1.    #1  
    I just bought the phone which everyone who actually bought it is raving about, the Pre-Plus. It is loaded with powerful features, and I like that it is open for customization, and the webOS is full of great innovation. For these reasons, and the fact that it is now available much cheaper than the Android and Ipod makes, I don't mind trading certain quality points which go with the P-series competitors.

However, the very fact that the same phone which was priced at $150 less than a year ago is now almost free with a contract has me concerned. In the real world, there is no free lunch, and if you invest in a make which may be sinking, you must consider whether there will be future support for what you buy. Please don't tell me about how customizable and tweakable Palm phones are (as if Android phones aren't), I know that already. I know that there is a loyal crowd of Palmists from the bygone days when PDAs roamed the earth, but there don't seem to be enough new Palm users to maintain the price, and this is clearly for lack of sex appeal and marketing, no matter how richly innovative the webOS system surely is.

Now, besides the Palm phones being cheapened by plastic screens, cheaper cameras, and comparably muddy speakers, they also lag behind it's competitors with flash video support for online streaming video, as they well may lag behind them for any evolving web technology. I know this has been somewhat dependent on Adobe, which doesn't seem to take Palm all-too seriously, and doesn't seem to serious about the promise which it made last year for webOS support.

What do you on this forum think of Adobe's sincerity in it's promise to producie Flash for webOS, and the future of the Palm pre line in light of the rapid price drop?
    Flash will come, but all bets are off as to when.

The price dropped quickly on all carriers the Pre has been on b/c they haven't been selling. Can't say much about the future because there's about to be some new hardware and WebOS 2.0 that's going to be released, so who knows what's going to happen. That's all speculation. What I can say though is that the original Pre and Pre Pluses sold so little and was such a failure that Palm had to be bought up by another company. Most companies interested in buying Palm weren't even interested in the hardware, but more interested in the IP. With those facts in mind, as well as with statistics on developer interest in WebOS and user interest in future mobile hardware, it's pretty safe to say that the first versions of the Pre have been a failure.
    On the launch network (Sprint) there hasn't been a rapid price drop.

I would say the rapid price drop is in part to the long window before the Pre launched on other networks. It came way late on other networks, combined with sub par advertising and sup par carrier support from the other big 2, you saw quick price drops. You are also talking about the carriers that charge more for phones. I mean VZW was Bogo'ing the droid at launch, they do have a habit of finding ways to get people into contracts by subsidizing their phones much heavier than Sprint.

I am not saying any of this to argue that the Pre/Pixi has been a huge success. Just throwing it out there for someone like the OP getting into the game kinda late. The price drops you are seeing are on a device (even if new to the carriers) is old in the market. We are talking technology, and a phone that is technically 14 months from initial release is OLD as far as being in the lime light at retail or in carriers hearts. Carriers need/want to attract new subscribers and they do that by pushing the newest tech.
    uhh, did you not hear?

HP just bought out Palm.

I dont think we have to worry about HP going out of business anytime soon do we?

No.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    uhh, did you not hear?

HP just bought out Palm.

I dont think we have to worry about HP going out of business anytime soon do we?

No.

Do you think HP got to be what it is today by sustaining the promotion of failed products? I don't think so. They bought Palm for the IP real estate, and if sales don't change very soon (which can't happen without new products being released, no matter what current users say), then they will clean house this year.

In my experience over the last few days, what harms Palm the most is what has been driving people away from Apple, but then it's far worse - it's all those cult-minded fools who react to criticism of Palm products as if their sisters had been insulted. For example, I noticed how cool it is being able to make the text on just about any page fit my actual view on my Android device, with no need for side-scrolling whatsoever. I can also double-tap to zoom in 2X (and Palm users seem to think only Palm can do this), but I can then pinch-zoom the text to any huge font size, making it very easy on my eyes, and the whole column still wraps! And the Palmist said "I'm glad I DON'T have that feature - I just turn my Palm on it's side" (guess he's got really good eyes, and never reads pages which aren't perfectly formatted for Palm viewing). Guess he just enjoys seeing the ads in the huge margin, every time he sidescrolls to the end of a line, too.

So many reviews of the Pre are completely non-critical, and they aren't making much sense. Palm isn't a product, it's a religion, which is why it has so many people who don't know what they are talking about when they try and compare Palm to Android. Of course they don't know what they are talking about, when their religion prohibits them from trying anything but Palm! What's it matter that the display goes out for no good reason and cannot be brought back without a reboot or a battery pull - don't they all do that? Well, my Palm did that a lot sooner than Android, which still hasn't, and my next AT&T phone will be an Android too.

By the way, the fun of watching free TV and full-length movies online can only be possible with certain web plugins which Palm has still failed to procure or imitate for it's OS, and now it doesn't seem to have a future at all.

I don't write this because I love Android (I hate it's Google-daddy), which is surely full of more bugs and crapware, but because it truly saddens me that Apple will retain it's place even if they force it's users to look at Steve Job's face as a background, while Android has become the Microsoft of the mobile world. I hope HP will at least do something with the Palm OS under an all-new product line, but it's plain to see that they don't intend to produce any new Palms. The Pre OS is very, very innovative, and very, very nice in the way it handles multitasking, much nicer than Android. The display is super-bright, even in the sun, which I cannot say about most other devices, and this is one thing that's nice about Palm. Palm Pre isn't half as bad as it's cheap, all-plastic look implies, but most buyers aren't going to take a chance on trying that tiny, ugly keyboard, especially now that the touch-screens on other devices have evolved to the point that they actually work well, and in the landscape mode. The Palm Pre is such a sad waste of some of the best ideas for an OS since the first GUI was produced in '83, and with a few smart tweaks I would be able to actually use this system. Ultimately, it was their Andro-phobe users who hobbled it into extinction.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/04/2010 at 09:09 AM.
    Try looking around at other phones..... price drops happen ALL the time. Not sure what you're rates are in the states, but in Canada, when you get a "free" phone with a 3 year term.... and depending on what you have for extras, dataplans etc, ranging from 80-130/month times 36 months = $2880 - $4680....I think they have their phones paid for somewhere in those numbers....NOTHING is for free no matter how sweet the deal looks, especially when it comes to those pirates that we know as cellular providers.

From the land of one of the highest cellular rates in the WORLD, Canada
  7.    #7  
    Sledge, it took five years for the average iphone price to fall by half!

Did Palm Pre ever enjoy the sensational popularity of the LG Expo, the new HTC Android phones, or the Samsung Captivate? THINK!!! The prices of hot phones don't fall that quickly, and Palm has always had way too many of it's eggs in that one basket - now they're finished!
    <<Since this has turned into a cross-platform discussion, moved thread to right forum>>
    Do not fear.

Give them time.
    Why do you want flash on your cell phone? seems like a stupid feature.
    regardless of how long it took for iphones to drop, then go back to supply and demand ratios for explanation....the entire world wanted an iphone, they only had so many available, they will milk it for all it's worth. You know and I know that the Pre is a good phone, but ordinary Joe doesn't know that, lack of sales = free phone....but ..... you still are paying for it one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Use_Choosername View Post

Did Palm Pre ever enjoy the sensational popularity of the LG Expo, the new HTC Android phones, or the Samsung Captivate? THINK!!! The prices of hot phones don't fall that quickly, and Palm has always had way too many of it's eggs in that one basket - now they're finished!
    Who made the first smartphone.. Not Apple, Not Google, Not LG, Nor HTC or Samsung! it was someone else.

Yes, Palm has had some issues. If you do not like the phone go get a different one. We are not going to stand here and hear you whine about it does this or it doesn't do that. Then attempt to keep you happy with this and that. If the phone does not do what you need it to do then move on. I'm not speaking for the forum here but why whinge on something that you should have known about before buying the phone. For most of us we have what we need out of the phone. If not we tweak/patch it to do what we want. Heck with Android ATT and now Verizon are crippling those phones again. Yes you can install a custom rom but i hope there is a way to get the old rom back if you need a warranty exchange... At least with Palm they on MANY occasions have opening embraced the Homebrew community minus the Overclocking.

Do let the door hit you on the way out.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    You're concerned about a price drop on a +15 month old device? Unless it's an iphone, it's a very common practice. As far as flash is concerned, no thanks. My battery hurts enough as it is.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Do you think HP got to be what it is today by sustaining the promotion of failed products? I don't think so. They bought Palm for the IP real estate, and if sales don't change very soon (which can't happen without new products being released, no matter what current users say), then they will clean house this year.
    That may be your view, but it's not the what HP is saying. Maybe they're lying, but I can't imagine to what end. To sell out a few remaining units? Nope, i don't see that. Can you think of any realistic reasons that HP would claim the opposite of what you're saying here if it wasn't true?
    Different product, different situation. Blackberry's have dropped in price after release as well, that's the nature of the business.

Ahhh, that last sentence explains a lot. I suspect you've not really come on here to preach the gospel that Palm is finished. I can't imagine why in the world someone would buy a phone (you did say you "just bought" it) when they believed the company was "finished".

What in the world were you thinking???
  16. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

What a short memory you have. You don't remember the huge outcry when Apple dropped the price of the iPhone by $200 just a couple months after it came out? Maybe this will remind you. iPhone went from $600 to $400 then $400 to $200 in a very short time.
    They bought Palm for the IP real estate, and if sales don't change very soon (which can't happen without new products being released, no matter what current users say), then they will clean house this year.
    I don't know where you got this information, but HP is planning on new hardware running WebOS later this year and is going to be using it as its mobile OS, exclusively. IP might play a part in this, but the way they are releasing new hardware like that, I don't think it's the main reason.

In my experience over the last few days, what harms Palm the most is what has been driving people away from Apple, but then it's far worse - it's all those cult-minded fools who react to criticism of Palm products as if their sisters had been insulted.
    LOL, yeah there sure are a lot of cult-minded fools. Not sure about if they hurt Palm the most. I think it's mostly due to crappy hardware. It looks like you're grouping everybody into fan boy territory. Pretty inaccurate there. For me, if you want to vent about your phone, vent about your phone. I'm not going to say I know what's best for you and I'm not going to force you to like a phone. All I have to say is, put on your your flame suit.
    As far as "cult-minded" folks hurting a phone maker, first I LOL, then....

Okay well if anything Apple has shown "cult-minded" folks actually make companies money. Sorry, but they do, Apple/Mac fans have made the iPhone what it is in the market.

Second, the average user isn't affected at all by "cult-minded" folks on these forums. The majority of all smartphone users are not on these forums. With how bad advertising has been and carrier support, if anything the "cult-minded" folks have helped to sell a few phones. Not one person was talked out of buying a WebOS device by someone who is a fan of a WebOS device.

Even to take your analogy of people being driven away from the iPhone by "cult-minded" folks, the WebOS market isn't big enough (sadly) for people to be driven away by fans of the phone. My friends aren't not buying the Pre because my wife and I love it, they are not buying the Pre and own the iPhone because they like the iPhone (and are huge Apple geeks, but that's another story).

As someone else said, odd first post for someone who just bought the phone, to now have all these thoughts and knowledge of the smartphone market...... just saying is all.

Ohh yeah and as other people pointed out, but not only did Apple drop the price of the iPhone soon after launch. Technically they drop the price of the phone every year when a new one comes out (the year old one gets cheaper).... WebOS is well over a year old in the market place... so as I said in my first post, price drops make sense. Ohh and technically it's the CARRIERS dropping prices in some cases (they are the ones that subsidize the contract price).