View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 110 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1060100105106107108109110111112113114115120160 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 3633
    As much of us are going to Android tomorrow for the EVO, Its time to reflect on the last year with your Pre. Lets be honest, most of us are getting an EVO cause its upgrade time and its the hottest phone out now, not to mention were overdue for some new hardware.

In my eyes, Palm failed us. I was debating on waiting a few more months to see if Palm released something amazing, but after HP's CEO's comments, It makes me wonder if Palm will ever make another phone and their just trying to sell all their Pre inventory. I think Android is going to be around for awhile.

So, as I spend my last day with WebOS before I ship my Pre out tomorrow to its new home, I look back on how its really been a lifeline to me and how multitasking and WebOS has changed the game and how I use my device. I'm definite the EVO will fill that Void just fine.

Im really going to miss the support from all the WebOS internals guys, My Pre wouldn't have been what it is today without them. They changed the game aswell, If only more companies could do what Palm did by letting the homebrew community in. I still believe the Pre was truly the first
    "iphone killer"

To the Pre I raise a glass and wish Palm good luck in the hopes that one day I might return to WebOS. But at the same time, Im going back to HTC roots, the first HTC device I ever owned I modded and cooked roms for years ago on WinMo.

Still plan on checking in here and there as the G/F loves her Pixi and cant give it up !

Lets hear your thoughts !
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    It was announce just over a year ago at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco by Palm Senior Vice President of Applications and Services Michael Abbott. Look it up.
    I'm transferring my contact to Google as I type. It's been a fun ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    Everybody cried about the next pre must have a hard keyboard yet 40% of them are getting the evo. Now this is just generalizing but if i had to guess with out a poll what the percent is for the people that have pres will drop it for an evo. 40 percent sounds just about right.
    Whether a keyboard is a "necessity" or not is strictly a personal choice. I still really like my Pre, but a keyboard isn't the most important reason for that. I'd consider an EVO, but probably won't get one any time soon because I expect to keep the Pre for longer than just a year. The keyboard is a factor, but not necessarily the major one.

But your numbers and logic re: the keyboard are rubbish. I would bet-the-house that nowhere near 40% of Pre owners will swap for an EVO ... that's ludicrous. And, I believe the number 1 smartphone manufacturer is still Blackberry (or maybe #2 behind Nokia), and the keyboard is almost certainly a big part of that. So it's far from a given that "the slab form is what sells".
    I dumped my last phone because of the virtual keyboard, and will NOT switch to the EVO for the same reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by madison540 View Post
    It was announce just over a year ago at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco by Palm Senior Vice President of Applications and Services Michael Abbott. Look it up.
    Found it thanks

Palm opening WebOS SDK up to developers | Wireless - CNET News
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I like my hard keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Whether a keyboard is a "necessity" or not is strictly a personal choice. I still really like my Pre, but a keyboard isn't the most important reason for that. I'd consider an EVO, but probably won't get one any time soon because I expect to keep the Pre for longer than just a year. The keyboard is a factor, but not necessarily the major one.

But your numbers and logic re: the keyboard are rubbish. I would bet-the-house that nowhere near 40% of Pre owners will swap for an EVO ... that's ludicrous. And, I believe the number 1 smartphone manufacturer is still Blackberry (or maybe #2 behind Nokia), and the keyboard is almost certainly a big part of that. So it's far from a given that "the slab form is what sells".
    You do have a point until you start factoring all the other pros of the evo then people will start to compromise. Now I personally prefer and plan on staying with the pre also. Im just looking at the perspective from the mass of people who will be up for an upgrade
    The only reason I am going to get the EVO is because I feel that Android is growing at more of a rapid pace than WebOS. I love WebOS and everything that it has to offer, its community included. It's just that there are some desired functions that I see missing from WebOS that are pushing me away from them. Here they are for anyone that cares.

1. Mic access. Come on. It has been a year. I want a Shazam app/voice recognition/voice recording (last one can be done with homebrew)
    2. Exchange email formatting. I know this is a small user base that actually have this issue but if it wasn't for patches I wouldn't ever reply to an email through my exchange account. Granted, from what I have seen is that Android is not much better or worse but ... meh ... I wish Palm got it right in the past year. Sadly, they did not.
    3. Quickness. Just using a Hero or Nexus One makes me drool over how quick you can open the phone app or switch between items. Granted you can overclock the Pre but I am weary of voiding my warranty. Android just seems more polished (rightfully so since it is 2.2. Can't imagine WebOS at 2.2!)
    4. Development. This one is a relatively large one. Has anyone noticed that apps are now being advertised as being available on the iphone or android. A lot of major ones aren't developing for WebOS publicly. Logmein for example just came out with a beta app for Android. Nothing on WebOS. There are many more examples like this.
    5. Hardware. Dead pixels, light leakage, oreo twist, cracked screens, etc. have led me to my 11th phone since June 6th. I know this is expected to a certain extent but that is kind of just ridiculous. I wasn't being overly particular either.

Now for those who care even more, here is my list of items I will miss about my Pre.

1. The touchstone. Dang that little thing is nice and convenient. (That's what she said! Wait ... what?!? Did he just make fun of himself. Not on the internet of all places!)
    2. The Gesture Area. No matter what phone I tinker around with, I always find myself using the back gesture. Swipe up too. It is just engrained in my brain.
    3. Synergy. I don't get how this thing isn't more touted. I like being able to get an email on exchange and then choose to reply with my gmail because it is a personal email. To my knowledge, this is not possible on Android. There are other aspects about the synergy integration that are pretty awesome as well that I won't get into.
    4. Universal search. Apparently "Froyo", aka Android 2.2, has added a variation of this feature. I have actually seen it in action on a Nexus One and it looks like it may meet my needs. Nothing like how WebOS has it though.
    5. The Precentral community. I am nervous about going to a different OS without some of the key players on Precentral. Without the homebrew community I would have ditched this phone a long time ago as I feel a lot of people would. I hope Android has a similar atmosphere.

Those are my reasons and comparisons. I just feel like there is a sense of uncertainty surrounding the future of WebOS when there seems like there is absolutely none with Android. Makes sense considering google virtually has unlimited resources. I just figure this uncertainty gives me an excellent opportunity to try out a different operating system while getting the future of hardware for a smartphone at the same time. Don't get me wrong, as soon as Palm releases another phone with similar specs, I will be back. Until then, I will just probably lurk around, keep up on the Precentral news, and give answers to questions I know the answers to. Hope this can help anyone else on the fence either way. It is definitely an exciting time in the smartphone arena. I'm definitely rooting for Palm (pun intended) and WebOS and hope there are still great things to come.
    question, am i eligible to get the upgrade from palm pre to the evo? i went to best buy a few weeks ago and thier machine wasn't working. i checked on the sprint site and it mentioned i had to wait till june 6 for a 'discount'. i renewed my 2 year plan with spring when i got the pre. i also am part of the 'new sero' plan, i think its called sprint SERP or soemthing but most of the plans are $10 cheaper than the normal everything plans. i read that you can upgrade to the evo so long as you have been a sprint memeber for 10 years or pay at least $70 a month with them(which i do not atm).
    If diehard fans are considering the switch the what about the average person? Palm needs to come out with a phone asap. With more productive apps
    @bpdamas

That is well thought out and articulate. I hope you will post back when you have answers to things like how email works without Synergy, how exchange sync works, etc. That's always interesting. Also how you adapt to the soft keyboard, etc.

And especially interesting will be what the homebrew community is like. I've found that the Crackberry gang isn't very passionate, and the Android gang is a little to impressed with themselves. Let us know what you experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by racing562 View Post
    question, am i eligible to get the upgrade from palm pre to the evo? i went to best buy a few weeks ago and thier machine wasn't working. i checked on the sprint site and it mentioned i had to wait till june 6 for a 'discount'. i renewed my 2 year plan with spring when i got the pre. i also am part of the 'new sero' plan, i think its called sprint SERP or soemthing but most of the plans are $10 cheaper than the normal everything plans. i read that you can upgrade to the evo so long as you have been a sprint memeber for 10 years or pay at least $70 a month with them(which i do not atm).
    I was told that the start date is always pushed to the first of the month, so even if you got your phone on June 31st 2009, you'd still be elegible as of June 1st, 2010.

Hope this helps. When in doubt, hit up Sprint chat support.
    Add me to the list of those leaving my Pre behind for an Evo tomorrow.

My wife has a Samsung Moment, and so I've really warmed up to Android as a whole now that it's a bit more finished than it was this time last year. SenseUI provides most of the functionality of the Pre for me, as widgets on different home screens essentially take the place of cards.

Palm's financial situation, the lack of even tangible rumors of a new device, and of course HP's attitude towards Palm/webOS certainly influences my decision.

And also apps... there's some freaking awesome android apps not available anywhere else that I want to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    And also apps... there's some freaking awesome android apps not available anywhere else that I want to play with.
    Which ones, would like to hear some from you, because that only can help webOS also. If some apps are great on other platforms that doesn't exist right now, means not, that they can't exist in near future.
    Well, here is one excuse resolved...
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/03/h...ket-after-all/
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    Which ones, would like to hear some from you, because that only can help webOS also. If some apps are great on other platforms that doesn't exist right now, means not, that they can't exist in near future.
    Shazam
    Qik
    Google Goggles, Layar, etc.
    Better VPN/Remote desktop apps
    Talk to me voice translator (very useful for work)
    Really any of the voice command apps
    Google navigator with street/satellite views
    Dropbox (one of the game changers, in my opinion)
    Useful stuff on the home screen (not an app, but still)
    Spotify
    Barcode scanner tied into to google shopping
    Google Earth
    Mint

--

If webOS/hp turns around, well like many of us, I'm Sprint Premier so I'm willing to come back to a new device next summer.
    Last edited by hypocaffeinemia; 06/03/2010 at 05:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    What the heck is with these "cross platform" forums lately? Threads are constantly being moved and this particular EVO thread is just a dumping grounds for anything even containing the letters E, V or O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    What the heck is with these "cross platform" forums lately? Threads are constantly being moved and this particular EVO thread is just a dumping grounds for anything even containing the letters E, V or O.
    Because there were at least 50 threads with EVO in the title here on EVOcentral. I think they got some great new Mods that decided to fix that so the search engine would actually produce useful results... I think it has already had a great effect on getting better search results. IMHO
    Goodbye my Palm Pre peeps. I have a 1000 appointment, tomorrow morning at Best Buy to get the EVO. I've joined the androidcentral.com site, and I'm tentatively finding my way through the land of Android.

I've said it many, many, times... I love the WebOS, and I don't think there is a finer operating system. But the Palm Pre sucks (hardware)! The constant "updates" we've recieved, are updates that a far lesser phone has off the bat. Why should I have to patch my phone up, just to get it moving, somewhat, faster than before? It seems unfair, that such a beautiful OS was stuck in such a crummy shell. And reading the CEO of HP show as much interest in the mobile market, as some of you may show interest in watching old folks play shuffle board, it really doesn't give me hope that a GOOD mobile device will be seeing the light of day out of the HP camp anytime soon. Although, I will be the first in line for the WebOS tablet.

Anyway, I'm keeping my Palm Pre as a back up to my EVO. This is my 6th Palm Pre by the way, I was one of the first customers at my local Sprint store on June 6th last year. Great OS, crappy phone.