View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 105 of 182 FirstFirst ... 55595100101102103104105106107108109110115155 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 3633
    Now to add..super AMOLED does look VERY nice. So the Galaxy S might be worth a look.
    I've read battery life on android depends on which widgets you have running.

if its a streaming widget, battery life will suck. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdv22 View Post
    Not sure what other gripe I should have against buying a Sprint Pre. You seem to imply that I should.

My biggest gripe is that you are paying more for older hardware. Sprint has never reduced the price on the Pre. Why is that? Doesn't that seem odd? Don't most phones prices go down over time, especially when new devices are launched on other carriers? I have my Pre on Sprint, I understand Sprint is cheaper for the plans, that still does not explain the price difference. Even Dieter and Derek were dumbfounded at Sprint on this front.
    I think the pricing is ridiculous, but you're factually inaccurate.

Sprint reduced the price of the Pre from $199 to $150 however long ago. 25 percent off. It has never gone beyond that, but the reasons for that are known to Sprint only. Apparently, they can still sell them at that price, so why reduce them? It's not like they are making room for something new...

By contrast, Verizon had a kerplillion laying around, and they launch many more new smartphones than Sprint, so they probably needed to clear them out.

For better or for worse, $150 is still the non-blowout price of a Pre/Pre Plus.
    Can we PLEASE kill this stupid "Sprint Hero owners had to wait 8 months for an update" nonsense?

Android 2.1 didn't exist until 3 months after the Hero launched. It got the update four months after that, and that was due to delays in Sprint testing. They had it from HTC before then. Meanwhile, the Hero got two maintenance releases (one of them came within 30 days of the device launching) to fix bugs and add minor enhancements in the interim.

If that wasn't quick enough for you, there were a kazillion ROMs with 2.1 elements before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Verizon can charge less for the hardware because they make it back up with the high price of the plans. Sprint prices are much lower so probably cannot afford to lower the price of the hardware. I would rather pay $150 for the phone than pay $30.00+ more a month for the same service for 2 years.
    Of course, the flipside of this is that Sprint can also not afford to keep losing customers to Verizon and AT&T anymore than they can afford to lower the prices of the hardware. Perhaps moreso.

They certainly cannot keep charging premium prices for a non-premium smartphone lineup and expect to remain competitive. First network with 4G and great plans or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Of course, the flipside of this is that Sprint can also not afford to keep losing customers to Verizon and AT&T anymore than they can afford to lower the prices of the hardware. Perhaps moreso.

They certainly cannot keep charging premium prices for a non-premium smartphone lineup and expect to remain competitive. First network with 4G and great plans or not.
    We've seen many simply obsessed with price of phones. Even the poster i just responded to seems to think he's still paying more for an old Pre vs the plus Pre's on the other two carriers.

What does seem odd is how Sprint, already offering great plans, can manage to screw up its marketing so much as to make people angry about prices, of all things. You'd think price would be Sprint's strength. The 4G data plan fee is simply the latest brainfart from Sprint which will only make 3G customers upset.

There's several ways Sprint could have approached this. Introducing 4G could've been a good time for Sprint to revamp their plans, catch up a bit to the other two so they can charge less for hardware (and highlight this by introducing the Evo at a low price).

Another way could've been simplifying even more and going with just one plan. 99.00 unlimited everything. Include tethering, 4G, etc. Keep that 99 theme going by offering smartphones for 99. What this does is get those customers paying 69 and 89 to upgrade to the 99.
    They can also give them away for free and continue increasing their losses.

People are saying the Pre is old tech but it actually has the same specs as the Motorola Droid which sells for 199.99 on Verizon. There are places where you can get a Sprint Pre for 79.99 and less with contract and obviously the Pre is still selling at $150 or I think they would have reduced the price.
    I think they gotta cut customer losses more importantly than they do handset losses of $100 per pop or whatever. The former represents a lot more revenue lost.
    Revamp their plans? You really think people want to pay more on Sprint? If Sprint plans were basically the same as ATT there wouldn't be a point of staying with them. The reason Sprint does poorly is because they have a stigma going around that their service is poor and customer service sucks. People go to ATT for the iphone then Tmobile because the service is cheap.
    Plans are only going to go up anyway. It's the way of things.

But if you spend a bunch of time building the brand of "Simply Everything", then undercut it at the first chance by adding a 4G charge, you're wasting money and ****ing customers off. Lose-Lose.

Simply raising the price of all Simply Everything plans by $5 raises a lot more revenue for 4G than this selective surcharge. It ****es off less people because it's not tied to a specific event people may or may not opt for. It's less intrusive because it's half the charge.
    Sprint losing customers has little to do with price of phones.
    I absolutely disagree.
    Side comparison of the Pre and Evo.. best I could do. :P

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Sprint now has the Evo on sale for $199 (for new lines or qualified upgrades). How long will they maintain the $149 price for the Pre? My daughter is anxious to get a Pre (unless she falls in love with the Evo), but $149 seems a crazy price at the moment.
    "Still selling" is relative. Even with Sprint as starved for modern smartphones as they are, their WebOS sales declined each quarter like everyone else.

Not really the point I was making anyway. Sprint's upfront prices combined with their stupid mail-in rebates are a deterrent, plain and simple. Especially at places like Best Buy where all four carriers are sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlehrer View Post
    Sprint now has the Evo on sale for $199 (for new lines or qualified upgrades). How long will they maintain the $149 price for the Pre? My daughter is anxious to get a Pre (unless she falls in love with the Evo), but $149 seems a crazy price at the moment.
    A shake of a magic 8-Ball is about as accurate as responses to your question.
    In other words, no one really knows.
    If they dropped the Pre to $49.99 I'd probably use my upgrade to get a shiny new one. ha

I haven't heard anything about that - or any other pricing plans - from Sprint yet though.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Sprint can't have that many pre's left. If they had a ton I'm sure they would drop the price by now?
    actually, when not using 4g many reviews say the battery life is pretty good. And there really isn't a reason to leave 4g on for any reason unless you're using it as a hotspot which you shouldn't expect good battery life at that point. The option of 4g is nice because you can do voice and data, you can get the speeds when you need it, and you don't have any caps so you can stream and download till your heart's content.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    LoL i can't wait to see the "EVO" battery life sucks!!! why did they release the phone in this condition posts. But i still think origional poster should wait at this point.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Side comparison of the Pre and Evo.. best I could do. :P

See people, the Evo isn't that big.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    See people, the Evo isn't that big.
    could you do a video and post youtube?
    oops.. this comment is for barkerja
    nevermind found one here

evo can't beat webos card system. evo fail
    only seems to be 1 video showing both together. could you still make that video?^
    Last edited by double1; 06/01/2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    That was the worst review you could ever point to.
    I don't understand why, is it because the Evo 4G totally loses the the comparison against the iPhone? Did you forget, that the iPhone is the market leader, and I'm sure that HTC will compete in the same market as the fruity one makes money. So it has to be compared against it.

Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    For one, how much justification can you take, when in the topic title its an iPhone Lover's reveiw of the EVO. That was probably the dumbest review I have ever read regarding any phone.

If the review title reads that, then I am 100% sure the writer would say anything to negate what the EVO can do. And its already been shown that the battery lasts more than 4 hours of usage.

If people read reviews like that when the PRE was released...Palm would have been under a year ago.
    It's a review. And it is always good to read some reviews if they are not written looking trough some pink and shiny glasses. I'm sure that this review doesn't suit in your little world, but it is a review!
    What platform are you leaving to join Android and the Evo 4G?

Palm's webOS 12.9% (1,597 votes)
    Windows Mobile 12.7% (1,567 votes)
    BlackBerry OS 37.6% (4,653 votes)
    Symbian 4% (495 votes)
    iPhone OS 13.2% (1,634 votes)
    Upgrading from a previous Android phone 3.6% (451 votes)
    This is my first smartphone 11.2% (1382 votes)
    Palm OS 4.9% (602 votes)
    Total Votes: 12,381
    View Comments (15)
    Return To PollShare This
    Last edited by kinster02; 06/03/2010 at 02:00 AM.