Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast
  1.    #361  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    ...Anyone know an easy way to transfer contacts from the Pre to the Epic? Most of my contacts are in my Palm Profile so using Google to transfer the contacts is not an option.
    Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android section on Contacts:

...If your contacts are in your Palm Profile instead use the Send All Contacts via Email patch: Tap Contacts > Import/Export to SD card. Then import that file into Gogole Gmail on your computer.

There is a lot more there that may help you.

Also check out the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks. for much more.

- Craig
    Thanks guys. There is actually a front page article on precentral about how to export contacts from webOS. Perfect timing. I should be able to export the contacts then import the file directly into gmail.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. There is actually a front page article on precentral about how to export contacts from webOS. Perfect timing. I should be able to export the contacts then import the file directly into gmail.
    I'm curious NickDG, do you find Android "clunky" vs WebOS? I'm interested in your opinion because I know you were a pretty diehard supporter of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    I'm curious NickDG, do you find Android "clunky" vs WebOS? I'm interested in your opinion because I know you were a pretty diehard supporter of WebOS.
    Definitely clunky. Things are all over the place, scrolling in the browser is erratic, finding settings for apps and the OS takes some digging. WebOS is still my mobile OS of choice. I am not getting rid of my Pre Plus.

But the major draw for me is the amazing hardware, especially the screen, plus the apps I have been waiting for on webOS forever, mainly slingplayer and audible. I listen to a lot of audio books and I was forced to use my iPad for that before I got the Epic. I downloaded Google Listen for podcasts, which is just OK. Dr.Podder blows it away IMO, but I haven't tried any of the paid podcast apps for Android yet so I can't judge that quite yet.

I prefer the keyboard on my Pre. I'm not a fan of horizontal sliders. I am also having problems with wifi. I need to toggle it off then on sometimes because the connection just dies.

The polish isn't there that webOS had even at 1.0 (even though it was slow). I plan on getting the next webOS phone no matter what because I am a tech junky. I'm an IT engineer so I like to keep up with all the latest tech. Now I have all 3 OS's (webOS, iOS and Android).

I am not disconnecting my Pre. It's only costing me an extra 20 bucks a month to add the Epic to my account. 4G is hitting my area at the end of the month and I really want a 4G hotspot.

Sorry for the long post!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Looks great. Thanks.
    Nice spam for post counts.
    Mrs Bun: Have you got anything without Spam?
    Waitress: Well, Spam, egg, sausage, and Spam; that's not got much Spam in it.
    Mrs Bun: I don't want any Spam!
    Mr Bun: Why can't she have egg, bacon, Spam, and sausage?
    Mrs Bun: That's got Spam in it!
    Mr Bun: Not as much as Spam, egg, sausage, and Spam,
    Mrs. Bun: Look, could I have egg, bacon, Spam and sausage, without the Spam?
    Waitress: Bleurgh!
    Mrs. Bun: What do you mean "Ugh?" I don't like Spam!
    Vikings: [singing] Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam... Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waitress: You can't have egg, bacon, Spam and sausage without the Spam.
    Mrs. Bun: Why not?!
    Waitress: Well, it wouldn't be egg, bacon, Spam and sausage, would it?
    Mrs. Bun: I DON'T LIKE SPAM!
    Mr. Bun: No need to kick up a fuss, dear; I'll have your Spam. I love it! I'm having Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam!
    Waitress: Baked beans are off.
    Mr. Bun: In that case, can I have Spam instead?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    So I am having a serious problem with exchange e-mail, and after searching it seems to be an Android problem and not a problem with the Epic.

When I reply to an e-mail, it doesn't send. It just sits in the Outbox. No error messages pop up. I have been sending e-mails to nobody for the last couple days. Sucks big time.

If I just create a new e-mail everything works fine. Android's half-*** implementation of Exchange Active Sync sucks. I might have to buy a 3rd party program to get things working.

Just an FYI to anyone who relies on their phone working with Exchange properly. I had ZERO problems with Exchange Active Sync with webOS.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Hey nickdg, if your not already using k9 mail give it a try. Its free and has solved a similar issue for me even though I don't use an exchange account. Basically I was sending emails to nobody and if I checked my sent items it shows it was sent, but in reality it never left my phone. Also the only down side I've seen with k9 is it has no pinch to zoom.

So give it a try and report back if it worked or not.
    I can look,but does any1 know if it cost extra for MHS. Thought I read some where that it's an additional $30.
    I was thinking of picking up the Epic but if that's the case,fogetit.
    The official froyo update has been released. I updated manually. Everything is running great and super fast. This update also fixed my Exchange problems so I am happy about that.

Sunspider score with the 2.2.1 update is 6.2 seconds. This is blazing fast, compared with the iPhone 4's score at around 10 seconds.
    Froyo really is a great update to android. Glad you Epic owners FINALLY got it haha....better late than never though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Froyo really is a great update to android. Glad you Epic owners FINALLY got it haha....better late than never though.
    Let's hope Samsung doesn't drag their feet with the gingerbread update like they did with the froyo update.
    Let's hope Samsung doesn't drag their feet with the gingerbread update like they did with the froyo update.
    You know they are.
    Seems all my issues are gone with the 2.2.1 update. My WiFi is stable, my Exchange mail is now working properly, and the browser is much improved.

Standby battery life is outstanding. Even with push e-mail enabled.
    Sounds good.
  17. Evansgw
    I love my Pre. I am overclocked and patched and I enjoy the community spirit and uniqueness of the Pre.

But I have to admit, I went and looked at an Epic over the weekend. I went to the Sprint store and took a peek. Very impressed.

Wife and Mine upgrades available now. With Ruby saying he has nothing to talk about, it doesn't make me want to wait until CES.

Feeling guilty for wanting the Epic, my Pre is sitting on it's touchstone looking at me, all tired, cracked and scratched, reminding me of the good times of exciting OTA updates, finding a new patch to fix things that should have been right in the first place, it's quirky oreo, and slow camera. Frustrating but yet I still love my Pre. But the Epic, it is calling.
    I've looked at the Evo/Epic too, makes me confirm my status about being a Palm owner.

I'm not sure why these threads are started nearly every second but if you're wanting to switch, then switch. If not, then wait. Simple as that.

Either way, this community and the android community will be there for a while.
    Sprint Love
  19. Evansgw
    I don't want to switch, I have been waiting, our upgrade is available, I want a new webOS phone. But with no news and no official word about anything being announced at CES, it is frustrating.

As a consumer, I want to give HP my money, I want to make webOS and the phones a success. It is not like I am asking them to do me any favors.

I am giving them the cash, in exchange for a phone, that I earn by waking up at 05:15am and get home at 06:45pm, plus the countless hours at night following up with emails from our worldwide offices.

So, as a consumer, I have a right to be frustrated and demand (yes demand, because I am paying for it) the products that I want.

Also, while I think the community is great and I've enjoyed the banter over the last year, I don't think the responses such as yours are particularly helpful. I wasn't looking for a take it or leave it response. As I said, I love my Pre and I am feeling guilty for even looking at an Epic.

What I wanted to hear is, stick with it, the Superphones coming from CES are going to be awesome, we are in it together, as a community we can make a difference and HP will start teasing us with some hints of what's to come... and not in the coming months...
    ummm "stick with it, the Superphones coming from HP Palm are going to be awesome, we are in it together, as a community we can make a difference".... feel better now?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups