Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here in the forums I read a lot of comments of people who want phones with bigger screens. On the other hand I see more and more advertisements (here in Germany) for smartphones with small screens (HTC HD Mini, Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini, Motorola Flipout etc). They all have 2.5"-2.8" screens. What gives?

Is this because there are more smartphones available so manufacturers are making more nice models? Are they more aimed at womens small pockets? Are we heading to a future where people carry a small smartphone for calling and a 7"-10" tablet for other stuff with them?

I love the current size of the Pre. Wouldn't mind a bigger screen as long as it doesn't make the device bigger. Most people that frequent these forums are probably power users who would benefit most from a big screen. Might not reflect the general population.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Well, seems like there are (and will continue to be) a variety of forms and sizes to suit different needs. But for the hardcore smartphone power user, it seems the trend is in fact just the opposite ... bigger rules!

When I bought my Pre (my first smartphone) I liked the fact that it was overall a little smaller and fit nicely in my pocket. Having used it for a year, and now seen some of the models with 4"+ screens, I think that will probably be my next move. If I'm going to carry something like this all the time, I think the larger screen is worthwhile. Web browsing and ebooks look a lot better with a little bigger screen IMO.
    same reason that people drive sensibly sized cars in Europe, and we keep buying SUVs and Hummers... Americans continue to think bigger=better.

and, we are all getting old and our eyes are going bad.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/06/2010 at 01:56 PM.
    What else is there to say? Size really does matter.
    Some of the reason why all of the new successful smartphones are at least 3.5":

* Most of the issues with the Pre hardware were due to the sliding keyboard. A slab phone has no moving parts and will be inherently more reliable.

* For a touchscreen keyboard, a bigger screens helps with typing accuracy.

* HD playback, HD movies, photo viewer, and full screen internet need lots of pixels. The only way extra pixels help is if you can see them without a magnifying glass. So that means bigger screens.

If you look at the volume that the Pre takes up in your pocket (height x width x thickness), the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

The EVO is 2.6 x 4.8 x 0.5 = 6.2 cubic inches. Smaller phones mean having a keyboard which also makes it thicker.

The EVO has twice the screen size as the Pre yet takes up less space in your pocket.

The Droid X is even smaller at 5.2 cubic inches.

The Sprint Epic coming next week with a 4" screen and real keyboard and is 2 cubic inch bigger than a Pre.

Small screen sizes mean a keyboard and a bigger phone, not smaller.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/06/2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

If you look at the volume that the Pre takes up in your pocket (height x width x thickness), the Pre is 2.3 x 4 x 0.7 = 6.4 cubic inches.

The EVO is 2.6 x 4.8 x 0.5 = 6.2 cubic inches. Smaller phones mean having a keyboard which also makes it thicker.

The EVO has twice the screen size as the Pre yet takes up less space in your pocket.
    You can't be serious. TRUE science and mathmatics speak for itself on the volume...but who cares about volume. my pocket is a certain size, and I can say that the Pre fits in fine, the Evo will not. So volume is NOT a factor, whereas SIZE is a factor. *It is safe to assume cell phones are not going to be like 4 inches in depth of course. But lets be realistic!

Here is another Mathmatical example: Pocket size...which is better (EVO vs Pre scenerio)

Pocket 1: (LxWxD) 2x6x4 = 48 inches
    Pocket 2: (LxWxD) 4x3x1 = 12 inches

Pocket 1 is "more volume" than Pocket 2, BUT you can't carry a phone in that type of pocket...everyone would have a hard on look in their pants with their phone turned sideways and halfway falling out of the pocket.

I cannot see myself carrying the EVO as it is too BIG to carry, and the Pre is small and barely noticeable.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    same reason that people drive sensibly sized cars in Europe, and we keep buying SUVs and Hummers... Americans continue to think bigger=better.

and, we are all getting old and our eyes are going bad.
    Americans tend to drive bigger cars because our roads and infrastructure can support them vs. the smaller and more twisty roads that exist in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Americans tend to drive bigger cars because our roads and infrastructure can support them vs. the smaller and more twisty roads that exist in Europe.
    the primary reasons inefficient vehicles like SUVs could become popular was the MUCH lower cost of fuel in the US compared to Europe.

When fuel costs are high, vehicle efficiency becomes a primary constituent in choosing what to own.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Maybe the Beeper King was right and technology is cyclical.

More likely it's simply a matter of phone hardware and software becoming more capable and lending itself to applications which require a larger screen like full blown web pages and video. While I love the size of my Palm Pre, I'd be lying if I said that I don't sometimes feel limited by its 3.1", 480x320 screen.
  10.    #10  
    Some nice thoughts there. Especially that you always need a hardware keyboard with a small screen which will make the device bigger. A real contradiction.

The size of the device is also more important to me than volume. I rather have a more compact thicker device then a thinner bigger which hardly fits in my pocket.

Then again, I must say that I personally don't do a lot of web surfing on my Pre. Usually just look something up quickly. If I really want to look or research something I write myself a note on my Pre and look at it once I get back to the really big screen and keyboard at home.

That's why Palm needs a slab as well, to fit everybodies needs!
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    I didnt realize how important screen size was to me until I ordered my Pixi+. It doesnt come until Monday and Im most definitely concered that going from the Pre to the Pixi+ the smaller screen is going to drive me crazy. Never shouldve watched those YouTube videos of Pre vs Pixi! I never minded the Pre being somewhat thick to support the keyboard. I dont think I could type on the screen. Not without chopping my nails off. Palm should definitely come out with a few options. A new version of the Pixi where the screen is larger even Pre screen size (reduce the gesture area size will help that as another poster pointed out on another thread) but with a real keyboard and no slider would make me the happiest I think. Too bad Palm wont just make an order form where we can all customize our next device kinda like ordering a computer. I want this size screen, this kind of keyboard, this much memory and so on. I would for sure pay extra to be able to do that and in the end have a phone that I could happily keep for years to come and not have to sit here saying where is the next device?
    presonally I think a mobile phone should be considerably small hence the mobile part. Though yes the pre could have a bigger screen, but Ive used the Evo for two weeks, and yes its nice to see alot more realestate, its not really a mobile phone IMO. I use my phone at the gym to workout as a media player and the Evo was too big to take with me, let alone scared Id break it, and it is too bulky for me. If the next device is larger even at 4inchs I hope the screen realstate is just stretched to the max, and or just looked at to be made as small as possiable. I have handled the HTC droid incredable and to me that is the biggest a mobile phone should be pushed to. At 3.7 inches the phones realestate is stretch out to the max, and the phone is not big and bulky at all. Of course understanding the gesture area of the pre, they still can stretch the realestate to the max and come up with a 3.7- 4 inch screen phone that is not terrably bulky. At that point I would opt for a landscape keyboard idea because at 3.7 inches a portrait virtual keyboard would be big enough for anyones fingers. As well as of course using the landscape hard physical keyboard would be for longer text entrys. Hence my idea of HPalm making a HTC Pro 2 design for their next phone model, it is and was the perfect phone design period.
    If you look at the cubic inches (HxWxD) the Evo actually takes up less space than the Pre.
    I am torn between wanting a bigger screen and wanting to carry it around comfortably. For every person these are personal questions that has no definitive yes or no answer. Additionally, when does a smart phone stop being a smart phone and start becoming a netbook that can make a call?

My personal preference on screen size is somewhere in the 3.5" range. Still large enough that you do not have to squint and you can watch a video, while being able to be carried around comfortable. I currently have the PIXI after two failed PRE's. I at first was regretting the small size of screen, but am just fine with it for now. The biggest issue is that a few of the Apps do not work on the PIXI, but this is a developer issue, not a screen size issue.

I played around with an EVO at the Sprint store, and loved the screen, but it was uncomfortable in my hand as I simulated making calls. Additionally I dislike the onscreen keyboards, and will always have a physical keyboard no matter how good an on screen keyboard may be, it still does not have the feel of a real keyboard.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

If you look at the cubic inches (HxWxD) the Evo actually takes up less space than the Pre.

That is due to it being thinner, but it is much wider.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by davecttt View Post
    That is due to it being thinner, but it is much wider.
    Yet overall the Evo takes up less space (volume) than a Pre. Just like the Droid X takes up less space (volume) than the Pre.
    Anyone with common sense realizes that a shorter object will fit better in a pocket than a longer one... .2" thickness won't make much of a difference, but length will.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Anyone with common sense realizes that a shorter object will fit better in a pocket than a longer one... .2" thickness won't make much of a difference, but length will.
    That's what she said....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    I love the current size of the Pre. Wouldn't mind a bigger screen as long as it doesn't make the device bigger.
    My thoughts exactly. The majority of the current Android (and Iphones) are just too big for my taste. The Pre is just fine.
    And I like the hardware keyboard too. With a virtual keyboard big parts of the screen are covered with the keyboard and you only have a small slot free where you can see your typing. So a virtual keyboard has its downsides as well.
    Americans tend to drive bigger cars because 66% of the poplulation is overweight. You need something big to lug around those fat arses.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast