View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

    286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

    222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

    80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

    286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

    18 2.02%
Page 104 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4549499100101102103104105106107108109114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 3633
  1. #2061  
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  2. neoncorey's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #2062  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post

    The only reason I did not post in the cross platform was because while it does sound like I am strictly looking for other OS opinions; I am also looking for known answers/ideas on the issues I am having with my phones. I don't want to totally give up on WebOS. I will edit my original post reflecting this as well.

    My apologies.
  3. #2063  
    I def. would not buy a regular palm pre at this time. I would def. get the Evo or wait.
  4. #2064  
    ^^No problem at all neoncorey. Might I suggest splitting up your post a bit. Leave the Android questions here (Cross Platform) and make 2 other posts in the Pre and Pixi forums (or 1 in webOS forum).
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/01/2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5. #2065  
    Palm should start competing with Blackberry, and should develop/incorporate enterprise level push email, push messaging, better PIM, document editing etc on top priority. Blackberry users (who are bored with their existing devices) will come...for sure!

    So while Android becomes a mainstream OS, Palm should focus on enterprise and entertainment...that's my take.
  6. #2066  
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    I def. would not buy a regular palm pre at this time. I would def. get the Evo or wait.
    How long have you used an EVO? Why would you recommend it based on your experience with it?
  7. #2067  
    I had it in my pocket at best buy ( they had a demo) in person it isnt as big as it looks. Was perfect. I wish the next Pre is close to that size. Maybe not quite as big but close.
  8. #2068  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdv22 View Post
    How long have you used an EVO? Why would you recommend it based on your experience with it?

    LoL i can't wait to see the "EVO" battery life sucks!!! why did they release the phone in this condition posts. But i still think origional poster should wait at this point.
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/01/2010 at 10:13 AM.
  9. #2069  
    I would also not recomend buying a PRE only because its a year old and new one will eventually be out. Not saying buy a EVO but any newer phone.
  10. #2070  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    LoL i can't wait to see the "EVO" battery life sucks!!! why did they release the phone in this condition..
    I wasn't trying to be mean, some people have been lucky enough to get their hands on the EVO and being a Technology nut I am very curious about the experience. I suspect the battery drain is going to be crazy.

    I am sticking with HPalm because of all the reasons I listed above. That and the EVO's is too bulky IMO. I don't have small hands but if it is till a stretch to use with one hand, I'm out.
  11. #2071  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I would also not recomend buying a PRE only because its a year old and new one will eventually be out. Not saying buy a EVO but any newer phone.
    I think the biggest thing against buying a Pre isn't that it is a year old, because for a lot of people like my wife, that year old tech is still good 'nuff.

    My biggest F'ing gripe is that the Sprint Pre still costs more than the VZ or AT&T Pre Plus. *** is that all about? So dumb, it makes me angry.
    Last edited by jwdv22; 06/01/2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: apparenlty you can't say W tee F
  12. #2072  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Truth is the Palm Pre Plus is virtually identical to the original Pre anyway - the extra RAM doesn't help a lot in real terms - it certainly doesn't let apps load faster or make navigation faster. Yes you get an extra 8GB storage, and that may be important to you.

    Honestly, the Pre and the Pre Plus are so identical in performance terms and (mostly) hardware that you could easily justify getting an original Pre.
    With all due respect, having had both the Pre (Sprint) and now the Pre Plus (VZW), the extra RAM does matter, in that I have not had a single "Too Many Cards" error since getting my Pre Plus. Also, an additional 8 GB of storage can make a large difference.

    That said, were I the OP, I would consider trying to buy a used Sprint Pre for now, activate on the network, and save the upgrade credit for whatever webOS devices comes next to Sprint. webOS is just more usable than Android, and while the EVO hardware is zippy and cool, it can't make up for the fact that it runs Android. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  13. #2073  
    I was reading your post....and am wondering what you meant by this..." Although mobile hotspot is nice and I do have it on my Palm pre now thanks to my beloved PreCentral extended family" I'd love my pre to be a mobile hot spot...! Is there a way to do that..?

    thanks for explaining..!
    Dawn
  14. #2074  
    I love my Pre, but I the Web OS ecosystem hasn't developed to the point I need it to. (I.E. Docs to go etc.)
    For the next year I go with the EVO, and we'll see what happens. I may regret it, but I can't wait any longer for Palm to play catch up. Hopefully this time next year Palm will have some killer hardware, and advancements to the OS will catch up. If so I will be back.
    In the meantime my wife just upgraded to a Pixi and is loving it!
    Last edited by GoSteelers; 06/01/2010 at 11:00 AM.
  15. #2075  
    I'd agree that it's an absolute waste to use your Sprint upgrade credit toward buying a Palm Pre at the moment.

    In Atlanta, Craigslist Pre phones are going between $80-150. It'll drop even further once Evo arrives. If you must go with WebOS, please buy a used one and wait and see what new hardware is coming down the pike.
  16. #2076  
    Another vote to not use your upgrade. you need to figure the value of a two year upgrade that can be worth $300, against just buying a used Pre.
  17. #2077  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdv22 View Post
    I think the biggest thing against buying a Pre isn't that it is a year old, because for a lot of people like my wife, that year old tech is still good 'nuff.

    My biggest F'ing gripe is that the Sprint Pre still costs more than the VZ or AT&T Pre Plus. *** is that all about? So dumb, it makes me angry.
    That's your biggest gripe?

    You really aren't comparing apples with apples. Sprint plans are significantly cheaper than either AT&T or Verizon. Sprint offers Any Mobile calling which makes getting the lowest minutes plan actually feasible.

    Any phone you buy on sprint will be cheaper once you factor in the monthlies. Even the Evo.
  18. #2078  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's your biggest gripe?

    You really aren't comparing apples with apples. Sprint plans are significantly cheaper than either AT&T or Verizon. Sprint offers Any Mobile calling which makes getting the lowest minutes plan actually feasible.

    Any phone you buy on sprint will be cheaper once you factor in the monthlies. Even the Evo.
    Not sure what other gripe I should have against buying a Sprint Pre. You seem to imply that I should.

    My biggest gripe is that you are paying more for older hardware. Sprint has never reduced the price on the Pre. Why is that? Doesn't that seem odd? Don't most phones prices go down over time, especially when new devices are launched on other carriers? I have my Pre on Sprint, I understand Sprint is cheaper for the plans, that still does not explain the price difference. Even Dieter and Derek were dumbfounded at Sprint on this front.
  19. #2079  
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    Hello,

    I'm not sure if the actual techcrunch review of the Evo 4G is already posted in this thread: An iPhone Loverís Take On The HTC EVO 4G

    You should read it, before you say a fast "Goodbye my Pre..." :-)

    I personally think Engadget do great reviews, but this time, they reviewed the Evo 4G as a hyped smartphone with NO neutral position. Just my oppinion...
    That was the worst review you could ever point to.

    For one, how much justification can you take, when in the topic title its an iPhone Lover's reveiw of the EVO. That was probably the dumbest review I have ever read regarding any phone.

    If the review title reads that, then I am 100% sure the writer would say anything to negate what the EVO can do. And its already been shown that the battery lasts more than 4 hours of usage.

    If people read reviews like that when the PRE was released...Palm would have been under a year ago.
  20. #2080  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I am a hardware ***** and am still going to wait for the next palm device. The evo is nice but HTC made some very puzzling design decisions when making the device. The huge screen looks nice but is an old school lcd not an oled which is going to kill battery and give a less impressive picture. they went with a first gen snapdragon which as fast as it is will be supplanted in the coming weeks with better/faster models (the chip in the pre can actually handle 3-D graphics better than that snapdragon), not to mention coming out running android 2.1 with no known upgrade timeline to 2.2 (sprint hero users had to wait 8 months for an update.

    The evo will be the rage now but in a month or 2 will already been old and dated by android standards
    Says who? OLED has not proven to be a battery saver. Reviews have the Evo battery life pretty much the same as the incredible and nexus one.

    Further moer this compare shot of the Evo and Nexus one screens show that AMOLED is more hype than anything.

    I'll take viewing my phone in daytime more than super saturated colors.


    And even if the Evo was some how dated in 2 months time....its still better than the Pre (in the eyes of buyers) no?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions