Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post

I have noticed that multi-tasking is better on the pre. I was using the Mediafly TWIT edition and was watching Twit. Then I 'tasked' to do something else and came back. Yes it came back to the same video, but started loading and playing it from the beginning. Totally stupid. Also, when you play an audio file (like a podcast) but not using a pod catcher, again, when it goes to the background, it stops playing. It kind of reminds me of the IOS4 approach to multitasking.
    I also watch Twit tv with the Twit app anyways the problem with multi-tasking while playing a video with the twit app is a problem with that specific app and the developer of the app needs to fix the problem it has nothing to do with the OS, Android is fully capable of handling that operation but the developer of the twit app really needs to fix that it really irritates me also.

Also the ios4 approach to multitasking and the Android approach of it are completely different Android has true multitasking natively wile ios4 does not.
    Last edited by njbianco; 09/11/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    If you don't mind a 10$/mo extra charge for faster data... go for it and report back on how you like the notifications, task switching, music playback, application stability, battery life, and one handed typing. Some of these items can be improved if you void the warranty and root the phone, though. Enjoy!!!
    The Pre has issues with Battery life and music playback as well. One hande typing with swipe is simple.

And i don't even own an Epic. But don't call out faults that the phone you are comparing it to has as well.
    I am going to wait until froyo comes out for the epic.lots of amazing stuff coming including flash
    I just want to put my 2c in on all this. I'm not going into much detail on all the cool things like the camera and screen and such, but just a general overview. I purchased an EPIC after having a pre since launch. Like many other users, I very much miss Synergy...that was bliss. Android has a real bad notification system built in, so people who like the ease and beauty that is webOS notifications, stay with the pre.

On the down side, the epic eats battery life faster than any other phone I have ever owned. However, I understand that when 2.2 gets pushed to us, that this will be mitigated somewhat. Android is also a bit cluttered if you let it be. It took me a while to figure out how to get things where I want them, and to make things nice and neat. The power button is also in a god awful place...its just not a good fit for the phone...but I suppose I will grow used to it.

I, luckly, dont have a buggy epic that lots complain about. So all in all, I give the epic an A- until froyo drops, then probably a solid A. Now, having said that, I still like my pre. I use it as an alarm clock and agenda manager on the touchstone....things that the epic just doesnt do quite as nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrichmd View Post
    I just want to put my 2c in on all this. I'm not going into much detail on all the cool things like the camera and screen and such, but just a general overview. I purchased an EPIC after having a pre since launch. Like many other users, I very much miss Synergy...that was bliss. Android has a real bad notification system built in, so people who like the ease and beauty that is webOS notifications, stay with the pre.

On the down side, the epic eats battery life faster than any other phone I have ever owned. However, I understand that when 2.2 gets pushed to us, that this will be mitigated somewhat. Android is also a bit cluttered if you let it be. It took me a while to figure out how to get things where I want them, and to make things nice and neat. The power button is also in a god awful place...its just not a good fit for the phone...but I suppose I will grow used to it.

I, luckly, dont have a buggy epic that lots complain about. So all in all, I give the epic an A- until froyo drops, then probably a solid A. Now, having said that, I still like my pre. I use it as an alarm clock and agenda manager on the touchstone....things that the epic just doesnt do quite as nicely.
    I also just switched to an Epic as IMO there will be no new HPalm phone until the middle of next year (Announce at CES, 3-6 months to get it to carriers). I miss the same things, but the Epic is, well epic in so many ways. My wife now has my Pre and she is loving it so far (switching from BB Curve).
    I figure I'll use the Epic for a year and re-evaluate the new offerings from HPalm when I am due for my upgrade next September.
    (As for your battery life... with a few setting tweaks and usage adjustments I am still over 40% at the close of the day... check the Android forum...)
    Yup, seriously tried using both devices, but have gone back to my Sprint Pre.These are just my opinions my from experiences. Your results may vary, and good on ya either way!

Lots of great things about Android, and these two devices, but at the end of the day, webos and the homebrew/patching community have spoiled me to the extent I can overlook the Pre's hardware shortcomings until the Pre 2 lands. I just don't think Android is baked yet, for my tastes (ha ha), and there were some hardware issues for both phones, for me.

Here's why;

For Both EVO and EPIC: 4G coverage in Washington DC area is a joke.I live 12 miles from the white house in Northern Va and have little to zero 4g signal. Not worth ten bucks a month...yet. I am sure the network will continue to improve. But, LTE is probably going to overtake it anyhow, sorry Sprint.

Android 2.1, overall as an OS:
    With no new PRE 2 or other rumored Palm OS phone to seriously consider from a product announcement, (PAAALLLMMM!!!), I gave Android a REAL shot, on two devices from two different manufacturers.

-Notifications very lame compared to webos. Window shade to pull down to see, go into program to delete emails. Free patches on webos easier for delete from notification without opening a program. I don't want to buy yet another program from app market to handle email better. Patches are free.
    -Needing a task killer to avoid unhappy battery usage or slowing the phone down with the types of apps I was running.
    -Accordingly, multitasking not as elegant as webos cards. Sorry, holding down the home button to see the last 5 apps I used not as helpful to me as cards. Though, programs load WONDERFULLY fast in Android. Almost instant. NICE!
    -I never rooted but was willing to do so. Patching the Pre is an easier experience. Overclocked my Pre as well.
    -Lots of things that were free as patches on Pre cost money on Android. I had to buy a good launcher. Maybe if I looked harder, could have found a free one that met all of my needs. But Touchwiz? Sense? Really tried both, no thanks.
    -I had to buy a mode switching program to do what the free Homebrew mode switcher does with changing profiles for bluetooth and wifi via events like charging states. Couldn't find a free one that did that.
    -Android app market: Great choices! Lots of cool free stuff and low costs on a lot of apps too. Wow...lots of spam garbage too. Not able to sort by price or ratings though? Really?

EVO: Have to say, really nice hardware compared to Pre! Kickstand useful, cool touch. I had the EVO first, right after launch.
    -Amoled screen simply hard to see in sunlight compared to Pre
    -Battery not much better than my Pre.
    -I had a defective unit, speaker problems
    -Had to be a surgeon to get MicroSD card out of slot, under battery, requiring you reboot phone.
    -Found I missed a physical keyboard too much, though the onscreen keyboard on EVO is nice. But, it also takes up most of screen when its on. I realize there are other software keyboards and swype too. Speech to text is cool, but not always appropriate to use if not alone.
    -Android 2.1, got stuck in a force close loop making phone unusable, forcing me to switch back to Pre the night before a cross country flight. That, combined with the unusable 4G $10 tariff, was the last straw.

So, I switched back to my trusty, lovingly patched and overclocked Pre to wait for the Epic, thinking my problems might be solved by a keyboard and rooting the Epic to get closer to a user experience I wanted instead of a stock skin. Then I heard about WebOS 2.0 and felt a Pre 2 was a reality sooner rather than later. But, since I had my preorder in and could return it to Best Buy in 30 days, figured I'd give it the Epic a go.

EPIC: I have had the Epic almost a week, returned it today. I spent many slavish hours on it, tweaking and getting it set up how I wanted. I downloaded a LOT of free apps, and spent about $12 on software. I did everything but root it. Have to say, really nice hardware compared to Pre, except keyboard.

-Beautiful super amoled screen. Lovely colors and blacks! Better in direct sunlight than Evo, still not as visible in sunlight as Pre. Placement of microsd card not under battery was a good choice, and very easy to remove. Nice. Nice camera, very good video. Was great to have all my music in the phone memory too.
    -Nice ear buds in the box..I was surprised, good audio from the Epic.
    -Faster than my Pre overclocked to 1ghz. Fast boot up, nice!
    -Landscape slider form factor: I just don't personally like a landscape slider this large. For me, it affected the keyboard usability.
    -Keyboard was the deal breaker combined with the notifications and other Android aspects I discussed at the top. Space bar too small for me, it should have been at least 1/3 larger so each thumb would not have to reach almost very center of the large keyboard. I have average size manhands, wear a large glove. It was simply too hard to thumb type characters in the center of the keyboard. Nice to have dedicated number row, but minimal feedback when pressing keys and their low profile made them easy to miss. Today I was trying to tap out an email with the keyboard and made so many mistakes, I realized I couldn't live with this phone, without a usable 4G signal and paying the $10 tariff again to boot. I decided not to settle with webos 2.0 soon and the hopes of a Pre2 more realistic than not by the end of the year.

Palm Pre 2, where are you?
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 09/13/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    If you didn't try K-9 email, you really missed out on how email should be on the Android platform. I'll bet you could afford it too - it's free.

The task killer debate rages on. But once again it's nice to have choices. Since Android's memory management is superior to webOS', you don't need a task killer at all. However, since there are some programs which are notoriously more power-greedy than others, it's nice to have a task killer that can zap those programs in the background without ever having to flip through a stack of cards trying to remember if you left that power-hungry app running in the background. It's all in how you use it.

Regarding task switching, Android 2.1's task switcher shows 6 most recently run programs and Android 2.2 shows the last 8 most recently run programs. I thought the EVO had been OTA upgraded to 2.2. You mentioned only the 'last five apps' - which would mean you only had opened 5 apps since your last reboot. That sounds pretty convenient to me - and much faster than flicking through 5 cards to find the one you need.

When shopping for apps in the Market, there are 3 (rather large) buttons at the top of the file list titled 'Top Paid,' Top Free,' and 'Jus In.' Top Paid and Top Free list the apps in that category in rank order of rating. No sorting by price though - just the paid and free split. BTW, you mention SPAM in the Market - where did you see that? I see some programs being spotlighted at the top of some lists, but those programs are all in the catalog.

In summary, it sounds like you didn't spend a whole lot of time with the Android OS, but then again, you should have to spend too much time with an OS to get the full benefit of it (which, in some cases, is an advantage of webOS). I just thought I should clarify some of the less accurate info I noticed in your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

Regarding task switching, Android 2.1's task switcher shows 6 most recently run programs and Android 2.2 shows the last 8 most recently run programs. I thought the EVO had been OTA upgraded to 2.2. You mentioned only the 'last five apps' - which would mean you only had opened 5 apps since your last reboot. That sounds pretty convenient to me - and much faster than flicking through 5 cards to find the one you need.
    Super minimizing cards you can flick through three cards at a time. So I wouldn't agree that its *much* faster than holding down home to get a list of eight apps. Plus with smart management of the order of your cards there isn't anything faster than the advanced card switch gesture swipe.
    @rinkeedink

Wow, very coincidental timing of your post. I finally met up with someone that actually has the Epic that I could try it out. A LOT of my impressions mirror your own with regard to the Epic.

The first for me was "Holy $#!%&! thing is freakin huge!! It's damn near the size of the Evo monstrousity!! I'm 5'-9" @ 190 and I can Palm a basketball, but holding the Epic normally in one hand I can't get to the top row of apps in the launcher or get the notification tray. This is ********. Not to mention it looks like I'm holding an old school remote up to my head when taking on it.

I agree with your statements on the kb as well. Very disappointing. The keys while raised don't click enough for tactile feedback and the spacing is terrible. If you have to reposition your hand to type...you blew it. I typed about 3-4 hundred words and just error after error.
    (this post typed from the Pre in just a couple mins and I made 3 corrections)

Of course Android is still Android so FTL there. As my last resort, I thought the Epic could be my fallback device, but with 2.0 incoming and my Pre- still going strong (minus usb cover). I won't be going anywhere.

(P.S. The Samsung Intercept is about spot on in terms of size for a h-slider phone)
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    -Lots of things that were free as patches on Pre cost money on Android. I had to buy a good launcher. Maybe if I looked harder, could have found a free one that met all of my needs. But Touchwiz? Sense? Really tried both, no thanks.
    -I had to buy a mode switching program to do what the free Homebrew mode switcher does with changing profiles for bluetooth and wifi via events like charging states. Couldn't find a free one that did that.
    LauncherPro is free, as is ADW Launcher, and if you didn't think either could meet your needs, well nothing would.

Also, as much as people around here crow about that Homebrew mode switcher, it cannot compare to the $6 Tasker in the Android app market.

It has too many capabilities to count, and can basically do almost anything with any app that you tell it to.

But it sounds ultimately that your deal breakers with the EVO and Epic, respectively, were no physical keyboard and physical keyboard you didn't like as much as the Pre. I'm not sure why it required a purchase of either for these "flaws" to become apparent to you. Seems like 5 minutes in a Sprint Store would've saved you a lot of time and trouble.
    rinkeedink,

thanks for posting this. I too switched to the Evo when it came out and really enjoyed it for a few days. It was a nice phone, and one I could see myself keeping if it weren't for the fact that WebOS is just so much better. I really felt like i wasn't multitasking on Android (and half the time, it turned out, I wasn't and had no control over that).

I did not find and Android as useful as WebOS in day to day usage, even with all the applications available. I like the OS, and I wish it well, but it's not quite there yet.

I'm back to my (overclocked) Pre and am very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    LauncherPro is free, as is ADW Launcher, and if you didn't think either could meet your needs, well nothing would.

Also, as much as people around here crow about that Homebrew mode switcher, it cannot compare to the $6 Tasker in the Android app market.

It has too many capabilities to count, and can basically do almost anything with any app that you tell it to.

But it sounds ultimately that your deal breakers with the EVO and Epic, respectively, were no physical keyboard and physical keyboard you didn't like as much as the Pre. I'm not sure why it required a purchase of either for these "flaws" to become apparent to you. Seems like 5 minutes in a Sprint Store would've saved you a lot of time and trouble.
    Not true it was a mixture of preferring Webos as an OS, notifications and multitasking, crummy4g service, bad to no 4G coverage near washington DC for $10/month and not liking the physical aspects after TRYING to adapt to these devices. Would you want to pay $249 for that? Even when IN DC proper, not a consistent 4G signal for me. It's just not there yet locally here from my experience.

I had to buy the paid version of Launcher Pro to get to resize icons. I know you don't have that choice on Pre, but just sayin is all. What I wanted wasnt free.

Your opinion on Tasker is noted, but as I said before, mode switcher meets my needs, and is free.

Overall, the purchases were hands on research that no five minutes in a store is going to tell you about. I think one has to spend a little more time than that with a live device and its software ecosystem, which are hard to find BEFORE a launch. With a dearth of substantive information about the next PRE, why not really research another platform? I was on Android for nearly a month. Enough to know I can prefer webos.

No rights or wrongs by you or me, just preferences.
    My wife has the EVO and her main complaint is the way task are done. She is not very tech savy and can never figure out what is running. On the Pre when you remove your earphone jack, music apps stop playing. My wifes EVO kept Pandora running in the background for a hours and finished her batter off without her even knowing it was on. 2.2 is better, but I am sticking with HP/Palm myself. I have to admit though, the EVO is the first on screen keyboard I actualy like. I put AAK on her phone and told her when in doubt hit it. Oh and Houston 4G sucks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If you didn't try K-9 email, you really missed out on how email should be on the Android platform. I'll bet you could afford it too - it's free.

As far as I could tell k-9 mail notifications were limited to LED and ringtones which was my big niggle with Android notifications. No onscreen option to delete from notifications I believe. I just don't like the shade pull down. I guess I never got that far looking for the email notification bc I asked Android Central, had them read my email on Podcast, that they were not aware of any email app that would handle onscreen notifications with delete the same as webos does, admittedly, with a patch. I am happy to be wrong about this, and maybe something new has come out. Let me know

The task killer debate rages on. But once again it's nice to have choices. Since Android's memory management is superior to webOS', you don't need a task killer at all. However, since there are some programs which are notoriously more power-greedy than others, it's nice to have a task killer that can zap those programs in the background without ever having to flip through a stack of cards trying to remember if you left that power-hungry app running in the background. It's all in how you use it.

Yes, as I said, the way I used Android, a task killer was needed. I don't agree that Androids memory management is superior to Webos. Just different. In Android, it is really nice to instant access to the application's last state b/c it never stopped running in Android, according to the value assigned it in the memory, but i just prefer knowing my programs are closed when I flick them away, unless I set them to do tasks in the background. Even the Epic comes with an onboard task killer from Samsung. Your right, with light usage of the phone, you wouldn't need it.

Yes 6, not 5. Pardon me. That's convenient if you don't mind pressing the home key a lot and using the back key a lot to get. I prefer just swiping around the screen with my thumb.

When shopping for apps in the Market, there are 3 (rather large) buttons at the top of the file list titled 'Top Paid,' Top Free,' and 'Jus In.' Top Paid and Top Free list the apps in that category in rank order of rating. No sorting by price though - just the paid and free split. BTW, you mention SPAM in the Market - where did you see that? I see some programs being spotlighted at the top of some lists, but those programs are all in the catalog.

That's funny..I never saw those buttons on the huge Epic screen in the Android market. Don't know why, I was looking for them.

In summary, it sounds like you didn't spend a whole lot of time with the Android OS, but then again, you should have to spend too much time with an OS to get the full benefit of it (which, in some cases, is an advantage of webOS). I just thought I should clarify some of the less accurate info I noticed in your post.
    I spent nearly a month between the Epic and Evo. I just prefer webos at the end of the day. It's all good, ANDROID does a LOT of things really well. Just not my style. As I said at the top of the post, I have been spoiled by webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    rinkeedink,

thanks for posting this. I too switched to the Evo when it came out and really enjoyed it for a few days. It was a nice phone, and one I could see myself keeping if it weren't for the fact that WebOS is just so much better. I really felt like i wasn't multitasking on Android (and half the time, it turned out, I wasn't and had no control over that).

I did not find and Android as useful as WebOS in day to day usage, even with all the applications available. I like the OS, and I wish it well, but it's not quite there yet.

I'm back to my (overclocked) Pre and am very happy.
    It is all about preferences, isn't it? I really wanted the Epic to work for after the EVO and with no sign of a real PRE 2 to bank on. Just not my thing! Android is a good OS! Just not great...yet! Even the guys on Engadget said in the podcast two weeks ago that Webos really is the probaly the best designed most elegant best mobile OS, but with the worst hardware!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    My wife has the EVO and her main complaint is the way task are done. She is not very tech savy and can never figure out what is running. On the Pre when you remove your earphone jack, music apps stop playing. My wifes EVO kept Pandora running in the background for a hours and finished her batter off without her even knowing it was on. 2.2 is better, but I am sticking with HP/Palm myself. I have to admit though, the EVO is the first on screen keyboard I actualy like. I put AAK on her phone and told her when in doubt hit it. Oh and Houston 4G sucks too.
    Dang, bad 4G in your part of Houston? I think the skimpy 4G service and its $10 tariff is enough to justify returning ANY phone, even if its software and hardware are working for you.
    Just so you know, you're going to run into the same 4G "tariff"/service issues when the next Palm device drops on Sprint. 'Tis the way of the world.
    \
    But according to Rahul Sood's tweets today, that won't be for a good little while, so.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just so you know, you're going to run into the same 4G "tariff"/service issues when the next Palm device drops on Sprint. 'Tis the way of the world.
    \
    But according to Rahul Sood's tweets today, that won't be for a good little while, so.....
    Sadly, you're probably right. In the meantime, I'll probably snag a used verizon or ATT Plus and switch my Sprint radio into it. If I do have to pay the tariff, hopefully the network will be better by then, and it would be on an OS I prefer.
    I have full 4G coverage in my area of Queens in NYC. I will admit the WebOS notification system is better for interacting with than Android, but when notifications and multi-tasking are the only benefits WebOS has over android 2.2 for me (even then, i don't think multitasking is better...just more visually pleasing/fun) i know i made a good choice going to the Evo.

Seriously, i felt like i was missing so much once i made the switch. Doesn't sound like you had the same experience which is fine. Here's hoping the next webos phone comes out soon.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have come back to the Pre after a brief affair with Android via the Samsung Epic 4G. Here are some thoughts from a webOS perspective:

Pros:
    1) Non-intimidating - Android is a lot more intuitive than I expected. I never had a problem finding anything, or figuring something out.
    2) Touchwiz UI - Samsung's Touchwiz doesn't seem like a problem. I actually like it better than HTC Sense (which my wife has)
    3) CPU - Obviously, the speed is amazing. Yes, it feels faster than the Uberkernal'd 1GHz Pre.
    4) Super AMOLED - The screen is absolutely amazing. Blacks are black. Colors are beautiful.
    5) Battery - Once I disabled 4G, the battery was very good compared to the Pre
    6) Headset - No headset issues with this phone
    7) Google apps - Most importantly, google apps are simply light years beyond the crappy implementations on WebOS. I use gvoice, gmail. picasa and more, so this was freakin awesome.
    8) Swype - I loved it. I never used the physical keyboard. I *really* hope HPalm provides a keyboardless phone w/ swype.
    9) Security - I do like Android's approach to really showing what services and info each app has access too. Plus - the Samsung customizable (connect the dots) unlock pattern is a really elegant solution.
    10) Hotspot - works like a champ. No issues there.

Cons:
    1) GPS - it simply fails on these Galaxy S phones. Something that was an immediate deal breaker. A real shame bc the google maps navigate feature is so cool. So is the compass.
    2) Tasks - Having to use a third party app to kill tasks is completely ridiculous, IMHO. Laughable, even.
    3) Size - This thing is huge. You can't use is one-handed. The keyboard is so big, it is awkward. (i'm 6'2")
    4) 4G - what a crock. It *kills* the battery (i live in one of the first 4G cities), and does not really seem faster. The browsing speed gains seem mostly from CPU, given that with 3G pages loaded just as fast. I hope the next Sprint WebOS phone does not have this BS added in. Wimax is on its way out anyway. And it is definitely not worth $10/month at this point. Sprint - get with LTE!
    5) Build - I actually think the Sprint Pre feels a little more solid than the Epic - go figure. I was worried I was going to break this thing. It feels especially vulnerable to an "oreo" type situation.
    6) Styling - I didn't like the Sprint and Samsung logos on the front. It seems very mickey mouse compared to the elegant Pre.
    7) Notifications - Simply not up to the WebOS standard. You can't read the first few words from a text or email, while the phone is still locked, like with WebOS.
    8) Music Player - no controls when phone locked. I thought this was pretty dumb. Though I bet there are solutions for this - I didn't look very hard though.
    9) Qik - My wife has an EVO and I wanted to use Qik to video chat while I was on a business trip, so i could see her and my son. Well - even with us both "connected", we could never connect. I doubt we were doing anything wrong - there's not much to tweak there, and we followed the steps in the user guide after initially failing. Fring did work though - but the mics do not filter out the other person talking (so you get horrible echo/potential feedback). Plus, I dislike Fring for their Skype fail earlier last month.

Overall:
    I didn't hate the phone (except the GPS part). In fact, there is a lot that I miss now. I just had to ask myself: "is this worth $235 ($370 initial price - $100 rebate -$35 restocking fee) and another 10 months for upgrade eligibility?". Well the little annoyances were enough for me to say "No". So it is back to my Pre - for which I have a renewed respect, despite the horrible headset issue. I will attempt to patiently wait for the next WebOS "superdevice". I'm not sure if I can for a year though - but honestly, my experience with Android has reduced its luster, making it easier to wait.