Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 453
  1. #201  
    You can easily throw on Launcher Pro, and have a scrolling dock of icons at the bottom, and/or throw on Power Strip and access them with a longpress in any app. No need to jump back to the homescreens for everything.
  2. jameswerk's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #202  
    Gave the Epic a try today at my local Sprint store (they had two on display next to their one Evo). Screen was beautiful, size was better than Evo IMHO. Landscape slider was roomy for typing with two hands but I find I use my Pre one handed a lot and is easier to type on one handed with just one thumb.

    My top three reasons Pre is better: 1. True multitasking with cards 2. Touchstone charging/mounting in car and at home 3. PreCentral community
  3. #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswerk View Post
    Gave the Epic a try today at my local Sprint store (they had two on display next to their one Evo). Screen was beautiful, size was better than Evo IMHO. Landscape slider was roomy for typing with two hands but I find I use my Pre one handed a lot and is easier to type on one handed with just one thumb.

    My top three reasons Pre is better: 1. True multitasking with cards 2. Touchstone charging/mounting in car and at home 3. PreCentral community
    Android has this super-awesome drag down notification screen that requires you to clear all or... yeah... NONE. I have a freshly activated EPIC 4G with a sad pre without data service sitting next to it (I wouldn't sell it back to sprint for <40$, their offer). Android 2.1 is junk. No copying text in the browser. 2 rotation orientations instead of all 4. No real multitasking. Tap the battery icon and will you find out what you got left? No... actually nothing happens. Switching between apps requires holding a button for a time to get into the last 6 you had open, have to open a task manager to dismiss an app. WebOS has annoying gray theme to default cards and android/epic has annoying white on black text (no greener on this side).
    What does it have going for it? Good first party google apps! moving backgrounds! Android is the wetoddit (pardon my french) child of the mobile OS world.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

  4. #204  
    Picked up an Epic today. I miss a lot of the features of WebOS (elegant multitasking, gestures), and I was really digging the speed at 1ghz, but in terms of hardware, the Epic is in an entirely different league.

    If Palm/HP were to release a device with a similar hardware profile, I'd certainly be keenly interested in returning to WebOS.
  5. #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Picked up an Epic today. I miss a lot of the features of WebOS (elegant multitasking, gestures), and I was really digging the speed at 1ghz, but in terms of hardware, the Epic is in an entirely different league.

    If Palm/HP were to release a device with a similar hardware profile, I'd certainly be keenly interested in returning to WebOS.
    100% this. I switched to the Epic too because my Pre got wet and wasn't working properly. So far I am not that happy with Android. WebOS is superior by far. I'm sure droid will grow on me and I'll learn to live with it but if Palm makes an announcement regarding the release of new hardware prior to sept 30 (my 30 day mark) i'll return my Epic and wait for the new palm device.
  6. #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Picked up an Epic today. I miss a lot of the features of WebOS (elegant multitasking, gestures), and I was really digging the speed at 1ghz, but in terms of hardware, the Epic is in an entirely different league.

    If Palm/HP were to release a device with a similar hardware profile, I'd certainly be keenly interested in returning to WebOS.
    Hardware is important, but if you don't have the software to use it, it's kinda pointless. Thats not to say that Android is bad software, but if you like WebOS better, why buy a phone with great hardware and an interface you aren't keen on? Unless you are talking reliability of course.
  7. JrrInTN's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #207  
    I picked up an Epic for my wife yesterday to replace her 755P. She tried the Pre in February and (unbelievably to me) didn't like it at all so took it back after trying it about 3 weeks. We were going to get her an EVO, but could never find one in stock so... EPIC it is.

    So far, she really likes it a lot better than the Pre. She really doesn't have a lot of need for multitasking and likes the dedicated "buttons" for home, etc.

    As for me... I'm jealous of the wonderful screen the Epic has, as well as its voice search/calling features. Other than that, for most of the reasons already stated in posts throughout this thread I'll definately be waiting for the next WebOS device to replace my Pre. (i.e. multitasking, cards, gestures, notifications, etc., etc., are SO much nicer on WebOS. Geez, you can't even tell the % of battery left on Android phones without going going several clicks into a phone status menu! -- clicking the battery icon does NOTHING!)
  8. #208  
    I picked up an Epic yesterday and so far here are my thoughts...

    Pros:

    Nice big keyboard, takes some getting used to but works well.
    I like having the main system keys on the sides of the keyboard.
    Screen is amazing. I love the clarity and quality, the size is just about right too.
    The slider feels pretty solid
    Speed is pretty good
    Nice integration with Google apps
    32G SD capability is nice and the card is NOT located underneath the battery (like the EVO).

    CONS:

    This is my first experience in Android 2.1 and frankly it SUCKS (Froyo on the EVO is much better but still not WebOS).
    No really usable multitasking (if it exists it isn't intuitive)
    The UI isn't very attractive and I can't find very many ways to customize or change it within the OS itself.
    The messaging and email apps both look like they are several years old and aren't very clean and easy to follow.
    The bottom system touch keys on the face of the phone are not responsive at all. Mine may be defective but it takes several taps (3-8) to get a tap on the home button to register. (very frustrating)
    While there is a form of universal search, it doesn't offer the same level of quick accessibility that WebOS does. Like when typing a name to send an sms to...

    And the biggest shortcoming of all... NO ANGRY BIRDS!!! I've really gotten addicted. Last night I played on my now off network Pre for over an hour before bed.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  9. #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post
    Geez, you can't even tell the % of battery left on Android phones without going going several clicks into a phone status menu! -- clicking the battery icon does NOTHING!)
    You can install any of a number of battery widgets or install one of the apps that put the percentage in the notification bar or one of the apps that make it part of your very wallpaper. It's cumbersome out-of-the-box, but gives you the option to optimize it - also out of the box - to whatever you find most efficient.
  10. #210  
    • Virgina: Arlington, Chesterfield, Manassas, Mechanicsville, Richmond, Woodbridge

    Talk about picking the most irrelevant cities in Virginia to turn on 4G. Well, minus Richmond.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11. #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I picked up an Epic yesterday and so far here are my thoughts...

    Pros:

    Nice big keyboard, takes some getting used to but works well.
    I like having the main system keys on the sides of the keyboard.
    Screen is amazing. I love the clarity and quality, the size is just about right too.
    The slider feels pretty solid
    Speed is pretty good
    Nice integration with Google apps
    32G SD capability is nice and the card is NOT located underneath the battery (like the EVO).

    CONS:

    This is my first experience in Android 2.1 and frankly it SUCKS (Froyo on the EVO is much better but still not WebOS).
    No really usable multitasking (if it exists it isn't intuitive)
    The UI isn't very attractive and I can't find very many ways to customize or change it within the OS itself.
    The messaging and email apps both look like they are several years old and aren't very clean and easy to follow.
    The bottom system touch keys on the face of the phone are not responsive at all. Mine may be defective but it takes several taps (3-8) to get a tap on the home button to register. (very frustrating)
    While there is a form of universal search, it doesn't offer the same level of quick accessibility that WebOS does. Like when typing a name to send an sms to...

    And the biggest shortcoming of all... NO ANGRY BIRDS!!! I've really gotten addicted. Last night I played on my now off network Pre for over an hour before bed.
    I'm surprised about the key press issue.

    Handcent and Chomp are the two most popular messaging Apps. I personally use Handcant it has tons of features.
    K-9 is a better email client and similar to that of the Pre (integrated inbox, etc.).

    Universal Search on Android can be customized and I would highly recommend tailoring it to your preferences.

    Angry Birds is in beta as we speak!
  12. #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    • Virgina: Arlington, Chesterfield, Manassas, Mechanicsville, Richmond, Woodbridge

    Talk about picking the most irrelevant cities in Virginia to turn on 4G. Well, minus Richmond.
    I'm assuming you are in the Tidewater area?

    Manassas and Arlington are DC suburbs with pretty big population bases.

    And Chesterfield and Mechanicsville are in the Richmond area.

    Woodbridge is kinda odd but was probably due to population growth (new tower)?
  13. #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Hardware is important, but if you don't have the software to use it, it's kinda pointless. Thats not to say that Android is bad software, but if you like WebOS better, why buy a phone with great hardware and an interface you aren't keen on? Unless you are talking reliability of course.
    Android is perfectly usable, and it's got way more functionality w/r/t apps and stuff. But it's not as elegant as WebOS.

    But, really, it's very difficult to even glance at a 3.1" screen again after using the 4" super amoled for even a little while.
  14. #214  
    I played with an epic today and I love the hardware but not enough to drop $250 and go through the hassle of learning how tonavigate the android os. I'm waiting on the new webos phone for sure. Withe knowledge that it will be on par hardware wise. I will say that as far as I'm concerned if I had to choose right now I'd go with the epic for sure.
  15. #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Android is perfectly usable, and it's got way more functionality w/r/t apps and stuff. But it's not as elegant as WebOS.

    But, really, it's very difficult to even glance at a 3.1" screen again after using the 4" super amoled for even a little while.
    This. Especially that last sentence.
  16. #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I'm assuming you are in the Tidewater area?

    Manassas and Arlington are DC suburbs with pretty big population bases.

    And Chesterfield and Mechanicsville are in the Richmond area.

    Woodbridge is kinda odd but was probably due to population growth (new tower)?
    Lol, no, Southside. I'm actually the one living in the irrelevant city (have I posted about my reception issues enough?), but I had to scoff at the DC suburbs.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I'm surprised about the key press issue.

    Handcent and Chomp are the two most popular messaging Apps. I personally use Handcant it has tons of features.
    K-9 is a better email client and similar to that of the Pre (integrated inbox, etc.).

    Universal Search on Android can be customized and I would highly recommend tailoring it to your preferences.

    Angry Birds is in beta as we speak!
    I had to take it back to Sam's Club to get it replaced. They tried and the touch area buttons failed for them as well. The new one works like it is supposed to. I will check out those apps. I especially like the integrated inbox.

    Can't wait for Angry Birds! (never thought I would say it till I played it).

    I am getting a little more used to navigating android 2.1. Still not liking it though. We'll see.

    Also, I really like the HTC clock with weather on my wife's EVO. I found one in the app marketplace named H7C clock/weather but even though it showed installed I could never figure out how to get it turned on.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  18. #218  
    Glad to hear you got it replaced easily. Check out Beautiful Widgets for a clock/weather home screen option.

    Other Apps worth checking out.
    SwitchPro Widget
    Beautiful Widgets
    Last Call Widget
    Pure Calendar Widget
    Smooth Calendar
    Android Agenda Widget
    Widget Locker Lockscreen
    Robo Defense
    Flightview
    Multicon Widget
    Titanium Backup (needs root, but a must have if rooted)
    Apps Organizer
    Dropbox
    Dolphin Browser HD
    AppBrain App Market
    Vlingo
    aCar
    JuicePlotter (very helpful in monitoring battery usage)
    Juice Defender (allows profiles to conserve battery)
    MixZing
    Astro File Manager
  19.    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I picked up an Epic yesterday and so far here are my thoughts...

    CONS:

    This is my first experience in Android 2.1 and frankly it SUCKS (Froyo on the EVO is much better but still not WebOS).
    No really usable multitasking (if it exists it isn't intuitive)
    ...
    Pastor R,

    True multitasking would be separate processors with their own dedicated memory and resources. Unless you have a server farm, you are not really Multitasking. What all the best phones today do is Time Share. Some make you remember to keep everything open. Some do the work for you.

    Multitasking for most users is emailing, texting friends, and chatting on Facebook all at the same time, all while listening to your music. If an email, text, friend request, or calendar alarm comes in, you will be notified and reply without skipping a beat.

    Android Multitasking is so simple that you don't know it is even running. It is so efficient that dormant apps draw almost no power. Android Multitasking is so easy that there is nothing to learn. Just start opening apps.

    With two taps Android can jump between your last 6 apps. When the Epic gets 2.2, it will be 8 last apps like the EVO. But keep your favorite app icons on your home screen and you are two taps away from any of 16 apps.

    You are used to manually having to do your own multitasking. Android does it for you and you don't even know it is there.

    Want to know what is better a deck of cards?

    Not having to use a deck of cards.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/01/2010 at 11:42 PM.
  20. #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Pastor R,

    True multitasking would be separate processors with their own dedicated memory and resources. Unless you have a server farm, you are not really Multitasking. What all the best phones today do is Time Share. Some make you remember to keep everything open. Some do the work for you.

    Multitasking for most users is emailing, texting friends, and chatting on Facebook all at the same time, all while listening to your music. If an email, text, friend request, or calendar alarm comes in, you will be notified and reply without skipping a beat.

    Android Multitasking is so simple that you don't know it is even running. It is so efficient that dormant apps draw almost no power. Android Multitasking is so easy that there is nothing to learn. Just start opening apps.

    With two taps Android can jump between your last 6 apps. When the Epic gets 2.2, it will be 8 last apps like the EVO. But keep your favorite app icons on your home screen and you are two taps away from any of 16 apps.

    You are used to manually having to do your own multitasking. Android does it for you and you don't even know it is there.

    Want to know what is better a deck of cards?

    Not having to use a deck of cards.

    - Craig
    Thanks Craig... I get the technical aspects. I just got used to seeing my cards in card view on WebOS and liked that. I am also starting to get used to tap and hold on the home button to bring up the last apps opened as well as using the back button to actually close apps that I don't want running in the background. Having the home and back buttons that have the subtlety of either keeping the app running in the background or closing it is nice.

    Of course I put all of my everyday/allthetime apps on the home screen for easy access.

    It's growing on me.

    I am using Handcent SMS and K-9 email instead of the stock apps. If anyone has suggestions for better ones let me know. I will probably set my gmail up to pull all of my mail and just use it. I like the gmail app quite a bit.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions