Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Go on don't be shy step right up and give swype a try.

If you get the chance to try it out. Slow at first, It took me 10 mins to get accustomed and a day or so to truly fly. After using my friends phone for 2 days(and he tried mine) I have come to the conclusion that this is the future. I can type almost twice as fast on swype than my pre's keyboard.

I come back to my pre, keys hard as stone, slow and hot to the touch, it's not perfect but it's my home.

Speed

Capitalization

One handed:

Give swype a good try and report back.
    Last edited by IcerC; 08/09/2010 at 03:31 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I concur I have Swype on my Evo along with another great keyboard called Swiftkey which knows your next words. Those keyboards along with six others has made it easy to live without the extra thickness, weight and bulk of a physical keyboard and there just as fast or faster.
    Last edited by kinster02; 08/07/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I have Swype on my Eris and it is the first time I've actually been ok NOT wanting a physical keyboard. Now if only we can get a Swype version put on WebOS!!!
    I ran across this the other day, kinda blew me away.Virtual Keyboard, You don't even need a keyboard. It's not out yet, patent pending.

BlindType - Touch typing the way it should be
    Pretty friggin awesome. One of the big reasons I got the Pre was because of the physical keyboard. If I can type like that on a soft keyboard, I'm pretty much sold. Thing is awesome!
    Maybe on next gen hardware with a bigger screen. Might as well use the keyboard while its there.
    Pretty much the same here. I like how phones are moving away fom hardware keyboards (except RIM).

My Pre+ keyboard gives me so much trouble with double/missed letters I would take a nice virtual keyboard anyday.
    swype is pretty cool. I have seen it in action.
    A physical keyboard slows me down these days, I'm much MUCH faster on a virtual keyboard. It took me a while to get used to it and to allow autocorrect to do its magic, but once you do there's no going back to a physical keyboard.
    Prefer Swiftkey to Swype
    Prefer hardware keyboard to Swiftkey
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A physical keyboard slows me down these days, I'm much MUCH faster on a virtual keyboard. It took me a while to get used to it and to allow autocorrect to do its magic, but once you do there's no going back to a physical keyboard.
    How's that working out for you when your NOT LOOKING AT THE SCREEN?? But then 99% of texters probably can't type with out looking at their kb either.

Point number two, I bet using swype while holding the phone one handed is awesome and super faster.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    How's that working out for you when your NOT LOOKING AT THE SCREEN?? But then 99% of texters probably can't type with out looking at their kb either.

Point number two, I bet using swype while holding the phone one handed is awesome and super faster.

boy are you right!!

I can't type that fast one-handed on the pre can you?

I want a video of you typing on the pre without looking. I just tried... maybe if pre had SOME predictive text I could hit the chicklets at least close enough.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html

You can type normally on a Swype keyboard.

Actually, with autocorrect I'm pretty damn accurate (a few occasional mistakes here and there) without looking at the keyboard on both the iPhone and Evo. I can fly on a touch keyboard.

Good example of using autocorrect and fast typing:
    Actually, with autocorrect I'm pretty damn accurate (a few occasional mistakes here and there) without looking at the keyboard on both the iPhone and Evo. I can fly on a touch keyboard.

Good example of using autocorrect and fast typing:
    I'm actually faster at typing on my screen on my Samsung Moment than using the Hardware keyboard. But I am using the Droid X virtual keyboard on mine and it's a lot better than the stock one.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I'm actually faster at typing on my screen on my Samsung Moment than using the Hardware keyboard. But I am using the Droid X virtual keyboard on mine and it's a lot better than the stock one.
    I think those that swear hardware over virtual have never really given autocorrect a chance or taken the time to learn how it works. My mom used to complain about her iPhone because she would "peck" at the keys. After sitting with her for 15 minutes and teaching her how to just let it "do its thing", she's rather snappy on it now and her txt messages to me are more coherent. :P
    I think those that swear hardware over virtual have never really given autocorrect a chance or taken the time to learn how it works. My mom used to complain about her iPhone because she would "peck" at the keys. After sitting with her for 15 minutes and teaching her how to just let it "do its thing", she's rather snappy on it now and her txt messages to me are more coherent. :P
    I bet if the next Webos device was a slate design, they would learn how to use it.
    I'm one of those converts.

"i'll never get an iphone cause it has a virtual keyboard"

Now that i actually tried a few virtual keyboards. I'm a believer.
    Holy frap.

And here I was thinking that hardware > virtual keyboards. I just gave my 3GS a run-through. I can definitely type faster on the stock virtual keyboard than on my Pre As long as of course, I stick with English words and phrases, autocorrect would tide me over.

I can definitely see how Swype would be a breeze to use. I wonder if we'll ever get this for the Pre. That would be great for one-handed blind typing.
  20. Ty
    I had a software keyboard on my Instinct that I was pretty fond of, but mostly for the haptic feedback. Any time I try another virtual keyboard I miss that terribly.

My favorite thing about a physical keyboard though is blind-typing. I can do pretty well without looking at the keyboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast