Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    The EVO may be better on some levels, but if you compare Samsung's screen next to the HTC screen, it's not even close. The Samsung is just beautiful. Plus good luck finding a EVO. People will probably pay the fifty dollars, just so they are not waiting a month. My wife has actualy Ordered both and we are going to make up our mind when the first one arives. HTC has seriously dropped the ball on there supply lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's going to be the same problem with the Epic at first, too. I'm kinda wary about buying any new phone on Sprint until supplies settle down.
    Yup. Pre-orders are already closed... So it's going to be hard to find an Epic (if you did not Pre-order) for at least a month or two (Oct-Nov).

And this is happening for just about every high end Android phone and the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Yup. Pre-orders are already closed... So it's going to be hard to find an Epic (if you did not Pre-order) for at least a month or two (Oct-Nov).

And this is happening for just about every high end Android phone and the iPhone.
    You could always camp out the morning of. Interestingly enough, it seems that the Droid 2 is still in stock at Verizon Wireless' website 7 days after going on sale, so maybe there is hope.
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's going to be the same problem with the Epic at first, too. I'm kinda wary about buying any new phone on Sprint until supplies settle down.
    The EVO and now Epic are all hard to find. Samsung, HTC, and Motorola are making record numbers of each new model but it is a fraction of the demand.

Which makes the demand that much greater.

I do not think that they purposely are holding back production. In May there were 100,000 new Androids activated a day. In June it was 160,000 a day.

In July Google announced they were at 200,000 new Android activations a day. Every 11 days, more Androids are delivered than all the Pre's ever made.

They are at a production rate of 70 million Androids a year and it is no where near enough.

There is a huge amount of new manufacturing capacity coming online. By September they should be able to meet manufacturing targets of 300,000 Androids a day.

But the analysts say that will not be anywhere near enough by then.

If you really want an Epic and did not pre-order, call every store and get on as many waiting lists as you can. Starting August 31, call back every day to see if any have come in. Don't forget to try Sprint, Best Buy, Radio Shack, and even some Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs.

Or just follow the UPS trucks around...

- Craig
  4.    #184  
    Will the speeds be Epic?

The reviews say the Epic speeds are just as fast as the EVO.

The Pre Speedtest results with full bars seem to average from 500 to 1800 kbps: Pre Speedtests, More Pre Speedtests, and still more.

With full bars, my Pre gets about 800 kbps on our wimpy towers in the area. My EVO gets 1300 to 1800 kbps in 3G on the same towers. Some of that may be due to the speed of Android. This video compares loading Google Maps on a Pre and an old Hero. Note that the Hero's CPU is even slower than the Pre's.

My EVO on 4G is 4 Mbps to 5 Mbps but many report 10 Mbps+ on better towers.

The best DSL we can get this far out runs at around 2 Mbps. The EVO in 4G is twice that fast.

The Epic should be really fast even if you don't get 4G.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/20/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    I signed up also. Looking at the specs, the keyboard for me is the major difference and I have really come to like the 4.3" screen. A tough decision lies ahead.
  6.    #186  
    Sprint says that there is 4G in a number of markets. But users have found 4G service in a many unannounced markets as well. Some aren't even on the notification list.

The Sensorly app lets users map 3G and 4G service while they drive. It's like a GPS showing real coverage for any carrier. SO far, users have mapped 4G in 135 cities:

[EDIT] City list updated in post below. 20 new cities added.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/30/2010 at 10:05 AM.
  7.    #187  
    New Palm Pre Comparison threads have been added. Here are the most recent:

- 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate
    - w/Keyboards: 3.7" Droid 2 - 4" Samsung Epic
    After my pre bricked and put me through months of quirks Im getting the epic. Ill revisit webOS in a year or whenever HP/Palm get better hardware and smooth out some issues.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Here is CNET's break down though (feel free to add review links).

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) Cell Phone reviews - CNET Reviews

and the Evo:
    HTC Evo 4G - black (Sprint) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Again, it honestly looks like the two best android phones and both are on Sprint. Good stuff.
    Notice how Cnet changed their review and the review came from two different reviewers. The Epic is now 9 9 8 just like the Evo.
    Last edited by jamex; 08/29/2010 at 07:37 AM.
  10.    #190  
    The Epic 4G reviews say that the Epic has a better 4G radio than the EVO and so it should get better 4G coverage than even the current 4G maps.

Sprint maps only show some of the 4G markets. 4G towers have been found in many unannounced markets as well. Some areas aren't even on the notification list.

[EDIT] Updated coverage and city listing below. 20 new cities added.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/30/2010 at 10:07 AM.
    wow, 4G in l.a
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Notice how Cnet changed their review and the review came from two different reviewers. The Epic is now 9 9 8 just like the Evo.
    I think you can't go wrong with either...just depends on your needs.
  13.    #193  
    Over the weekend Sprint tunred on a bunch of new 4G towers.

The Sensorly app has now mapped 4G coverage in 155 cities:

California: Anaheim, Burbank, Fremont, Fullerton, Hayward, Los Angeles, Merced, Modesto, Roseville, San Francisco, San Jose, Tulare, Turlock
    Colorado: Arvada, Denver, Littleton
    Conn: Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury
    Deleware: Wilmington
    Florida: Daytona Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Holiday, Jacksonville, Miami, New Smyrna, Orange Park, Orlando, St Augastine, St Pete, Tampa
    Georgia: Atlanta, Johns Creek, Lawrenceville, Marietta, Milledgeville, Roswell
    Hawaii: Honolulu, Maui
    Idaho: Boise, Meridian, Nampa
    Illinois: Aurora, Belleville, Chicago, Crystal Lake, Edwardsville, Elgin, Joliet, Naperville, Waukegan
    Indiana: Dyer, East Chicago, Gary, Griffith
    Maryland: Annapolis, Baltimore, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Towson
    Mass: Boston, Brookline, Farmingham, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell, Medford, Salem, Weymouth
    Michigan: Grand Rapids, Walker, Wyoming
    Minn: Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minneapolis-St Paul
    Missouri: Arnold, Florissant, Independence, Kansas City, O'Fallon, St. Charles, St. Louis
    Nevada: Enterprise, Henderson, Las Vegas, Searchlight
    New Jersey: Edison, Elizabeth, Newark, Patterson, Plainfield,
    New York: New York, Rochester, Syracuse, White Plains
    NC: Apex, Asheboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Greensboro, High Point, Raleigh-Durham, Winston-Salem
    OH: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Fairfield, Westerfield
    Oregon: Beaverton, Eugene, Hillboro, Portland, Salem, WIlsonville
    Penn: Carnegie, Dormont, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Mt Oliver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Reading, York
    Rhode Island: Pawtucket, Providence, Warwick
    Tenn: Franklin, Hendersonville, Murfreesburo, Nashville
    Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Borger, Conroe, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denton, Houston, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, McKinney, Midland/Odessa, Pampa, Plano, San Antonio, Waco, Wichita Falls
    Utah: Layton, Ogden, Orem, Provo, Salt Lake City
    Virgina: Arlington, Chesterfield, Manassas, Mechanicsville, Richmond, Woodbridge
    Washington: Arlington, Bellingham, Ellensburg, Everett, Kennewick, Lynnwood, Marysville, Pasco, Richland, Richmond, Seattle, Tacoma, Yakima, Snohomish, Vancouver
    Washington D.C.

Check out the maps and you can see street-by-street if you will have 4G (or 3G).
    Note: New towers are often in testing and may not be on all of the time until that market is announced.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Just got back from the sprint store. Got to play with epic. I don't like the side slider. I want to see this screen size on the pre 2 with the vertical slider like pre 1.
    Evo is still better.
    Yeah...just played with one at a Sprint Store over lunch.

Man...once you start using a screen like that, it's haaaaard to go back to 3.1-inches. The difference is something else. The Sprint store I was at did actually have a Pre and Pixi on display, unlike some people's experiences here, but they were depowered and rather smudged/beat up.

It's scary fast, too. Samsung managed to make Android look like a pretty colorful OS with their customizations. My only quibble are some of the default settings which are just baffling. Why they don't have the bottom buttons set to sync with the screen timeout by default is a mystery. Without it, the phone can be frustrating, and you have to know where to look in the menus to change the setting.

Also, the browser has a separate brightness control in its menu, and it's set low by default so you have to wonder why the main screen and the live ocean wallpaper looks so beautiful and liquid, yet the browsing is so dim unless - yet again - you know where to adjust this in the menus.

Of course, this didn't stop ANYBODY from buying this thing. They were flying out of the door still my whole time there evn though they opened early.

I really, really, really hope Palm's next device has a comparable screen in vibrancy and size. With that and the Evo leading Sprint, I'm not sure a 3.1-3.5-inch "retina display" is going to do Palm any favors.
    Well Have you seen power consumption of AMOLED?

White backgrounds take up a SIGNIFICANT amount of power compared to dark backgrounds. Smart move by Samsung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Well Have you seen power consumption of AMOLED?

White backgrounds take up a SIGNIFICANT amount of power compared to dark backgrounds. Smart move by Samsung.
    I disagree, because I think it's more important to make a good visual and tactile first impression than anything else. Nobody starts adjusting their device for power consumption until after they've bought it and used it for a little while. This is the sort of thing that can confuse buyers and turn them off from purchasing the device in the first place.
    True but it's also the type of thing that has someone returning the phone because it only lasts 6 hours.

They likely need to find a balance.
    And the lowered brightness certainly is not something most people would even notice seeing how bright the super AMOLED screen is.
    that landscape keyboard is hard to type on 1 handed. The keys aren't offset so it makes it more difficult.

Also the bottom launcher icons can NOT be changed

more differences later..

Multi tasking on android is a pain, IMHO No device does it better than pre..