Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    To answer your question, no... I wont be switching to another phone... I dont need a new one every year, and I dont understand it when people say they feel dated or are tired of waiting for a new release. If they love their phone so much, why is it they feel they need to have a new one so often? I am already eligible for an upgrade, but I will use my pre till it falls apart or it comes time for my contract to fully expire and I re-evaluate my carrier options.
    Why keep looking at newer phones? Tech geeks love those newer specs. I'm always looking at the next line of phones too. I can't always afford them though.

Most normal consumers likely do wait the full 2 years before getting another phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by v7z730ib View Post
    That's also true. Since we all know they're just throwing phones at carries every week, lol . But it's a 4Gphone, so I don't really think they're 2nd 4G phone isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but you never know. Which phone are you switching too?
    Do you mean which phone am I going to switch from? If that's the case I have a Samsung Moment. But if nothing else comes out by my update I will probably go to the Samsung Epic 4g.
    Always looking at the next and best phone. Everyone I know gets a new phone as soon as they are allowed to. Most a year or so. So far I have gotten a new one every year for the last few years.
    Palm Pre advacate for life... Iphone/Android...you figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why keep looking at newer phones? Tech geeks love those newer specs. I'm always looking at the next line of phones too. I can't always afford them though.

Most normal consumers likely do wait the full 2 years before getting another phone.
    I constantly look at new phones... im an ubergeek... I work on robots for a living. BUT... theres such a thing as having a little self control. I simply dont understand how it can be such an emergency to switch phones... when you want to stick with one os or some such, as many people who are saying they do... why then does it become such an emotional drain to sit around obsessing and waiting for the new hardware until you feel like you have to jump ship? Those two things are at complete odds.

I also realize I seem to be a minority... no big deal. I like webOS... dont want a different os for my phone, and so will wait. Ive tried android, the iphone, windows mobile... they dont impress me. Why spend the extra money on hardware? Its the software that makes the difference...

Yea, someone who understands how I feel, lol . I've ben saving up money. Plus I qualify for a rebate, lol . It's not a necessity, but I have the money saved up, and I qualify for a rebate, so why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Do you mean which phone am I going to switch from? If that's the case I have a Samsung Moment. But if nothing else comes out by my update I will probably go to the Samsung Epic 4g.
    Yay, now I don't feel so lonely in switching, lol .
    I'm waiting for a Sprint iPhone. :P
    I heard a review. It said Samsung has a reputation for not updating their skins. That means the phones get stuck at incremental OS update vers. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

I didn't research the claim though. Reviewers say all kinds of untrue stuff abou Palm phones so take it with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    I heard a review. It said Samsung has a reputation for not updating their skins. That means the phones get stuck at incremental OS update vers. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

I didn't research the claim though. Reviewers say all kinds of untrue stuff abou Palm phones so take it with a grain of salt.
    OTA updates are definitely not an industry standard...
    I'm really considering switching from my Pre to the Epic 4G but I'm not 100% sold just yet. I want to check out how the phone runs with Samsung's TouchWiz skin on top of Android before I make any final decisions, and honestly I am more interested in being able to run straight Froyo 2.2 on the phone once it gets rooted but we will see how that goes.

On the other hand, if a new HPalm phone gets announced sometime in August then I might be persuaded to stay depending on the specs. But then again who knows, I'm and huge geek when it comes to phones (I went from a Pre to a Tour to a Pixi and now back to the Pre all since last July) and something else might leak out in the next month that catches my eye so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    I constantly look at new phones... im an ubergeek... I work on robots for a living. BUT... theres such a thing as having a little self control. I simply dont understand how it can be such an emergency to switch phones... when you want to stick with one os or some such, as many people who are saying they do... why then does it become such an emotional drain to sit around obsessing and waiting for the new hardware until you feel like you have to jump ship? Those two things are at complete odds.

I also realize I seem to be a minority... no big deal. I like webOS... dont want a different os for my phone, and so will wait. Ive tried android, the iphone, windows mobile... they dont impress me. Why spend the extra money on hardware? Its the software that makes the difference...

To be honest, it sounds like the Pre hardware has been less than satisfactory for many people. That may have something to do with why so many here want to switch.

And the Pre hardware is getting outdated. This reason is where the tech geek factor comes in, lol.

But I'm going to bet that if the phone was more solid, more people would wait until their 2 years is up. But the other thing is, I think Sprint allows some to upgrade every year. So since Palm hasn't released anything and there's no real sign they will any time soon, people are impatient.

P.S. Self-control also means nothing when you have the money to spend.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post

Didn't they promise 2.2 for their Galaxy line though? They did go back on their word for the Behold II and hopefully they learned from the bad publicity.

Didn't they promise 2.2 for their Galaxy line though? They did go back on their word for the Behold II and hopefully they learned from the bad publicity.
    Yes they did, but they make no promises for Gingerbread. I have the Vibrant (tmobile version of this phone). Nice screen, lots of lag.
    The lag is likely the skin. Root the phone if it's possible, and try the vanilla Android. You can likely even get 2.2 on there now if the Vibrant is rootable.

16.    #96  
    Here is a detailed, side-by-side comparison of the Palm Pre, HTC EVO, and Samsung Epic.

In particular, note the screen size and volume each takes up in your pocket (height x width x thickness):

Pre screen: 3.2", volume: the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

Correction:
    Epic screen: 4", volume: 2.54 x 4.9 x 0.56 = 6.97 cubic inches .

As a comparison...

EVO Screen: 4.3", volume: 2.6 x 4.8 x 0.5 = 6.2 cubic inches.

Droid X screen: 4.3", volume: 5.2 cubic inches.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here is a detailed, side-by-side comparison of the [URL="http://forums.precentral.net/Some of the reason why all of the new successful smartphones are at least 3.5":"]
    - Craig
    Bad link~
    I think samsung will take these to Android 3. Definitely 2.2.
    They have 4 very similar phones which makes it much easier to do so.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here is a detailed, side-by-side comparison of the Palm Pre, HTC EVO, and Samsung Epic.

In particular, note the screen size and volume each takes up in your pocket (height x width x thickness):

Pre screen: 3.2", volume: the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

Epic screen: 4", volume: 2.6 x 4.9 x 0.6 = 8.9 cubic inches .

As a comparison...

EVO Screen: 4.3", volume: 2.6 x 4.8 x 0.5 = 6.2 cubic inches.
    [/URL].

- Craig
    Really? That's annoying. I was hoping that with the smaller screen, the Epic would be a smaller phone, but it's actually a tiny big wider and the same length. With the keyboard, I did figure it would be thicker, but ehhh, that diminishes the phone a bit for me.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast