Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1.    #1  
    When it seems like everyday a new Android phone is being released. I've been with palm since the original palm pilot, but watching the wave of development for Android and the silence from HP/Palm has me on the fence.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  2. #2  
    Same here and the Pre + is my first Palm phone.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    When it seems like everyday a new Android phone is being released. I've been with palm since the original palm pilot, but watching the wave of development for Android and the silence from HP/Palm has me on the fence.
    Be careful!

    clutch1222 and his warriors will come and be off with your head!

    I understand where you are coming from. I'm guessing that integrating Palm with HP is taking it's toll on development and product announcements.
  4. #4  
    On the fence? Why? Do you need a new phone soon? Technology loyalty is misguided. Palm doesn't owe you anything. If you want to switch to a new OS and phone go ahead.

    Corporate mergers take time and during that integration etc things are generally quite, especially in the tech industry with short product life-cycles. HP/Palm will makes announcements eventually....if you can wait great, if not move on and appease your frustration.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5. #5  
    just get the phone you want and like...theres no need for loyalty in this game...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    On the fence? Why? Do you need a new phone soon? Technology loyalty is misguided. Palm doesn't owe you anything. If you want to switch to a new OS and phone go ahead.

    Corporate mergers take time and during that integration etc things are generally quite, especially in the tech industry with short product life-cycles. HP/Palm will makes announcements eventually....if you can wait great, if not move on and appease your frustration.
    Don't think it's about needing a new device anymore. We need signs of life on the smartphone front...period. You say things take time, but HP has already trademarked a possible name and leaked a target date for when the WebOS slate is going to be released. You know why? Because that is their priority.

    On the other, quieter side of town, people who like Palm smartphones are being hung out to dry. And as dry things do, they eventually wither away and blow elsewhere with the prevailing winds. It's not a matter of being wishy-washy, but rather wanting to be on a healthy platform with plenty of activity and innovation.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't think it's about needing a new device anymore. We need signs of life on the smartphone front...period. You say things take time, but HP has already trademarked a possible name and leaked a target date for when the WebOS slate is going to be released. You know why? Because that is their priority.

    On the other, quieter side of town, people who like Palm smartphones are being hung out to dry. And as dry things do, they eventually wither away and blow elsewhere with the prevailing winds. It's not a matter of being wishy-washy, but rather wanting to be on a healthy platform with plenty of activity and innovation.
    What's a bit bizarre is that Sprint still comprises most of Palm's base. And merger or not, one still has to question why Sprint didn't get the Plus.

    It's just a phone though. Palm doesn't owe their users anything. No need for loyalty from its users. :P
  8. #8  
    Was the same way . I have been there since the Palm Pilot. My first cell phone was the Handspring Visor attachment for the Visor Prism. But then I realized that loyalty to a cell phone maker is ridiculous. And there were so many better phones out there so I jumped ship to a Android and love it. But again no loyalty . If in a year or two there is a new WEBOS phone and its actually a good phone this time I will jump back if its what I want.

    Get the phone that best fits what you need it to do and dont worry about who makes it. If you think its a Pre then thats it for you. If you think its a Iphone then thats what you get. very simple.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    When it seems like everyday a new Android phone is being released. I've been with palm since the original palm pilot, but watching the wave of development for Android and the silence from HP/Palm has me on the fence.
    Listen to this interview with Rahul Sood last week from WebOSroundup site. Last Q/A session of the recording is something you wanna listen to, they might announce something about webOS on the 19th(earnings report) which is in next 8 days. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by darkzone; 08/11/2010 at 12:41 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    When it seems like everyday a new Android phone is being released. I've been with palm since the original palm pilot, but watching the wave of development for Android and the silence from HP/Palm has me on the fence.
    You know, I'm really upset with the Sanibel Steakhouse. All they serve is steak. It's a great steak, to be honest - probably the best I've ever had.

    But Burger King down the street has come out with the Bacon Deluxe burger, the Rodeo Wild burger, the Onion and Guacamole burger...and probably a lot more than I've missed!

    Who cares if they taste like flavored cardboard and are the culinary equivalent of sawdust - I WANT CHOICES! CHOICES CHOICES CHOICES! Crappy choices, but choices nonetheless!

    And the Sanibel Steakhouse is stuck with the same old steak that I had over a year ago - succulent, tender, and juicy. They need to get into the hamburger market if they're going to keep my business.


    *********************
    (Carefully extract tongue from cheek and anticipate mythical Norse beasts)
  11. #11  
    OP, why were you "loyal" to Palm in the first place?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't think it's about needing a new device anymore. We need signs of life on the smartphone front...period. You say things take time, but HP has already trademarked a possible name and leaked a target date for when the WebOS slate is going to be released. You know why? Because that is their priority.

    On the other, quieter side of town, people who like Palm smartphones are being hung out to dry. And as dry things do, they eventually wither away and blow elsewhere with the prevailing winds. It's not a matter of being wishy-washy, but rather wanting to be on a healthy platform with plenty of activity and innovation.
    I say bull. HP never had a WebOS slate, so the "name" is news. They have a WebOS phone. They've mentioned smartphones almost since they first started talking about the takeover.

    Bottom line is, those that want to read something into the information that's out there, will read whatever they want to read into it.
  13. #13  
    I have tried to stay away from threads like this, but, at this point, Id like to humbly interject the following thoughts and suggestions:

    No single smartphone will hold anyone for a long period of time, ESPECIALLY now that we are just seeing a huge growth in the capabilities, both funcitionally and processing/speed-wise, in new devices that are being introduced.

    A few short years ago, the choices were standard phones, an iPhone, a Treo, Centro or Sidekick, and that was pretty much it.

    Nowadays, with the iPhone, all of Android's offerings (including the Droid line), HTC's other offerings, Nokias offerings, Samsungs offerings, and the Pre/Pixie options.. there are SO many devices to choose from, with more coming, as the processing power improves, battery life increases, display quality increases in size and resolution and quality, and more and more features, including faster radio band choices.

    So, to the OP, may I suggest that you be honest with yourself.. do you love WebOS so much that you really dont want any other device and will wait 3 months to 6 months for the next device, OR, can you accept the use of another OS and get a good deal on a current state of the art smartphone, and then, in a year or so, re-evaluate that against a Palm smartphone choice that is avaialable?

    Nothing is forever.. no device will last us very long any more.. but, if its the WebOS experience that has you hooked (like me, sadly.. LOL), then you have to wait.. if not, look at some of the current offerings and have at one of them, and dont feel guilty... it may not be WebOS, but, it just might be ok, still, and have the added comforts of some terrific new speed and functionality, too!

    IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  14. #14  
    I'm really sick of the denver broncos. Been a fan since their afl days. Still a fan. But so many cities came out with domed stadiums. Denver built a me-too stadium, but didn't even realize that a dome is the new standard. And lets look at the huge new cowboy stadium . The denver stadium can sit inside if it. And that tiny scoreboard and endzone tv? It wasn't even big enough before, now it's kust tiny in comparison.

    and the uniforms? Denver just hasn't kept up with the modern designs of teams like the patriots. The bronco uniform looks like an antique, especially with those cheap-looking plastic helmets.

    and they haven't added any new plays. Everythng is still boring old offense/defense/kicking. Geeez. Why can't the get voice activated play starting to the ball is given to the quarterback without the center having to touch it. And how about twitter integration on the score board? Ha, it's way to small for that.

    I think I will head over to precentral to whine, and assume everyone there likes it when I do that...

    /sarcasm
    /rant
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I say bull. HP never had a WebOS slate, so the "name" is news. They have a WebOS phone. They've mentioned smartphones almost since they first started talking about the takeover.

    Bottom line is, those that want to read something into the information that's out there, will read whatever they want to read into it.
    I'm not reading into anything. HP has made specific information public regarding their slate/tablet/whatever quite soon after acquisition. Combine that with the PalmPad trademark, and it's clear they are wasting as little time as possible entering into this marketspace.

    They have done nothing of the sort regarding a WebOS smartphone.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not reading into anything. HP has made specific information public regarding their slate/tablet/whatever quite soon after acquisition. Combine that with the PalmPad trademark, and it's clear they are wasting as little time as possible entering into this marketspace.

    They have done nothing of the sort regarding a WebOS smartphone.
    listen to the ENTIRE webosRadio podcast before you say innacurate things like that... Really.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    listen to the ENTIRE webosRadio podcast before you say innacurate things like that... Really.
    ...or you could simply repeat it here verbatim? Seems no one else has listened to the ENTIRE podcast either, because I see stories about the HP WebOS tablet all over the internet and on this site's front page, but nothing of the sort regarding new smartphone hardware.
  18. #18  
    it's an hour and ten minutes lng. If you don't have time to learn, you shouldn't be making up stuff and offering opinions with no basis in fact. Really.

    if you only get your news in summary form from 'internet news' and usa today infographs... You won't read any detailed info I would write from that interview. So, let me summarize it for you as you suggested. The net of it it:

    you are wrong. On all counts, and in every opinion. You are wrong.

    there, that's the summary. Listen to the podcast for the supporting data and details. Then post your interpretation.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    it's an hour and ten minutes lng. If you don't have time to learn, you shouldn't be making up stuff and offering opinions with no basis in fact. Really.

    if you only get your news in summary form from 'internet news' and usa today infographs... You won't read any detailed info I would write from that interview. So, let me summarize it for you as you suggested. The net of it it:

    you are wrong. On all counts, and in every opinion. You are wrong.

    there, that's the summary. Listen to the podcast for the supporting data and details. Then post your interpretation.
    I'm not making anything up. I say they haven't made smartphone announcements. You are apparently saying they have. Ok...what's the announcement?

    Is this really that difficult? Just this Monday, Derek on the front page posted an extended rant that also bemoaned a lack of info. I scanned the comments and didn't see you correcting him. Curious.

    Sounds like a whole lot of people need this info you know of. Please share.
  20. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    When it seems like everyday a new Android phone is being released. I've been with palm since the original palm pilot, but watching the wave of development for Android and the silence from HP/Palm has me on the fence.
    Yes, my resistance to switch has been tested many times.
    I've been trying to hold myself over with webOS patches, but I'm beginning to feel "pimping my pre" is getting old.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions