Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    There will be new Palm phones by holiday season if you can wait that long...and for that matter I imagine there'll be other/better Android phones than the Epic pushed out for the holiday buying season as well.
    Cool. Who's your inside source? I find that difficult to believe considering the only thing HP/Palm has talked about since the merger is tablets and they've even gone as far to say those wouldn't be coming until 2011.
    There's a big difference between "There WILL be a new Palm phone" and "I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new Palm phone".

I wouldn't be surprised either, nor would I be surprised if there wasn't another one until 2011 at some point. I am fine with waiting to see what's coming too, but I am waiting on CERTAINTIES like a new Sprint WP7 device or the Epic. There's no point in waiting for vapourware with unknown specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ....nor would I be surprised if there wasn't another one until 2011 at some point.....
    That's always a possibility as we have carrier approvals and last minute bugs that can thwart those efforts. The target is holiday season, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Cool. Who's your inside source? I find that difficult to believe considering the only thing HP/Palm has talked about since the merger is tablets and they've even gone as far to say those wouldn't be coming until 2011.
    Obviously I can't say who my source is ...and they've admitted to purposely NOT telling me other specifics (which is a whole lots more than I know already). I was surprised that a Q1 2011 target was announced since Palm has done a good job against leaks.....and HP does not leak products either. Its sort of a double firewall and going to be hard to get gadget blog leaks of new products.
    Obviously I can't say who my source is ...and they've admitted to purposely NOT telling me other specifics (which is a whole lots more than I know already). I was surprised that a Q1 2011 target was announced since Palm has done a good job against leaks.....and HP does not leak products either. Its sort of a double firewall and going to be hard to get gadget blog leaks of new products.
    But you do have the FCC postings that I believe Engadget uses.

Once it's in there, it's leaked!

Unless, they force the FCC to a NDA.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

My question is particularly regarding this:
    Palm has done a good job against leaks.....
    Why?
    What's Palm's reasoning here?
    What's the advantage of keeping loyal Palm users in the dark? - is it so they give up waiting, and go get a Droid or an iPhone?

How's that working out for them?
    Epic 4G has been reviewed by Engadget:
    Epic 4G review -- Engadget

And to those keeping track, the Evo is still the best rated Android device on Engadget:

(also note of course, the Palm Pre got a 9 when it first released as well just to give people a reference point...but the landscape is obviously different today so its safe to say a 2010 9 holds more weight than a 2009 9.)
    Well i thought at this point it goes without saying take each review and decide what features you find you want the most and go with them.

However, i've always enjoyed Chris Zieglers and Joshua Topolosky's reviews on phones so in general I look at them for my first review.

All the benefits you talked about in your post are things i don't' care about. The only game i play on my Pre is Let's Golf..and thats once a month...i own other games, but i don't' ever want to play them....and luckily, Let's Golf works just fine on the Evo.

But even with that said, haven't' full decided which one i want. But i much prefer the physical shape/design of the Evo to the Epic. Plus $50 cheaper.
    Here is CNET's break down though (feel free to add review links).

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) Cell Phone reviews - CNET Reviews

and the Evo:
    HTC Evo 4G - black (Sprint) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Again, it honestly looks like the two best android phones and both are on Sprint. Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    But you do have the FCC postings that I believe Engadget uses.

Once it's in there, it's leaked!

Unless, they force the FCC to a NDA.

Rob
    All of the advanced smartphone releases have been under FCC requested NDA or filled under a proxy name. No different here either I assume.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    My question is particularly regarding this:

Why?
    What's Palm's reasoning here?
    What's the advantage of keeping loyal Palm users in the dark? - is it so they give up waiting, and go get a Droid or an iPhone?

How's that working out for them?
    Might also come down to carrier requests that no information on devices/timing be discussed. There are probably many other reasons too that we don't know about, I'm sure.
  12.    #172  
    Since this is a Cross-Platform Chat Samsung Epic 4G vs. Palm Pre thread, I am merging it with the existing thread.

As to whether you will get 4G in your area...

Sensorly is an Android app that shows carrier coverage maps as found by users on real phones all over the world (42 carriers). See their website:

Sensorly 4G Map

The online map is low-def but shows that there are a number of 4G markets already online that are not announced.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/16/2010 at 11:25 PM.
    I'm surely not one to say 'Palm had better... Or I'm gonna.....
    But to say there is a device, Palm is just being so good about keeping leaks stopped up doesn't give me enough.

That's just me.
    Just call me Berd.
    I love my Pre but I'm getting the Epic. Mainly because I dropped my Pre in water a week and a half ago and it isn't working right since. The phone thinks it's always in battery charging mode and drains 5x the rate it used to. I tried a different battery and got the same results.

To me, an additional $150 (after factoring in deductible for insurance) seems like the Epic would be the smarter move. I love WebOS and will be back to it but with no phone on the immediate horizon, sprints offer to upgrade devices after 1 year, and no guarantee that the next webOS phone will even debut on Sprint or be available on Sprint quickly makes me choose the Epic. By the time a new webOS device comes out and I'm available to for an upgrade it shouldn't be more than a few months. And even if it is I'm sure I can wait it out.
    I have an Epic reserved for the 31st, all it would take is Palm saying we have a new phone coming before the end of the year and I would wait. I had an Evo for 3 weeks and enjoyed using my first android device but wanted the qwerty. So I took it back to get the Epic. I figure I will get the next webos device with my upgrade next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
    I have an Epic reserved for the 31st, all it would take is Palm saying we have a new phone coming before the end of the year and I would wait. I had an Evo for 3 weeks and enjoyed using my first android device but wanted the qwerty. So I took it back to get the Epic. I figure I will get the next webos device with my upgrade next year.
    Palm is coming out with several devices before the end of the year...contingent upon upon carrier approvals.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Palm is coming out with several devices before the end of the year...contingent upon upon carrier approvals.
    The least Palm could DO is leak something because there are lots of customers jumping ship. Especially those that are eligible for upgrades like me. I am thinking about get the Epic and my Wife really hates the Pre so might have to get her one too.
    Last edited by jamex; 08/19/2010 at 11:55 AM.
    The Epic 4G looks like a great phone. My wife has already pre ordered one through Best Buy. The salesman at BB let us play with one of the other Samsung phones and the screen is just great. Good color and detail. The UI is snappy and my wife likes how the icons look. I definitely have some jealousy going on. The Pre at this point isn’t even in the same league as these new phones. I tried talking my wife into a Pre, no luck. Im sticking with my Pre for now, hoping for a beast phone soon. Something like the Epic with Web OS would kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    not worth $250 I'm not cheap but samsung doesn't make phones worth of that price. The evo is still better.
    The EVO may be better on some levels, but if you compare Samsung's screen next to the HTC screen, it's not even close. The Samsung is just beautiful. Plus good luck finding a EVO. People will probably pay the fifty dollars, just so they are not waiting a month. My wife has actualy Ordered both and we are going to make up our mind when the first one arives. HTC has seriously dropped the ball on there supply lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    The EVO may be better on some levels, but if you compare Samsung's screen next to the HTC screen, it's not even close. The Samsung is just beautiful. Plus good luck finding a EVO. People will probably pay the fifty dollars, just so they are not waiting a month. My wife has actualy Ordered both and we are going to make up our mind when the first one arives. HTC has seriously dropped the ball on there supply lines.
    It's going to be the same problem with the Epic at first, too. I'm kinda wary about buying any new phone on Sprint until supplies settle down.
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast