Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Did you see the engadget post on RIM defectors. Have a look at my post:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...-platform.html

I wonder if HP will court these business users Soon Enough.

edit: hey, whats with P|C borking the url

forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/257480

hp-time-right-claim-your-place-rightful-platform.html
    I got the link to work by cutting and pasting!

"http://forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/257480-hp-time-right-claim-your-place-rightful-platform.html"

Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I think Palm OS is at a greater market share than WebOS to be honest.

(no data to back this up but it makes sense).
    as one locked into a 755p because I can't bring myself to break with Sprint SERO's $30/mo. unlimited data and everything plan -- count me as a POS user
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Graph looks about right to me. Good to see somebody post up some real news. Googling "webos market share" and taking a look at various articles, I see that this coincides with the data pretty well. Can't find info on Verizon and AT&T sales, but I'm pretty sure those weren't very successful at all.
  4.    #24  
    I think it's perfectly plausible that Palm's marketshare didn't go up with the launches. First of all, the launches weren't successful at all. Second, Palm OS's significant market share was declining at the same time so it's possible that for every new webOS device that was being bought, a Palm OS device (or two) was being discarded. Finally, Android exploded and pushed everyone's market share down even if they were selling more units.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I donít think that WebOS was considered in the study, if it were there would be an increase in the curve when the pre plus and pixi plus came on the scene. The graph shows a study decline, so they are probably really talking about PalmOS which you can still buy.
    It's WebOS. There was a slight rise in Q3-09, then sometime in Q4-09 the long slide began. I suspect some folks here a PreCentral have a tendency to equate the release of the Pre/Pixi on a new carrier with increased sales of the Pre/Pixi. For WebOS, this has simply not been the case. It's just been a downward spiral for WebOS since ~Nov/Dec 09. When Verizon 'launched' the Pre/Pixi, potential customers were actively steered to the Droid series. When AT&T 'launched' their WebOS phones, which was about the same time Verizon announced they were dropping the Pre/Pixi, AT&T was gearing up for the next iPhone release.

This chart is an interesting indicator of the impact WebOS has had on the smartphone market in its first year. HP truly has its work cut out for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    which was about the same time Verizon announced they were dropping the Pre/Pixi
    Did I miss something?
    When I read articles about Phone OS they dont even mention webos in most anymore. some leave out Windows Mobile sometimes also.
    Let me suggest something that will surely get me flamed. But don't worry, I've got my asbestus suit handy, so I can take it.

Palm needs to stop trying to compete. Yes, I really think they cannot compete with the Pre, and probably not the Pre 2 whenever that is released. That does not mean they should fold. Let me explain:

Palm's best days with the Pre was with Sprint. The reason is because they had no competition on Sprint at the time. Sprint was just as pathetic as Palm. They were good for each other. But there was only so many units that could be sold on Sprint, and Palm reached that limit in a hurry. Verizon got the Droid before it got the Pre, and the Verizon launch went downhill from there. Incidentally, the Droid was successful because the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T. Verizon had nothing to offer either.

My point is that when the Pre tried to compete with another modern smartphone head to head, it couldn't do it. People soon started crying for the Pre to go to AT&T so that it could compete directly with the iPhone. The logic was that those few AT&T customers who didn't want an iPhone would get a Pre by default. Palm could pick up the crumbs that fell from the iPhone's table. No dice! Again, head to head competition is not the Pres strong suit. Even on Sprint, the Pre can't compete against the EVO: Sprint's new, main squeeze.

What's left for Palm? They should find a home where they do not have to compete with modern super-phones. Perhaps it is time to think about prepay vendors like Boost, and other second and third tier carriers. Palm could absolutely own that space. After all, that is where the fat market of non-smartphone users live. Palm once wanted to provide the starter smartphone for that market. Why not go where they are.

One thing is for certain; the EVOs, Droids, Galaxies, and iPhones of the world will never follow them there. Palm would have that market all to themselves, which is kind of what they need: a market where they are the only reasonable option.
    PalmOS is not WebOS
    in the graph they have "Linux" as a catagory...
    more than likely "Linux" = WebOS

I have never heard of a phone with a Linux operating system so it must be WebOS since it is based in Linux....Its showing up as 3% of smartphone volume and holding steady...
    Guys, this is marketshare. Of course, Palm's market share has done nothing but plummet to nil. This market is growing in size, while WebOS sales have declined every quarter they have been on sale, so they don't keep parity with the market. The 1.5-2 million WebOS users worldwide are a relatively meaningless drop in the bucket to most. Both Android and iOS sell/activate at least double that number of devices every month.

Essentially, the industry is passing them by during this prolonged period of radio silence from HP. They're in no hurry to get a new phone out. Developers are not in a hurry to come aboard. It's called stasis. Suspended animation, if you will. HP will wake at some point ready to ...do something across a lot of form factors. Hopefully, they'll recognize the realities of the market whatever they may be whenever they decide to re-enter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    PalmOS is not WebOS
    in the graph they have "Linux" as a catagory...
    more than likely "Linux" = WebOS

I have never heard of a phone with a Linux operating system so it must be WebOS since it is based in Linux....Its showing up as 3% of smartphone volume and holding steady...
    Uh...no.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh...no.
    ok then what does "Linux" mean on this chart??
    I never heard of a Linuxphone except for Pre and Pixi....I mean we have Tux the Linux Penguin all over the place on Preware and WebOS Internals...seems like Linux = WebOS to me...
    ok then what does "Linux" mean on this chart??
    I never heard of a Linuxphone except for Pre and Pixi....I mean we have Tux the Linux Penguin all over the place on Preware and WebOS Internals...seems like Linux = WebOS to me...
    Unlocked KIRF phones around the world use generic Linux knockoffs of iOS, Android, and several other OSes. Engadget shouts them out derisively and regularly.

It's impossible for WebOS to "hold steady" at any level of marketshare if its sales are declining during the biggest period of growth smartphones have seen in recent memory.
    it has been 33 days since HP finalized the purchase of Palm.

33 days.......
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    it has been 33 days since HP finalized the purchase of Palm.

33 days.......
    And in that time, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T all signed up plenty of existing and new buyers to contracts with Evo 4Gs, Various Droids, Samsung Vibrants, and iPhone 4s and Samsung Captivates, respectively.

They take more customers off the table everyday.
    This is why HP said
    "we didn't buy palm to get in the smartphone business"

Tablets are were they can compete lol.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Unlocked KIRF phones around the world use generic Linux knockoffs of iOS, Android, and several other OSes. Engadget shouts them out derisively and regularly.

It's impossible for WebOS to "hold steady" at any level of marketshare if its sales are declining during the biggest period of growth smartphones have seen in recent memory.
    those "unlocked kirf" phones are in china, mexico and india...this chart is for US marketshare....

i dont know anyone walking around rocking a chinese clone phone do you?...face the facts son in this chart "Linux" = WebOS
    And in that time, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T all signed up plenty of existing and new buyers to contracts with Evo 4Gs, Various Droids, Samsung Vibrants, and iPhone 4s and Samsung Captivates, respectively.

tru but in the smartphone world just as many old contracts run out every day....bringing more customers to the table....since people buy phone once a year or two there is an neverending supply of people walking into stores to see whats available...its not like once someone chooses a phone they are locked up for life....just 2 years.....whenever HP decides to release new hardware there will be plenty of people looking for a new phone...

I see what your saying... but do not agree. Obviously, time will tell what ends up playing out.

Its been 33 days since the finalization of Hp's Purchase of Palm.

I get the feeling that many are thinking that HP was going to take what Palm had in the pipeline and shine it up... then release it.

The market is going to do what it is going to do.... there is no controlling that.

Announcing new hardware too soon( without it being close to deployment).... Mistake.

Rushing new hardware to market... another mistake.

I think HP has done the research... and the math. I think they know how many existing contracts are up for renewal... and how many users are not even in the smartphone market yet.... and they have a 5 to 10 year plan they are putting in place... GLOBAL.

A company with 47,000 engineers and HP labs working on Tech to be released 15yrs down the line.... has a bigger plan than most here think.
    Where was HP smartphones in the past.... maybe waiting for the right time to get into the smartphone market. 2010.... is definitely the year to get in. They got in... and used the phrase "double down on webOS" to let the competition know... HP has finally made the decision to get into the smartphone market. Those who think it is already to late to get in to this market and compete... are wrong ,imo.

I think they may feel that 3Qtr 2010 would be a great time to announce a family of devices... running webOS. They will focus on Ubiquitous Computing... and how they will provide consumers with tablets, notebooks, smartphones and printers all running webOS... all supported by one company - HP.
    This might be their whole advertising strategy. They will present it all as one potential package for consumers... right before the holiday shopping season

Google... makes software ... and oems put it on their phones. If anyone should be worried... its HTC and Motorola .

Samsung... will do fine with what ever they get out of smartphone market. They are heavily invested in other markets.

Apple has no interest in combining all of their products... they are making a killing off of all of them as separate luxury devices.

Is there enough room for all of them? imo, Yes

This is HP's strategy... imo.

I posted links on the "8 reasons Apple should Fear HP" thread... comparing HP envy and MacBook Pro. Many reviews claiming HP envy better than MacbookPro. claiming HP resources and financial power as a major reason for the better product.... I think HP is going to make a huge splash...
    They are taking their time to produce all of the devices...
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/02/2010 at 09:43 PM.
    those "unlocked kirf" phones are in china, mexico and india...this chart is for US marketshare....

i dont know anyone walking around rocking a chinese clone phone do you?...face the facts son in this chart "Linux" = WebOS
    Hilarious. I guess you've never walked the streets of New York, or ethnic communities in major cities across the country.

Meanwhile, please explain to me mathematically how marketshare can "hold steady" when your sales drop inversely proportionate to the market growing.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast