Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A number of Verizon Motorola DROID X threads are merged into this one thread.

DROID X and Palm Pre

Hardware
    Overall Size: Droid X overall size is smaller than the closed Pre: 5.2 vs. 6.4 cubic inches
    Screen Size: 4.3" vs. 3.1"
    Resolution: 480 x 854 HD is double the 320 x 480
    Speed: 1 GHz processor vs 600 MHz (Pre2 is 1 GHz)
    Storage: 16GB microSD card included, supports up to 32GB vs. no micro SD
    Camera Resolution: 8 MP vs 3 MP (5MP Pre 2)
    Autofocus: Yes vs. No for Pre, Pre Plus or Pre 2
    Digital Zoom: 3x vs. none
    Voice Dialing: Yes vs. No
    HD output: 720p HDMI vs. none
    Video Chat: Qik Video Conferencing vs. none
    Keyboard: Onscreen, For a slide-out keyboard see the Epic or Droid 2
    • The Droid X has nothing like the Palm Touchstone

Basic Android features
    • Many webOS homebrew patches are already built into Android or are apps.
    • Speech to Text - say a message or email instead of typing it.
    • Widgets let you customize your home screen
    • Voice Search is much like like universal search but by voice

Android's open API's allows for apps not in webOS
    • A variety of Android music players instead of one in webOS
    • Android mic access allows speech and sound recognition in apps like:
    - - Shazam can use an Android mic to listen to a song & tell you what it is
    - - Voice Actions can do things like "send text to Jeff Miller See you at 10"
    - - Talk to Me hears your spoken words and says it in other languages.
    - - gStrings can tune your guitar, base, violin, etc.
    • Android developers can access the camera for apps like:
    - - Camera 360 - Camera Magic - Camera Pro (4x zoom) - Camera ZOOM FX - Vignette
    - - Layar can use the an Android camera to look beyond walls
    - - Barcode Scanner can use the camera to read barcodes
    • Other apps available now in Android
    - - Swype - type by sliding a finger around. Sets Guinness Record - More.
    - - Amazon Nook & Barnes and Noble Kindle eReaders (900,000 free books)
    - - Flash Beta 3 - Yes, it is real.
    • There are 100,000 Android apps...

The Droid X has performed well in speed testing even before Android 2.2. The Droid X also includes an FM Radio.

Palm Pre/Pre 2 Comparisons:
    - 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate - iPhone 4
    - w/Keyboards: 4" Samsung Epic - 3.7" Droid 2 Global

For more information on the Verizon's Motorola DROID X see:
    - Droid X on Verizon: Everything you need to know
    - Droid X Pre, Pre 2, and EVO Comparison Chart
    - Froyo (Android 2.2) and Adobe Flash coming to Droid X 'later this summer'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/04/2010 at 09:19 PM.
    anyone else paying attention to the droid X launch on verizon?

I mean seriously, how much money are they getting from google, adobe, and motorola?

i remember the pre plus launching on vzw back in january, and how excited I was. but there was no press release, heck it wasnt even advertised on verizonwireless.com's website. one of the quietest launches ever, similar to the herd of winmo and blackberry qwerty devices that have been launched on vzw in the past (except the original storm, what a bust, but note the quiet launch of the storm 2). AND, if I recall correctly, when palm announced verizon as a carrier at CES, no verizon ceo or exec was even live at the event, just some bozo who came via a pre-recorded tele-feed like he was accepting a grammy award while on the road somewhere.

now I realize that palm didnt and doesnt have the finances to launch an all out advertising blitz for the pre plus, reinforced by the quiet att launch as well. but I have NO DOUBT that the lack of advertising push is the single greatest factor in the palm pre's failure in capturing the consumer crowd. watch how many droid X's sell on vzw now.

but this isnt my rant about sprint and att. its a rant on vzw. i am a long time vzw customer and likely will remain one for a long time. i am also a long time palm fan and "******" if you must, and hopefully plan on continuing to be one for the long term, pending hp's plans.

however, I had another one of those interesting conversations with vzw marketing yesterday. so my wife (secondary line) is interested in upgrading her lg dare to a smartphone. being open minded, i suggested she play with all the phones including my pre plus and make a decision. she is pretty adamant against a touch screen keyboard given her experiences with the dare. she also does not have a google account and is concerned about google's privacy issues (see wifi scandal, 20% apps may be spyware, google knows everything, right?). regardless, i suggested a palm phone, blackberry, or android with a keyboard (no winmo phones). she is due for an upgrade in mid august, but wants to upgrade sooner. periodically over the past few months I have gotten email and mail from vzw to upgrade her line early (android, blackberry, and palm offers), but we didnt bite at the time.

so now that she is interested I called verizon customer service, they connected me to the marketing dept. i was on hold for a while, and they played an advertisement for palm phones, again emphasizing that it is good for mothers balancing work and family, etc. a pleasant lady then came on the phone and informed me there are no current promotions but that there will be in two weeks come july (probably indirectly referencing the droid X but she wasnt allowed to say yesterday). anyway, she went on to give me the pro's of each phone- she initially mentioned blackberry (apps, emails, messaging were her points) and android (apps, multimedia were her points). to her credit she mentioned palm phones (good for syncing, email, messaging, and "calendering", but then went on to say that they dont have a lot of good apps. i reminded her that I have a palm phone. i reminded her of free mobile hot spot, and classic software, and 3d gaming, etc) she said it was a good phone, but again, that it didnt have a lot of apps. she asked if I was happy with it, I said yes (duh), and she said most people have been (encouraging). she asked if I was a long term palm user, I confirmed. she then said most of the people who buy palm phones have been long term loyal palm users. (light bulb goes off in my head). she then suggested I direct my wife to the blackberry and android app store to review their features and apps to determine which ones she would want when she gets her phone so that she can be prepared for it. she didnt direct me anywhere to review palm phones.

so to sum up, though she was nice about it and acknowledged the palm phones' existence, this is yet another example of verizon's inadequate marketing of the pre and pixi plus phones. yes, palm is also at fault, but mainly because they dont have the resources to advertise. quality of hardware and lack of apps obviously has some role, but mainly to tech savy folks not the every day users like my wife. if you dont agree, see how many original bb storm phones were sold on the merit of advertising alone, but from all accounts it was a terrible phone with subpar hardware. thats why RIM immediately did a re-do with the storm 2.

what I got out of my conversation was that the only reason VZW picked up the palm phones was to keep all their LOYAL palm fans (esp ones lingering around with the treo 650/700/755s) to stay on vzw and not leave for sprint or att which they knew was also getting the pre. ). same reason that ATT picked it up. to me that means there must have been a significant number of treo users on vzw for them to carry the phone in their portfolio. they did not and continue to not see the need to advertise the phones, because they know how loyal palm users generally are and they we will accept the phone as is without the need to be sold. they have no need "sell" the phone to anyone else except mothers, which was and continues to be a failed advertising push. same reasoning behind them maintaining pretty decent bb curves and winmo phones without advertising. anyone see the dust collecting on omnia 2 and htc imagios in vzw stores?

I have no clue how vzw will sell off all their excess inventory of palm phones with their current marketing habits.

anyways, hopefully, vzw will continue to carry palm phones in the future, maybe HP can push vzw to better market hpalm phones, i certainly hope vzw doesnt become blinded by google and maybe apple in the near future. there are still plenty of us that dont want a google or apple or blackberry phone... right?

sorry for the rant...
    Last edited by MDsmartphone; 06/23/2010 at 01:54 PM.
    So it seems to me that the new Droid X might not be so great. It seems that the Verizon Reps don't have confidence in their new product when someone wants a side by side comparison with the iPhone 4. If i thought my product was better, I would have no problem comparing my product with the competition.

Verizon representatives don't want reporters comparing iPhone to Droid x | 9 to 5 Mac
    As a retail manager, I would shy away from comparing products that I didn't carry. There's never any benifit to giving free advertising to the compitition.

Since Verizon doesn't carry the iPhone, I don't expect a Verizon rep to know enough about it to offer a good comparison anyway.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I agree with the above. I also wonder why do a comparison between a released device and an unreleased device? The show was about the Droid X. Plenty of time to do comparisons after the release.

Engadget went through this recently when they put the Evo against the iPhone. They pulled the article because iPhone 4 had been unreleased. To be honest, it makes sense to me.
    That "journalist" was likely invited there to film in the understanding that it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. VZW gets "press" coverage for a new device and the journalist gets his money shots for his editor. When you start screwing with that they will get antsy as they are no longer in control of the situation.

<<Thread Moved>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/23/2010 at 06:48 PM.
    9to5 Mac? Yeah right!

So they didn't bother to check into the reasons, but assume it's fear of the iPhone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Version_3 View Post
    I agree with the above. I also wonder why do a comparison between a released device and an unreleased device? The show was about the Droid X. Plenty of time to do comparisons after the release.

Engadget went through this recently when they put the Evo against the iPhone. They pulled the article because iPhone 4 had been unreleased. To be honest, it makes sense to me.
    Yep and soon like it or not, there will be comparisons between the two and every thing else on the market.

I wonder if verizon is trying to suckup, so apple might give them a cdma version?
    might I add I convinced 2 more people to get the pre plus on vzw today, that makes 5 total.

probably more than vzw customer service...
    I had a tx...now a treo 755p and love everything about it except would like a larger screen. I looked at the iPhone but discovered the 1000 files....excel and word and pdf could not be used on the iPhone. So looking at the DroidX. I bought one of the Pre Plus' but the battery life wasn't bad...it was VERY BAD! I made a test on the PP....thoroughly charged at 8 am...no calls, no games, nothing except turning it on every hour to check the charge. By 1:00 pm, it had less than 20% charge! I can't have that! Can someone tell me about the prognosis of the battery life on the Droid X???
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Yep and soon like it or not, there will be comparisons between the two and every thing else on the market.

I wonder if verizon is trying to suckup, so apple might give them a cdma version?
    If you haven't seen the news, Verizon is now apart of the GSM association. They can now become an official GSM carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    If you haven't seen the news, Verizon is now apart of the GSM association. They can now become an official GSM carrier.
    LTE is the 4th gen cellular technology for GMS. Verizon is deploying LTE rather than WiMax. So them joining that group makes sense.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I didn't know, but originally it was LTE for data and they were keeping cdma for voice. Post the link to this info you speak or shall I dig? Verizon has dumped billions into their cdma network, seems hard for me to believe they would dump that.
    battery life isn't the greatest but it's not the worst, plus it's replaceable.
    I start my day at 7am, use the phone all day long with epocrates, fb, twitter, app catalog, engadget, precentral and other websites, email, phone calls, and text messages. With mugen 1400 battery, I have about 30% charge by midnight. What more can you expect?

droid x has a bigger battery so technically it should last longer, but not out of the box. You would probably have to tweak various settings to get decent life. Look at the evo's rated battery life, despite a bigger battery than the pre's it's life is shorter! So I would assume the same with the droid x.
    Thanks! Do you have the pre or the droid?
    pre plus all the way.
    no droids here.
    Why would they have to dump CDMA? Wouldn't any LTE device on Verizon also have a CDMA radio just like the Evo has WiMax and CDMA radios?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why would they have to dump CDMA? Wouldn't any LTE device on Verizon also have a CDMA radio just like the Evo has WiMax and CDMA radios?
    That's exactly as I thought and I haven't heard a thing about vz going gsm over cdma. Just LTE as opposed to wimax for 4G. I also can't find any info about vz going gsm for voice.
    Though despite the controversy it would be nice to have the iPhone option on VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    That's exactly as I thought and I haven't heard a thing about vz going gsm over cdma. Just LTE as opposed to wimax for 4G. I also can't find any info about vz going gsm for voice.
    I don't know if Verizon plans to drop CDMA voice for LTE's voice protocol. Keep in mind that everyone else on Verizon will still be using 3g phones.. Verizon's CDMA tech. LTE is just another flavor of "4G".

From what I have read, WiMax devices can be switched over to LTE with a Radio fireware update. I am no expert on this though.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast