1.    #1  
    HI all,

Wow!

Take care,

Jay

Google: 200,000 Android phones sold every day: CEO
    07/04/2010, Reporting by Alexei Oreskovic

Print Story: Google: 200,000 Android phones sold every day: CEO - Yahoo! News

LAKE TAHOE, California (Reuters) About 200,000 smartphones based on Google's Android operating system are sold every day, CEO Eric Schmidt said on Wednesday, underscoring the strong challenge to rivals like Apple's iPhone.

Schmidt told reporters on the sidelines of an industry conference in Lake Tahoe that Android -- a mobile software launched just over a year ago -- was gaining momentum in a fiercely competitive tech arena.

Smartphones running the fledgling software topped the list among U.S. consumers in the second quarter, industry tracker NPD said on Wednesday. The operating system powered a third of all smartphones sold from April to June, with Research in Motion's BlackBerry sliding to second place for the first time since 2007.

BlackBerry lost 9 percentage points of market share, diving to 28 percent. The iPhone came in third with 22 percent.

Android is now on smartphones made by a number of different manufacturers, including a revitalized Motorola's Droid -- the best-selling Android handset in the second quarter among U.S. consumers -- and Taiwan's HTC.

Google said recently that 160,000 Android phones had been activated each day during the second quarter, up from 65,000 in the first quarter.

(Reporting by Alexei Oreskovic)
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Well...

If I was tired of my Pre, where would I go?
    If I was having trouble with my iPhone, where would I go?

I'm not a bit surprised by the success of Android.

I decided to pass on the Pre. (still using my outdated treo)
    I thought about an iPhone4 until the Reception fiasco.

So where to go? - Android
    There isn't anyplace else to go. - that is if I was looking to go.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Its a good strategy on Google's part. ***** out the OS to almost every handset maker in the world and sooner or later you should have world dominance. Doesn't change the fact, to date their OS is big and clunky. Ill stick switching between my Pre+ and Pixi+
  4.    #4  
    Hi all,

Here is a little more info on Droid!

Take care all,

Jay

5 Reasons Google Android Is Beating Out iPhone, BlackBerry
    By Andrew R Hickey, CRN

http://www.crn.com/mobile/226500127

6:12 PM EDT Mon. Aug. 02, 2010 Google (NSDQ:GOOG) Android is making great strides against its main smartphone operating system rivals, including the Apple (NSDQ:AAPL) iPhone and BlackBerry.
    According to a report from Canalys released Monday, Android-based smartphones saw shipments increase 886 percent in the second quarter of 2010 versus the second quarter of 2009. The study said that Android had "impressive momentum" giving it the top spot when it comes to smartphone OS market share in the U.S. Canalys noted that in the U.S. specifically, Google Android shipments jumped 851 percent and represented 34 percent of overall smartphone shipments in the second quarter.

At the same time, a report from The Nielsen Co. found that more mobile phone buyers are grabbing for Google Android as opposed to the Apple iPhone. The Nielsen study revealed that 27 percent of people who bought a smartphone over the six months that ended in June picked android while 23 percent went with the iPhone. Of course, that number was tabulated before the Apple iPhone 4 gained steam, but it was enough of a push to put Google Android smartphones in second place behind blackberry, which took 33 percent.

So why is Android so hot? Here's why:

1. Smartphone makers have taken notice

The world's top device makers are joining the Google Android charge and releasing devices based on the Android operating system. While HTC is the leader when it comes to hot Android-based releases, from the first Android phone with the T-Mobile G1 to the white hot HTC EVO 4G, others like Motorola (Droid X), Samsung (Galaxy), Dell (Streak) and HP-Palm have waved the Android flag for its newest smartphone and tablet offerings. The more devices and manufacturers that get behind Android, the larger the potential market. And users also like being able to have a choice in hardware and not be forced to accept one device solely because its the only one that runs the operating system they desire.

2. Wireless carriers all now have Android devices

The nation's most dominant wireless carriers all now offer some flavor of Google Android. T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have all added Android-based smartphones to their rosters. Being aligned with all of the major carriers helps fuel sales.

3. Android continues to innovate

Google Android doesn't rest on its laurels. Later this summer, Android 2.2 will hit devices adding a host of new and cool capabilities. Android has created an innovation storm, updating the OS every few months. What's more, Google Android 2.2, dubbed Froyo, packs in support for Adobe Flash -- a feature noticeably absent from the Apple iPhone. Froyo will also add a bunch of other tasty features Android-lovers long for, such as speeds up to five times over previous Android versions and support tethering and hotspot..

4. The Android Market is making strides

When it first launched, the Google Android Market was seen as little more than the unwanted relative at the app store picnic. But since then it's blossomed into an invited guest, boasting tens of thousands, 65,000 by some estimates, mobile applications ranging from games and entertainment applications to business productivity tools. While Apple's App Store is a tough one to beat, the Android Market is the best suited to do it, with new apps being created and launched every day. Yes, Apple has more, but Android is consumer-driven and Android Market doesn't censor applications or force developers to go through as rigorous an application and submission processes.

5. Android is usually cheaper

Since Android is being used by various manufacturers on various wireless networks, users can typically find a cheaper alternative to the Apple iPhone and BlackBerry.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by C4pt View Post
    Its a good strategy on Google's part. ***** out the OS to almost every handset maker in the world and sooner or later you should have world dominance. Doesn't change the fact, to date their OS is big and clunky. Ill stick switching between my Pre+ and Pixi+
    Clunky how?
    Because it has 7 screens of custom glanceable information?
    .. because it has the fastest mobile web browser around?

Used a few and really don't know what you mean.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Using 200K per day as a benchmark, every 15 days, there are more new Android phones in the marketplace than there are total WebOS devices. Every 15 Days. Given that, every two weeks, HP (and what's left of Palm) fall one complete WebOS market further behind Android.
    Android will be number one.
    Apple will be number two (once exclusivity for ATT is done)
    Rim will be a close third (Blackberry OS 6 and business to thank)
    Windows will be forth but growing fast
    Meego and Webos will be in the mud battling for a chance. (Intel/Nokia vs HP)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I see Android basically doing to Apple with smart phones what Microsoft did to Apple with the PC, except this time Apple will not be relegated to a niche player, they'll stay a strong #2.

As for WebOS, I don't see them becoming #3 in the market - RIM is simply too entrenched in the business community. But with HP's backing I can see them beating out Microsoft - but only if the next devices is a looker, sturdy, and has OS and hardware updates that, at an absolute minimum, bring the device up to par with the what the competition is expected to have at the time of release. And of course HP better advertise/hype the s&*t out of the new device and effectively.
    Anyone who says Android is clunky loses all credibilty in my opinion. I love web os and I love Android but android hasnt been clunky since 1.6. thats just old sterotyping and people who spit it out usually have no clue and have not used a android product in a while. I mean come on , do you think that Andorid would be the dominating OS it was if it was clunky . People would desert it in a minute ( and so would I ) if it was clunky. Even the new Windows Mobile isnt clunky anymore.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/05/2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I see Android basically doing to Apple with smart phones what Microsoft did to Apple with the PC, except this time Apple will not be relegated to a niche player, they'll stay a strong #2.

As for WebOS, I don't see them becoming #3 in the market - RIM is simply too entrenched in the business community. But with HP's backing I can see them beating out Microsoft - but only if the next devices is a looker, sturdy, and has OS and hardware updates that, at an absolute minimum, bring the device up to par with the what the competition is expected to have at the time of release. And of course HP better advertise/hype the s&*t out of the new device and effectively.
    yes -- Android will be the dominant OS, Apple will be a strong #2.

I've said it several times previously, Jobs now needs Verizon much more than Verizon needs Jobs. Jobs desperately wants to break into the wider market because he is seeing the same trends we are seeing. Its not unimaginable that Verizon will not offer the iPhone next year when exclusivity ends, or will allow it but without much subsidy. Jobs needs to use Sprint and T-Mobile to gain leverage with Verizon.

The downside of opening to multiple carriers is that Jobs will lose the type of sweetheart deal he snookered out of Cinqular/AT&T. With Android as an alternative, carriers no longer feel the pressure to bow to Jobs, to give him most of the control and profit.

Given the alternative of getting a bad deal with Verizon, and a weakened position on Sprint, T-Mobile, AND AT&T, Jobs may decide to reup exclusivity with AT&T (at slightly less favorable terms.)

RIM survives as a weakening #3 -- its entrenched business/government base enables it to remain viable, but it will never again be dominant (especially with consumers).

M$ and HP are doomed to niche players -- there's simply not enough oxygen left for a strong 4th player.

The next critical Android Apple battle takes place in China -- the world's largest market. Neither are widely used or very entrenched there yet -- both need to move aggressively to gain market share. Apple understands this, and is aggressively building out its Chinese Apple stores etc.

But its poor current carrier subsidy arrangement in China dooms it to be a high end, aspirational device -- not a mainstream phone. Free Android will dominate in China too (unless the Chinese govt intervenes.)
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/05/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    The Android army marches on and I think webos will be the niche market phone. Wp7 has a better chance of being #4 simply because it starts off with more market share, licenses it OS out to other manufactures, it has Zune built in and it more widely known then Palm. Android ftw!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I don't understand who all these people are. I'd assume that the majority of Android buyers are not first-time cell phone users, and the majority of existing cell phone users are already under contract. Are there really that many people getting new phones EVERY SINGLE DAY? I really cannot imagine that cell phone turnover is that high.

Are we sure this is not just phones "sold" per day, and is actual phone activations per day? As in, are they just stating how many they have sold to carriers that haven't actually made their way to consumers yet?
    Has there even been that many WebOS devices sold ever? Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I don't understand who all these people are. I'd assume that the majority of Android buyers are not first-time cell phone users, and the majority of existing cell phone users are already under contract. Are there really that many people getting new phones EVERY SINGLE DAY? I really cannot imagine that cell phone turnover is that high.

Are we sure this is not just phones "sold" per day, and is actual phone activations per day? As in, are they just stating how many they have sold to carriers that haven't actually made their way to consumers yet?
    Activatiosn don't necessarily mean new devices. Could be an old device sold to someone else (i'm thinking).

Regardless the number is fantastic..i mean in a short 3 months you had 3 HUGE android launches (Droid Incredible, HTC Evo and Droid X)...all of which have kept selling out in stores.

Add to the fact the galaxy's are rolling out..its really not that big of a surprise they are doing well.
    And think what the number would be if the Incredible, Evo and Droid X all had enough units to not be backordered...
    STill can't find an Evo myself. Makes me almost want to wait to check out Windows phone 7