View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 10 of 182 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Issey_phresh View Post
    anyone who ditches webos for android will regret it...and ultimately come crawling back once webos gets new hardware to help it shine...but as for me once I get my phone running at 800mhz it's gonna take more than just a bunch of hyped specs to make me ditch my pre! Unless of course we get WiMaxx anytime soon in Detroit...which I seriously doubt!
    Exactly, ONCE webOS gets new hardware, if i can get it in the meantime, I will. I seriously doubt that Palm will launch something comparable in such a short time frame considering that webOS itself is not *yet* capable of some of the features the EVO has and mostlikely will take Palm quite a while if they are even working on them already. Now, that said, if there's something I will truly miss, it will be synergy and card multitasking. Once Palm (if they ever) get to make something that sweet I will be "crwling back"
    I LOVE webOS. The Pre? Well, if it didn't have such crappy hardware (I've replaced a few already), and a faster processor and better battery life, I'd be pretty happy with it.
    Personally, I love my Pre when it works. Problem is I seem to have more trouble with it than pleasure. So far 3 phones in about 6-8months and I'm possibly working on my 4th. For some reason my phone app, email app and text app keep getting turned off.

I wasn't horribly impressed by the iPhone and my neighbor recently got a HTC from Verizon. Not sure what I thought about it, but I just got an email from Sprint regarding the new HTC EVO 4G, I must admit it looks interesting. Does this belong on the Pre Forum, not sure, but personally, as someone that is about done messing with Palm, I'm glad to possibly have another choice out there! I will admit, I'm not crazy about a bigger phone, the Pre is a great size, but it's just not a well built phone, no matter what anyone says. Great OS, great feel, crappy build.... In 13 years as a Sprint customer, the only phone I've had close to as much trouble with was Sony's slider phone from the early days of sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    I agree - I think all the constant complaints need to be isolated into their own thread. I long for the day when I can come into this forum and not find any "Pre is dead/or is dying" posts. If you don't like the Pre - that is your right and privilege - get the other phone you admire and migrate to their forum. There is a difference between an "I need help" post and an "attack" post. I love my Pre and if the day comes that I decide to leave it will be reluctantly because the Pre is not meeting my needs. I knew in advance the Pre was a first-year phone and with Sprint that gives me/them a year to meet my needs. I sincerely hope Palm makes it - but if they don't it is no big deal. It is just a tool. I would respectfully suggest the complainers do more research before moving to their next phone.

I agree with most of what you say, except for some of us, there wasn't much research out there when we bought the Pre. There was a lot of hype and for me, the sales reps at sprint steared me away from the instinct, which in my opinion was the only close contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    I knew in advance the Pre was a first-year phone and with Sprint that gives me/them a year to meet my needs. I sincerely hope Palm makes it - but if they don't it is no big deal. It is just a tool. I would respectfully suggest the complainers do more research before moving to their next phone.
    Ah, the "research" canard. I'm curious as to how people who bought it on launch day, or even shortly thereafter could research build quality issues that would persist 9 months later, or "Too Many Cards" errors that are getting worse as more updates arrive, or really any of the bugs that future updates would introduce?

Does this all fall under "first year phone", and should we silently sit back and give Palm a pass until year two? Problems still persist even with their "Plus" hardware refresh. Are we supposed to wait until the +++++ before we're entitled to "complain"?

It just seems like with the sales being where they are, complainers...well, you know...might have a point. And the thing is, many are moving to other platforms, even if some stay here to watch WebOS progress.
    Why don't the mods just create a sprint, att, and vzw category
    If you all don't like reading posts about other phones on a "palm pre forum", then why are you even commenting on the thread..If you don't like it just ignore it...geez..its just that simple..Personally I don't mind the talks of another phone..Hopefully there are palm workers looking in on the forum and seeing how people will jump ship if palm doesn't come out with something that compares to the HTC EVO.
    I think of inspector gadget when I think of a phone like the htc evo. The ultimate phone isn't one where everything is pilled into it. Like i've said before, this phone is for tech geeks only.
    I'm wondering, if this phone was a webos device, how many people would complain about the size or the virtual keyboard?..lol..I think everybody would be in awwww, with their jaws on the floor and would be ready to burn their pre or pre plus for this phone...I really hope palm comes out with a big touchscreen 4g phone but if they don't..I have to switch over..You cannot deny that beautiful screen that the EVO has..not to mention a 1ghz processor..8mp cam..4g...and..ummm u get the point.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Ah, the "research" canard. I'm curious as to how people who bought it on launch day, or even shortly thereafter could research build quality issues that would persist 9 months later, or "Too Many Cards" errors that are getting worse as more updates arrive, or really any of the bugs that future updates would introduce?

Does this all fall under "first year phone", and should we silently sit back and give Palm a pass until year two? Problems still persist even with their "Plus" hardware refresh. Are we supposed to wait until the +++++ before we're entitled to "complain"?

It just seems like with the sales being where they are, complainers...well, you know...might have a point. And the thing is, many are moving to other platforms, even if some stay here to watch WebOS progress.
    Oh, you mean we shouldn't have bought in to it when that Matt dude (from the video) said he runs 4-5 cards daily without a problem? Wonder if his screen was also leaking like mine does? Wonder if he was running 1.4 that just hangs and reboots my phone whenever it feels like it?

Of the dozen or so Pre's that we saw and heard about in the wild, it was all very good feedback.
    I'm a premier customer, and come June 6th, if Palm hasn't announced a new phone, I'm going with this BEAST. If/when Palm release something that can compare to this BEAST, then I'll come crawling back. But the specs on this is too good to pass up. Plus, I still think the phone functionality of the Pre isn't that great. Come on, detachable memory!!! With 1 gig already on board. The snapdragon, the 8 mega pixel, the size of the screen. I'm drooling over my keyboard, as I type this now. I never thought I would give up a hard keyboard, but this BEAST is testing my resolve.
    I bet the HTC Touch Pro 3 has the specs of the Evo,with a landscape keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    lol, I think I'll have to agree with you. The only thing that I'm struggling with right now is, I want an physical keyboard still.
    ahhh see. I just listened to the CTIA special podcast and regarding the HTC EVO, one of the guys says something along the lines of "I just don't know if this is going to appeal to mass quantities of people". Exactly what I was thinking/saying.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    I bet the HTC Touch Pro 3 has the specs of the Evo,with a landscape keyboard.
    Will it be a WM phone though?
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    yeah i personally don't get the need for a gigantic screen. I think it's really about maximizing the screen real estate efficiently and I think my Pre does that pretty darn well. It's not like I need 10 widgets on my homescreen.

I'll take a slightly bigger Pre with super solid build quality and a PHYSICAL keyboard any day of the week. I actually really like the Pre's look and feel. I wouldn't want them to change it for a behemoth like the EVO.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I'm undecided, hopefully Palm at least hints at a new device before the EVO 4G goes on sale.

I mean I can't think of a better phone spec wise, plus there's many apps that have yet to make it to webOS that I miss from my iPhone, G1, and even BlackBerry. I love webOS though and the entire updating debacle on Android worries me, which is probably the main reason I'd prefer to stick with Palm, as I don't want to get an EVO 4G and be stuck with Android 2.1 then finally get an update 6 months later only to have the OS be possibly outdated again. That and I've gotten a phone or 2 before that launched full of bugs and never got a ROM update in a timely manner (or at all) like Palm or Apple do.

Seeing as my area is pegged to have Sprint 4G by the end of this year now, if Palm doesn't do a 4G device, I might jump ship anyways for something that does have 4G.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    yeah i personally don't get the need for a gigantic screen. I think it's really about maximizing the screen real estate efficiently and I think my Pre does that pretty darn well. It's not like I need 10 widgets on my homescreen.
    For me, the EVO just saved me $600 because I cancelled my iPad.

My "lounging" history goes like this. I own a 15" Macbook Pro that I'd for travelling or on the couch when watching TV. The iPhone cut down my laptop usage by a large margin because it eliminated the laptop entirely for lounging and smaller trips. The Pre replaced nothing because the screen size and slow OS were a pain and it lacked any good apps.

But recently I reluctantly preordered the iPad. It's big enough for lounging but too big for daily outdoor use so it's completely a single use device. I thought it would work out, but now a 4.3" EVO changes everything. The screen is big enough to be functional, the features (front facing webchat cam and HDMI out) enable it to replace the notebook on business travel, the Android app catalog looks robust enough that I could find what I need, and the overall EVO size isn't obnoxious like the iPad.

So for me, what Palm could've learned from EVO was that they should've aimed their device at power users rather than the lipstick crowd. Todays smartphones are tomorrows laptops so give us a big screen.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I cant wait!!! I love what ive seen so far from that phone !! omg android here i come ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    So pretty much just put webos on an EVO and call it a day...
    Here ya go!

(Sorry for the crappy quality, my photoshop skills are pretty minimal )
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Wow.....the... more and more I see this phone I am absolutely stunned. It is the Jesus phone, it is the Frankenstein phone....I dont know if I would even use my laptop anymore after getting this phone...honestly just take the hdmi and hook it up to a monitor with keyboard and mouse.....This is THEE phone....everything else is obsolete...anything other than 4g is a fail and the iphone and pre or done....Sorry guys love webOs but if Palm doesnt make there next phone similar to this BEAST..it's going to fail.
    Last edited by AlwayzRight; 03/24/2010 at 04:26 PM.