Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My old 32gb original Zune is not really keeping a charge anymore and I am considering one of the 2 above. I am also thinking I should maybe just wait to see exactly what HP/Palm are gonna end up coming out with for WebOS.
    Any thoughts? Advice?
    did you buy lots of muic from the zune store? If not, get the ipod for access to the app store. They have rhapsody and pandora...
    I'm waiting myself. I would suggest the same. With all the companies that hp has acumulated, I would not be at all surprised to see a pmp be released as well as the palmpad, maybe even a netbook all by christmas.
    Once 2.0 hits with the apis available I'm sure the floodgates will follow... And eagerly await it myself.
    for the mean time I suggest radiotime, pandora,etc and zumodrive and an extra battery or 2. The pre has pretty good audio out.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    It's hard to tell what Microsoft is up to..

Either they've
    1) given up on the PMP
    or
    2) are waiting to finish windows phone 7 and then sometime next year establish a unified platform from zune to phone 7. I say next year because the hardware for the two is different and so it'll take some time to merge the two platforms because their focus is on the phone.

Or.. just grab the established iPod Touch after the September launch. I suspect this will be a major revision (every other year they make leaps so that you'll feel like your current device is old)
    Why waste all that cash on a new Zune when you can just get a replacement battery kit with the tool for under $12. There are several places online that sell these kits...I have a 80gb Zune.

Amazon.com: zune battery replacement kit
    that's not even a hard choice. Ipod touch hands down.
    Depends what you need...if an overall entertainment device (read: apps) is what you are looking for....iPod duh.

However i think the overall Zune experience for music slaps the Touch around silly. (i have a Zune 80 myself).

However, i find apps on a touch mostly useless unless you game, the only apps i really have need the internet.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Why waste all that cash on a new Zune when you can just get a replacement battery kit with the tool for under $12. There are several places online that sell these kits...I have a 80gb Zune.

Amazon.com: zune battery replacement kit
    Thanks to all for your help! I will probably go this route for now. Never realized that was an option. LOL Thanks!
    apple will be refreshing the iPod line in September. facetime capable iPod touches? :]
    my first Apple product will likely be the new Touch.

would have bought last year if Steve thought we had deserved a camera yet.

if its like the iP4, it will be very cool.

WP7 will be the new Zune -- for better and worse.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Depends what you need...if an overall entertainment device (read: apps) is what you are looking for....iPod duh.

However i think the overall Zune experience for music slaps the Touch around silly. (i have a Zune 80 myself).

However, i find apps on a touch mostly useless unless you game, the only apps i really have need the internet.
    Hard to imagine that anyone prefers the music experience on the Zune (and no I don't use an iPod so save the flames). Those that I see promoting Zune tend to be using the "anything but apple" argument more than the "superior music experience" view.

In that light, I offer market opportunity based on the lack of popularity for Zune vs the overwhelming popularity of iPod:

http://hideapod.com/

I hope you enjoy this as intended...

/irony
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Hard to imagine that anyone prefers the music experience on the Zune (and no I don't use an iPod so save the flames). Those that I see promoting Zune tend to be using the "anything but apple" argument more than the "superior music experience" view.

In that light, I offer market opportunity based on the lack of popularity for Zune vs the overwhelming popularity of iPod:

/irony
    haha....why do you find it hard to imagine? Have you used both?

Brief history:

Bought an iPod 20gig in 2004...loved it. Didn't even realize i wanted all my music on me all the time before I got it....I was also a big fan of iTunes at the time.

Eventually my 20gig HDD sounded like it was getting the click of death. Taking forever to start songs or just never playing...i realized i had to retire it soon and I took a brief glance at a Zune 80 but ultimately said, why change a good thing. So I got an iPod Classic (80 gig) in 2008.

And that ended up being the reason I decided to try a zune.

I honestly had nothing but issues with it (either my bad luck or the product itself, no clue). Some songs refused to play (that played fine on my 20 gig) some files played in slow motion for some reason and i could never figure out why, the sound quality was a marked decrease from my 20 gig and iTunes simply got too resource heavy for what it was doing (i have a PC, i know the Mac iTunes runs a whole lot better).

I even tried exchanging it and still had issues. My cousin was looking for an iPod...and i said, you know what....$200 and its yours. He bought it on the spot....i looked on ebay and found a Zune 80 and downloaded the software.

I will admit, it took me almost a solid month to get used to the Zune software but at the same time I had been using iTunes for 5 ish years by this time?

But once i got used to everything i simply prefer the experience on a Zune. Some reasons why I think its a better MUSIC device/platform:

-Zune Subscription. This right here, if you are not doing the whole pirating of songs thing (lets be honest, a lot of people are) your best bet is a subscription service that integrates with all parts of Zune. You don't even have to download a song, you could stream it all if you wanted. Add the fact you get to keep 10 songs a month...its honestly a no brainer (unless you are simply not a subscription kind of person).

-Software: Lets get this clear..if you are a big music/artist fan and a fan of music discovery Zune simply out performs iTunes without a doubt in my mind. From something as simple as the Now Playing screen that pops up:

To the "artist connection" screen (this is where you can find similar artist or artist that inspired the currently playing artist...or any other similarities like that (like one of them could say "the beat was sampled from this artist")

Add to the fact you have a friends list you can maintain and you can glance at their music collection (and if you have a Zune pass, play any music you see). Along with their top plays and such...its a social music discovery (as cheesy as that sounds).

The software itself is more visual appealing than iTunes as well.

On the device itself (comparing Zune 80 to iPod Classic) the "squircle" controller is actually BETTER than the scroll wheel on the iPod. The UI is also more appealing and album art takes up the majority of the screen, where the iPod classic it took up such a small space. The screen is glass vs. iPods plastic. Its a brushed aluminum backing so you don't end up with scratches all over the device and wifi syncing means i can have my zune plugged into the living room speakers and sync from there.

Which also let me add, owning an Xbox360, Zune streams perfectly and keeps all my playlist. Very convenient.

I can't speak on ZuneHD but the touch response is the closest we've seen to the iPod Touch touch response and the UI is easily better than the iPod app on the touch without sacrificing usability. The real negative it seems to get is the lack of apps (which will probably change once Windows Phone 7 is out in the market).

Sorry this was a long write up, but i've gotten the "you must just hate apple" thing before.....when in reality...i took a chance to see the competition and it turns out i liked it better. I think others would too if they gave something else a chance.

I convinced my gf to get this instead of an iPod Shuffle:

Cheaper, expandable memory, has a screen. Only negative for her is not "easy" syncing with itunes, but she just drags and drops straight from iTunes into the folder.
    Hell, i'm not the only one who will have the opinons above:

Microsoft Zune HD vs. Apple iPod Touch | Page 2

Overall Winner: Microsoft Zune HD

Taken soley as a personal media player, the Zune HD outshines the iPod Touch in many ways. It’s lighter, brighter, well-engineered, solid, and if you want to pump 720p movies to your home high-def set, the Touch simply cannot compete. But for those who see the iPod Touch as more of a blank slate than a purpose-built PMP, and intend to use it as such, the Zune HD comes nowhere close to replacing the sheer flexibility and utility of Apple’s wonder box. And for those folks, 75,000 apps in the App Store may as well be 75,000 different reasons not to buy the Zune HD. But we didn’t come here to treat the Zune HD as a wannabe PDA, and with the categories rated as such, the Zune HD simply makes a better device.

As an all-around entertainment machine and productivity device, Apple’s iPod Touch remains the reigning champion of the touch screen.

For someone with no interesting in piddling around with apps, looking solely for the ultimate personal media player, the Zune HD truly makes a better buy.
    Some people should really give it an honest try.
    If you can hold off a few more weeks, wait until Apple releases the new iPods. Rumor'ed to have a front-facing camera among many other things.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

/irony
    It's pretty much common knowledge that since the zune HD came out it's been the best choice for those that want the best music experience. And the zune 80 beats the equivalent classic. Combine that with the zune software and it's just a slaughter. Find any review and they all basically say the same thing, 'if you don't care about apps go with zune hd'.

I myself have a zune 80 and I just can't see myself going to the excel spreedsheet that is itunes after using the zune and it's software both on the device and the desktop.

I find it funny all the ipod owners wanting music from the cloud and an itunes website were they can stream music when MS has had all of this for a while with the zune.net. smh at close minded people.

I say you should wait at least till November because that's when MS always comes out with anything zune related. If they do come out with a zune hd2 it will be compatible with all the apps in the WP7 marketplace. They've already stated that zune hd won't be compatible with the apps.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Zune HD. Best music experience by far. I've owned an ipod, it doesn't compare to the over all music experience the zune offer.

I have my smart phone for apps. My zune HD is for music.
    Last edited by olidie; 08/09/2010 at 04:28 PM.
    its interesting and useful to hear that folks here like the zune media interface.

I've never specifically challenged that -- I've only spoken of the reality that iTunes and Apple owns the market.

Most consumers learn of new stuff (like the original iPods, PMPs, mp3 players etc) from their friends -- so first mover advantage is self reenforcing.

Also most folks don't want to move or translate their media to another system -- and are loathe to learn another interface after they've already become accustomed to one.

Nothing zune offered was sufficiently desirable to even remotely upset Apple's dominance.

BTW -- read a recent article (engagdet ??) that talked about the disaster that PlaysforSure was for both consumers and OEMs.

Its another example beyond Kin, of why M$ has poor credibility -- and why OEMs will have limited patience with them.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    yes, I've used both. I no longer use either. I am a rhapsody fan. That's for another thread.

Just don't miss the link I posted for the iPod case made from a brown Zune so no one will want to steal it. No matter what you prefer, you have to admit that's funny...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    yeah i've seen it before. The doodoo brown Zune. Ugh.

The old Zunes and old software were garabge in my opinon...but i love it now. I don't expect them to put any major dent into Apples ecosystem...they just had way to big of a head start and way to much mindshare for it to be fathomable. it'll be like MS's ownership of the PC market vs. Apple's except role reversal....at least, MS can hope and wish for 10%.

The issue is, still, no one knows what a Zune is....thats how bad it is. Hell, most people probably only know what an iPod is cause no one else really markets anything. But that doesn't really bother me...Zune will be around for a while esp. with windows 7 phones having it, and i don't need my device to be the most popular. Hell, if that was the case i'd own an iPhone haha.

I'm just happy i'm happy with my media device of choice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast