Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    [IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE WHOLE THING, SKIP TO THE BOTTOM]

I've had a Palm Pre Plus on AT&T since roughly the middle of June, bought off-contract for $400. After a few weeks I got the highly-recommended Otterbox case and a Skinomi Techskin screen protector (plus a skin from UniqueSkins.com). I felt that this phone would be here to stay. However, I've had a lot of problems with the hardware and software of this device.

First, don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE my Pre+. WebOS is beautiful and ridiculously intuitive (I used my old AT&T Tilt again and found myself doing a swipe-up gesture to throw the application into card view because it felt so natural). The gestures and OS just work great, and with the use of Preware and all the patches and apps in the official catalog I could customize my phone and make it however *I* wanted. Not how my carrier or original designer wanted it to be like (for instance, using patches to hide the useless carrier apps).

Now, the problems.

After a few DAYS of owning my Pre+, I found out how truly weak the plastic screen is. After sliding it into my pocket (with nothing else in or around it, and before I had my case and screen protector), I found a small centimeter scratch near the top right of the screen. I thought, "damn, I hope this isn't always like that." Soon enough, a few days later after putting the phone inside the slip case that came with it, I noticed a small barrage of scratches on the lower part of the screen above the gesture area. Not as deep as the first, but it made it look a year old in the first week.

So, I ordered the Otterbox and Techskin from Amazon (within a few days of each other), slapped them on, and things were great. The screen protector minimized the look of the scratches (which shouldn't have been there in the first place) and the Otterbox felt sturdy and secure without adding too much bulk. BUT WAIT! Soon, more problems arose. I found out that it was very hard to slide the keyboard out while the phone was charging via USB due to the case (which was VERY often considering the Pre's terrible battery life, so I had to get used to charging multiple times a day if I ever planned on USING my phone). The Skinomi Techskin screen protector was a bit tacky but smoothed out after a few days (and the microbubbles disappeared within a day as expected). Sometimes the screen protector would make playing 3D games difficult if I had to use multitouch (such as in 1st person shooters) because it would jump around and mis-read where my fingers were. Relatively minor problems, but it sucked that I couldn't have a scratch-free phone and a easy-to-use phone at the same time.

Throughout the past few weeks, I have also noticed a deterioration of the Pre's slider. Even though it is the Pre+ and slightly more solid, I still had a slight Oreo effect, and the slider felt jiggly and insecure.

Finally, ****** really hit the fan. Just a few days ago, my phone (with the case) slipped off my bed and fell onto my carpeted floor. The fall was about 2 1/2 feet. But miraculously, this was enough to CRACK the Otterbox case's front left corner, DISLODGE the internals of the Pre's screen itself, and cause it to flash random pixels, shut off the screen itself, and render it inoperable. All I could do was wait until it stopped (This has happened several times, sometimes for a minute, sometimes up to 15 minutes. Meanwhile the screen responded to touches, but because I couldn't see anything it was useless. The gesture area still worked and lit up.

This was the final straw. I brought the phone, completely wiped and restored to factory settings, back to the AT&T store to see what I could do. I was hoping it was just a buggy device and I could get a replacement since I was out of the 30 day trial period. The in-store rep said I had to call AT&T themselves to do replacements, so I called from one of the store's demo phones. I was on the phone for 45 minutes, sent back and forth between 2 AT&T reps and Palm Tech Support asking me ridiculously unrelated questions (ex: They asked if I knew how to turn the screen on. Sometimes I think I know more about their phones than they do). After 45 minutes, the in-store rep told me to hang up with them, and that he'd figure out how to do it from the store because it was taking too long. Now I need to go back in a few days after he gets some higher-up's approval and I will potentially get a brand new Pre+.

So, Precentral members, this is my story. So you're probably wondering, why am I posting this? It seems like I've made up my mind and I'm getting a new phone. But this may not be true. I'm having buyer's remorse. If I complain enough, even though I'm outside the 30-day return period, I might be able to get my money back (because a majority of the phone's problems didn't show up until AFTER the 30 days, kinda cheap if you ask me.)

So, should I stick it out and stay with a new Pre+, or should I switch? To maybe the Android-toting Captivate or Aria, or even the Blackberry Torch, iPhone 4, the Pixi+ (and hopefully get some money back), or even wait until October/November for the first Windows Phone 7 devices to hit AT&T (supported rumors say AT&T will be the first premiere carrier of WP7) or the next webOS device hopefully later this year.

--------------------------------------

TL;DR -> Had a Pre+ on AT&T, loved the OS, disliked the hardware. Got tons of problems after the 30-day return period. Possibly getting a new Pre+, but I might be able to persuade AT&T to let me return it anyway and get a different phone.
    EDIT: Forgot to mention here, I DID call AT&T (from one of their stores) and was routed back and forth between them and Palm to figure out either a repair or replacement. Eventually the in-store rep said he'd find a way to do it through the store instead of the bogus tech-support lines, it would just take 1-3 days to get the permission.

You are all the Pre experts. Can you give me some advice?

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by JishHD; 08/08/2010 at 07:19 PM.
    call palm, get warranty covered repair/replacement.

Keep new refurbished pre and hope it lasts better or Sell new refurbished pre and get new phone.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    call palm, get warranty covered repair/replacement.

Keep new refurbished pre and hope it lasts better or Sell new refurbished pre and get new phone.
    Forgot to mention in the TL;DR section, I DID call AT&T (from one of their stores) and was routed back and forth between them and Palm to figure out either a repair or replacement. Eventually the in-store rep said he'd find a way to do it through the store instead of the bogus tech-support lines, it would just take 1-3 days to get the permission.
    You are an in inbetween period for WebOs in that we "think" the next generation phone will be out in the fall, to replace what would be the first generation almost year and a half old hardware.

So this is a tough question.

If you can get the $400 investment back and then see if you can buy a cheap phone off contract for 3 months while you wait to see what Nov brings for webos--this is probably optimal as you say you really like webos.

The preplus works well so if you have to get a replacement model, you will still be able to function nicely, if that is what you are asking.

Either way--it is just a phone--so don't waste too much time on it--make your decision and then attend to the other important things in your life.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    You are an in inbetween period for WebOs in that we "think" the next generation phone will be out in the fall, to replace what would be the first generation almost year and a half old hardware.

So this is a tough question.

If you can get the $400 investment back and then see if you can buy a cheap phone off contract for 3 months while you wait to see what Nov brings for webos--this is probably optimal as you say you really like webos.

The preplus works well so if you have to get a replacement model, you will still be able to function nicely, if that is what you are asking.

Either way--it is just a phone--so don't waste too much time on it--make your decision and then attend to the other important things in your life.
    This is what I've been leaning towards. I'm guessing it will take Palm and HP a good long while to pump out some new hardware (considering how long it's taken them to get 1.4.5 stateside), so unless they somehow get something good out soon I'm almost leaning towards getting my money back and waiting for WP7 or to switch to a mid-range Android device.

I'm a technophile of sorts, so I always like the best and most usable. I'm not the kind that can wait a few months without a decent phone :/.
    if you can get a refurb pre, take it. The drop damage would seem odd but if it broke the otter case, that's a pretty hard fall.

the slider will definitely get a bit loose, just as your old flip phones did. Nothing to worry about. The 'oreo' thing is very pronounced and it is safe to say you don't have it because you have an at&t phone.

tiny scratches, meh. The little bag and a good skin should be fine. Pockets scratch stuff, even iphones.

take the refurb. Should be as good as new, just without the accessories.
    Looking through the Palm prospectus before the merger (see other threads on this) it seemed to suggest a new product was built into the forecast for the fall period and Palm also seemed to say that its planned roadmap was well on its way pre-merger and would go through. So the fall still seems like a plausible date for new product with an amped up distribution push through the HP channels.
    The way you treat phones you need to get one of those Motorola phones that the military uses, pretty bullet proof, you can drop it in water, slam it down concrete and it keeps working.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    if you can get a refurb pre, take it. The drop damage would seem odd but if it broke the otter case, that's a pretty hard fall.

the slider will definitely get a bit loose, just as your old flip phones did. Nothing to worry about. The 'oreo' thing is very pronounced and it is safe to say you don't have it because you have an at&t phone.

tiny scratches, meh. The little bag and a good skin should be fine. Pockets scratch stuff, even iphones.

take the refurb. Should be as good as new, just without the accessories.
    That's the weird thing though, it wasn't a hard fall at all. It just hit the carpet at such an angle (diagonally against the top-left corner) that it cracked it. The phone itself wasn't physically damaged from the fall, at least externally, but something happened to jostle the insides.

The slider should NOT get that weak in a month. I still have my first phone ever (a flip phone from 2004) and the hinge still works perfect. And it would last practically a month on standby.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    The way you treat phones you need to get one of those Motorola phones that the military uses, pretty bullet proof, you can drop it in water, slam it down concrete and it keeps working.
    I handle all my phones with great care. Everything that happened was a ridiculous accident that would not happen to a well built phone. Such as scratches against an empty soft pocket and slip case, and a fall against a carpet. Trust me, it took almost 2 years for my AT&T Tilt to even get a scratch on it, and that was after I had already switched to a different phone.
    my phone has fallen many times onto the carpet (with a little help from the cats), a few times on the ground too. A few months ago it fell onto hard concrete at the zoo and the power button fell off --took it to a sprint store and they put a replacement on the phone in about 20 minutes. This same phone has now lasted me over a year.

That said, I can see how the phone could break much more easily, than say, the old Treo which it replaced.

Its well known that the hardware is not great and no point in anyone wasting their time rehashing this point.
    I have a sprint pre with the otter box and screen protector.... My phone has done survived multilple drops on concrete,carpet,hard wood floors, and once into chicken parm pasta (dont ask)... No issues what so ever... I have a slight oreo but if you don't play with it making the oreo happen you don't notice it. I'm guessing you had that 1 in a million chance where everything happened just right for a problem.
    I've had a Palm Pre Plus on AT&T since roughly the middle of June, bought off-contract for $400. After a few weeks I got the highly-recommended Otterbox case and a Skinomi Techskin screen protector (plus a skin from UniqueSkins.com). I felt that this phone would be here to stay. However, I've had a lot of problems with the hardware and software of this device.
    Quote Originally Posted by JishHD View Post
    This is what I've been leaning towards. I'm guessing it will take Palm and HP a good long while to pump out some new hardware (considering how long it's taken them to get 1.4.5 stateside), so unless they somehow get something good out soon I'm almost leaning towards getting my money back and waiting for WP7 or to switch to a mid-range Android device.

I'm a technophile of sorts, so I always like the best and most usable. I'm not the kind that can wait a few months without a decent phone :/.

Sorry.. makes no sense to me.
    Your a techie.. that needs the newest and best... so you buy a year old pre... June 2010....without researching all of its short falls, instead of ... evo, iphone 4, droid x etc ? all of the hype surrounding EVO and iphone 4 and DroidX.

You then go on to basically complain about all of pre's reported shortfalls... and then state that you will probably move on to a droid or win 7 phone ?

You will consider waiting for a win 7 phone...but your not the kind to wait around a few months for a decent phone?
    Mobile Operating System | Mobile Devices | Smart Phones | Windows Phone 7
    win 7 release date holiday season 2010

You are basicly discrediting pre by stating its not a decent phone... on precentral.com. You are saying you will not wait for new weboS phone.. but you might get a win 7 phone... or an android phone.

Then you plug ....(plus a skin from UniqueSkins.com)

i call B. S.

But you still get users here offering you advice... because this site has some amazingly helpful users....
    Hey, its your money and what ever you get you have to live with it so go out there and get what you like that fits your needs and don't worry about anyone else. I have an Evo and a Pre and the Evo is my primary phone and the Pre's on clock duty.
    everyone with buyers remorse because of hardware didn't complain for months after each big update hit and I'm sure it'll happen with 2.0 also. Myself included lol (even though my pre has a huge dent/scratch from falling a story onto concrete...guess it hit just right)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Looking through the Palm prospectus before the merger (see other threads on this) it seemed to suggest a new product was built into the forecast for the fall period and Palm also seemed to say that its planned roadmap was well on its way pre-merger and would go through. So the fall still seems like a plausible date for new product with an amped up distribution push through the HP channels.
    Are you pretty sure about the fall launch date? My Verizon contract ends august 25 and i don't want to have to wait too long to get a new phone. I have a blackberry storm 1 right now. I don't want to have to wait after september i ran into a friend who has a pre plus on Verizon and said he absolutely loves it except that the keyboard can miss some presses, which i confirmed by messing around with it. And i think a replacement phone would fix this. I am honestly not sure what the rush for new hardware his. Maybe this is just because i am coming from a storm, but the pre plus seems like a great phone, and i didn't notice any lag. I honestly think i'll pick up the pre plus on the 25th, droid 2 bed**ned. Am i crazy not to wait??
    not @ all in my opinion, hell I'm hapy w/ a regular old beat up pre.
    I think you should do a little more investigation and decide first on software, before hardware.
    If you are a techie that always switches/upgrades to new hardware, then why worry that the phone's hardware is a little weak and only lasts a year? You'll be itching for next year's model before it's even on the shelves anyway. But if in changing phones you always change OS, you'll never be happy because it takes time to get proficient and comfortable with any of them. And there are major differences between the way you use and interact with iOS, WebOS, Android, and BBOS... to each his own, but you should find the one that fits. Then chase that set of hardware.

I personally find that webOS fits me, and promises enough as an OS that I'm willing to stick with it and see what hardware options come later... meanwhile, my now year-old Pre that I use daily is still working marvelously. With no cases or protectors, I've not a scratch or chip anywhere. No oreo. Sure, it's no tank, but then again, I treat it like a $400 electronic device... I also never drop my MacBook.
    So, the OP is on AT&T, is looking for a reliable phone with excellent build quality, represents the high tech end of the market, and has great customer satisfaction. Hmm... That doesn't sound like the Pre to me. Hmm... Is there a phone on AT&T that fits that description? I think there is less to this than meets the eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    So, the OP is on AT&T, is looking for a reliable phone with excellent build quality, represents the high tech end of the market, and has great customer satisfaction. Hmm... That doesn't sound like the Pre to me. Hmm... Is there a phone on AT&T that fits that description? I think there is less to this than meets the eye.
    Yeah, I thought of this too... I'd never go to AT&T, but if I found myself there, I know what phone I'd be using.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast