Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  

I think the new Palm will look like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ... As far as enterprise, HP is using a Windows 7 "Slate 500" there, no?
    there is no Windows slate -- and if you read what I posted yesterday, there will not be one for a year at least

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    this story adds to the background of M$ buying that license for ARM's chips

It now realizes that it can't compete with the ipad using current intel silicon -- but neither does it have an OS that can run on currently available ARM processors

How much of the pad market will M$ be able to capture a year from now ??

Microsoft Won't Get Into The Tablet Game For Another Whole Year

Jay Yarow, August 2, 2010

Apple will see no iPad competition from Microsoft for at least one year, thanks to Microsoft's reliance on Intel.

Steve Ballmer calls producing an iPad-killer "job one" at Microsoft, but he also says, "We'll get a boost sometime after the new year when Intel brings its new Oak Trail processor to market."

In other words, Microsoft is waiting for the Intel's "Oak Trail" processor, which is low-power and targeted at tablets, before it can really attack the iPad.

Because Oak Trail isn't coming until early 2011, Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet points out, that means it's going to be a few quarters before hardware makers are putting Oak Trail chips in devices.

So, if everything goes according to schedule, we won't see a real Windows tablet until this time next year.

At that point, iPad 2 will be on the market, likely with a beautiful retina display, and front facing camera for FaceTime chats. Apple will have probably sold 12-14 million units, too.

Just like in the smartphone market, Microsoft will be playing catch-up
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Is it me or it feels like Hpalm sleeping behind the wheel. As i type this RIM is doing a product launch for AT&T. EVO 4G has the 2.2 android with Flash....Meanwhile we are getting 3D games with way to play 'em without the update
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    there is no Windows slate -- and if you read what I posted yesterday, there will not be one for a year at least
    The HP Slate 500: Eight models of Windows 7 tablet goodness

I don't know when it will be released, but they are still apparently releasing it. I highly doubt "PalmPad" will be a big enterprise priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Is it me or it feels like Hpalm sleeping behind the wheel. As i type this RIM is doing a product launch for AT&T. EVO 4G has the 2.2 android with Flash....Meanwhile we are getting 3D games with way to play 'em without the update
    I give RIM credit for one thing: Execution. Here's our event, here's our carrier, and here's what you're getting...one week from now.

Of course, it leaked like mad leading up to it. But still...
  6.    #66  
    This is why the "it's only been XX days since the acquisition of Palm by HP" is irrelevant - nobody cares. The competition doesn't care - it's going to release its new hardware. The carriers don't care - they have pretty strict timelines because they are in a crazy technological race. Microsoft was late with the Kin and Verizon put it out to die. Certainly the customers don't care - "Hmm...this Palm phone isn't anything special but for what Palm has gone through it's quite admirable - SOLD!"
    No no no hpalm is going to reward us loyal customers with it's best phone ever. It's only been about a month since the deal closed, and with HP's resources and scale, the next phone is going to be amazing! Just give it some time. I'm talking about 4" screen, 1+GHz, 512+mb RAM, glass screen, improved hardware... This thing is going to be a speed demon! Just imagine! All we have to do is wait and it will be there! And front-facing camera too. HP is overflowing with $$ and with thousands of people working on the project, how can it go wrong? Imagine overclocking the thing. With the homebrew support, WebOS 2.0 is sure to fly. And with >30% of blackberry users looking to switch out, and a handful of android and iphone users looking for the same thing, that's a good potential market right there. All those other users of other brands just follow the pack and don't know what's good for themselves. I do, though. It's Palm and HP. Ohhh yeah

Just kidding.
    Um...didn't you forget iTunes, the most popular media management software in the world - currently existing on tens of millions of PCs - along with the forthcoming relaunch of Apple TV with cloud storage and possible TiVO integration?

I think you mean that HP has a limited version of what Apple has planned when it comes to consumers. As far as enterprise, HP is using a Windows 7 "Slate 500" there, no?
    I'm not including a service like itunes or the pay service apple uses to sync docs....
    I am not talking abouy HP current options...i think it is obviois from my posts that I am speaking of what they are working on launching.
    I am talking about their plans to run webOS on many devices... Allowing individuals to sync all kinds of data between all of their devices... Not just mp3, mp4 etc...

this is already turning into a p.i.s.s.i.n.g contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I'm not including a service like itunes or the pay service apple uses to sync docs....
    I am not talking abouy HP current options...i think it is obviois from my posts that I am speaking of what they are working on launching.
    I am talking about their plans to run webOS on many devices... Allowing individuals to sync all kinds of data between all of their devices... Not just mp3, mp4 etc...

this is already turning into a p.i.s.s.i.n.g contest.
    Huh? I don't own or want an iPhone. I'm simply pointing out the reality of the situation. You can say "i'm not including a service like iTunes", but it's clear that consumers do because leveraging iTunes - required for using their spiffy iPods - is exactly how Apple made iPhone, iPad, etc. such successes.

In case you haven't seen an iPad hooked up to iTunes, it's used to sync EVERY file - word documents, comics, PDFs, movies, whatever - between devices/desktops.

It's already done and more effective than anything HP will be able to do. I happen to have an HP Mini 311 and an HP printer. I say "happen to have" because there was nothing on either device that compelled to me to buy another HP product or stay within their "ecosystem". The printer just happened to be on sale that day. The HP Mini 311 was the best featured notebook I found at the time. Them buying WebOS won't help me in any form or fashion. I can boot into both Jolicloud and Windows 7 faster than my Pre can get into WebOS. Then I'm multitasking with a real browser at 720p resolution with a kazillion free apps. What good would it do me to put WebOS on my Mini 311? What good would it do me to own a Pre as opposed to any other smartphone? The best sync solution for the Pre is still iTunes.

HP's ecosystem - such as it is - is a Windows-based one. Apple built theirs with their own OS off the blockbuster sales of a single product. What HP product has enjoyed comparable sales or has comparable brand recognition?
    I'm with mikah on this one. WebOS will live on but I highly doubt the major push is going to be on smart phones. Additionally, we very well might be at the point of no return when it comes to handsets. At least, we may be there for this round.

Between RIM, Google, Apple and MS, there isn't much room left.

I have a stinking feeling many on this forum are going to be sorely disappointed.
    Huh? I don't own or want an iPhone. I'm simply pointing out the reality of the situation. You can say "i'm not including a service like iTunes", but it's clear that consumers do because leveraging iTunes - required for using their spiffy iPods - is exactly how Apple made iPhone, iPad, etc. such successes.

In case you haven't seen an iPad hooked up to iTunes, it's used to sync EVERY file - word documents, comics, PDFs, movies, whatever - between devices/desktops.

It's already done and more effective than anything HP will be able to do. I happen to have an HP Mini 311 and an HP printer. I say "happen to have" because there was nothing on either device that compelled to me to buy another HP product or stay within their "ecosystem". The printer just happened to be on sale that day. The HP Mini 311 was the best featured notebook I found at the time. Them buying WebOS won't help me in any form or fashion. I can boot into both Jolicloud and Windows 7 faster than my Pre can get into WebOS. Then I'm multitasking with a real browser at 720p resolution with a kazillion free apps. What good would it do me to put WebOS on my Mini 311? What good would it do me to own a Pre as opposed to any other smartphone? The best sync solution for the Pre is still iTunes.

HP's ecosystem - such as it is - is a Windows-based one. Apple built theirs with their own OS off the blockbuster sales of a single product. What HP product has enjoyed comparable sales or has comparable brand recognition?
    I hear you....
    it's all just speculation... So we shall see what hp is putting together.

itunes is a very impresive service apple offers...
    I know many who choose not to ise it... Because of it's control/limitations.

HP doesn't have to top apple in popularity... Outsell etc... For me to be satisfied.
    they have to offer envy quality smartphones and tablets...on a webOS ecosystem... And it will be successful.

my point is this is their strategy. They will offer the world a line of products to synchronize their lives with... And it will be an alternative to apples offering. It will bring more competition... And it will offer more options for users to sync their data...with less restrictions and $$$ than apple currently offers.
    it will be a win win for consumers... Even if it is not the top selling platform.

this will be the HP difference in the mobile space..imo
    Again, I think you're slightly confused (in the most objective, insult-free meaning of the word).

You're describing what Microsoft is doing with Xbox Live/ZunePass/Windows 7/Microsoft Office/Windows Phone 7.

What ecosystem is there to share between a WebOS slate, a WebOS netbook, and a WebOS smartphone? They bought a streaming music company. Ok....but WP7 will have that out of the box, and Google and Android already have several cloud/streaming options. What video are they going to offer that iTunes, the Samsung Media Hub, and Xbox/Zune marketplace will not already have?

You say they will offer the world a line of products to synchronize their lives with, but who do you know that isn't already doing that with Google contacts/Gmail/Google Docs/etc.?
    Again, I think you're slightly confused (in the most objective, insult-free meaning of the word).

You're describing what Microsoft is doing with Xbox Live/ZunePass/Windows 7/Microsoft Office/Windows Phone 7.

What ecosystem is there to share between a WebOS slate, a WebOS netbook, and a WebOS smartphone? They bought a streaming music company. Ok....but WP7 will have that out of the box, and Google and Android already have several cloud/streaming options. What video are they going to offer that iTunes, the Samsung Media Hub, and Xbox/Zune marketplace will not already have?

You say they will offer the world a line of products to synchronize their lives with, but who do you know that isn't already doing that with Google contacts/Gmail/Google Docs/etc.?
    excellent point. Also, thanks from refraining from using condescending tones .... They "im superior" approach can be offensive... . Being sincere
    I'm working... Every post I make is from my pre...when I get spare minutes to do so.
    I will follow up with links and examples of what I mean...and less opinions... When I get out of here...
    in the meantime...anyone else want to entertain HP strategy....
  14.    #74  
    This is the same kind of discussion that was going on prior to the launch of the Pre where people on this forum touted all of these features that the Pre was supposedly going to be great at - with no evidence, at all, that these things were actually going to exist or work. Like the one where your phone can tell that you are running late for a meeting and send a message to everyone for you.

It's ridiculous to compare features that you hope will exist on a new device with ones that do exist on devices that are already shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This is the same kind of discussion that was going on prior to the launch of the Pre where people on this forum touted all of these features that the Pre was supposedly going to be great at - with no evidence, at all, that these things were actually going to exist or work. Like the one where your phone can tell that you are running late for a meeting and send a message to everyone for you.

It's ridiculous to compare features that you hope will exist on a new device with ones that do exist on devices that are already shipping.
    right.. Palm 600 employees. HP 300,000 employees. not the same thing.

ponder this.... an envy quality HP Tablet ( netbook, current laptops), dualbooting win7 / webOS. The ability to launch webOS from win7.

Would that give consumers access to itunes and many other services... Plus webOS apps etc?
    Does anyone else here see an advantage to this configuration compared to Ios iphone and ipad?

Android... different thought for a different post.
    right.. Palm 600 employees. HP 300,000 employees. not the same thing.

ponder this.... an envy quality HP Tablet ( netbook, current laptops), dualbooting win7 / webOS. The ability to launch webOS from win7.

Would that give consumers access to itunes and many other services... Plus webOS apps etc?
    Does anyone else here see an advantage to this configuration compared to Ios iphone and ipad?

Android... different thought for a different post.
    Plus WebOS apps? You act like that's a value add. It isn't unless we're talking about games, and those are the same games that run on iOS.

Thing is, HP has tried that before. They put a MediaSmart frontend on their touchscreen desktops. They revamped Voodoo's "IOS" on their netbooks as a custom Linux distro. IOS was used just as WebOS would be....as a lightweight OS for mobile hardware.
  17.    #77  
    The whole point of a tablet is to make computing easier and more accessible. That's why the Tablet PC failed and the iPad succeeded. It's a deceptively simple concept. That is also why among all of the articles about the latest tablet craze you will probably not find any mention of dual booting a tablet outside of this discussion forum. You might as well put up a notification that says "Sorry, we couldn't come up with a way to make this work better for you - you have to reboot."

PS - If I have gone to the trouble of having the hardware required to and taken the time to boot up in Windows 7, why the hell would I want to run a webOS app?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The whole point of a tablet is to make computing easier and more accessible. That's why the Tablet PC failed and the iPad succeeded. It's a deceptively simple concept. That is also why among all of the articles about the latest tablet craze you will probably not find any mention of dual booting a tablet outside of this discussion forum. You might as well put up a notification that says "Sorry, we couldn't come up with a way to make this work better for you - you have to reboot."
    you do realize that is your opinion.

if webOS is launched from within win7.... No reboot required.
    also_ you do realize that $= currently offers a "quick launch" on their current laptops( not sure of exact name). That would most likely be replaced with webOS.
    some people like to spend time focusing on what others ( companies etc ) can't do.
    imo, waste of time.
    I want to focus one what they can do...
    http://www.precentral.net/what-do-you-want-webos-20

gr8 discussion... Check it out when you get a moment.
    you do realize that is your opinion.

if webOS is launched from within win7.... No reboot required.
    Wait, what? You're saying HP should run WebOS in a VM on top of Windows 7 in order to avoid a reboot?
  20.    #80  
    Please tell me why anyone would want to go from Windows 7 on a tablet into a webOS VM in order to do something (not that you can do anything on webOS on a tablet right now). In order to flick around cards?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast