1.    #1  
    Looks like this device may be my next PDA. Want a color device with CF cards. Color Pocket PC, Palms and Zaurus too expensive. Sony's are out because of the memory stick only.

Nice color screen(not TFT, which is why it is inexpensive).
    32 meg memory. 16 in flash and 16 in ram. OS is flashable. Also contact data and programs can be stored in flash. If battery goes, nothing is lost.

Uses CF cards.

Uses a stripped down version of WinCE 3.0. However, users have been able to load and run WinCE 3.0 programs by downloading certain files to the device. One user has Pocket Streets 2002 running on it.

Have to fiddle with the device to get programs not made for the BE300 to run.

A group of users are trying to get Linux to run on it.

Priced at $150 at Sam's club.

Been reading about the device at:

http://www.groom-family.com/phpBB2/index.php
    Beware, some PPC apps can be made to run on the BE300, but there are quite a few that can't. And because the BE300 is such a limited market, few developers can commit the resources need to make BE300 versions of their PPC apps.

Also keep in mind that 16MB RAM in a WinCE device is extremely limiting. That 16MB gets divided into memory for running programs and memory for storing data. You'll need at least 8MB for running programs so that leaves you only 8MB for storage. A CF card helps, but it won't be long before things start feeling pretty cramped.

If "pre-owned" isn't an issue for you, I would strongly advise picking up an older iPaq. You can pick up 3600 series iPaqs for under $200 and you'll get twice the RAM, lots of available accessories, the full PocketPC OS, and the option of switching to a stable Linux distribution that can run the exact same software found on the Zaurus.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by dkessler
    Beware, some PPC apps can be made to run on the BE300, but there are quite a few that can't. And because the BE300 is such a limited market, few developers can commit the resources need to make BE300 versions of their PPC apps.
    Thanks for your helpful input. That is one of my concerns

Also keep in mind that 16MB RAM in a WinCE device is extremely limiting. That 16MB gets divided into memory for running programs and memory for storing data. You'll need at least 8MB for running programs so that leaves you only 8MB for storage. A CF card helps, but it won't be long before things start feeling pretty cramped.
    Memory footprint is also a concern. Does mean that software for this device needs to be "lean".

If "pre-owned" isn't an issue for you, I would strongly advise picking up an older iPaq.
    Not an issue.

Bottom line is I want a color device. Prism 160x160 is dismal in today's PDA market.

As I said, Sony's are out because of memory stick only.

The BE300 is an interesting device and I wonder way CASIO did not promote it extensively. I just happen to stumble on it.

It is an interesting device. Especially for me as a programmer since I have access to CE developmental tools.
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    Memory footprint is also a concern. Does mean that software for this device needs to be "lean".
    Very much so And the fact is that most PPC apps aren't. Becuase PPC devices are "feature rich", apps tend to be designed the same way. Unfortunately, being "feature" rich does not lead to small memory footprints. One could argue that developers should be producing more efficient "Palm-like" apps, but that's not what the PPC market expects.

The BE300 is an interesting device and I wonder way CASIO did not promote it extensively. I just happen to stumble on it.
    PPC devices have only really gained broad market acceptance with the advent of the PocketPC 2000. PPC 2000 incorporates vast usability improvements over the prior generation of WinCE devices. The BE300 misses out on many of those improvements making it very hard to market. Rock-bottom prices are the only reason there's any interest at all in the device and with what must certainly be almost zero profit margin, it doesn't make much sense to pour money into promotion.

It is an interesting device. Especially for me as a programmer since I have access to CE developmental tools.
    Everyone has access to CE (and PocketPC) development tools Embedded VC++, Embedded Visual Basic, and the PPC 2000 and 2002 SDKs are all free downloads from Microsoft.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>