Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    I played with an epic today and I love the hardware but not enough to drop $250 and go through the hassle of learning how tonavigate the android os. I'm waiting on the new webos phone for sure. Withe knowledge that it will be on par hardware wise. I will say that as far as I'm concerned if I had to choose right now I'd go with the epic for sure.
    Are you saying that even with an upgrade it's $250?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Are you saying that even with an upgrade it's $250?
    Yes... that is correct, although you can get it for $224 at a Sam's Club if you are a member.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I'm assuming you are in the Tidewater area?

Manassas and Arlington are DC suburbs with pretty big population bases.

And Chesterfield and Mechanicsville are in the Richmond area.

Woodbridge is kinda odd but was probably due to population growth (new tower)?
    They should also turn on 4g in the Tri-cities of Virginia because of Ft. Lee.
    Glad to hear you got it replaced easily. Check out Beautiful Widgets for a clock/weather home screen option.
    Thanks for the tip... it gave me exactly what I was looking for. I am very impressed with the clock/weather widget as well as the many skin options and the weather live wallpaper that is available for free if Beatiful Widgets is purchased. Another cool feature is being able to program the alarm clock to launch when I touch the clock and the accu weather forecast when I touch the weather area.

I have also purchased...

Launcher Pro Plus (got rid of the Samsung overlay and programmed my own home row and launcher pages).

Docs to Go full unlock, $14.99 is a bit pricey but it is what it is, although the Thinkfree Office that came on the phone has some good functionality (like pinch to zoom).

Dr. Web for Android -I don't know if viruses are a problem on Android OS but with so many apps out there better safe than sorry.

I think that is everything paid so far. I have downloaded a number of free apps as well. The more I can customize it the better I like it.

Thanks for your help guys.
    Lookout Antivirus Security is another popular AV.

I personally do not use one, since I am generally very judicious about installing apps.

If you are so inclined and once root is available on the EPIC, you may be very happy with custom Rom's/Theme's. However themeing and loading custom ROM's is not as user friendly on Android (when compared to Preware/webOS).

Here is an example homescreen (on the EVO) with Beautiful Widgets and Pure Calendar (similar to a WM today screen). I use this scene (currently) during work.

EDIT: BTW Launcher Pro and ADW.Launcher are the most popular. I understand TouchWiz can be disabled fairly easily on the Epic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lookout Antivirus Security is another popular AV.

I personally do not use one, since I am generally very judicious about installing apps.

If you are so inclined and once root is available on the EPIC, you may be very happy with custom Rom's/Theme's. However themeing and loading custom ROM's is not as user friendly on Android (when compared to Preware/webOS).

Here is an example homescreen (on the EVO) with Beautiful Widgets and Pure Calendar (similar to a WM today screen). I use this scene (currently) during work.

EDIT: BTW Launcher Pro and ADW.Launcher are the most popular. I understand TouchWiz can be disabled fairly easily on the Epic.
    whoa whoa whoa, that 85 in the notifcation bar... is that the % of battery life left? how did you get that because i'm really missing that from my pre.
  7.    #227  
    ...If you are so inclined and once root is available on the EPIC, you may be very happy with custom Rom's/Theme's...
    How do you get the cool Battery percentage indicator instead of the kludgy green glob.

- Craig
    In case others are interested.
    ** This requires root and nand unlock **
    *** Use at your own risk! ***

One click root for the Epic 4G! v2.2.1 Now has Busybox & remount scripts! - xda-developers

You load (flash) a custom framework.

I'm using this one:
    framework-res_HTC_2.2-signed.zip

From this post.
    [MOD][26-Aug] Super Circle Battery with % |Version A, B, C, D, E & F| Desire 2.2 ROM - xda-developers

Edit: Looks like that thread has changed a good bit over the past few weeks. I can PM/email the original framework-res_HTC_2.2-signed.zip if anyone is interested. It works with the stock HTC ROM.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 09/02/2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes... that is correct, although you can get it for $224 at a Sam's Club if you are a member.
    Thank you. I have a Sam's Club membership, but for a phone that is already going to cost me more per month just to activate it and have it on, I don't want to also pay more upfront.
    Okay, I used the one click root and am now rooted with Titanium Backup, Superuser and Adfree installed.

What next and where do I find the homebrew community?
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    You'll find a lot of your P|C buddies over at androidcentral.com.

For the real, hardcore, dev stuff, you need xda-developers and sdx-developers.

I just rooted my Epic last night and set up wifi tethering. I'm kinda afraid to do much else with it though. None of the stuff is very mature at this point. Hopefully within a month or two we will start getting some custom ROMs and that sort of thing. There doesn't appear to be a shortage of enthusiasm for this device though.
    Yep, I installed Adfree and wifi tethering as well. I have downloaded the current recovery ROM with additional files and instructions to return to stock if needed. Once everything gets stable I will likely try it just so I know how to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's going to be the same problem with the Epic at first, too. I'm kinda wary about buying any new phone on Sprint until supplies settle down.
    Actually, I've been waiting for an EVO since launch. Called sprint yesterday, Epic already shipped to my house

So no, no supply problems with the epic here
    Picked up my Epic and didn't even think about a Pre vs Epic thread. Haven't read through the 13 pages but there are two features right out of Palm's book.

1. Sorely missing from webOS: "Dismiss call with a text message". Saw that and thought it was amazing Samsung can figure that out, but Palm couldn't carry it over from PalmOS

2. From the webOS playbook: Radio toggles in the Notification drop down menu. Wifi, BT, 4g and GPS in a bar across the top of the notification menu. Reminded me of the drop down menus in webOS but done a little differently.

PureCal agenda widget is the best agenda widget out there. Completely customizable and it can scroll in launcher pro which is pretty cool. I have a translucent black background with white text. It looks slick on the home screen with sports tap up top and then Five icons going down the right side on top of the four icons on the bottom dock. You can enable five rows on the home screen with launcher pro. Makes my main home screen extremely functional.

Google voice has a great app to if you use them. I use it instead of the stock visual voicemail. Regardless, that's two options that are free and full featured that you don't get on webOS unless you pay for YouView.

Battery life is better than the Evo. I'm not a gamer, but Asphalt 5 is pretty smooth. The screen just pops. Could care less about 'adjusting browser brightness' as someone mentioned as a negative. I have the evo and have posted pictures on androidforums (better than androidcentral IMHO) with both screens at auto brightness and max brightness. The Epic wins easily. While the Evo might "seem" brighter, it's really the lack of black levels and less color that make it brighter. It's like someone whitewashed the entire screen. If you really like that brightness, you're someone that thinks the picture on the tv's in Best Buy are just awesome. Had my epic at the beach yesterday and had zero issue reading the screen through a zip loc bag while typing on the keyboard through the bag as well. Couldn't do that on the Evo.

Jorte is also a nice calendar app that should remind many of Palm OS. I have the PureCal widget showing my appointments at a glance at about a month out. And then on another home screen I have the month view of the jorte calendar for when I need to analyze the big picture.

Some people need to realize that TouchWiz and Sense are more than just launchers. They add functionality to the vanilla android OS. Dismissing a phone call with a text msg is not vanilla android. That's a benefit of a TouchWiz improvement. The radio toggles in the notification menu are a TouchWiz improvement. The black on white cleaner email and text messaging on the Evo are a benefit of Sense. Better IMAP folder support on the Evo is a benefit of Sense. There's a lot more. So to dismiss either Sense or TouchWiz as just a launcher is doing both a disservice.

Yes the Epic is at 2.1 for now, but it will get 2.2. The Evo is ahead of it, but the Epic just came out about a week ago. So it will get the extra functionality.

The keyboard is fairly easy to type on. I took to it easier than I took to the Moment's. Though looking at the HTC worldphone slider that's coming to Verizon it doesn't seem to hold a candle to it.

Milo had a great post describing multitasking. My only complaint is it doesn't always seem to be consistent. When I go back to email I'm not always where I left off. Sometimes I'm back to a different account or if I was in a specific email I'm back at the email list. Going back to the browser is always dead on. And I'd download Dolphin Browser HD. It's much smoother than the stock browser, tabs are easier than windows, and it just seems nicer all around.

I didn't like K-9 for mail. It seems to always have sync issues for me, and it just looks busy. webOS email is still the best email out there. Sense is nice because it's a super clean interface and you get the better folder support, but you lose the integrated inbox that is present in stock android. And why stock android mail doesn't allow you to reverse the colors is beyond me. Seems so basic, and I really don't like white text on a black background.

And yes, I can edit docs. But we'll see how that works out after BB fully takes over. There were a lot of integration promises made by DataViz for an upcoming update. Will be interesting to see if they still follow through on that.

In regards to the fluidity of webOS and all those OS comparisons. Once you get your home screens setup, you can cruise around with ease. Only things that are important to you can be on your screens. And with live widgets, toggle widgets and such, the instant access to info quickly makes you forget the things you miss about webOS.

It's such a shame there is no new webOS hardware being leaked, announced or what not. It's a bigger travesty they are hyping a tablet to boot. Who in their right mind would buy a tablet when they can't even produce a new phone? The phones drive tablet sales. Apple has shown that and Android will show that as well. Dumb strategy if you ask me. It's an even bigger travesty that Sprint still doesn't have Plus versions and is still trying to milk the 1st gen hardware on its customers especially with the Evo and Epic out there. They should pay customers to take either phone since they'll be stuck with it for a full year from now.

The $10 extra? Suck it up. You still enjoy the best prices in the industry for what you get. And when you need the benefits of 4g, it's there. I honestly use 4g about 20% of the time. It's all the other functionality of the phone I use. 4g just helps every now and then.

I haven't rooted yet so I haven't added in the free wireless tethering, but I have an Overdrive so I don't really need to do it. I rooted my Evo early, but I haven't found the need to to that on the Epic yet.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Ok so after owning the pre for a year i decided to make the switch to the epic 4g on launch day. For those for those of you with epic's or really any phone with android on it juice defender is a must have it's doubled the life of my epic, but without it the battery life was comparable to my pre a little better but i wouldn't say by much. Overall i've had a very good experience with the epic so far. Great hardware, a decent os that works not a bad replacement for the pre.
    haven't needed juice defender as of yet and have been getting better battery life than I've had with the Pre and the Evo. Sports Tap is the only active widget I really use. Other than that, I haven't had issues. The spare battery charger and two cheap batteries go for $10 on ebay, fyi.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I just switched my Pre for The Epic.

The keyboard is bigger, but I'm not sure if I can type faster or more accurately. Of course I need to give it a few weeks to be fully used to it. Having to rotate landscape to type means I'm often tempted to stick with the on screen keyboard for short stuff.

BIgger keyboards means more stretching of the thumb to reach keys in the middle. It also has some dumb key placment like the a isn't indented from the Q, and I get a stupid smiley key but have to use function for "@".

Has a real nice click.

Personally, it might look ugly as sin, but the Blackberry Torch Keyboard on the Epic would probably work better. Gives you a wider keyboard than the cramped pre because the screen is larger, but stays portrait and has the great domed/clickyness blackberry is known for. Would also have plenty of 'length' for a real number row that is missing on the Pre.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I like USB near the speaker out on top. This way I have both power and interface to my car audio system in one direction which is much neater than the 90 degree mess when my pre was connected to power and audio.

I do think the epic power button should be where the pre one is.
    Mark F Chinsky
    you can get up angle and left angle microUSB cables too. along with a right angle 1/8" jack for audio and you have a nice clean top of the phone.

If the Torch is getting mentioned, I'll take the Dell Lightning instead:
    Last edited by crogs571; 09/05/2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I returned two Epic 4Gs today and went back to the Palm Pre. The Android OS is just so lacking for what I need the phone for. The email client for non Gmail is terrible and the calendar application isn't that good. I did not like the keypad on the Epic and reading text on it wasn't that clear. The Android UI is another problem.

I hope Palm can bring something really good to the table because now I am convinced that they do have the best software on the market.