Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    It's looking mighty tempting.
    There are not many places with 4G speeds, maybe I will have more interest when it comes to my town.
    I updated to Froyo when the semi-official DK28 leaked a few months back. It was buggy as hell. I could se why Sprint rejected it. I was getting random force closes all day long. Very annoying.

So I jumped in and rooted my phone, also switching to a better file system. Turns out the file system Samsung uses is slow, really slow. Changing the file system is a must. I am now using the "Truly Epic" ROM. This thing flies. I am getting quadrant scores in the high 1500s.

The battery seems better too.

This phone rocks. Let's see if Palm can pull me back in a couple weeks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Joining the Android ranks... I got my Epic earlier this week. (By they way, Radio Shack is giving $50 for any trade-in this week, so I traded in my old 755P for the $50 -- and instant rebate as well. Hard to beat that! -- Figured I'd keep my Pre-minus for now just in case, but now will probably be "Ebaying" it.)

I have to say, I feel like I've been SO misinformed about the "dis"advantages of Android, or "advantages" of WebOS. The features, methods, apps, etc. are SO much better than my Pre. I thought I'd miss the card "elegance", but after using Android (apps stay active --just hold the home key to switch, etc., etc.) I truly like it a LOT better. This Epic and Android has significantly more capabilities without even having to root, etc. I for one don't think I'll be coming back to WebOS -- HP has officially lost me as a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post
    Joining the Android ranks... I got my Epic earlier this week. (By they way, Radio Shack is giving $50 for any trade-in this week, so I traded in my old 755P for the $50 -- and instant rebate as well. Hard to beat that! -- Figured I'd keep my Pre-minus for now just in case, but now will probably be "Ebaying" it.)

I have to say, I feel like I've been SO misinformed about the "dis"advantages of Android, or "advantages" of WebOS. The features, methods, apps, etc. are SO much better than my Pre. I thought I'd miss the card "elegance", but after using Android (apps stay active --just hold the home key to switch, etc., etc.) I truly like it a LOT better. This Epic and Android has significantly more capabilities without even having to root, etc. I for one don't think I'll be coming back to WebOS -- HP has officially lost me as a customer.
    This happens a lot, when people have only read about Android on here. Many misunderstand how it works.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    A lot of the concerns on android were handled with 2.1 IMO.

I'll admit, i wouldn't touch android prior to 2.1.
    Welcome. And you joined just in time since the Epic will get it's loooong overdue Froyo update next week.

And you don't have to root, but it is fun especialy when you see what the devs can do in streamlining and upping the lvel of performance even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post

One more pre owner gone...

We bought three Pre's on launch day...and can now upgrade...and my daughter could not wait any longer for some future palm device on Sprint. She stated that she wanted one of the higher end Android units available from Sprint...and did enough research about feature comparisons that I decided to support her decision.

We went with the Epic...and I spent a couple of hours with it tonight...and I will say wow. I am VERY impressed. Parts of it lacked the elegance and simplicity of WebOS, but it more than makes up for it with sheer function...and an amazing screen.

My wife is (or perhaps was) a diehard WebOS zealot...but she was also visibly impressed with this phone...and she and I may end up jumping before too long as well. HP has really screwed this beyond belief. I can't believe that two years after launch day I can't buy a follow-on device from Sprint. Oh well, probably for the best...sad to say (as a Palm user for the last 12 or so years).

BTW, I haven't read this thread, but I noticed the previous post...so I'll add this - it shipped with 2.2 (Froyo)...and they have already announced that they will provide a fast upgrade to 2.3 (Gingerbread).

cheers,
    Scuba
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 04/28/2011 at 12:32 PM.
    and official Gingerbread should be here in just a few weeks. 2 major updates isn't too shabby. Better than my Pre which hasn't left my nightstand in months. The original beta phone and Sprint owners get no love with 2.0. Get thrown no bone. Can't even use my Pixi as a wifi device.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Samsung phone skin covers are always important for the user to make their cell phone refresh and scratch less. Different types of Samsung phone skin covers are available in market, you just need to choose best one.
    Hi all,

Sad to say I will be more than likely be getting the Epic as well!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    You held out too long Jay, and missed the webOS bus. ;-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You held out too long Jay, and missed the webOS bus. ;-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Hi all,

That's what I get for waiting for the Pre3.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223