Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    So it looks like about another 2 weeks before this baby hits store shelves. It'll be interesting to see if Samsung can put out a nice phone with superior build quality to what there used to.
    if there is no announcement from palm by the time the epic gets froyo, then I'm going to have to retire my pre. Even at 1GHz, it's still too laggy for me.
    I'm getting worried about it's bulk because of the slider. I hope it's not too bad.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I'm getting worried about it's bulk because of the slider. I hope it's not too bad.
    You judge:

Compared to the Evo:

The Pre is: 16.95 mm thick

The Epic: 14 mm
    What ever Samsung it puts out it couldn't be any worst than the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    What ever Samsung it puts out it couldn't be any worst than the Pre!
    The Instinct comes to mind, I really hope they learned there lesson on that one.
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    But there is no comparison between a real keyboard and a virtual keyboard. In many ways, the Epic is what we dreamed a Pre 2 might be.

I like my Pre's keyboard and I like how much better my EVO fits in my pocket but wish the EVO had a real keyboard. I can type on the Pre without even looking.

An EVO with a real keyboard would be Epic!

- Craig
    word on the android forums is that the epic is coming out 08/21 and the announcement from sprint is imminent.
  9.    #129  
    Correction:

Even the Epic with a real keyboard is only slightly bigger than a Pre.

Pre screen: 3.2", volume: the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

Epic screen: 4", volume: 2.54 x 4.9 x 0.56 = 6.97 cubic inches .

Check it out.

- Craig
  10.    #130  
    A number of Samsung Epic threads have been merged.

See the new opening post for many details and links.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/11/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    a nice looking phone. i prefer the horizotal sliders actually. it allows for bigger keys
  12.    #132  
    When the keyboard is open it is almost the size of a tablet...
    Milo,

I am not certain if you have "handled" one of these (or similar) but, w/ the virtual keyboard...how would one hand typing be? Is it too big for that? I assume the slider makes that impossible.

Would the 'speech to text input' work well enough to compensate (if it is cumbersome)?

Just wondering. One advantage of the smaller Pre is the ease of use w/ one hand.
    One handing typing on Swype is def. faster than a hardware keyboard IMO.

Actually watch THIS swype video:
    That's pretty awesome. And, enlightening.

However, what I specifically refer to is the SIZE of the handset. I have been one to not like the huge phones. But, i acknowledge that most are going to that large size. Thus, I am wondering about how cumbersome it may be to hold an EVO or Epic sized unit in one hand and type / input text into a field.

I assume the next webOS device will be of similar size.
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    One handing typing on Swype is def. faster than a hardware keyboard IMO.

Swype is amazing to use one-handed. I will add that to the merged Opening Post:

- - Swype - type by sliding a finger around. Sets Guinness Record - More.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/11/2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    That's pretty awesome. And, enlightening.

However, what I specifically refer to is the SIZE of the handset. I have been one to not like the huge phones. But, i acknowledge that most are going to that large size. Thus, I am wondering about how cumbersome it may be to hold an EVO or Epic sized unit in one hand and type / input text into a field.

I assume the next webOS device will be of similar size.
    Ahh...well i've typed one handed with an Evo and i was fine....i prob. have medium to large hands. The "hard" part of a large screen is reaching the upper edge of the screen without changing hand positions (if you are doing all this one handed).

But even then, its still possible. But really, you need to just own a large screen phone for a week or so to see how you feel with it. Its certainly not for everyone, and some people will swear up and down 3.7" is the biggest they go...but thats why android has so many ******* devices to fill the gap for any phone you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Correction:

Even the Epic with a real keyboard is only slightly bigger than a Pre.

Pre screen: 3.2", volume: the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

Epic screen: 4", volume: 2.54 x 4.9 x 0.56 = 6.97 cubic inches .

Check it out.

- Craig
    Perhaps by cubic inches. But the EPIC is certainly a larger form factor.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Epic is gonna be a big phone, I'd say a little thicker than my old Touch Pro 1, it's gonna be much thicker than the EVO by a mile.
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast