Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You know you're wasting your time with a platform when you have to go searching for alternate free email clients. Or browsers. Or media players.

Hope HP gets this..
    If i had the options to pick a better solution vs. the stock i'm fine with it.

You're saying you're fine with the stock Music Player on the Pre?
    HI all,

LOL, a funny look at voice to text on the Droid X. Enjoy!

Take care,

Jay

A Review of the Droid X, Wr item Written on the D rod Droid X
    Posted Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:28 AM | By Tom Scocca

Scocca : A Review of the Droid X, Wr item Written on the D rod Droid X

Overview of the trade x written on the droid rocks

A review of detroit tax return on the droid tax

Overview of the droid tax return on the droid tax

A review of the Drois Z written on rhw Droid X

I tried to write the title of this Using the voice recognition on the Deoid X but it didn,'t go very well. I tries the voice recognition. Wcause because the virtual keyboard ia pretty a.nohing annoying too.

I had written that last bit once before.., half an hour ago., but then the Droid x crashed, all at once: annoying keypad interface replaced by blank glossy black slab. Totally inert. I had to yank the battery.

Then it turned out that when I got the phone., the thing I thought was a throwaway film blocking the. Artery. Battery was supposed to stay there, because without the floppy yellow throwaway tab., there's no good way to pry out the battery. Every$ 200 machine should depend on a thick piece of scotch tape. I guess the iPhone needs duct tape to protect the
    Antwnn antenna, so that's a wash.

ProbBly there was some fine print on the pullout telling me not to remove it, but I am an Old and my eyes are bad. All I saw was "PULL." Or it could be that the whole thimg about not removing the plastic was an Internet hoax. I am an Old.

I am an Old and the Droid X makes me uneasy. Somehow I hVe have switched it to another typing mode in which it thrums gently each time I touch thw screen. It offered me a tutorial in this input method. Learn from your Droid. Learn the new ways.

It is very easy to launch and activate things,on the Droid and not at all easy to unlaunch and deactivate. I told it to look for the Fairway while I was trying out the maps, and for the next two or three days, it kept looking for the Fairway, notifying me that it was hunting for satellite coordinates every time I tried to see my incoming e-maiL, till finAlly I needed the maps to axtually axru actually help me get somewhere, at which point I figured out how to make DROID MISSION: FAIRWAY SUPERMARKET stand down.

Now when I axcidentally hit the voice recognition virtual key, which is beside the virtual backspace key (which I am using a lot to keep this even half-readable), the whole phone grays out and frwe# freezes for a while, then tells me voice recogmition isn.'t working.

I got a Droid instead of an iPhone because I moved to New York, and the iPhone-depleted AT&T network was even worse than I'd expected. So now yesterday I got a call on Verizon that was fALLing to pieces. Too many Droid X customers, I guess. The call was some poor mope from Comcast trying to offer me great savings because his computer told him I had recently cut off my Comcast service. The computer hadn't registered that I had cut off Comcast because I had moved away from Comcast. Even when I told the poor mope this, he kept clinging on th e terrible Verizon line trying to sell me service I couldn't use.

Oh, right, the Droid X. I never dreamed a cell phone could do so many things. Then again, I always also sort of expected that a cell phone would fit in my pocket.

Maybe they'll make one that does 3/4 as many things at 3/4 the size?

When I told the sales guy I carry my phone in my pocket, he sold me a protextive case that's a rubber phone-jockstrap that does nothing to protext the vast glass screen, which seems like selling a pickup truck with lots of cargo nets but no seatbelts. And the rubber covers the glowing icons on the Droid's buttons. Soon I will have all the buttons memorized, their funxtions programmed into my nervous system, and that won't matter. But not now.

I would publish this straight to SlAte from my Droid, but the Droid browser won't comply. I can go to the blog page Nd type my usernMe and password, but the "log in" button is inert. I can make it glow orange by touching it, but I can.'t make it go log me in. Some incompAtibility. The Droid X doesn't have anything as old-fashioned as a return key or a mouse click to tell the browser to go ahead already.

So I'm writing th is in Gmail and sending it to myself, SO I can pate paste it from my laptop. Oh hey that's how this other virtual keyboard works: finger "-dragging. Live and learn. Or else.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Verizon Wireless DROID X plagued by Wi-Fi connectivity issues? « Boy Genius Report

Chatter on the forums suggests that the latest update hitting the DROID X has not fixed the WiFi connectivity problem many users were reporting. Affected DROID X owners report that their handsets have difficulty connecting to a WiFi router and poor network performance once a connection has been established. Several users report that changing the encryption from AES to TKIP has alleviated the problem, while others note that changing your router to 802.11g instead of 802.11n has decreased the number of network disconnects. Anyone with a DROID X currently experiencing this problem?
    Hi all,

FYI, Unhackable no more!

Take care,

Jay

Verizon Motorola Droid X gets root – Superuser is here, eFuse be damned
    Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 at 11:05 AM PST

Verizon Motorola Droid X gets root, making geeks very happy

So remember how there was all that talk about how the Verizon Motorola Droid X could not be hacked, rooted, jailbroken, etc. because of a system protection technology known as eFuse? Well, while the blogosphere was busy passing around rumors that the Motorola Droid X would brick itself if you tried to gain root access, it looks like some Android devs were hard at work on a root method for the new big-screen Android smartphone from Big Red. Today, the Droid X has officially achieved root access, allowing users to get superuser permissions on the device.

While this is great news for anyone with a hankering for some customized Android action on their new Motorola Droid X, don’t expect to be able to flash custom ROMs onto the handset just yet. We still don’t have a custom recovery image for the Motorola superphone, which is required for flashing a non-factory ROM. It’s not clear how long it will take to find an eFuse workaround to get a custom ROM loaded on the handset, but we hope it’s not too long of a wait.

As it stands, the root method gives you superuser permissions on the smartphone that has proven to be the most compelling Motorola Android phone to date. By getting root on the X, you can uninstall all the pre-loaded apps that Verizon has loaded onto the Droid X, as well as install third-party apps that require root access to function. Superuser access should give most users enough leeway to tinker with the X to some extent, but, again, custom ROMs are not yet a possibility.

Follow the guide below to root your Motorola Droid X and gain superuser access!

*NOTE* We take no responsibility for any problems you have with your device. Do this at your own risk.*

You need to have ADB set up to get this root method accomplished. If you don’t already have it setup, here’s a great how-to guide from XDA-Developers to help you get going.

“Run” means type the command in quotes [but not the quotes] then press the Enter key.

Download the attached archive and expand it to a folder you can find (eg. c:\DroidXRoot_v2)
    Set up ADB (Step-by-step guide for Windows Vista/7 )
    On the phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the “USB debugging” option is enabled/checked.
    Status bar, USB connection: Make sure “PC Mode” is selected.
    Open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, “cmd”, OK; Linux: Terminal)
    Run “adb devices”. If you don’t see your device listed under “List of devices attached”, return to step 2 and follow the link to setup ADB (use that topic for support) and return here when “adb devices” lists your X.
    Run “CD c:\DroidXRoot” (or where ever you expanded the archive)
    Run “adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk“
    Run “adb push su /sdcard/su“
    Run “adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox“
    Run “adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid“
    Run “adb shell“
    Run “cd sqlite_stmt_journals“
    Run “chmod 755 exploid“
    On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
    IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
    Run “./exploid” and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you’ll be back at a shell prompt.
    Run “rootshell“. You’ll be prompted for a password.
    Type in password “secretlol” and press Enter then you are root! (You’ll know because your prompt will now be a “#” instead of “$”)
    Run “cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk“
    Run “cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su“
    Run “cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox“
    Run “chmod 4755 /system/bin/su“
    Run “chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox“
    Run “rm /system/bin/rootshell“
    Run “exit” to drop from root to a non-root user shell (on phone still)
    Run “exit” to drop back to your machine command prompt (instead of phone)
    To Confirm root is established:
    Run “adb shell“
    Run “su” (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)
    Watch your screen so you can allow Superuser root access.
    There you have it, it may not be as easy as the T-Mobile Vibrant’s root method, but at least we have something that works. As time goes on, the method will likely be shortened, and become easier for others. But for right now, this is what we’re working with. So have fun!

Props to AllDroid for posting this root guide for the Droid X.

[Via: AllDroid.org]
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Part of the beauty of Android is letting you find a good replacement to all the stock apps. It was part of Google's goal. Let the app market further drive competitiveness and innovation.

Also, Google has a business app store where different businesses can setup their own app store and have devices locked to it. Pretty sweet.

The Droid X has been getting great reviews btw. Only wish the bootloader wasn't encrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Aren't there multiple free Android email clients you can slap on?
    Yes, a lot of people use K9 Mail.
    Google Nexus One @ 1.113GHz w/ r21 MoDaCo Custom ROM FRF91 FroYo
    Fyi, this just gives you root access. It does not let you flash a custom ROM...that requires getting passed eFuse.
    Google Nexus One @ 1.113GHz w/ r21 MoDaCo Custom ROM FRF91 FroYo
    I don't get it. Wasn't the idea of droid, to be able customize it???? What is Moto thinking??????????
    Hi all,

FYI,

Take care,

Jay

Could the Droid X Replace Your Laptop?
    By Jeff Bertolucci, PC World

Could the Droid X Replace Your Laptop? - PCWorld Business Center

The Droid X appears to be an opening day hit. Motorola's new smartphone--Verizon Wireless' answer to the Apple iPhone 4 via AT&T and HTC EVO 4G via Sprint--has already sold out online and at various retail shops across the nation. The ongoing iPhone 4 antenna soap opera has no doubt helped spur interest in the Droid X, as have positive reviews and Verizon's aggressive and snarky ad campaign.

With its large 4.3-inch display, 8-megapixel camera, HDMI output, and the ability to capture high-def (720p) video, the Droid X has a strong multimedia focus that's resonating with consumers. But could the phone be a suitable laptop-replacement for business too?

For most of you, of course, the answer is a big, fat no. If you're deskbound and spend much of your day working with large spreadsheets, documents, presentations, or other files that demand a big display and a full-fledged productivity suite, the idea of a smartphone as a primary business PC probably seems like a joke.

But phone manufacturers disagree. Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha in June announced plans for a 2GHz Android smartphone that would ship by the end of the year. (By comparison, today's speediest smartphones, including the iPhone 4, Droid X, and EVO 4G, feature 1GHz processors.) Jha also predicted that mobile computers (i.e., laptops) would be replaced by smartphones in the enterprise within a few years, according to published reports.

A 2GHz smartphone chip would have its pros and cons, of course. The pros: More horsepower for video conferencing and training, and faster access to enterprise applications. The cons: A power-hungry CPU that's bound to drain your smartphone battery faster than today's 1GHz processors.

What about the Droid X? Could it cut it as a laptop-replacement device? For field workers, the answer may be yes, albeit with a few caveats. First, the phone now running Android 2.1 would need Android 2.2, the latest version of Google's mobile OS--an upgrade that's slated to happen later this summer.

Android 2.2 adds several business-friendly features, including enabling network administrators to secure sensitive data by remotely wiping users' phones. It also offers calendar sync for Exchange, better security with PIN-based lock-screens, and the capability for an Android e-mail app user to search and autocomplete names from the company directory.

In terms of hardware features, the Droid X just might work as a laptop-replacement--well, for some employees. The phone's impressive multimedia toolkit, including an 8MP camera and 720p video-capture, is handy for workers who spend a lot of time in the field, such as insurance claims adjusters.

For filling out online forms, the Droid X includes Swype, a data-entry tool that lets you enter text by sliding your finger across the on-screen keyboard. (In my tests with the Droid X, I've found Swype superior to single-digit tapping, although there is a brief learning curve.) And the HDMI-out port is handy for business travelers who frequently do PowerPoint presentations on the road.

What's missing? The Droid X could use a built-in Pico projector like the one in the new Samsung Galaxy Beam. That device projects a 50-inch presentation onto a wall and is convenient for product demos and training sessions.

Other smartphones? I've found the EVO 4G's battery life to be pathetically short, and a laptop-replacement phone needs to run at least a day before dying. And it's hard to recommend the iPhone 4 until Apple resolves the handset's antenna glitch. Samsung hasn't announced a release date for the Galaxy Beam in the United States.

The Droid X may be the latest, and perhaps greatest, mobile phone on the market today, but it'll be forgotten within months as newer, faster, and more feature-packed handsets take its place. Still, the device does point to a future where the laptop-replacing smartphone is a reality for businesses.
    nope, it can't even replace my Pre.
    Probally. the EVO has replaced my laptop for most uses.Going to washington this week and usually I bring a laptop but not this time bringing the EVO . Documents to go , Slingplayer I watch my home DVR , 4 inch sceen its pretty much replaced my laptop. And its not just the evo , the Droid x etc all are like mini tablets. And I am positive the next WEBOS phone will aslo be a good laptop replacment. Ofcourse there are some things no phone can replace a laptop for but these new phones come pretty close.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/30/2010 at 01:07 PM.
  11.    #51  
    The opening post is updated with a comparison between the Droid X and the Pre.
    The Droid X KILLS the Palm Pre Plus in hardware and software. With Froyo Android is getting even further ahead of WebOS.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    The Droid X KILLS the Palm Pre Plus in hardware and software. With Froyo Android is getting even further ahead of WebOS.
    I forgot to note that ForYo is coming. I will put that in the opening post. Thanks.

- Froyo (Android 2.2) and Adobe Flash coming to Droid X 'later this summer'
    What about the camera. Thet could at least have made it autofocus for close up shots.

That is one of my biggest gripes. My family fosters dogs and I often have to tae pictures with my Pre to quicly email them to potential adopters but I can't get a close up because it will blur.

And don't say they didn't have good cameras when Pre was first released because the LG Dare has a much better camera and it's a dumb phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    What about the camera. Thet could at least have made it autofocus for close up shots.

That is one of my biggest gripes. My family fosters dogs and I often have to tae pictures with my Pre to quicly email them to potential adopters but I can't get a close up because it will blur.

And don't say they didn't have good cameras when Pre was first released because the LG Dare has a much better camera and it's a dumb phone.
    You are correct. The last sentence should have said software. I've since fixed it. But the hardware issues are well known. Hence the puzzlement of comparing a brand new phone [hardware-wise] with an 18 month old phone.

Some will say you have to compare what is on the market at any given time. But the difference there is between someone who wants whatever is the latest at any given time vs. someone who like a particular platform (iPhone, Android, Palm, or Blackberry) and will wait to see what develops.

Not disparaging either position, but that is what drives most of the debates around here. And most don't understand that there will never be an agreement because people are looking at the issue from different philosophical bases.
    [Quote Deleted by moderator]

Hi, I have read a few rumors that Palm will be releasing a new smart phone in Nov.....if that is true, it would be a fair comparison.....otherwise, it is unfair to compare not just the 1st gen webOS phone with an andriod phone that is not 1st gen......let one the fact that the driod X is brand new and the Pre isn't.

Take care all,

Jay
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/11/2010 at 07:19 PM.
  17.    #57  
    This thread compares the best product currently available from one vendor with the best product currently available from another vendor. That is the point of the "Cross-Platform Chat" Forum:

Cross-Platform Chat
    Palm Devices (Pre, Pixi, Treo, etc) vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.

So please feel free to do exactly that.

If one vendor choses to release new product every few months, we should in fairness, compare their newest phones.

If a vendor removes a product from the market due to obsolescence, we should not compare it to current offerings.

But we should compare the products that each vendor continues to sell as their latest and greatest product.

So this thread compares the latest and greatest Sprint phone from Palm with the latest and greatest Sprint phone from Samsung.

That is the point.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/11/2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Understood. Hence my post. If you want what is best at any given point in time, it's easy to do. Typically, just select the newest product.

However, that is a poor basis for a decision to purchase if you are look at anything other what is the latest and greatest.

Nobody (at least not me) is implying that one cannot do that on this forum. My contention is that it should not be the only consideration. Is that OK to say here?

C
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Understood. Hence my post. If you want what is best at any given point in time, it's easy to do. Typically, just select the newest product.

However, that is a poor basis for a decision to purchase if you are look at anything other what is the latest and greatest.

Nobody (at least not me) is implying that one cannot do that on this forum. My contention is that it should not be the only consideration. Is that OK to say here?

C
    Absolutely. There are many factors to consider and we should talk out all of them. The first consideration is choosing a carrier with the coverage you need. Who cares about the phone if you can't get service.

Also in the past there have typically been natural cycles of one vendor coming out with the biggest and the best only to be toppled by another phone. Then a year later the first vendor releases another phone and is back on top.

Google has three major Android manufacturers each releasing 6 to 12 new phones every year. The rate of innovation with that kind of competition is magical. Product life-cycle in measured in weeks not months.

The sad part is that at one time Palm was the one who had a dozen companies developing phones for Palm OS.

Palm is on an 18-month development cycle. Hopefully they will get back down to 12 months. Everyone else is on a 3 month cycle. You know that Motorola has the next 6 updates to the Droid line all in the pipeline for the next 12 months. So does HTC and Samsung.

I bet we will see at least two great new Droids before we see another Palm. Blackberry is caught in that old world as well. The only fair thing is to compare the latest and greatest offerings from each company. No matter how ancient they may be.

But for now this thread is comparing the features of the Droid X to the Palm Pre.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/11/2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The sad part is that at one time Palm was the one who had a dozen companies developing phones for Palm OS.
    To be more precise, there were a lot of companies building Palm Pda devices. Only Handspring/Palm (Treo), Samsung (SPH/SGH-series), and Kyocera (6035 & 7135) were building actual phones.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast