1.    #1  
    Hi all,

There V goes squeezing out the best features of "Froyo"....V has unfortunately done it again!

Take care,

Jay
    PS I should mention I am with V and my contract is up mid Oct. I will change to whatever carrier get the new Palm smart phone, what ever it will be called......V has great service, but by far they are pricey!

Verizon Denies Tethering, Hot Spot Features to Droid Customers
    By Priya Ganapati August 3, 2010 | 4:18 pm |

Read More Verizon Denies Tethering, Hot Spot Features to Droid Customers | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Verizon Denies Tethering, Hot Spot Features to Droid Customers | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Motorola Droid users better not get too excited by Android 2.2, also known as “Froyo.” While Verizon Wireless is set to push out the latest version of the Android operating system to Droid users starting this week, two key features will be missing: tethering and Wi-Fi hot spot capability.

Verizon says the Droid won’t get these two features, which are built into the Android 2.2 OS, because the device’s hardware isn’t capable of supporting it.

“The Droid by Motorola doesn’t have [the] hardware to support a mobile hot spot,” a Verizon spokesperson told MobileCrunch. “With tethering there is no connection on the PC side that will allow you to tether the device, so the answer is: That option isn’t part of this update.”

But some Android developers are not convinced.

“It’s just a business decision,” says Steven Bird, who creates custom ROMs for the Droid. “People who have a Droid see this news. And Verizon can make them think that hot spot or wired tethering is a reason to now upgrade to a new phone.” When the companies finally do offer that upgrade, they are likely to charge for it, says Bird.

Bird isn’t a conspiracy theorist. Homebrew hot spot programs are available for Droids that have been rooted–the Android equivalent of jailbreaking the phone to get complete control. Custom flavors of the Android OS such as CyanogenMod also offer Wi-Fi and USB tethering, says a user.

If the hardware is capable of tethering and acting as a hot spot when running rooted firmware, why can’t it do that with the stock firmware?

A Motorola spokesperson says, “The original Droid by Motorola was not offered with a mobile hot spot feature and will not be upgradable for that feature in the future,” she says. “Our newer devices, such as the Droid X, are enabled for mobile hot spot.”

What also makes Verizon’s claims about the Droid’s hardware capability difficult to believe is that the carrier has a history of disabling features on a phone, only to turn around and charge for it later. For instance, in 2005, a class action lawsuit filed in California claimed Verizon removed some Bluetooth features in Motorola’s v710 phone so it could charge consumers for it separately. More recently, some users have complained about Verizon nickel-and-dimeing users by charging for the visual voicemail service ($3 a month on Verizon compared to AT&T, which offers it for free on the iPhone) and offering no rollover minutes.

If it is truly a hardware issue with the Droid, Verizon needs to step up and explain the details of what the device’s chipset is capable of what and what it can’t do. Consumers are intelligent and they deserve transparency.

Verizon’s moves with the Android also go against what makes the Google-designed operating system so attractive to consumers. By putting the kind of restrictions and controls it is on Android, Verizon is turning the OS into a pale shadow of its original self. If Android was created to help give consumers choice, more features and a better OS, it isn’t working now.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Looks like Verizon is creeping backwards again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Looks like Verizon is creeping backwards again.
    How true....

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I am glad I am not on Verizon.
    This infuriates me, and I dont even have verizon. The US really needs more cell phone carriers.
    I kinda expected this, being charged for things that other carriers do for free seems to be situation-normal for Verizon (*sigh*)
    <This Page is Blank>
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    This infuriates me, and I dont even have verizon. The US really needs more cell phone carriers.
    I hear you! Take care, Jay
    If Virgin Mobile and Cricket would step up their phone selection to more up to date phones, we would have some decent competition. The rates are good, the phone choice just sucks horribly.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If Virgin Mobile and Cricket would step up their phone selection to more up to date phones, we would have some decent competition. The rates are good, the phone choice just sucks horribly.
    How true!!!!!!

Take care,

Jay
    Good old Wired - FUD champions of the Internets. Sometimes the truth will help calm righteous indignation over misinformation. This thread over at HoFo explains what's going on:

Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    No, they are not removing it! The WiFi Chip made by TI does not support what Froyo 2.2 needs to produce the Hotspot. When you root your phone and use WiFi tether, it creates a "AdHoc". With Froyo, it needs a “Access Point". Right now, the WiFi chip can not be made into a Access Point which means it can no be made into a hotspot from Androids Froyo. Verizon isn't doing anything to keep it out.
    Or you can still blame Verizon for something they had nothing to do with if you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    I kinda expected this, being charged for things that other carriers do for free seems to be situation-normal for Verizon (*sigh*)
    Sprint is still the only carrier that will charge you 20 cents a minute to forward calls to another number. Otherwise, they are ok, and the most reasonably priced plans. Whine about poor coverage at home and you can get a free airave.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Good old Wired - FUD champions of the Internets. Sometimes the truth will help calm righteous indignation over misinformation. This thread over at HoFo explains what's going on:

Or you can still blame Verizon for something they had nothing to do with if you prefer.

Rooters of the Droid still claim BS, they have gotten wifi and USB tethering working just fine. And I tend to believe them over some corporation who's known to gouge customers.

P.S. According to this, the TI chip just needs a firmware update.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/08/...-capabilities/
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 08/05/2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added info

I'm a loyal VZW customer. They say/do stupid stuff like frequently, like what the OP is pointing out... But I consider them the lesser of evils...

However, stupidity such as the OP topic, GPS issues, etc, has earned them this bit of press coverage, which would be funny if it didn't sound so plausible:

Verizon Introduces New Charge-You-At-Whim Plan | The Onion - America's Finest News Source