View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 109 of 182 FirstFirst ... 95999104105106107108109110111112113114119159 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 3633
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I would suggest stick with your original plan and wait to the end of the year. The other competitor phones will not be going anywhere. But HP/Palm may just have something new "in the pipe" in the near future. Hurd never said they were dropping Palm phones, "when you think of HP, it'll be a little different from what people talk about the smartphone market." Think of it as possibly a whole new direction for smartphones, interconnected with everything, your printer, your laptop, your PC and more. So do not give up just yet after all the transaction is not complete and sometimes you can not say everything you need to at this point of a purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I will not leave the Pre. First of all, I have one year left until I get the 2 year upgrade deduction, and that will go towards the next WebOS device. Also, I can't imagine going to a different smart phone that doesn't have wireless charging. I have two Touchstones, and the one in my car is so invaluable.
    When did the Pre get wireless charging? Touchstones are connected to voltage sources by wires, no?

As far as the EVO, I have read it has horrible battery life issues. It's too big as well. HDMI out is nice, but like I said, the next WebOS device should have some excellent features that compare to the EVO.
    I've never understood people who have touchstones everywhere constantly charging the Pre complaining about "battery life" on any other device. It's positively bizarre.

As for the OP's question, it's super simple: Pre and WebOS are old. Other stuff is new. New things, apps, and announcements are happening with Android every other day. The last major thing to happen with WebOS was that the company got acquired. Otherwise, it's a ghost town.

You can't blame people for wanting to be on a platform bursting with life and activity, if that's what's important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I will not leave the Pre. First of all, I have one year left until I get the 2 year upgrade deduction, and that will go towards the next WebOS device. Also, I can't imagine going to a different smart phone that doesn't have wireless charging. I have two Touchstones, and the one in my car is so invaluable.

As far as the EVO, I have read it has horrible battery life issues. It's too big as well. HDMI out is nice, but like I said, the next WebOS device should have some excellent features that compare to the EVO.

Real world battery life:

10 Hour Evo Battery Life: Graph of Battery Usage - Android Forums

Let's not forget the Pre seemingly has poor battery life after OS updates. In a few days, it's better.
    For me, it's simply because cell phones are my only hobby, and my upgrades coincide with both my birthday and Father's Day.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It's because the have AD... hey squirrel!
    LOL!

I don't agree with this. I think there are some legit complaints about the current stock of WebOS phones that really shouldn't be issues. But that line was very funny.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I always thought that the thought of having a hard keyboard for pre users is a must is nonsense. I believe this is being proven by the htc evo. Pre users are drooling over the "Evo". The specs on this thing is incredible although i think palm can definitely do better none the less the evo is making people want to switch. The fact that the evo does not have a hard keyboard does not seem to be an issue with people. One one of the polls here says 40% percent of the people here said they are going to get the evo. That is very significant. Palm should get the picture that the slab form is what sells.

I do acknowledge the fact that palm has not come out with any news of future hardware also factors in.

Everybody cried about the next pre must have a hard keyboard yet 40% of them are getting the evo. Now this is just generalizing but if i had to guess with out a poll what the percent is for the people that have pres will drop it for an evo. 40 percent sounds just about right.
    Just curious... Which poll are you talking about? And did all 376,000 Precentral members vote in that poll?

I don't think it's fair of you to assume 40% of us are getting the Evo based on a poll with probably only a couple hundred (if even that much) votes cast.
    Yeah you're speaking on a very biased, broad, and general term.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Once you type on the EVO you will see just how great it really is. having a large screen virtual keyboard is not as bad. it seems big in photos and when holding at first but since its so thin it makes it not as bad. i made zero mistakes typing on it fast. WAY less mistakes than the pre.
    The lack of a physical keyboard is one of the top reasons I do NOT want the EVO (Android being THE top reason).
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Once you type on the EVO you will see just how great it really is. having a large screen virtual keyboard is not as bad. it seems big in photos and when holding at first but since its so thin it makes it not as bad. i made zero mistakes typing on it fast. WAY less mistakes than the pre.
    Yeah but if you need to type something without looking at the screen it's impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I'm not trying to debate whether a hardware keyboard is better than a virual keyboard. I actually like both... They both have their own benefits.

I was just questioning how OP came to the conclusion that 40% of us were getting the Evo.
    I think the EVO appeals to the same user as the iPhone from the keyboard perspective. There are people that dumped the iPhone because they didn't like the on-screen only design. Especially true of people that txt when they drive, but that's for another thread.

Personally, I think Palm should do a slab phone to appeal to that market. Google has proven that to be effective buy offering Android on both styles of phone. For me, I want a physical keyboard, and one where I can feel the keys as opposed to the sort on the MotoDroid.

But beyond all of that, the OP's conclusions about the plans and preferences of a million Pre users based on some self-selecting poll is pretty funny...
    I've never had a phone with solely an on-screen keyboard. I've refused up until now. I'm an attorney and use my phone for business a lot. But I'm getting the Evo. I've used the Iphone a bit and the on-screen keyboard is decent- but I still far prefer a physical keyboard. The Evo, supposedly, has a similar keyboard. Beyond that, Swype, the new text input method/program for on-screen keyboards is available for android and it looks promising. Also, the screen on the evo is big enough that having an on-screen keyboard doesn't cover up too much of the screen.

Another good thing is that if I end up not liking it, I can always go back to my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    When did the Pre get wireless charging? Touchstones are connected to voltage sources by wires, no?
    Wireless, as in the phone is charged without a wire plugged into the phone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Its true i am generalizing but you cant argue the fact that the slab just sells. And yes i think i can use use a poll from here to generalize. People just need a reason to move on and they will and the evo will do that. Now of course people will stay with the pre heack i am one of them. But a slab is just what plain sells. Especially when you have a huge display. My reasoning for posting this is that palm needs to come out with NEW HARD WARE WITH AND WITHOUT A KEYBOARD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm not trying to debate whether a hardware keyboard is better than a virual keyboard. I actually like both... They both have their own benefits.

I was just questioning how OP came to the conclusion that 40% of us were getting the Evo.
    There is a poll on precentral on who is getting the evo. and like i said if i were to guess without a poll i would say 40%. on top of the fact that. That palm is facing return issues.
    I can't blame you for considering the switch. I've started to contemplate it myself. I bought my Pre the first week it was out and I love it. But since the release of 1.4 there has been very little news from Palm as to what comes next. And where is the Mojo messaging service we were promised? Since Android 2.2 (Froyo) came out, it even more tempting.

Android has tons of patches and customizations as well. In fact a coworker of mine has a nexus one and he is updating it with dev builds almost weekly. He even had a few features included in Froyo before it was released.

I for one will be sticking with my Pre a while longer just to see what comes after the EVO but, unless Palm releases something amazing soon my next phone will be and Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by madison540 View Post
    And where is the Mojo messaging service we were promised?
    When was it promised? I don't even think Palm knows about it. It's being written by a 3rd party developer.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    so yea im upgrading tomorrow to an evo 4g, palm pre for me was a great phone but it just got old really quick. its still a better phone then the iphone thougH haha. so who else is getting an evo tomorrow?