Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 LastLast
    ya could have left the arrow off.. Nobody likes the arrow! Good job tho, looks really sleek. Gotta love that epic screen too!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    ya could have left the arrow off.. Nobody likes the arrow! Good job tho, looks really sleek. Gotta love that epic screen too!
    well its the only way to access the apps loll
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    well its the only way to access the apps loll
    its webos.... what apps???

i kid i kid
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    its webos.... what apps???

i kid i kid
    haha loll. its actually android
    Ironic, I made my WebOS look like iOS!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Ironic, I made my WebOS look like iOS!
    So now you can curse steve jobs for making crappy hardware!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sorry to jack this back to the epic 4g, but I broke down and got one on friday, and it is nothing short of amazing.

Can't believe I actually thought about holding off on a new Android because I already had the HTC Hero. The smoothness rivals iOS4, as does the screen, and it has really given me a new appreciation for how far this OS has come. Also, it is really nice playing Angry Birds on a large screen.

I will hold onto to my Pre to check out future OS updates, but this thing is so far and above most anything else on the market, it's not even funny. And this is with stock 2.1 running Launcher Pro. I will try out some ROMs somewhere down the road, but I want for little right now.
    I have a Samusung Moment and my wife has a Pixi. Let's just say my love affair with the Moment/Android is over. The way Samsung has supported the Moment makes me never want to buy a Samsung product again and I have steered several people to the Evo over the Epic.

That said, minus the GPS issue, that Epic is one badass phone! If Samsung had better support and the Epic had better GPS, I would be at the store for my update. As it is, I am holding out to see what HP/Palm has up their sleeve.
    I bought an Epic 4G a couple days ago. I opened a new line keeping my Pre Plus as my primary line so I can try the Epic out for the 30 days. The hardware is wonderful. Great screen, very fast, great camera with auto focus, and the keyboard isn't as bad as I thought it would be considering how much I hate horizontal sliders.

Now onto the software. Android is a mess. It really needs some serious work with the UI. I hope things improve with Honeycomb, because Gingerbread seems like it will be a small update since it is only moving up to 2.3. Having to go into the task manager to fully close apps is a chore. Performance wise the phone multitasks very well, but keeping up with what is open and what is not open is something they need to work on. The Samsung skin isn't that bad, but I am sure the stock Android experience is better. I might try that this weekend.

I am going to give Android a chance over the next 30 days. I now have all 3 OS's. iOS (iPad), webOS (Pre Plus), and Android (Epic 4G). Both iOS and webOS are much more intuitive than Android. My wife is not technical at all and she picked up on how to use her Pixi in a couple days. If I handed her an Android phone she wouldn't know where to start. It really is a OS for techies. It really does remind me of the old Windows Mobile.

So far things are not looking good for the Epic. The Pre Plus overclocked to 1 Ghz is almost as fast as the Epic. I don't have 4G in my area but it is supposed to launch next month. I am already having Exchange issues with the Epic that I don't have on my Pre Plus. Having separate GMail and E-mail apps is stupid. The settings app is nice that everything is in once place, but it is also a mess, having to drill down far to enable/disable trivial things.

Battery life on the Epic blows the Pre Plus away. The reports on the Pre 2's battery life are promising, but I really hope the next webOS phone has a bigger battery. Luckily I have multiple Touchstones so it is not a big issue for me.

I will come back and post some further thoughts on the Epic once I spend more time with it. Did I mention how much I love the Super AMOLED screen? It is beautiful.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I noted the overclocking because in fairness there are many on this forum who have been at 1.2 GHz for some time.

We did get speed tests back from Epic users at 1.2GHz as well but I think even fewer do it with the Epic because there is really no point as it is already 4 times faster than even a 1 GHz Pre as we found in the speed tests.
    Your speed test was hardly accurate. You used Google Maps as one of the tests and as you know, there is a bug with the app in webOS that slows it down considerably. The humming bird CPU clock for clock is faster than the OMAP3 running at 1 Ghz, but hardly 4x faster. I bet the Pre 2 running webOS 2.0 is just as fast as the Epic. It is using a smaller die size so it is comparable to the humming bird and faster than the Pre/Pre Plus CPU overclocked to 1 Ghz.

Hardware internals wise, the Pre 2 and the Epic are in the same league. It's just the screen and cameras that make the Epic a better piece of hardware IMO.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    OS and app optimization as well of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I have been holding off on rooting and ROMs mainly because I don't need them at the moment and want to save it as something new after I've had android for a while. But this Warm TwoPointTwo has me considering doing it sooner rather than later.
    I've been using Warm TwoPointTwo for awhile now. Love it. Best ROM I have used to date. Even more goodies in the latest Beta.

BTW Widget Locker is a great App for Android.
    The touchscreen accuracy is driving me mad on the Epic. I open the Quick Links menu on this forum and try and select "todays posts" and hit "mark all forums as read" instead. No problem, I will just pinch to zoom so everything is bigger, but when I do that the menu closes!

The browser is very buggy. I hope this stuff gets fixed when Samsung/Sprint finally release the Froyo update.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The touchscreen accuracy is driving me mad on the Epic. I open the Quick Links menu on this forum and try and select "todays posts" and hit "mark all forums as read" instead. No problem, I will just pinch to zoom so everything is bigger, but when I do that the menu closes!

The browser is very buggy. I hope this stuff gets fixed when Samsung/Sprint finally release the Froyo update.
    You do know there are a kabillion browser alternatives that are updated all of the time, right?

DolphinHD, Skyfire 3.0, Full Opera Mobile, etc.....
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

My friend has the epic and she complained about her touch screen and some other things. Turned out her phone was faulty and she traded it in and now says its 100% better. Like she thought Angry Birds was hard, but becames a lot easier after she swapped her phone out haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You do know there are a kabillion browser alternatives that are updated all of the time, right?

DolphinHD, Skyfire 3.0, Full Opera Mobile, etc.....
    Thanks I will give them a shot. Which do you like best?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    My friend has the epic and she complained about her touch screen and some other things. Turned out her phone was faulty and she traded it in and now says its 100% better. Like she thought Angry Birds was hard, but becames a lot easier after she swapped her phone out haha.
    It doesn't seem to be a problem outside the browser. So I don't think it's the touchscreen.
    I use the stock Epic browser with occasional dabbles with DolphinHD. I've tried Opera....Skyfire...etc. They each have their issues and aren't particularly faster or better than stock, although that might change once Opera enables full hardware acceleration.

The only area I have touchscreen issues with is if I have the keyboard pulled out with the screen in landscape mode in this forum. Once I finish a post, and click "Post Reply", nothing happens. It doesn't even register. Does it fine in portrait. Does fine in every other forum I browse. Can't do it here for some reason.
    OK now that I am completely setup on my Epic with all the apps I need, e-mail setup, and the battery broken in I am loving it. Slingplayer on this thing is awesome.

I am now a believer. I am keeping the Epic.

Anyone know an easy way to transfer contacts from the Pre to the Epic? Most of my contacts are in my Palm Profile so using Google to transfer the contacts is not an option.
    First mistake...using Palm Profile...

haha jk i wish i had advice though. I've been using google contacts since I had a blackberry curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    First mistake...using Palm Profile...

haha jk i wish i had advice though. I've been using google contacts since I had a blackberry curve.
    agreed. no idea how to use Palm Profile. i'd say just get them out of that somehow to google. a csv or pst format then clean up the entries and sync to the epic.