pre, I was using 4+ GB per month, and that was not doing any video streaming!

    So, add in your $10-$20 up-charge on your dataplan.

    Buy an app and share ... way to compromise to justify the iPhone!
  18. #2298  
    I think the $30 hotpsot is too much, but if you have 4G, the $10 extra is fine. But only if you have 4G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #2299  
    qualified is a big stretch. Haven't heard one thing constructive or useful from the Pre f@nb0y crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Wow, good thing the thread is called the HTC EVO 4G thread...oh wait, Pre is in the title as well. Anyone with either device is qualified to comment.
  20. #2300  
    Your store is not indicative of whats going on . Reading at sprint users its a abolute sellout. Just called my local sprint store and they sold out by noon. Called best buy who has my pre order and they sold aout of the 100ish they had alrready ( But they say they have mine. fingers crossed). If its worth the hype , ehh nothing lives up to the hype ever. Its more important that you like the phone, not what the hype is. I have no opinion of the EVO yet. I will after a day or two of using it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Not true my Sprint store today at 3:00 had 15 so its not as big as originally thought.
    Honestly the only people buying the Evo are people in the know or people who just have to have the newest latest greatest. Sprint employees are definitely not a selling feature, I mean what a joke. I was there today and aparently I ****ed the salesman off because after I answered the other customers questions that he couldnt. He walked away as soon as I picked it up.

    My take is the browser sucked it took literally 30 seconds to pull up precentral using 3g because apparently you cant get 4g inside the sprint store. My Pre pulls it up in under 10 sec.

    This thing is a brick! Its freakin huge which is cool if you dont want to put it in your pocket like I do.I have big hands (6 foot tall and 220 lbs) and this was down right uncomfortable.

    No physical k/board is a definite loser in my book, And lets face it the biggest drawback is that its Android!

    The Pros

    4g, 8mp camera, and well...... not much else!

    I dont think Im willing to waste my upgrade on this device and be stuck w/ it for 2 whole yrs and have to pay 40.00 more per mo. than my Pre.
    before you say its only 10.00, its 10.00 for 4g and 30.00 for mhs.

    Definitely not worth the hype IMHO.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions