Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    I might pick this up at launch. Still getting the next webOS phone but I need an Android phone for research. If I don't like the size I might go with the Evo, who knows...
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Really? That's annoying. I was hoping that with the smaller screen, the Epic would be a smaller phone, but it's actually a tiny big wider and the same length. With the keyboard, I did figure it would be thicker, but ehhh, that diminishes the phone a bit for me.
    Ditto! I was seriously considering picking up the Epic and its beautiful screen but was a bit shocked when I saw it was the same size as the EVO. I'm in the market for a smartphone not a boat anchor.
    The super AMOLED screen seems really nice and the Humingbird processor is no slouch either but it is a Samsung so I'll try to reserve judgement until I see some reviews.

If I had to pick between the Evo and Epic I'd go for the Evo due to the slightly bigger screen and because HTC seems to have a better track record as far as QC goes.
    Evo or Epic... I'd wait a few more days for epic reviews to come in.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Its the software that makes the difference...
    and sadly webOS isn't giving us the software we want. Bad GoogleMaps app, basic youtube player, no great GoogleVoice app, no Audible, Kindle, Slingbox....on and on and on.
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Bad link~
    Sorry. Fixed below!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here is a detailed, side-by-side comparison of the Palm Pre, HTC EVO, and Samsung Epic.

In particular, note the screen size and volume each takes up in your pocket (height x width x thickness):

Pre screen: 3.2", volume: the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

Correction:
    Epic screen: 4", volume: 2.54 x 4.9 x 0.56 = 6.97 cubic inches .

As a comparison...

EVO Screen: 4.3", volume: 2.6 x 4.8 x 0.5 = 6.2 cubic inches.

Droid X screen: 4.3", volume: 5.2 cubic inches.

- Craig

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2010 at 10:54 AM.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by pnitsuj View Post
    Ditto! I was seriously considering picking up the Epic and its beautiful screen but was a bit shocked when I saw it was the same size as the EVO. I'm in the market for a smartphone not a boat anchor.
    I have the EVO and the Pre.

The 4.3" EVO is 6.2 cubic inches. The 3.2" Pre is 6.4 cubic inches. The 4.3" EVO literally takes up less space than a 3.2" Pre.

A bigger issue is that the Pre is thick. You can really feel the difference the first time you put them in your pockets.

I love my Pre but it is the big phone, not the EVO.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2010 at 04:36 PM.
  8.    #108  
    A year ago we dreamed of a Pre 2 that might have twice as many pixels as a Pre...

But the bigger issues for me is how those pixels are used.

If I am surfing the web with my Pre, I invariably have to zoom in to be able to read the text. Then it is like looking at the website through a periscope, looking left, right, then back left...over and over again.

When you surf the web with an Android phone and zoom, in the text is reformatted to flow through a narrower space just like on your PC. No more panning left and right.

The EVO also has a SD memory card, HDMI output to your TV, front and back cameras, and 100,000 apps including every good app from the iPhone. It is what some wished that a Pre 2 might have been.

If you also wished for a physical keyboard, that would be Epic.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Yes, the Pre is thicker and thus bigger based on the volume, but that's sidestepping the issue most people have, and that's how the length and width of the Evo/Epic will translate into actual use (the thickness/curvature of the Pre actually leading to more comfortable two thumb typing than on a slab like the Evo and the iPod touch I had, in my experience). A Sprint tech let me check out his Evo and it's definitely slightly more unwieldy than the Pre. It's probably something you could get used to and I wouldn't mind a bigger screen (3.7 to 4.0 max), but to be perfectly honest, I am hoping that in this race to create the next best god mode smartphone that manufactures consider the entirety of their userbase and not just the ham-fisted guys (or dumbing down and cutesifying the tech in an inferior and not as useful product).

The 4.3" EVO is 6.4 cubic inches. The 3.2" Pre is 6.2 cubic inches. The 4.3" EVO literally takes up less space than a 3.2" Pre.

A bigger issue is that the Pre is thick. You can really feel the difference the first time you put them in your pockets.

- Craig
    You might want to look at your results again. The Evo is the bigger phone, period.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    The evo is a taller-wider phone, the Pre is a thicker phone.

Depends what you're measuring. Depth takes up my room in my pants pockets personally. Esp. my work pants.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You might want to look at your results again. The EVO is the bigger phone, period.
    To me tall and slender feels smaller than short and chubby even if they were the same size.

Have you tried having the EVO in your pocket for a while? That is subjective.

But help me with the math...

EVO Screen: 4.3", volume: The EVO is 2.6 x 4.8 x 0.5 = 6.2 cubic inches.

The 6.4 cubic inch Pre is bigger than the 6.2 cubic inch EVO, right?

So the EVO is taller. The Pre is fatter. But overall the Pre is bigger than an EVO. How can 6.2 be bigger than 6.4 cubic inches?

- Craig

If you want a really small phone consider the 4.3" Droid X at 5.2 cubic inches.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2010 at 03:35 PM.
    what pants do people on this forum own?

The Pre is a chubby phone that is easily visable in ones front pocket...vs. a thinner phone. If your pockets are too small to hold the phone completely, then yeah get a short phone, but people act like its INCREDIBLY INCONVENIENT!

Meanwhile the dell streak somehow fits almost perfect in a pocket:

And then look at the size difference:

(yes i know thats the HD2...too lazy to find a proper Evo pic, but they are pretty much the same size).

The 4.3" EVO is 6.4 cubic inches. The 3.2" Pre is 6.2 cubic inches. The 4.3" EVO literally takes up less space than a 3.2" Pre.

- Craig
    To me tall and slender feels smaller than short and chubby even if they were the same size.

Have you tried having the EVO in your pocket for a while? That is subjective.

But help me with the math...

The 6.4 cubic inch Pre is bigger than the 6.2 cubic inch EVO, right?

So the EVO is taller. The Pre is fatter. But overall the Pre is bigger than an EVO. How can 6.2 be bigger than 6.4 cubic inches?

- Craig

If you want a really small phone consider the 4.3" Droid X at 5.2 cubic inches.
    I was going off your original post where you said the Evo was 6.4 and the Pre was 6.2 cubic inches. Which one is correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The evo is a taller-wider phone, the Pre is a thicker phone.

Depends what you're measuring. Depth takes up my room in my pants pockets personally. Esp. my work pants.
    eewww... What's your job that requires tight pants? Lol

jk
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Are you really trying to say the Pre is the bigger phone based on cubic inches? lmao. I had the Evo for a bit and it is big. I can have the Pre in my shirt pocket comfortably without issues and it also fits comfortable in the pocket. Try putting an Evo in your shirt pocket and see how that works and it is bulky in yout pants pocket especially if you are sitting down.
    I don't put calculators, pocket protectors, or phones in my shirt pocket so I don't know about that. My work shirts are dress shirts that don't have pockets.

The objective facts are that:
    • The EVO is taller.
    • The Pre is chubbier.
    • Overall the Pre has a slightly bigger volume.

Which will feel better in your pocket is subjective. It's like trying on shoes. Walk around a while with both and see how they feel to you. Just because the EVO has a smaller overall size (volume) does not mean that it will feel better in your pocket.

But pocket fit is just one factor. Also consider screen size, pixels, SD Card, camera resolution, video conferencing, and which of the the 100,000 apps you will really use. If you want a physical keyboard, compare the Epic. If you want even smaller, consider the 4.3" Droid X at 5.2 cubic inches.

We can look at objective numbers but in the end it comes down to what you feel is best for you.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2010 at 04:51 PM.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I was going off your original post where you said the Evo was 6.4 and the Pre was 6.2 cubic inches. Which one is correct?
    Sorry that was a typo I just fixed. Also the Pre is 3.1" not 3.2" as I listed.

The dimensional numbers are:

Pre screen: 3.1", volume: the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    eewww... What's your job that requires tight pants? Lol

jk
    Depends how excited i am. hiyooooo
    Can you guys go and fight about the Evo and Pre size thing somewhere else? This thread is for the Epic so please stay on topic or move to a different thread.
  20.    #120  
    To sum up...

If you want a physical keyboard consider the Epic, if not consider the EVO or X. The Epic is not that much bigger than a Pre but has a big screen.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2010 at 06:02 PM.