View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 114 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1464104109110111112113114115116117118119124164 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3633
    Quote Originally Posted by donpearce View Post
    I know AT&T just announced new data plans which include tethering ... what I quoted were the older, cheaper plans which did not include hotspot, so I left it off the sprint quote.

Regarding the GPS ... its apples to apples ... Sprint includes GPS nav in its plan ... to get the same on AT&T, its $10 more. Sure, if I were on AT&T, I may not add the GPS nav on my kids phones, but that only saves me $20 ... There is still the $80 difference that makes Sprint more cost effective.
    Actually the $55 is from the new plan. The old one is $60. And for either plan it's traditional "tethering" to a single PC, whereas I think the new Sprint plan is a hot spot similar to the VZ MHS (up to 5 users can connect). I'd really like to have someone test 4G throughput from a PC connected to the EVO to see if it compares to a sprint aircard...

Ironically, the apples-to-apples thing really gets interesting when you look at VZ, where the $40 MHS is free... but they charge $10 for GPS. So the "everything" plan at VZ is $69/voice +$39/data +$10/Nav = $108 for truly unlimited minutes, and no cap on phone data (5gb is only for what passes through MHS). BUT... if you add additional lines, they all have to be unlimited. So each dumb-phone is $50 more, and if it's a smart phone it's another $29 for data. Wow, that's like what people pay for cable TV...

By the way, is the Sprint Nav application any good? I decided to try the VZ Nav 30-day trial... what a steaming pile that is. The lack of basic GPS features (like zooming in/out on a map), poor method for putting in an address... I was shocked that anyone would consider that after using a Garmin/TomTom/etc. Is Sprint's any better?

PS, here is the link to the current (old) AT&T Data+Tether plan for $60. Apparently it is being replaced with $55 when the new plans roll out in a few days...

Get Started - Wireless from AT&T
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/04/2010 at 12:59 PM.
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    If I can't holster it on my belt, I'm not going to have it. I think the Pre's screen could go a bit larger and still allow me to use a holster clip, but not much larger. That EVO is ridiculous. For some, it will be heaven, but not for this guy.
    how about a side by side of EVO and iPhone.
    After a yr of wanting the Pre once the Evo came out and you could use it as a Wifi hotspot I thought Oh I should get that and get rid of my internet land line to save money. Meanwhile pouting because I love the webOS. But after all the fees for the Evo as a hotspot it wouldnt be any cheaper. 10 for just using evo 4g(i live in 3g area) and if you want it as a hotspot its 29 more. YEAH I get to get my Palm after all!!!!! Soooo relieved!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I always thought the HTC Universal was the limit on how large you could make a device and still call it a phone.
    You youngsters just don't know how good you have it... When I was young, we walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, up hill in both directions.... and we were THANKFUL!
    gouging? have you compared AT&T's prices? You have no caps which is better if you spring for the hotspot service.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    And I am supposed to spend $10/more a month for this, even though I live in a 3G only area? I don't think so....

Don't get me wrong, I like the Evo - it's FAST! But at the price Sprint wants to gouge me at, I don't think so.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    and yet we're still the fattest country going... go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You youngsters just don't know how good you have it... When I was young, we walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, up hill in both directions.... and we were THANKFUL!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    That phone is for guys with a small man complex.
    adding the mobile hotspot is a stretch. not everyone that tethers needs the hotspot. They serve two different purposes. From another post, replacing home service doesn't make much sense because if you have anything in the house that's connected, it leaves when you leave. Your battery is always draining unless you keep it plugged in which means it's not always on you, and if you have others in the house it deprives them of service if you leave. What hotspot does replace is a separate wireless card and portable router or just makes it more convenient for others to hop on like a group in a vacation house for a week or other sorts of traveling, business functions and such. It also means not having to deal with proprietary software on the computer and plugging in via usb or using a wireless device that doesn't have stock usb ala ipad. I'm ditching my $60/mo wireless card and saving $20/mo ($40 for hotspot and premium data).

And once you start using gps on your phone you really have zero desire for using a separate gps. So if one were to switch to verizon or at&t, it is likely they would want it.
    Would you actually buy GPS on all phones? I guess all 4 drive? Also, remember to add the $29 each for mobile hotspot.

I think the corresponding AT&T plan (data+tether) is $55.

You have the right idea, total all the charges and compare. Sometimes the increased charge for one item is offset by lower charges on another. It's all about what's on the bill at the end of the month...
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/04/2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    2 things that are exremly personal are the Keybaord and Screen. Some people like little screens and some like me want a nice large screen so I can see web sites better.
    Nobody likes little screens. People only pretend that they do because it's what they own, but given a choice (or a chance to use a larger screen) then no honest person would say "That 3.7" screen is too big and makes my movies/sites/menus too visible for me".
    sorry, but I love the Pixi. I don't mind the size, it's the aspect ratio. If you could put a 3.7" screen on a phone the size of the pixi with a thumb board I'd be all over it. So you have that big 3.7" screen and still need a keyboard. now you've doubled the thickness and have to slide the keyboard out all the time to use it. Sounds like you speak for yourself and not the masses.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    gouging? have you compared AT&T's prices? You have no caps which is better if you spring for the hotspot service.
    Gouging less than the competition is still gouging.

I've been trying to think of a company that charged me for a service they don't provide and drew a blank. Even the scumbag Cable Companies waited until they offered HD in my area before sneaking in the HD Package fees.

A more reasonable solution would be to add the fee to the optional tethering package because (according to ATT) 98% of their users don't even go beyond 2GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    how about a side by side of EVO and iPhone.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/...-4g-iphone.JPG

PS, it only has a 1500mAh battery... that cant be enough for heavy use...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Nobody likes little screens. People only pretend that they do because it's what they own, but given a choice (or a chance to use a larger screen) then no honest person would say "That 3.7" screen is too big and makes my movies/sites/menus too visible for me".
    I wouldn't say I prefer a smaller screen, but rather I prefer a smaller phone.
    The pda/phone is always trying to strike a balance.
    I had a bigger device - loved the sceen - hated the bulk.
    In the end I prefer a smaller device with high resolution.
    Just call me Berd.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/...-4g-iphone.JPG

PS, it only has a 1500mAh battery... that cant be enough for heavy use...
    Holy ****, i didnt think the evo was that big, thats like a dang iPad.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/04/2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: deleted swearing
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    miss you guys, I love this new Evo, its fast, its up to date, and it just plain works like its suppose to.
    My Life with the Pre. http://theprelife.com
    I don't care about the hardware specs. I don't need to pay another $10 for internet access. I love webOS. Evo's too large, and it doesn't have a keyboard.

I love carrying my Pre horizontally in my shirt pocket. I make journal entries and take sermon notes on my Pre. One time I tried taking notes on my iPod Touch. It was awful. Never again.

I've never tried Android, and I'm sure I'd adapt to it if I had to, but I don't have to, so I won't. I've never read anyone who said, wow, I just love Android so much better than webOS.

I'll stick with my Pre, thank-you very much!
    I'm very impressed with the EVO I picked up this morning. My area isn't on the map for planned 4g coverage but it is being tested (I'm getting a 4g signal) and supposed to be officially live by end of month.
    If you're too lazy to drive to your Sprint store and happen to have a DS handy, it's great for a quick comparison. The DS is 2.9in (73mm) wide and the EVO is 2.6in (66mm). The DS is 5.2in (133mm) tall and the EVO is 4.8in (122mm).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb_nyj101 View Post
    OMFG have you guys seen this phone?

Engadget
    Does it run WebOS? No? Do Not Want.

You can run windoze on a screaming fast machine too. Doesn't make it any more suitable to any particular task, and certainly doesn't make the hardware fun to use.

Also, it's too big. If I need more real-estate, I'll wait for nice tablet solutions to come out and use them IN TANDEM with a phone that remains pocketable and useful.
    : (){:|:&};: