Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Android's momentum is undeniable -- or as Stalin once said: "Quantity has a quality all its own ..."

If the trend continues for another year like this, there will be little oxygen for new entrants like WP7, or for the reentry of webOS.

Android's momentum even endangers Apple's negotiating leverage with Verizon

Android Takes the Lead in the US
    Nancy Gohring, IDG News
    Aug 2, 2010

Android took the top U.S. spot among smartphones shipped in the second quarter, according to new research from Canalys.

Android devices made up a 34 percent share of phones shipped in the U.S. market in the quarter, followed by Research In Motion at 32.1 percent and Apple with 21.7 percent, Canalys found.

That means Android had a huge 851 percent growth rate over the previous year in the U.S. That's largely because a year earlier there were few models of Android phones available.

Canalys also said that the U.S. is the largest smartphone market in the world by a big margin, with 14.7 million phones shipped in the quarter, accounting for 23 percent of global shipments.

Nokia continues to maintain the lead on a worldwide basis, with 38 percent market share in the quarter. It accounted for 76.9 percent of smartphones in China, the second largest smartphone market in the world, followed by Motorola with a 4.7 percent share there, Canalys said.

Still, the researchers see a potential for Android growth there too. Nearly 475,000 Android phones were sold in China in the second quarter, up from almost none last year, Canalys said. Also, China Mobile continues to develop its own platform based on Android and sold an additional 174,000 phones in the quarter based on that platform, Canalys said.

Overall, the smartphone market grew by 64 percent worldwide in the quarter. RIM phones grew by 41 percent and Apple's iPhone shipments grew 61 percent. Apple had a worldwide smartphone market share of 13 percent during the period, Canalys found.
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/02/2010 at 04:18 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Well at least MSFT has sense enough to announce something so people they're still around. HP/Palm = crickets so far.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Android has flooded the market place. Not really surprising. I still don't care for Android. Still very clunky for me. After WebOS, it's like taking a step backwards with Android. Most people have to go with Android if you're not on AT&T.

Right now, it's more about Apple vs Google. Everyone else is a far away third place.

Give me some WebOS on HTC Evo hw and then they'll be speaking my language.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Flooding the market doesn't mean everyone will buy. Remember Windows Mobile?

its pretty obvious people like android for one reason or another. My guess, its not as clunky as some people keep trying to make it out to be.

(i will agree, iOS and WebOS have a more "straight forward" UI though...but i don't think that makes android clunky).
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Windows Mobile was quite successful in its day via multiple handset manufacturers including Palm and HP. In fact, they still have 11% market share in the survey, even though they have had practically zero marketing and hardly anything new for a couple of years.
    In the day it was only Windows Mobile and Palm OS.

As soon as blackberry started targeting to consumers people were leaving Windows Mobile...its been on a slow decline.

I'm saying regardless of flooding the market, WebOS is on 3 of the 4 major carriers with lackluster sales. Yet iPhone is on one network with one device with stupendous sales.

I don't think it correlates at all...just depends how the consumer views each product. If android was as clunky as some on this forum make it out to be, if you think a general consumer that are ditching feature phones for smartphone would put up with it you haven't met many general consumers haha.
  6.    #6  
    one of the quality advantages Android has in its quantity, is its accommodation to variability and hardware innovation.

Not everyone wants precisely the same interface or hardware -- Android allows that improvisation by its OEMs

If anyone reads what I've written on this repeatedly, the fixed UI and limited hardware flexibility of WP7 is likely one of its greatest vulnerabilities
    The hardware flexibility of WP7 however, doesn't effect the high end. It came go as high end tech wise as it wants (only limited to the screen resolution).
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The hardware flexibility of WP7 however, doesn't effect the high end. It came go as high end tech wise as it wants (only limited to the screen resolution).
    yes -- but the "state of the art" of ARM procs etc is now at a plateau -- what variability on the high end can there be ??? more memory, bigger battery ??? cup holders ????
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/02/2010 at 04:40 PM.
    haha...higher quality cameras, 3 mics like the Droid X, keyboard configs, slab configs.

I dunno...these companies have more ideas then me i'd imagine haha.

its pretty obvious people like android for one reason or another. My guess, its not as clunky as some people keep trying to make it out to be.

(i will agree, iOS and WebOS have a more "straight forward" UI though...but i don't think that makes android clunky).
    Agreed! What they have is a "hook". The days of a handset only company is long gone.

Apple = music and a Mac user base
    Google = e-mail, search, maps established a fan base before the phone hit
    Microsoft = Windows integration (not such a selling point but once it was)
    Blackberry = entrenched corporate presence (once you spent for a server...)

Palm = ????? (tradition, reputation, but not much more)

This is where Palm's next (and probably last) opportunity lies. HP has strength in PC's, networking, printers and a foothold in the corporate world. They had better leverage all of that.

How they can do that is the subject for a whole new thread.
  11.    #11  
    haha...higher quality cameras, 3 mics like the Droid X, keyboard configs, slab configs.

I dunno...these companies have more ideas then me i'd imagine haha.
    yes, ok --

but ultimately if the trend continues the oxygen for almost everything else gets sucked from the room

Its what happened with Windows -- its what gives Steve the bejebees, and its why he's at a disadvantage negotiating with Verizon right now

(and if I know anything about my good friend Steve, its that he does not like negotiating from a position of perceived weakness ...)

Actually, after using Android on the Evo, yes, it is clunky. I'm the end user and I'm also a software engineer. It's clunky. At one time, WinMO had it's following as well, back in the day. However, it's not even relevant anymore. Win7 won't change much of that either but they'd probably be happy to pick up the scraps from Bberry defections.

What Android does have are two things that many want:

1. Number of apps (which also includes the fact that they have more than one provider to choose from, unlike iPhone). This one doesn't bother me much. I'm not much of an app person. With the exception of maybe two or three apps, the apps I need are already available on WebOS.

2. The hardware (and it's perception among the public with it's screen size and 720p out, etc). Android is on some really impressive hw. This is where I envy the hw, not Android, but the hw that Android sits on. This is where my Pre lags but it's also a really old device that from the beginning has had quality issues.

I am impressed with the hw (although I was expecting more from the graphics card on the Evo with games and such).

With that being said, Android is a mature OS and WebOS still has lots of growing up to do. In today's market, it's still Apple vs Google and that's not changing anytime soon.

Obviously, just my opinion.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Wow Android is absolutley dominating. and no signs of letting up.
    Well, I have and Evo and I don't think the OS is clunky at all and obvious by the numbers the general public don't think so either. You just got to take the time to learn it like I did with the Pre and with Froyo and flash out today I guess I got more to do. Android is a little over one year older than Webos and if you average the amount of apps that Android got in a year compared webos its like 12 to 1. So in one year Android got 36,000 apps to webos 3000. The new figures out put Android at around 82 to 100 thousand apps, i'm going by the old figure of 72.

And the Android army marching on!
    Last edited by kinster02; 08/02/2010 at 08:49 PM.
    What do you mean by clunky guys?

I was showing my friend how easy it is to adjust brightness, wifi, and turn on the led. His was just as easy with less pokes than it took me.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I think its a classic case of protectionism....everyone feels their OS is better than the others. Well, I'm not loyal to any OS and I happen to like Android. Wow, Froyos out for the Evo got go check out that flash 10.1. Now that most Android devices is getting flash hopefully they can come around and put it out for webos, I doubt it!
    Last edited by kinster02; 08/02/2010 at 08:54 PM.
    Although Andriod gets the credit, its the multiple harware pieces that allow it to take the lead. iOS is on 1 phone and 1 network, unlike Android which has NOTHING to do except since its the same OS on many many different devices, with WM7 seeming to follow the same blueprint.

For now it seems that webOS will be more of Apples model.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Although Andriod gets the credit, its the multiple harware pieces that allow it to take the lead. iOS is on 1 phone and 1 network, unlike Android which has NOTHING to do except since its the same OS on many many different devices, with WM7 seeming to follow the same blueprint.

For now it seems that webOS will be more of Apples model.
    An Apple model with a tiny and diminishing market share, no current hardware, no supportive advertising, an owner unsure of where it fits in its plans, no carrier commitments, and little App development.

Yes, just like Apple...

(Alright -- I know you meant in the sense of the OS being tied to hardware -- like RIM, webOS, Apple etc... could not resist...)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    An Apple model with a tiny and diminishing market share, no current hardware, no supportive advertising, an owner unsure of where it fits in its plans, no carrier commitments, and little App development.

Yes, just like Apple...

(Alright -- I know you meant in the sense of the OS being tied to hardware -- like RIM, webOS, Apple etc... could not resist...)
    Hahahaha yes, its ALL about hardware and apps for Android. Remember when it was the G1, no one gave a rats **** about it, then google partnered with many hardware makers and decided to flood the market. It doesnt matter to most end-users who dont have a clue if they have the latest and greatest engine (OS) under the hood....but they got sweeeeet hardware.

Once HP comes out with something, I think they will be fine since there is such antincipation and their reach is deep on the business and consumer side. It just better be the BOMB!! I am ready to give up this Honda Accord for the Bently/Rolles Royce of smartphones.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 08/02/2010 at 10:09 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    That means Android had a huge 851 percent growth rate over the previous year in the U.S. That's largely because a year earlier there were few models of Android phones available.
    unfortunately I have to apologize and issue a correction.

It seems that the originally quoted 851 percent growth rate is wrong.

I am deeply embarrassed, and regret the error.

The true number as reported by the NY TImes is:

886 percent.

"... on Monday a report by Canalys, an online research firm, said Android smartphone sales grew as much as 886 percent in the second quarter of 2010..."

Android Beats iPhone With New Subscribers - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/03/2010 at 04:07 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast