Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    To each their own. But, on a side note.. you shouldn't be using a task killer, it actually degrades the performance of the phone and hinders battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonotford View Post
    I have come back to the Pre after a brief affair with Android via the Samsung Epic 4G. Here are some thoughts from a webOS perspective:

Cons:
    1) GPS - it simply fails on these Galaxy S phones. Something that was an immediate deal breaker. A real shame bc the google maps navigate feature is so cool. So is the compass.
    -From what I read, the Epic's GPS was a non issue? I mean you owned it so you would know best but that sucks if its still an issue.

2) Tasks - Having to use a third party app to kill tasks is completely ridiculous, IMHO. Laughable, even.
    You don't have to use a task killer. I don't know how it is in 2.1 but in Froyo you can kill tasks if you want within the settings menu:

But even then, Android closes apps as needed. I don't have a task killer on my Evo and the only slow down i get is when an app is installing or if something is syncing on the cloud.

3) Size - This thing is huge. You can't use is one-handed. The keyboard is so big, it is awkward. (i'm 6'2")
    4) 4G - what a crock. It *kills* the battery (i live in one of the first 4G cities), and does not really seem faster. The browsing speed gains seem mostly from CPU, given that with 3G pages loaded just as fast. I hope the next Sprint WebOS phone does not have this BS added in. Wimax is on its way out anyway. And it is definitely not worth $10/month at this point. Sprint - get with LTE!
    4G is more for people who need a wireless hotspot and multimedia (streaming) options. I wouldn't use 4G exclusively really. I keep it on in my apartment because ihave full service and i can plug it in at anytime.
    5) Build - I actually think the Sprint Pre feels a little more solid than the Epic - go figure. I was worried I was going to break this thing. It feels especially vulnerable to an "oreo" type situation.
    6) Styling - I didn't like the Sprint and Samsung logos on the front. It seems very mickey mouse compared to the elegant Pre.
    7) Notifications - Simply not up to the WebOS standard. You can't read the first few words from a text or email, while the phone is still locked, like with WebOS.
    Depends what apps you are using. If you used Handcent for text messaging you can read the whole text message as a popup on your lock screen and respond without even unlocking the phone. (or if you don't like the pop up, just turn it off)
    8) Music Player - no controls when phone locked. I thought this was pretty dumb. Though I bet there are solutions for this - I didn't look very hard though.
    that is dumb. The Sense MP3 player has an awesome lock screen...but this is another one where a 3rd party app can fill the void very easily.
    9) Qik - My wife has an EVO and I wanted to use Qik to video chat while I was on a business trip, so i could see her and my son. Well - even with us both "connected", we could never connect. I doubt we were doing anything wrong - there's not much to tweak there, and we followed the steps in the user guide after initially failing. Fring did work though - but the mics do not filter out the other person talking (so you get horrible echo/potential feedback). Plus, I dislike Fring for their Skype fail earlier last month.
    I ran into this yesterday with my girlfriend. Turns out Fring I think has an issue if your contact has more than one number. I put her number in manually and it worked perfectly. Its a weird odd issue that needs to be addressed
    I'll just touch on your cons not to convince you to go back or anything, but just what i've found while on Android.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 09/13/2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    just a quick response:

GPS - compared to my wife's EVO, and my Pre, the GPS on the EPIC was horrid. I read the same stuff that claimed the issue was fixed. However it was about 20% success rate in locating me - vs 100% with the EVO in the same location.
    Task Killer - I felt the need to use the task killer when stuff like "sprint nascar" (which i'd never launched) would be running.
    It starts back up i believe with the stock ROM. I think its just a background service...i mean, what was it taking up....a few KBs? But yeah its annoying these carriers force their apps on these phones. Why not just let it be a choice? If someones not going to use it anyway, why force them to look at it?

And this is why custom roms exist...cause carriers suck.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonotford View Post
    I have come back to the Pre after a brief affair with Android via the Samsung Epic 4G.
    I didn't hate the phone (except the GPS part). In fact, there is a lot that I miss now. I just had to ask myself: "is this worth $235 ($370 initial price - $100 rebate -$35 restocking fee) and another 10 months for upgrade eligibility?". Well the little annoyances were enough for me to say "No". So it is back to my Pre - for which I have a renewed respect, despite the horrible headset issue. I will attempt to patiently wait for the next WebOS "superdevice". I'm not sure if I can for a year though - but honestly, my experience with Android has reduced its luster, making it easier to wait.
    I have to admit, the Epic caught my attention and I was a fan of Samsung phones.

So I switched.

And now I am back.

I agree with nonotford's comment on the price point. It just wasnt worth the cost to me. Unfortunately I had sold my Pre within 2 days of posting it on CL (125.00 w/a touchstone). So I gave the Epic back and used my upgrade to get a shiny new Pre (49.00 after mail-in rebate.) So I am coming a little ahead in the cash department. I'll be screwed if a new WebOS device somes out after Oct 15 though but I can deal with it, that's how much I love the Pre.

So other than price point, why didn't I like it?
    I am a layman (no overclockling, not a movie watcher, just the basics) so these are my reasons ...
    1. I hated 'menuing'. I have genstures so ingrained in me that it really was quite an annoyance.
    2. I couldn't find a media player to provide incorporated lyrics display. really? I had to had two apps running to see lyrics.
    3. email. it didn't always get email timely. on the Pre it's always there within minutes of being delivered.
    4. keyboard. all of the keys were in different spots. yeah I could have gotten used to it, but it really annoyed me

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now. I'll edit if more come to mind.

Glad to be back!
    Poor Palm! ... No matter how great, revolutionizing, innovating, spectacular their new device will be, no one but those remaining few with a Pre is gonna want it. Maybe a few that switched to Evo "might" return. I don't seePalm even making a dent in the market of today's fast past. The new device should be named "The Underdog!" ....lol
    I went and got me an Epic! I love it.
    I could have stayed just needed good podcast and music apps and an easy way to control them.

On my pixi I can play/pause the awesome DrPodder and NaNplayer from anywhere on the phone or while it's locked.

On Epic:
    1 I had to hit home and have a widget on the homepage.
    2 Hold home and click music or podcast app from recent (if still there)
    3 Double tap home with QuickDesk installed (an overlay like launcher) was good only when the widgets in it worked.

a car dock would have been nice too (or touchstone hehe)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    thats new to me...drpodder NEVER was able to pause/play from the notification bar when i had it.
    He added it in a recent update.
    You can play/pause and 30sec jump from the notification bar.

Pandora, Music, and Podcast app can all be controlled instantly from practically anywhere!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Yeah i do miss the anywhere controlls from my Pre. You can hop to the app from the notification bar on android but i'm surprised there is no way to add player controllers in the notification bar. Maybe it'll be addressed in gingerbread.
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I could have stayed just needed good podcast and music apps and an easy way to control them.

On my pixi I can play/pause the awesome DrPodder and NaNplayer from anywhere on the phone or while it's locked.

On Epic:
    1 I had to hit home and have a widget on the homepage.
    2 Hold home and click music or podcast app from recent (if still there)
    3 Double tap home with QuickDesk installed (an overlay like launcher) was good only when the widgets in it worked...
    Why not use one of the lockscreen apps that let you put on a music widget like WidgetLocker Lockscreen?

Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/23/2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    You actually paid $2.00 for that? lmao I just can't get over how ugly the Android screenshots look. I am actually in the process of reactivating my Palm Pre. The Android OS is just a mess imo.
    It's only a mess because you either a) made it that way or b) left it that way. Considering you can start off with a blank slate and create apps, widgets and live folders onto a home screen that revolve around what makes you most productive, you are the only one to blame for it being a mess. It's what you make of it.

And screenshots for apps are to show what the app/widget looks like, not what it looks like injected into someone's customized phone. How good do the widget screen shots look in the webOS app store? Oh wait, there aren't any

Yeah, this looks like such a mess. And that agenda widget actually scrolls. I've got a whole month at a glance. I have a dock bar at the bottom with my most used apps, and a flick to the right gives me five more. And this is without cluttering my home screen with app icons. And of course there is still easy access to all the apps with the center button. A flick right I have a month view calendar that actually shows appts in the day blocks ala old school palm. Helps piece complete weeks together.

Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    You actually paid $2.00 for that? lmao I just can't get over how ugly the Android screenshots look. I am actually in the process of reactivating my Palm Pre. The Android OS is just a mess imo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    looks like a mess to me... clunky too!!!!!
    What's busy for you is productve for me. Clunky just doesn't make sense since you've never navigated my home screen even with all those exclamation points...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    looks like a mess to me... clunky too!!!!!
    Elaborate a bit. You're quick to dismiss Android but never give reasons why.
    Because he probably has as much experience with android as he does with WP7. Textbook prehugger.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    switched to the epic4g about a week ago and so far i love it. palm has a lot of catching up to do to halfway compete with phones like this.
    if you added webos' cards and notifications to android i would see no reason to stay with webos. i loved preware but on android something like that is unnecessary since the options or patches are already on the phone or available in the market. its also really nice to have a huge choice of applications and games as well as better integration with all of googles apps (voice, documents, tasks, etc). having been a loyal palm pda and smartphone owner for years it was tough to switch but after doing it i have zero regrets. to those on the fence whether to switch to android or wait for new palm phones i would suggest making the switch and hope that palm can catch up in the future in terms of hardware and the applications available.
    i saw and epic today. i used it for a while and was fully impressed. it without question trounces my sprint pre. the OS was perfectly fine and had a lot more features then my pre. But best the App store was full of apps i want for my pre like ESPN Sportscenter and ESPN Fantasy. I'd get an Evo if i had to but the EPic is a great phone.