Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21  
    As far as software vs hardware goes, software is much more importsant. I would never buy an iPhone because of the software. Ios 4 is outdated to me (in terms of UI). I have had an iPod touch for 2.5 years and I am bored of ios. IMO, iPhone 4 has the best hardware on the market right now. So to me, webOS is the clear winner, and if for some reason I find the hardware utterly unusable, I will be forced to move to andoid, for it us no. 2 in terms of software, IMO.
  2. #22  
    I have to agree... these are unusual choices. If I went to AT&T... The Pre would likely be the 5th or 6th phone I would even consider (no offense). Especially if I was making this decision in June '10...

    On top of that... You paid $400 for a Pre Plus off contract???

    I have went through probably 20 Pre's (between the 3 users we had in our family) and what you describe would not be the norm. It would be (from my experience) the extreme exception. Sure the Pre has build quality issues... but it's not going to disintegrate into oblivion from a 2.5 foot fall while in a Otterbox...

    It does however pick up scratches on the screen from being in your pocket. You need to put at least a screen cover on it (I prefer Bodyguardz). PITA is having to replace the screen cover every time your have to replace your Pre...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/09/2010 at 12:47 PM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I have to agree... these are unusual choices. If I went to AT&T... The Pre would likely be the 5th or 6th phone I would even consider (no offense). Especially if I was making this decision in June '10...

    On top of that... You paid $400 for a Pre Plus off contract???

    I have went through probably 20 Pre's (between the 3 users we had in our family) and what you describe would not be the norm. It would be (from my experience) the extreme exception. Sure the Pre has build quality issues... but it's not going to disintegrate into oblivion from a 2.5 foot fall while in a Otterbox...

    It does however pick up scratches on the screen from being in your pocket. You need to put at least a screen cover on it (I prefer Bodyguardz). PITA is having to replace the screen cover every time your have to replace your Pre...
    no offense = insult 99% of the time. Heavily used by tools. No surprise.

    20 pre's lol. That's around 7 pre's per user.


    I am on 2nd pre since launch. Same with my wife.
    2 users... 4 pre's... Over 14 months. No case's

    if we used cases.... We would both be on original pre's.

    7 pre's a piece... That says it all.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/09/2010 at 09:37 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    7 pre's a piece... That says it all.
    Sadly, it's not all that uncommon, your personal experience not withstanding.
  5. #25  
    I disagree. Several of my friends and I have last summer's Pre's on Sprint... and not one of us has had to get a new one.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Sadly, it's not all that uncommon, your personal experience not withstanding.
    captain negativity....strikes again.

    7 per user....is assuming each user went through the exact amount of pre's.
    one could have gone through 10.... Etc.

    where do you get your facts from kupe? Sadly it's not uncommon to have gone through 7+ pre's in a year?. I would say that would be very uncommon.

    I call B.S. ... From the a heavily biased user.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/10/2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typos
  7. #27  
    I'm getting my 6th Pre+ shipped to me as we speak so I would say it's not that unusual to go through that number of phones.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I'm getting my 6th Pre+ shipped to me as we speak so I would say it's not that unusual to go through that number of phones.
    seriously... the bulldropings is really getting old around here.

    do you start polls ... and then not bother using the results that they generate?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-you-had.html

    0 (Luck) 202 49.39% 1 64 15.65% 2 34 8.31% 3 33 8.07% 4 30 7.33% 5 21 5.13% 6+ 25 6.11%
    lets see.... how common is 6+ pre replacements?

    calling out people on their bullpoopie...... part time job
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/10/2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: PG edits ;-)
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Sorry.. makes no sense to me.
    Your a techie.. that needs the newest and best... so you buy a year old pre... June 2010....without researching all of its short falls, instead of ... evo, iphone 4, droid x etc ? all of the hype surrounding EVO and iphone 4 and DroidX.

    You then go on to basically complain about all of pre's reported shortfalls... and then state that you will probably move on to a droid or win 7 phone ?

    You will consider waiting for a win 7 phone...but your not the kind to wait around a few months for a decent phone?
    Mobile Operating System | Mobile Devices | Smart Phones | Windows Phone 7
    win 7 release date holiday season 2010

    You are basicly discrediting pre by stating its not a decent phone... on precentral.com. You are saying you will not wait for new weboS phone.. but you might get a win 7 phone... or an android phone.

    Then you plug ....(plus a skin from UniqueSkins.com)

    i call B. S.

    But you still get users here offering you advice... because this site has some amazingly helpful users....
    I am a techie in the sense that I love gadgets and handy devices, mainly cell phones (since most phones now are like mini-computers). I did *not* say that I always want the best, fastest, and most powerful phones. If I did, I wouldn't have enough money to support that interest. I've hacked my Tilt into perfection through XDA-Developers, breathing new life (and Android 2.2, custom Windows Mobile ROMs, and overclocking) into a 3 year phone that still works great. I like to be able to customize and personalize a device to my own tastes.

    Now, allow me to explain my choice of the Pre+. I am on a family plan on AT&T. Our plan ends in a bit over a year, and my parents (yes, parents. I'm 17.) have no desire to switch carriers. We get great service (since we live in the north-east) with only occasional dropped calls when driving through weak spots along the highway. I get almost constant 3G and have no complaints about the network. This explains why I would not have the CHOICE of the Evo 4G, the Droid X, or any other superphones such as those. After MONTHS of deliberation, I decided on the Pre+. I did not decide to waste $400 on just a hunch that it'd be decent. I researched the pros and cons, flaws, customizability and hackability, and deemed that it as a worthy choice given my options.

    Now that I've actually been using the phone for nearly two months, I have to say my experience has surpassed my expectations, except for the battery life and relatively weak durability. Now it seems that getting replacement Pres are relatively normal, but because of the price and class of the phone I felt that it really shouldn't be so. If I have to stick with the Pre+ I guess I'll have to get used to replacing the phone every few months, which is a surprise as I've never had to do that with any of my previous phones (a generic flip phone, LG CU500 flip phone, AT&T Tilt, and the Samsung Magnet).

    Software and hardware are both very important to me. The software of WebOS alone is absolutely amazing, and I would hate to leave it, but sub-par hardware can be a deal-breaker. Software means nothing if the phone itself is unusable. I said I would consider WP7, iPhone, or even Android if they offer a more solid experience. I know the hardware on the iPhone is one of the best around, but I dislike the OS. Android is too fragmented and not a unified experience but has a plethora of developer support, and WP7 isn't even out yet, but from everything I've seen it has a great fresh UI and great minimum spec requirements.

    Anyway, to conclude, over the past few days I've thought long and hard about whether to make a switch, if it is even a possibility. I think I've decided to stay with a replacement Pre+ and stop any scratches from ever occurring by applying a screen protector immediately, and perhaps investing in an extended battery (speaking of which, should I get a 1400mAh or a 2600+mAh battery, even though it juts out?). All of my apps will stay, and since the Pre is Palm's flagship device still, I'm sure software support will ease any of my other woes within the coming months.

    This thread can be closed if the mods want, I don't really mind. I've made my decision and I'm sure everyone who bothers to read all this is tired of my walls of text .
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by JishHD View Post
    I am a techie in the sense that I love gadgets and handy devices, mainly cell phones (since most phones now are like mini-computers). I did *not* say that I always want the best, fastest, and most powerful phones. If I did, I wouldn't have enough money to support that interest. I've hacked my Tilt into perfection through XDA-Developers, breathing new life (and Android 2.2, custom Windows Mobile ROMs, and overclocking) into a 3 year phone that still works great. I like to be able to customize and personalize a device to my own tastes.

    Now, allow me to explain my choice of the Pre+. I am on a family plan on AT&T. Our plan ends in a bit over a year, and my parents (yes, parents. I'm 17.) have no desire to switch carriers. We get great service (since we live in the north-east) with only occasional dropped calls when driving through weak spots along the highway. I get almost constant 3G and have no complaints about the network. This explains why I would not have the CHOICE of the Evo 4G, the Droid X, or any other superphones such as those. After MONTHS of deliberation, I decided on the Pre+. I did not decide to waste $400 on just a hunch that it'd be decent. I researched the pros and cons, flaws, customizability and hackability, and deemed that it as a worthy choice given my options.

    Now that I've actually been using the phone for nearly two months, I have to say my experience has surpassed my expectations, except for the battery life and relatively weak durability. Now it seems that getting replacement Pres are relatively normal, but because of the price and class of the phone I felt that it really shouldn't be so. If I have to stick with the Pre+ I guess I'll have to get used to replacing the phone every few months, which is a surprise as I've never had to do that with any of my previous phones (a generic flip phone, LG CU500 flip phone, AT&T Tilt, and the Samsung Magnet).

    Software and hardware are both very important to me. The software of WebOS alone is absolutely amazing, and I would hate to leave it, but sub-par hardware can be a deal-breaker. Software means nothing if the phone itself is unusable. I said I would consider WP7, iPhone, or even Android if they offer a more solid experience. I know the hardware on the iPhone is one of the best around, but I dislike the OS. Android is too fragmented and not a unified experience but has a plethora of developer support, and WP7 isn't even out yet, but from everything I've seen it has a great fresh UI and great minimum spec requirements.

    Anyway, to conclude, over the past few days I've thought long and hard about whether to make a switch, if it is even a possibility. I think I've decided to stay with a replacement Pre+ and stop any scratches from ever occurring by applying a screen protector immediately, and perhaps investing in an extended battery (speaking of which, should I get a 1400mAh or a 2600+mAh battery, even though it juts out?). All of my apps will stay, and since the Pre is Palm's flagship device still, I'm sure software support will ease any of my other woes within the coming months.

    This thread can be closed if the mods want, I don't really mind. I've made my decision and I'm sure everyone who bothers to read all this is tired of my walls of text .
    I'm a technophile of sorts, so I always like the best and most usable. I'm not the kind that can wait a few months without a decent phone :/.
    sorry... but this post was what i based my comments on.
    buying a $400 pre off contract at 17... good for you. thats nice cash for your age. @ 17.. im not sure you have had many phones to be making comments like the one above... but thats the magic of the web....

    Sounds like your making a the best decision for your situation.

    My apologies for being a bit harsh.... but there is a lot of **** post popping up on this site these days.

    best of luck to you...

    man.. it's pretty late for a 17 yr old to be up ;-)
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    sorry... but this post was what i based my comments on.
    buying a $400 pre off contract at 17... good for you. thats nice cash for your age. @ 17.. im not sure you have had many phones to be making comments like the one above... but thats the magic of the web....

    Sounds like your making a the best decision for your situation.

    My apologies for being a bit harsh.... but there is a lot of **** post popping up on this site these days.

    best of luck to you...

    man.. it's pretty late for a 17 yr old to be up ;-)
    The "best and most usable" doesn't necessarily mean the most powerful and the fastest. Just the best for my tastes and the easiest to get used to and utilize. But I see where it could be misread haha.
  12. #32  
    <<Closed per OP request>>

    Congrats on the decision! Thanks for taking the time to get input from both sides
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions