Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Looking forward to HP palms new release of webOS products...hopefully by 3rd qtr 2010
    We are smack in the middle of the 3rd quarter 2010?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    To sum up where this thread has gone...

There is so much speculation, hope and optimism (in this thread) about what HP is going to do with webOS, that we have already created an entire (future) ecosystem (in our minds) AND are comparing how it would compete against current (existing) technology ecosystems!

All of this from an original topic of mobile OS market shares... and where webOS falls in comparison.
    "We're working a wide variety, as Todd said, smartphones definitely, slates, netbooks, working with the guys in the printer group. webOS [...] will have a unified user interface across all of these, will have a unified developer environment, and it's all based on the foundation that we build in webOS from day one. When we developed webOS, we thought about making this scalable across a variety of mobile devices; that's what we'll be delivering going forward."

I believe the statements that palm and hp have been releasing for months.
    period
    We are smack in the middle of the 3rd quarter 2010?
    oops. By end of 3rd qtr...early 4th. Thank you
    "We're working a wide variety, as Todd said, smartphones definitely, slates, netbooks, working with the guys in the printer group. webOS [...] will have a unified user interface across all of these, will have a unified developer environment, and it's all based on the foundation that we build in webOS from day one. When we developed webOS, we thought about making this scalable across a variety of mobile devices; that's what we'll be delivering going forward."

period
    I believe it too. I'm sure they did think about scaling WebOS to a variety of devices when they were developing it. As we've seen, however, they were not capable of getting it to work optimally on even their own phone hardware. I'm curious what performance will be like on slates and other handsets. Overclocking speeds things up all around, but doesn't eliminate lag and random non-responsiveness, so more horsepower isn't the fix.

I'm also curious as to when the "developer environment" will be finished, much less unified.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If by "the wild", you are counting store shelves and warehouses, then sure.

But during their last ever quarterly results, their cumulative sellthrough for all Palm products (including non WebOS devices) since the launch of the Pre totaled to 1.5 million or so. Assuming 1.4 million were WebOS devices, they were a good ways off from 2 million, much less "over" and "close to 3 million.
    Pandora has over 2 million downloads in the app catalog. Unless people are downloading Pandora multiple times over I see this being a good indicator of how many phones are out there.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Pandora has over 2 million downloads in the app catalog. Unless people are downloading Pandora multiple times over I see this being a good indicator of how many phones are out there.
    Secondhand market, sir.
    Thank you good sir.

I will take an order of Kumquats... 300 lbs please.

Are you willing to share your favorite recipe using kumquats? ...
    you're welcome

an order of 300 lbs will have to wait till they are in season

and do you remember the soup naz_i from the tv show seinfeld? well im the kumquat naz_i - NO kumquats FOR YOU! lol
    The return/replacement rate of the Pre alone is enough to make that statistic meaningless as presented. To be even marginally worthwhile, you would have to know how many unique accounts Pandora has been downloaded to, but that number is, conveniently, not available.
    oops. By end of 3rd qtr...early 4th. Thank you
    So in 6 weeks? Impressive. Unlikely.
    To sum up where this thread has gone...

There is so much speculation, hope and optimism (in this thread) about what HP is going to do with webOS, that we have already created an entire (future) ecosystem (in our minds) AND are comparing how it would compete against current (existing) technology ecosystems!

All of this from an original topic of mobile OS market shares... and where webOS falls in comparison.
    Perfect. As we all know, any future, fictional, speculative device dreamed up by zealots and 'believers' will always be better than any device rooted in reality or the present. Optimism is the general disposition to think positively about things. What we're hearing in this thread is certainty - in the face of a contradicting reality. There's probably a word for that, but it might be a bannable word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Perfect. As we all know, any future, fictional, speculative device dreamed up by zealots and 'believers' will always be better than any device rooted in reality or the present. Optimism is the general disposition to think positively about things. What we're hearing in this thread is certainty - in the face of a contradicting reality. There's probably a word for that, but it might be a bannable word.
    the fountain of truth.
    thank you .

period
    Will it scale with the Zeen? Dumb name btw.

What say you, webOS-nation? Interested in a Zeen?

UPDATE: Engadget's gotten additional deets on the Zeen, and in the process dashed our hopes of seeing webOS. According to their multiple sources, the Zeen is going to be an Android 2.1-powered device with an HP overlay. Yeah, Android. This sucker is also a capacitive tablet with an SD-slot, video support, and - get this - "significant integration with the Barnes & Noble Nook bookstore and ecosystem." Additionally, there's a "Zeus" printer to go along with the Zeen, bundled together they'll go for a cool $399.

One gets the feeling that HP bought webOS for IP reasons. Apple won't touch anyone holding palm's patents.

So cool..an android palmpad. I wonder if the "HP overlay" is where they're taking webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Will it scale with the Zeen? Dumb name btw.

What say you, webOS-nation? Interested in a Zeen?

UPDATE: Engadget's gotten additional deets on the Zeen, and in the process dashed our hopes of seeing webOS. According to their multiple sources, the Zeen is going to be an Android 2.1-powered device with an HP overlay. Yeah, Android. This sucker is also a capacitive tablet with an SD-slot, video support, and - get this - "significant integration with the Barnes & Noble Nook bookstore and ecosystem." Additionally, there's a "Zeus" printer to go along with the Zeen, bundled together they'll go for a cool $399.

One gets the feeling that HP bought webOS for IP reasons. Apple won't touch anyone holding palm's patents.

So cool..an android palmpad. I wonder if the "HP overlay" is where they're taking webOS?
    as I said in the other post:

The Zeen is a stop gap irrelevancy -- it was clearly in the pipeline prior to the Palm acquisition, HP almost certainly will not produce any more dual Android/webOS devices.

Why would they ?? They will want with webOS to emulate Apple's brand differentiating look and ecosystem -- for pads.

I doubt they see much value in shipping a dual Android webOS device -- it complicates both support and marketing.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    as I said in the other post:

The Zeen is a stop gap irrelevancy -- it was clearly in the pipeline prior to the Palm acquisition, HP almost certainly will not produce any more dual Android/webOS devices.

Why would they ?? They will want with webOS to emulate Apple's brand differentiating look and ecosystem -- for pads.

I doubt they see much value in shipping a dual Android webOS device -- it complicates both support and marketing.
    You're kidding right? So say HP lives up to the promises of having a webOS ecosystem. If you buy this printer or Zeen, you're screwed. Why buy them at all?

Why introduce an android brand just to abandon it a few months later? They'll have to continue to support it, provide updates to Froyo and 3.0 later? That's far from emulating apple if they abandon it quickly for webOS later. Apple is all about building brands..not confusing the crap out of people.

It makes much more sense that if this gets to market then what i suggested is their plan all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You're kidding right? So say HP lives up to the promises of having a webOS ecosystem. If you buy this printer or Zeen, you're screwed. Why buy them at all?

Why introduce an android brand just to abandon it a few months later? They'll have to continue to support it, provide updates to Froyo and 3.0 later? That's far from emulating apple if they abandon it quickly for webOS later. Apple is all about building brands..not confusing the crap out of people.

It makes much more sense that if this gets to market then what i suggested is their plan all along.
    HP cares more about selling ink than anything else (they will even time out perfectly good cartridges -- but thats a scandal for another day)

They will happily make it possible to print from Android -- or from OS-BARYE, if I had enough market share.

Android pads will be made by lots of OEMs -- HP will gladly give them printer drivers, but I presume it will want to differentiate itself with webOS pads.

As far as HP having a credible consistent strategic vision -- they are not Apple -- they are run and managed by pea brained bean counters.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  16.    #136  
    Hey Clutch - it looks like you might get your dual-boot tablet after all. Android & webOS. Or perhaps even tri-boot along with Windows 7. They already have a tablet Windows 7 skin for the HP Slate, Android for the Zeen and just bought webOS. It would be the perfect trifecta of unproven tablet operating systems. You could get your email and browse the web three completely different ways.

On the subject of the Zeen - it really shows what HP is about compared to Apple. HP has no problem dumping a dead-end tablet on consumers via their discount warehouse and other retail channels. Consumers look at HP's as one-time stand-alone non-upgradable purchases to use and throw away when obsolete. There are no HP fanb0ys out there - although there seem to be some getting started here.

Service and support are no problem - they are in the printer business. Just add the drivers to the web-support zoo that they maintain for all of their other dead-end devices. They serviced the iPaq all this time, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Hey Clutch - it looks like you might get your dual-boot tablet after all. Android & webOS. Or perhaps even tri-boot along with Windows 7. They already have a tablet Windows 7 skin for the HP Slate, Android for the Zeen and just bought webOS. It would be the perfect trifecta of unproven tablet operating systems. You could get your email and browse the web three completely different ways.

On the subject of the Zeen - it really shows what HP is about compared to Apple. HP has no problem dumping a dead-end tablet on consumers via their discount warehouse and other retail channels. Consumers look at HP's as one-time stand-alone non-upgradable purchases to use and throw away when obsolete. There are no HP fanb0ys out there - although there seem to be some getting started here.

Service and support are no problem - they are in the printer business. Just add the drivers to the web-support zoo that they maintain for all of their other dead-end devices. They serviced the iPaq all this time, didn't they?
    yes ... options... just terrible aren't they...

"While Robison did specifically mention netbooks, he also helped to put the role of webOS in their product ecosystem into context - that it'll live side-by-side with Windows based products that are aimed for people who are looking to do productivity tasks: "We're not trying to wreck the market we've already got." "
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The return/replacement rate of the Pre alone is enough to make that statistic meaningless as presented. To be even marginally worthwhile, you would have to know how many unique accounts Pandora has been downloaded to, but that number is, conveniently, not available.
    Agreed. My wife is now on Pre #9 (maybe #10... I lose track... 2 more in the past couple weeks...). And has downloaded Pandora on every handset. And then there are my 4-5 Pre's and multiple doctors... And then my daughters 3-4 handsets...

Although based on the numbers we have seen... I think it is likely in that ball park.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567