Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    Anyone see the new web ads for the Blackberry Torch? Looks like they have just taken the card metaphor from Palm and ran with it, even though its UI doesn't really make it that easy (at least I don't think it's that easy, though I'm not that familiar with Blackberry 6)

    The ad was on the FoxNews website, though I'm sure it's elsewhere.

    Thoughts?
  2. #2  
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yea I saw it and thought the same thing. I also thought that should have been palms first commerical.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  4. #4  
    her it is:


    Yep I was thinking just that. Palm better get advertising right next time... Droid x has a great commercial showing off mobile hotspot. Palm you so shoulda coulda.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/09/2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: fixed URL
  5. #5  
    Sad excuse for a commerical and sad excuse for a better new phone/OS etc. WebOS still way ahead of BB and IPhone. Just need new hardware and tweaks for the fluidity/speed of the OS.

    That commercial makes me love my Pre even more!


    Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  6. #6  
    That's pretty disgraceful. I just lost a bit of respect for RIM
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    That's pretty disgraceful. I just lost a bit of respect for RIM
    I'm curious. What do you find disgraceful?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I'm curious. What do you find disgraceful?
    Mainly because it's entirely misleading. BlackBerry doesn't have an UI that operates in the manner that their animation suggests (in fact, it doesn't merely suggest it, it illustrates it clearly and distinctly). If I was a prospective buyer, I would assume from this advertisement that I can swipe left and right to bring into focus the different apps running on my phone in the same way that webOS allows. As we all know, BlackBerry 6 does not allow this method of navigation.
  9. #9  
    weak.

    let the tools be fools and buy 'em up.

    I still want that slider and keyboard, though :-/
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Mainly because it's entirely misleading. BlackBerry doesn't have an UI that operates in the manner that their animation suggests (in fact, it doesn't merely suggest it, it illustrates it clearly and distinctly). If I was a prospective buyer, I would assume from this advertisement that I can swipe left and right to bring into focus the different apps running on my phone in the same way that webOS allows. As we all know, BlackBerry 6 does not allow this method of navigation.
    Wow - sensitive much? What is it with some Pre owners and their chip-on-the-shoulder inferiority complex? Palm doesn't have an OS that extends out of the top-and-bottom or sie-to-side of the phone in virtual space either, so why would RIM's abstract representation of it's ability to run different programs (clearly only one-at-a-time as depicted in the commercial) even register on a Pre owner's mind?

    Do you believe a Droid is really run by a robotic arm and there is a huge sphere of icon-sized programs running in the air above it? That's what one of their commercials showed.

    Do you believe the Pre can really be controlled with big arm-waving gestures against a floating virtual screen that remains in a fixed position in front of the user? That's what one of their commercials showed.

    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the entire world is ripping off the Palm Pre concept.
  11. #11  
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. I realize that the "screen images simulated" may not be unique to BB ads, but this is much more deceiving than just speeding up the UI (like Apple ads) or exaggerating for entertainment purpose (weird Palm or Droid ads). This ad shows nothing but the phone, and hails its browser and multitasking in a way that would lead many to believe that the experience would be somewhat similar.
  12. #12  
    Makes the Pre ads look like a total joke, that's with the figure skating reference included.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wow - sensitive much? What is it with some Pre owners and their chip-on-the-shoulder inferiority complex? Palm doesn't have an OS that extends out of the top-and-bottom or sie-to-side of the phone in virtual space either, so why would RIM's abstract representation of it's ability to run different programs (clearly only one-at-a-time as depicted in the commercial) even register on a Pre owner's mind?

    Do you believe a Droid is really run by a robotic arm and there is a huge sphere of icon-sized programs running in the air above it? That's what one of their commercials showed.

    Do you believe the Pre can really be controlled with big arm-waving gestures against a floating virtual screen that remains in a fixed position in front of the user? That's what one of their commercials showed.

    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the entire world is ripping off the Palm Pre concept.
    [Removed, with apologies]
    Last edited by errade; 08/13/2010 at 07:48 AM.
  14. #14  
    Way to keep the peace, by say saying he's the oversensitive one. Warkeepers, unite!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Way to keep the peace, by say saying he's the oversensitive one. Warkeepers, unite!
    [Removed, with apologies]
    Last edited by errade; 08/13/2010 at 07:48 AM.
  16. #16  
    He had a pretty good point in his post, actually. I thought the Torch had a cards interface, but then again I also thought Droids were run by robotic arms, so what do I know? I guess I don't know what a peacekeeper on these forums is. Maybe it's because I'm not an arsehole. I'm simply polite, kind and patient and like to see the forums become a warmer and friendlier place.

    My avatar is a smiley face.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Mainly because it's entirely misleading. BlackBerry doesn't have an UI that operates in the manner that their animation suggests (in fact, it doesn't merely suggest it, it illustrates it clearly and distinctly). If I was a prospective buyer, I would assume from this advertisement that I can swipe left and right to bring into focus the different apps running on my phone in the same way that webOS allows. As we all know, BlackBerry 6 does not allow this method of navigation.
    I can understand where you are coming from but keep in mind this is a commercial (not a demo). The is pretty much par for the course now days... and I think most people that have not used a Pre previously would not draw that conclusion (based just off this commercial).

    BB6 looks better than the previous OS's but it certainly is nothing ground breaking. For many corporate users, they are stuck with BB and any improvement is very welcome.
  18. #18  
    The commercial IS decieving, but, that's not atypical - the whole idea is to sell the concept to the viewer so that they want to find out more.

    Regarding Kupe's comment above about "over-reacting"... well.. I don't think any average person would have reason to believe that a robot arm comes packaged with every Droid, BUT, I DO believe that when they saw the Pre commercials where the man and the girl were walking and swiping cards, that it is TOTALLY implied that you can and will do that on the Pre..

    This Torch commercial lies somewhere in between the two... not necessarily stating that the user can flick away screens, but, rather, implying that they slide into place.. how that's done is the mystery in this commercial, and it LEADS the view to assume the obvious..

    IMO, there are going to be a LOT of disappointed Torch users due to this commercial.

    Would have been eaiser to buy Palm, if this was thier dream... lol.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  19. #19  
    you guys are reaching.

    Badly.
  20. #20  
    Guys, I just wanted to apologise for my earlier outbursts particularly to Kupe and Stung - I have removed the inflammatory comments. I was having something of a bad day

    Sorry bout that
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions