Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    Testing now actually...from going to the restart option in my phone (custom ROM) to lock screen:
    1:30

From off to lock screen:
    :55
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I have an Evo but i'm sure the Epic is similar. I can restart my phone generally in less than 1 minute.

My Pre hit 5 minutes after all my patches.

5...minutes...
    I'm envious. My Pre (minus) often takes 7-8 minutes to restart.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I got my first taste of WiMax today at work. I have been checking daily since it is launching here at the end of the month. With 1 bar I got 5mbps/1mbps and then with 2 bars I got 7mbps/1mbps. Me like.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Just did a wimax test....its faster than my time warner cable most of the time.

I have 50mbps DOCSIS 3 cable, so I will have to wait for WiMax2 in order for it to be faster than my home broadband.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Wow I like so how can I get this on my epic.
    even the backround looks like it was from webos.
    I got an Epic for Christmas and I must say the Android culture shock is big! The phone itself has exceptional hardware, but using Android can be somewhat disorienting when you're used to webOS.

One of the first things I did when I got my Pre: register for Pre Central. One of the first things I did with my Epic: register for Android Central. Here's how both processes compare (I had already configured my email in both devices by this point):

On Pre:

1. Went to Pre Central site and registered.
    2. Did the card view gesture to keep the browser open and went to email app to find confirmation email.
    3. Fumbled a bit for about a minute, figuring out how to select and then copy the temporary password to the clipboard.
    4. Did the card view gesture to return to the browser card and wrote my username into the login field and pasted the password.
    5. Done! The process was quick and took me about 4 minutes total as I was still unfamiliar with the Pre. I was able to do the whole process in a portrait orientation.

On Epic 4G:

1. Went to the Android Central site and registered.
    2. Pressed the Home button and tapped on the email app, located confirmation email.
    3. Found no way to copy the temporary password to the clipboard in portrait orientation. Switched to landscape orientation to open the keyboard to see if the keys would help - I immediately noticed that switching orientation does not provide an animation for it (maybe something Froyo will do, since Epic still has 2.1).
    4. Holding the Shift key in the keyboard down (btw, I love the huge keyboard on the Epic, though I've seen some folks don't care for it), I noticed a mouse cursor pops up. I tried using that to select text, but no matter where I tapped, most of the time I ended up selecting everything BUT the temporary password. Interesting thing to note: doing just the selection, the text gets copied to the clipboard; there's no separate command to do a copy.
    5. About three minutes later I finally got the password into the clipboard.
    6. I did a long press on the Home button to bring up the task manager and switched to the browser.
    7. I put in my user name and pasted my password and got fully registered. Whole process took me about 10 minutes, which is a little more than twice the amount of time it took on the Pre. Another interesting point: when done on the Pre, when I went back to the email app, it was in exactly the same message I left it. When I switched back to the email app in the Epic, it took me back to the main app screen rather than the message I was in.

I guess that experience pretty much sums up how I feel about Android (at least 2.1) so far: It gets the job done, but in twice the time! Seriously, I find it interesting how the Epic has much better hardware than the Pre, but the OS seems to hold it back. Of course, having said all that, I think the Epic is more pleasant to use than the Pre simply because it reacts to my input; the funny thing is that I think I can do things faster on the Pre though!

It's quite common that I tap somewhere on the screen in the Pre and the phone takes a moment to react to that tap. There came a point when I just got used to that delay and don't think twice of it. On the Epic, even if I need to tap more times to get somewhere than on the Pre, the response is so fast, that the experience of using the Epic is more pleasant on that sense. Maybe I had to tap 2 or 3 times to get to a setting I can find with one tap on the Pre, but the Pre takes so long to respond to that tap by comparison that it's just annoying.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I believe webOS is way ahead of Android in the user experience department. However, the Android devices on the market right now have some seriously compelling hardware and Palm has no reaction to that yet. It's also a bonus that Android has so many apps for it. Every time I get annoyed at the lack of a gesture or at the crazy way Android manages apps and "multi-tasks," I just fire up apps that I can't even dream of getting on my Pre yet, such as Audible (yes, I do have an Audible account and I really was disappointed that the Pre doesn't support their audio books), Carbonite, or the Kindle app and the frustration eases down. A bit.

Geez Palm, you better get your act together fast so that I can choose a kick *** webOS device on December 2011 when I upgrade again.

As for my old Pre, I'll still use it until I can find a decent time tracking app for my Epic I guess. Clock In is an excellent app and I haven't found one as elegant as that one is within the Android Marketplace. Oh, and it must be said that the webOS Pandora app is far superior to the iOS and Android versions. I didn't realize how useful the webOS version was with the feature to swipe back to the previous songs (not to listen to them, but at least to rate them) until I got to use versions that don't have that feature. I don't see a reason why the Android or iOS version of the app can't support that feature though, so it's unusual that it's missing in them.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i just got my wife an epig 4g for christmas,and while not as intuitive as webOS, its miles ahead in performance! hp/palm, you are now officially on the clock. i update in 122 days, and if you dont have a compelling device, i am going to have to make the move to google/android. you can definitely tell engineers built android, as every setting is 12 levels deep! i LOVE webOS! but with a pre(-), and ALL that it entails(poor hardware,lack of API's, lack of apps), i cant go on much longer this way.
  10.    #430  
    @silver, you can copy email content easily but I don't think any OS will let you copy a password. Did you use the webOS to Android Guide to speed up your transition?
    The password I mentioned is the one that Android Central sends via email as plain text as a temporary password. That's where I had trouble copying the text from, the email client as plain text.

Anyway, I read a guide at Android Central that was meant for transitioning from webOS to Android, but it didn't answer all my questions. Is that the guide you mean? Because one thing I'm disappointed about Android is the lack of easy to find documentation. For instance, I still have no clue how that mouse arrow that pops up when I hold down shift in the hardware keyboard is supposed to help me. The tutorial in the phone only covers Swype, and Sprint's documentation isn't particularly in depth either...
    Dead on,less then a min is about right,my pre I would put it down and go eat or walk the dogs.LOL.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    The password I mentioned is the one that Android Central sends via email as plain text as a temporary password. That's where I had trouble copying the text from, the email client as plain text.

Anyway, I read a guide at Android Central that was meant for transitioning from webOS to Android, but it didn't answer all my questions. Is that the guide you mean? Because one thing I'm disappointed about Android is the lack of easy to find documentation. For instance, I still have no clue how that mouse arrow that pops up when I hold down shift in the hardware keyboard is supposed to help me. The tutorial in the phone only covers Swype, and Sprint's documentation isn't particularly in depth either...
    I didn't even know the Epic had a mouse pointer feature haha. (note i have the Evo with no mouse feature)
    I am running the DK28 version of Froyo on my Epic but it's a bit buggy. I can see why Sprint didn't release it. I am getting some calendar force closes and e-mail crashes sometimes when I launch it, but then gets in no problem on the second launch. There is also sometimes lag when going to the home screen.

Other than that Froyo is great on the Epic. I love having Flash. The phone is extremely fast and the camera is wonderful. The pics I took over the holiday look like they were shot with a regular point and shoot. The Super AMOLED is the best part of the phone IMO.

I do have to say webOS is a much better gaming platform. The games are weak on Android but I believe this is caused from the app size limitation.

Looking back I kind of wish Google bought Palm and merged the two OS's, keeping the webOS UI. This would have made Android the best OS available. Though I have a feeling that Google is going to completely revamp the UI with version 3.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I am running the DK28 version of Froyo on my Epic but it's a bit buggy. I can see why Sprint didn't release it. I am getting some calendar force closes and e-mail crashes sometimes when I launch it, but then gets in no problem on the second launch. There is also sometimes lag when going to the home screen.

Other than that Froyo is great on the Epic. I love having Flash. The phone is extremely fast and the camera is wonderful. The pics I took over the holiday look like they were shot with a regular point and shoot. The Super AMOLED is the best part of the phone IMO.
    I tried my first custom ROM, and it's much smoother and more stable than the leaked Froyo build. I have the Gingerbread keyboard now too. It's pretty sweet. Once you get Clockwork installed on your device, changing ROMs is as easy as switching out kernels in Preware.

I do have to say webOS is a much better gaming platform. The games are weak on Android but I believe this is caused from the app size limitation.
    Can't say I've found that to be the case. The stuff I played on WebOS - Angry Birds, Need for Speed, Gameloft games - are all here except on a much bigger and better screen. Stuff like Pocket God and Fruit Ninja - that wasn't on WebOS - is here as well.

Looking back I kind of wish Google bought Palm and merged the two OS's, keeping the webOS UI. This would have made Android the best OS available. Though I have a feeling that Google is going to completely revamp the UI with version 3.0.
    From the looks of the leaked music app, the scuttlebutt months back is true. They're basically giving the entire OS that CoolIris/3D Gallery look, which is fine with me.
  16.    #436  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    ...Looking back I kind of wish Google bought Palm and merged the two OS's, keeping the webOS UI. This would have made Android the best OS available. Though I have a feeling that Google is going to completely revamp the UI with version 3.0.
    It is not the old technology that you want. You want the people who built it and can build the next gen for you. Getting the V2 at the end of World War II helped our rocket technology catch up. Getting the architect, Wernher von Braun, took us to the moon.

Instead of buying Palm to get the old User Interface, Google hired the webOS UI architect. From Infoweek last spring:

Google was able to woo Palm's chief webOS user interface architect away and place him in charge of Android's user experience team. That's bad news for HP. Is it good news for Android?

Matias Duarte was the mastermind behind Palm's webOS user interface. Say what you will about webOS's strengths and weaknesses, you can't call it an ugly OS. It is fluid, attractive, and (dare I say) fun to interact with. The idea of placing applications on virtual cards that can be flung off the display to close apps was sheer genius. Duarte was behind that.

Palm is on shaky ground right now. Though HP has agreed to acquire the company, its webOS has yet to find its footing with consumers. Palm needs to stick webOS into better smartphones and convince its carrier partners that the devices are worth selling.

Losing so key a figure in the webOS department is a definite blow to the company, though I suppose we could argue that Duarte's work is (mostly) done. The OS has been created, he's imparted his signature, and any changes moving forward will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Palm's problem is less its OS and more its hardware.

The bigger question is, what will Duarte do with Android?

Android is not the prettiest or most user friendly mobile operating system I've ever used, but it already does better than old and creaky competitors Windows Mobile, Symbian and BlackBerry OS. Google is much easier to master than its forebears...
    From the time you bring on new talent, it is months before you can see results. Froyo still shows Android's roots as an open source project with a zillion features and, as Andy Rubin says led to “geeking it out.”

Gingerbread is moving away from the nerd color scheme of black and gray and just beginning to show Duarte's influence. Honeycomb will make much better use of color, flow, and layout by early summer. Ice Cream in late 2011 will be Duarte's next gen User Interface.

When asked what rocket technology captured at Peenemünde in May of 1945, was the most important, General Groves said, "von Braun".
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/29/2010 at 01:47 PM.
    I caved in and got an epic this Weekend as well. It is currently enroute to me so I can't say how good or bad it is. I do have to say that I am mentally prepared for the OS to be completely fragmented where different apps require different inputs to do the same thing ( anandtech's gingerbread review talks about copy pasting as an example). I am hoping I will be able to overcome this issue. I had looked at bero before buying my Pre and djdn't like it, hardware wise Pre was miles ahead of hero as well.

I will be back to webOS with either a new phone or the palmPad this year. I just hope the stuff that as been misssing from the APIs is fully baked in before the tablet launches.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts on what works and what doesn't on epic. I will still be visitng Precental for all my webOS needs as my Pre is going to be my new Ipod touch replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    hmm, didn't someone try that with the iPhone and got slapped with a cease and desist for copyright infringement.?

That being said , I think it looks awesome, and right now webOS could use some fans
    No, its only a theme and not an actual webos so im 99.9% sure that its fine.

If i remember correctly they were trying to put an actual os onto the iphone which was in violation of copyrights and etc...

Makes me wonder though: I own a palm pre (well, 2 actually and both working flawlessly, no problems ever), so... I own (2) licence(s). I would think it is my right to have the os installed and active (given that I somehow managed to do so) on whatever other device that "I own", for my personal use only and not any redistribution of the os. Obviously, like with a palm profile (to my knowlege you can't run same profile on 2 palm pres at the same time) the os on original device should become disabled) in that case I would think everyone wins! I buy a pre but only use one copy of webos - on watever device I managed to put it on. Why should palm or hp or whoever care? Personally I would love to be able to dualboot an actual webos on my epic. That would be super sweet

Ps sorry if I may have gone a bit off topic.
    I got my Epic yesterday and I LOVE it.. Learning curve is not that bad and I am proficient 24 hours later... AND despite the fact that it's running Android 2.1, I CAN open Flash based websites...
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    No, its only a theme and not an actual webos so im 99.9% sure that its fine.

If i remember correctly they were trying to put an actual os onto the iphone which was in violation of copyrights and etc...

Makes me wonder though: I own a palm pre (well, 2 actually and both working flawlessly, no problems ever), so... I own (2) licence(s). I would think it is my right to have the os installed and active (given that I somehow managed to do so) on whatever other device that "I own", for my personal use only and not any redistribution of the os. Obviously, like with a palm profile (to my knowlege you can't run same profile on 2 palm pres at the same time) the os on original device should become disabled) in that case I would think everyone wins! I buy a pre but only use one copy of webos - on watever device I managed to put it on. Why should palm or hp or whoever care? Personally I would love to be able to dualboot an actual webos on my epic. That would be super sweet

Ps sorry if I may have gone a bit off topic.
    TealOs for Palm was slapped with a C&D and that was just a launcher.. Also there are acouple of iPhone webOS theme that got C&D's also last year (2009/2010)

I do believe they may get one too.. But as all webos devices get 2.0 with stacks and just type .. These themes will be REALLY OLD news

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums