Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I also guess vzw only advertises "droid" brands because they pay a fee to use that name. There was no advertising push for the moto devour or lg ally.
    not sure why vzw is offering those phones. They will be relegated to the dust pile along with the palms and wm devices...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I also guess vzw only advertises "droid" brands because they pay a fee to use that name. There was no advertising push for the moto devour or lg ally.
    not sure why vzw is offering those phones. They will be relegated to the dust pile along with the palms and wm devices...
    Well I was waiting to meet some business associates and had some time to kill and there was a SAL VZ store on the next block so I decided to go in and conduct a few "tests".

I decided knowing the Anti-Palm behavior of the reps, I would go in looking for the Incredible and see what would happen. First thing is that had ALL dummy models on the floor! I asked if I could test out the phone and they said all they have are the dummy's due to theft. (Somehow Sprint & AT&T manage to control their phone theft??)

Anyway, I start asking about it and the rep "Miguel" states that I "shouldn't get that phone." I ask why not and he says that they have problems with the screens an the performance (!!) He recommended I get the Moto Droid instead!! WTH?? How much are they getting kick back on the Droid that they won't even sell the newest Android phone (which is basically a "baby EVO".

...Unbelievable.
    incredible is also a "droid".
    he probably said that because the incredible is in short supply.

anyone know what will happen to the palm surplus phones on vzw?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    I didn't know, but originally it was LTE for data and they were keeping cdma for voice. Post the link to this info you speak or shall I dig? Verizon has dumped billions into their cdma network, seems hard for me to believe they would dump that.
    Verizon's Officialy Now A GSM Carrier - Well, assuming you don't look at the actual network (yet)... - dslreports.com
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Just wanted to echo the sentiment.

Two of the three sales reps I spoke with at a Verizon retail store actively discouraged me from getting a Palm Pre Plus, which they didn't even have out on display. The first gentleman even had the audacity to suggest that I "must not have done my homework," adding that consumer feedback to the Pre is comparable to the much maligned first-generation Blackberry Storm. Still reeling from this grossly inaccurate hyperbole, I definitely wondered what kind of incentives are in place.
    he obviously is not speaking objectively.
    these reps have done such a poor job.
    if you go to vzw's own website, you will see there are now over 1000 reviews of the pre plus, and it has 4 out of 5 stars.
    cnet and amazon also have 4+ stars.
    so in doing their homework, a customer would likely have seen these ratings. I really hope vzw treats palm better in the future now that hp is in charge.
    First of all, I am posting here rather than creating yet another android thread... I think this is interesting... Apparently the DroidX isn't as friendly to homebrewing as some would think....

Don’t Hack or Mod the Droid X, Unless You Want a Useless Paperweight
    Droid X owners, beware: If you mod or tinker too much with your shiny new phone it could suddenly turn into a useless brick, according to reports surfacing from people who have attempted to hack, root, mod or tinker with the massive smartphone.

In the first place, the device is difficult to hack due to an encrypted bootloader. If you then change or compromise the bootloader, kernels or ROM of the device, it will become completely unusable. The only solution is to take it in to a Verizon store, where you will likely be charged for a fix since you voided the warranty.

The security features focus around a technology called “eFuse,” which is designed to verify you are using the versions of your bootloader, kernels and ROM. If this check fails, the bootloader is permanently corrupted, making your Droid X useless.

You can find a more detailed explanation of how this technology works on the My Droid World forums, but it boils down to this: Motorola doesn’t want you hacking your phone, even though you purchased the device and it’s legally yours.

If you buy a new Droid X phone and intend to hack it, tread lightly. Otherwise, your expensive smartphone might become about as useful as a paperweight.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Arent you glad I didn't start a new thread for this?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    So basically, they designed it like an iPhone?
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Gizmodo sure did dislike it.....Motorola Droid X Review

I'm sure the android lovers here will dismiss this though.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 07/16/2010 at 02:28 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    All I had to do is take a look at the email client for about 10 seconds to realize this device is not for me. google needs to enhance their (non gmail) mail app right away.
    Aren't there multiple free Android email clients you can slap on?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    All I had to do is take a look at the email client for about 10 seconds to realize this device is not for me. google needs to enhance their (non gmail) mail app right away.
    It doesn't matter. It looks great. It says Droooid. And has that cool terminator eye thing going for it. It also has an X in the name. Anything with X in it is cool right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You know you're wasting your time with a platform when you have to go searching for alternate free email clients. Or browsers. Or media players.

Hope HP gets this..
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In an enterprise environment, 3rd party connectivity to internal resources is usually a no-no. It would never pass our security review.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You know you're wasting your time with a platform when you have to go searching for alternate free email clients. Or browsers. Or media players.

Hope HP gets this..
    I don't. I never use anything but Gmail, the HTC Sense media player works just fine, and the browser as of 2.1 is pretty nice. But having options is great.

Our main house desktop is a WinXP machine that's about 3-4 years old. I just installed RainMeter and the Omino UI, and it's like having a new machine in a lot of ways. Having options isn't a waste of time to me. It's fun.

I feel like I'm wasting my time by being forced to stay with one UI, or ONE browser (God knows I could've used another one during the iPhone 2.x days when Safari was random crash-prone), and so on and so forth.

But I think our respective tastes are well-known which is why you and Moby are consistent iPhone owners, and I barely touch my iPod Touch and have little desire to get an iPhone even if it was on Sprint.
    My finance's Droid X is supposed to be arriving today, I will check it out this weekend and let you guys know what I think.

I tried very hard to get her on a web-os phone, but she didn't like the Pixi +, and hated the keyboard on my pre+. She did like Web-os but did not like the hardware.

The Droid X is using Motorola's new user interface, it will be interesting to see if it is better then the stock or sense ui.
    Third party apps are cool to me.

Speaking of 3rd party media players, Meridian allows editing of ID3 tags right on the phone. I haven't seen this with Apple.

The built-in Android webkit browser seems fine to me, but Skyfire and Opera Mini are also pretty good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have to admit, the Samsung Vibrant is a nice device. It has now replaced the nexus 1 as my favorite Android device. Still needs a far better email client, and I would miss a lot of my iPhone apps, but I really like the extra screen real estate.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast