Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Surely you jest. Have you seen the WebOS core apps? Email isn't even in landscape 15 months after launch and counting.

The fact is, no one makes huge improvements to core apps after an OS launch until there is a major, major revision of the OS. Why compete against third party developers who are more dedicated and skilled?

Oh, like 1.4.5?

They don't. The manufacturers and the carriers do. Sprint got Froyo on the HTC Sense-enabled Evo before Motorola and Verizon could get it on the stock original Droid. Sprint and HTC made it a priority. Motorola and Verizon did not. ATT and Verizon Pre Pluses are now currently languishing in this same hell. The only devices exempt from this are iPhones and carrier-agnostic developer units like the Nexus One.
    But when 1.4.5 was out, we had it like 2 weeks after it was done. 2.2 Android came out, I think April, and here we are in September and a brand new device, the Epic, doesn't have it.

Iphone email in IOS 3+ is excellent.

Email is the #1 driver of smartphones. It put BB on the map.

That being said, the calendar on the Pre is shameful and is completely embarrassing to use in public to make a future dated appointment.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    But when 1.4.5 was out, we had it like 2 weeks after it was done. 2.2 Android came out, I think April, and here we are in September and a brand new device, the Epic, doesn't have it.
    And that's because the Epic is not "brand new", but is merely a new rebranding with carrier-requested customizations (which add to time-to-market) of the Samsung Galaxy S, which was announced in March and released in June with deep Samsung customization that could not be converted in the blink of an eye (Froyo was also officially released in June. There were a number of unofficial Nexus One builds before then).

And again, 1.4.5 is not out to every Palm device. A good many of them do not have it available, and have no timeframe as to when it will be available. Very few handsets are exempt from carriers and/or manufacturers holding updates hostage in testing.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Hmm, sounds like something is wrong with the App you are using. I run music programs all the time in the background and never have an issue.

Not sure what you are referring to and this is likely dependent upon how this "tweak" is packaged? I've loaded numerous custom keyboards and various "tweaks" and very few create a program icon.

After using the EPIC for about an hour there were certain things I like about it but I much Prefer Sense (even over AOSP/LancherPro/ADW.Launcher). AS someone else mentioned there is more to Sense than just the launcher. Which reminds me, the sms response to a call is also available on the EVO. But these UI layers/launchers are really about personal preference.

I do agree. Not sure why so little energy is spent on refining this portion of the OS (for both Palm and Android). Basic things like "mark all as read", "delete all", etc. are not available on the stock experience. Email, Web browsing and Phone calls are the 3 primary functions and seem to lack the refinement/polish you would expect/like.
    It just happened again. I was playing a spongebob video with the stock epic media player. I hit the home button, launched another app. Then hit the home button and there is no video player to go back to. Just the file manager to select a video and start from the beginning.

The video player showed in task manager but the stock task manager doesn't allow you to switch to an app. I installed 'advanced task killer' which does and behold, on that app, the video player doesn't show as running although it does on the stock task manager...

***?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    ii love webos and am not a fan at all of android the OS is@unintuitive and doesn't feel very next gen like webos or even ios. That said, my phones front speaker doesn't work and I need a new phone with reliable hardware. I'm waiting patiently for a new webos phone but I migt have to switc to android for a short time and the epic would be the best choice. If a new webos phone came out I could always sell it on ebay for 400 like people are doin for the evo. I'd still end up spending more but I need a working phone more and I rely on my smartphone and I figure if I get a nice phone it'll be easier to sell later too. Anyway still would prefer an announcement at least... I think that's al that palm needs to keep people from jumping.
    @rexalbel - Just a thought: I bought my Pre on Sprint's launch day and had it replaced with a refurb after 9 months. The speaker quit working (pretty much like you describe yours is now) about 1 week before one year (total) on the Pre. I was too busy to get to the store in time, but a few weeks ago I went in (hoping it might just be a stuck headphone jack). It wasn't, but to my surprise the Sprint store said my phone was still under warranty. (Maybe this was because my first refurb was shipped from Palm?) In any case, bring the phone into the store and see if they can fix it. Maybe if you are lucky (like me) they'll have your phone still listed as being under the warranty!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Well that was fast.
    Returned the epic.

Bought a used pixi. (Which I like MUCH better than the pre)

I will miss swype and the horde of apps.. But for the fluidity and ease WebOS can't be beat.

I like being able to pause the podcast from the notification bar while the phones locked.
    I LOVE the touchstone in my car.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Well that was fast.
    Returned the epic.

I will miss swype and the horde of apps.. But for the fluidity and ease WebOS can't be beat.

I like being able to pause the podcast from the notification bar while the phones locked.
    Really a pixi?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Really a pixi?
    Yeah. What? Huh? that's right

It's better built, with a better keyboard, smaller size, runs all the apps I want and feels faster.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Yeah. What? Huh? that's right

It's better built, with a better keyboard, smaller size, runs all the apps I want and feels faster.
    I'm just sayin that because my experience with the device was terrible. Can you tell me how the pdk games are on it?
    Well that was fast.
    Returned the epic.

So i'm assuming Epic's stock mp3 app doesn't have a lock screen player?

More reasons i'm happy i went with Evo instead. Though there are a bunch of MP3 player apps that do have a lock screen.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Pre enthusiast but this Epic has blind sided me and I am considering getting it. I just can't stand that Palm has not even leaked out anything new for WebOS, and my Pre is falling apart. I don't want to spend $100 on a new one with insurance. I just don't want to lose this Pre with the Touchstone and the awesome multitasking, but I can't stand Palm anymore. They have lost many customers and at this rate, I think that even the most die hard WebOS developers on Pre central are going to have to throw in the towel soon.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    People have been considering it here for a while now.

<<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    People have been considering it here for a while now.

<<Thread Moved>>
    Thanks!! I knew it had to be discussed. I just didn't search first!
    I am a launch date pre user and I love webos... But I had the chance to compare my pre to an epic today at my local sprint store,and let me tell you I was blown away.my pre is all patched up with the 1gig kernal and was no match for the epic.It almost seem generic next to the epic.The animated backgrounds for instance just don't even compare to the live backgrounds on the epic.Gonna give hp/palm 1 more week then I am done!!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about it. The epic needs 2.2 upgrade first and then I'll get serious about considering epic over my pre. I have a couple more months before my upgrade, so plenty of time to consider, think and research.

I really hope palm has something soon, so I have a choice and I don't just have to think android.
    I liked the keyboard but that was about it. I played with the phone in a Sprint store yesterday for a solid 30 minutes but I left feeling like the phone was cheap, gimmicky, and just an overall terrible UX.

More and more the iPhone 4 is looking appealing. However, AT&T is not.
    If you don't mind a 10$/mo extra charge for faster data... go for it and report back on how you like the notifications, task switching, music playback, application stability, battery life, and one handed typing. Some of these items can be improved if you void the warranty and root the phone, though. Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by konsole; 09/09/2010 at 06:22 PM.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

I went today and played. If I pushed the phone closed with my left finger the display tweeked and the phone wouldn't close. The keyboard way too spread out and the space bar too small, you have to reach for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Pre enthusiast but this Epic has blind sided me and I am considering getting it. I just can't stand that Palm has not even leaked out anything new for WebOS, and my Pre is falling apart. I don't want to spend $100 on a new one with insurance. I just don't want to lose this Pre with the Touchstone and the awesome multitasking, but I can't stand Palm anymore. They have lost many customers and at this rate, I think that even the most die hard WebOS developers on Pre central are going to have to throw in the towel soon.
    If HP stops making cell phones or putting WebOS on cell phones, come back and tell us about it.
    An Epic with 2.2 update would be a competitor to the webOS 2.0 device for me. I have messed with droid x and incredibles, and there are just some things I cannot stand about android after experiencing webOS.

Especially backswipes.
    Sprint Pre - Starfighter Kernel
    I really like it, I have played with the Hero (my kids) and love the things it can do. Rooted one, doubled the speed, and loved the 2.2 coming out. As far as the Epic, it
    is awesome, the screen so much brighter.
    I am leaning toward going there, I really love the ease of use of Palm, had them since day one, and I mean Palm, not just the Pre. But the apps, and I do mean useful ones
    (voice everything, fun and useful apps) are growing and will catch the IPhone.
    I feel it is the future, you can customize to your heart's desire, a little more complicated
    than Pre, but I'm new to it, and it would only get easier with time, sort of like redoing
    my phone everytime it breaks - I'm on 6 so getting faster.
    Developers will never do these things for Palm, due to sheer numbers, it will be impossible to catch up regardless of how much money HP throws at them.