Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well my Power button stopped working on my Pre. Its just out of warranty too.

I'm looking at gettin' the EVO, but I'd rather wait and see what Gingerbread offers first (or a definitive answer that the EVO will be upgraded to Gingerbread). We will see if I can last that long turning my phone on w/ a pencil though.

Anyways, I will miss the:
    • Mirror
    • Keyboard-The more I use the Pre's keyboard the more I like it. I like that the buttons are seperated and not all bunched together.
    • Card view (i.e. the awesome multi-tasking)
    • Back/Forward gestures in the gesture area. Every phone I pick up now, I want to swipe to go back.
    • The touchstones. I love these things. I only wish Palm came out w/ built in car dock/touchstone.

What's is your list?
    Instead, let's list all the existing "goodbye" threads already here... :grin:
    I've had two Pre's replaced in the past 2 weeks by Sprint (and not as an insurance claim).
    One wasn't charging correctly and the other had an intermittent power button and a volume up button that would activate and stick (constantly trying to turn the volume up).

They were purchased on launch day.

May be worth taking it to a Sprint repair shop. Even if you are looking to move to an EVO (or something else), you could still get it replaced and sell it (or keep it as a backup).
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/06/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    * Mirror (zhackwyatt)
    * Keyboard-The more I use the Pre's keyboard the more I like it. I like that the buttons are seperated and not all bunched together.
    * Card view (i.e. the awesome multi-tasking)
    * Back/Forward gestures in the gesture area. Every phone I pick up now, I want to swipe to go back.
    * The touchstones. I love these things. I only wish Palm came out w/ built in car dock/touchstone.

You'll be missing all these things. Then why leave then... You won't find them anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    * The touchstones. I love these things. I only wish Palm came out w/ built in car dock/touchstone.

We'll see the Pre2,C40 etc. long before we see the mythical "carstone"
    I'll miss the card system and UI refinement.

But i won't miss much of the actual device to be honest.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    * Mirror (zhackwyatt)
    * Keyboard-The more I use the Pre's keyboard the more I like it. I like that the buttons are seperated and not all bunched together.
    * Card view (i.e. the awesome multi-tasking)
    * Back/Forward gestures in the gesture area. Every phone I pick up now, I want to swipe to go back.

You'll be missing all these things. Then why leave then... You won't find them anywhere else.
    Maybe if there was news of PRE2 coming around. But so far there isn't. Why buy spend 150 dollars on a phone that's already a year old when I could spend 200 on a phone only a couple of months old.
    One more thing have fun with your Evo or whatever device you choose as for me I'm sticking with web-os for now and when I switched from palm to windows mobile I didn't tell anyone and when I went back to palm I didn't tell anyone when I made the switch to web-os again that's by business no one cares so if you make posts like this and you get replies like the one you got
  9.    #9  
    Thanks. I wouldn't be leaving the Pre if I could turn it on with the button. Its kind of an important button. I know ther are apps to turn the screen off, and sliding it opens turns the screen on. But its a pretty big inconvenience.

I've had my Pre since August, and have evangelized it to my friends.

At this moment it seems to have stalled. I don't see anything happening with it soon. Its been quite some time since there was an update, and no new hardware. So maybe a trip to another phone then, after a year, if Palm/HP comes out with something new, I mary very well come back.

I just hope they keep the innovation alive, and not focus on printers so much. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    One more thing have fun with your Evo or whatever device you choose as for me I'm sticking with web-os for now and when I switched from palm to windows mobile I didn't tell anyone and when I went back to palm I didn't tell anyone when I made the switch to web-os again that's by business no one cares so if you make posts like this and you get replies like the one you got
    Cool story, thanks for sharing.
    Palm fan *ahem* men are approaching Apple level status.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I switched to the Evo(now enjoying Froyo). If you're waiting for Gbread on the Evo, it'll be like waiting for flash on the Pre. Idk about you but I can get an upgrade every 12 months so when Gbread becomes available in 2011, I'll be enjoying it on a multi-core platform.
    if you decide to switch, hit me up for a Swype beta key(f.o.c.).

I missed the gesture swiping for about 1 week and nothing about the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by feardunn View Post
    I switched to the Evo(now enjoying Froyo). If you're waiting for Gbread on the Evo, it'll be like waiting for flash on the Pre. Idk about you but I can get an upgrade every 12 months so when Gbread becomes available in 2011, I'll be enjoying it on a multi-core platform.
    if you decide to switch, hit me up for a Swype beta key(f.o.c.).

I missed the gesture swiping for about 1 week and nothing about the hardware.
    Uhm...how many of those beta keys do you have? I'd sure like one. :-)
    OK... please refrain from the rude comments - not needed. If you don't agree with an opinion - simply move to another thread. There is a phone OS out there for everyone. Like the old song says "Don't know what ya got til' it's gone"...

OP... you are more than welcome here any time. Thanks for the post and we do hope to see you back with webOS in the future
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/07/2010 at 11:02 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OK... please refrain from the rude comments - not needed. If you don't agree with an opinion - simply move to another thread. There is a phone OS out there for everyone. Like the old song says "Don't know what ya got til' it's gone"...

OP... you are more than welcome here any time. Thanks for the post and we do hope to see you back with webOS in the future
    Thanks. I don't see why people's love of a phone should trump how they treat another human being.

I was just trying to figure out if people would miss the Palm Pre innovations.
    There are a lot of users who have jumped ship, but still hang out here. Many are just trying a new device until the next webOS devices come along. Nothing wrong with that at all. Even if some don't come back, these forums are open to all to discuss multiple platforms. I've owned a couple Android devices and they were nice. I definitely wouldn't have the true appreciation for webOS if I hadn't tried other stuff. It definitely made me realize what Palm has done with this OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhackwyatt View Post
    Thanks. I don't see why people's love of a phone should trump how they treat another human being.

I was just trying to figure out if people would miss the Palm Pre innovations.
    You're right no matter how much someone loves or hates it it's just a phone
    +1 some ppl FAIL to realize that..

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    You're right no matter how much someone loves or hates it it's just a phone
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    +1 some ppl FAIL to realize that..
    yes ...its just a phone. when people feel the need to visit P|C and put down users choice of phone.... lame.

some people defend phone... not bc of phone... because they despise the weakness others show( shalowness) by identifying with the masses.. suppporting the popular decisions in smartphone os's... and then feeling the need to visit P|C to put down the choice of the users on this site.

for some... its not even about the phone.... its hating those that side with big #'s... and still fell the need to crush the little guy.

whats interesting... is they would not bother if they thought there was no threat of the little guy showing up their current choice of OS.... so they feel the need to put down and crush.. at the weakest possible time.
    i really hope HP uses this smartphone/ mobile space battle... as a way to distinguish themselves. They can show the world that little chinese companies like HTC can not compare to an american Giant from california... and an american Icon - Palm - from california as well.

Long live U.S.A. .... the future of our country's economy may depend on its ability to continue to lead the world in technology.
    its more than a phone.. its our future.

Live free or Die.
    or..... move to china
    Wow. Crazy stuff here. I don't see any "put down users choice of phone..." in the OP. In fact, the only bashing I see is from many of the responses to it. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't miss anything about the Pre anymore. Initially, I missed the Touchstone. That passed quickly for me. I just literally went 2 full days without needing to charge my EVO, so the Touchstone is not an issue for me (though I still think it's a very cool piece of tech).

As someone has already mentioned, I don't think Gingerbread should be much of a consideration at this point since there is hardly any official information on it but that's just my opinion.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with the EVO. Just an FYI, 96% of the people who reviewed the EVO on Sprint would recommend it to a friend. There is always a chance that you can fall into the 4% that don't like it, but I'd say the odds are in your favor.

My advice is to use the 30-day trial that Sprint offers and see if it works for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast