Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    No flames, please. I have had a Pre since Sprint launch day one, only had one replacement for a faulty microphone, have hung in there all the way and have been a believer in WebOS... I am also one of the people who really miss and need Voice Command. I have been waiting and waiting with each release of WebOS to see if Palm finally has opened up the function, but it just doesn't seem like it's coming.

I am sad about this, because absent that feature, I really do love my Pre. I have a BlueAnt headset that lets me 'sort' of use voice dialing for a few numbers, but my city just passed a law that is even more restrictive than the law the State of Michigan just passed, and now it will be illegal to handle a cell phone at all while operating a vehicle. I am a busy mom and I can't always pull off the road safely to make or answer a phone call, especially if there is an emergency with one of my children. So far I've been able to make it work, by having my most called numbers programmed into the BlueAnt headset, but I still need to use speeddial on the Pre to call numbers that aren't in the headset and pull over entirely to call numbers that aren't in my contacts.

With this new law, the police have announced that they will be pulling people over issuing warnings until October 1st, and after October 1st, if you are caught even glancing at your phone, it will be a $300 fine per offense. They have even warned that people who use their phones as GPS's may also be pulled over if they handle the phone at all while the vehicle is in operation.

I do NOT want this thread to be another bunch of bickering about whether or not Voice Command is a big deal. It might not be a big deal to you, but it is to me. I miss it a lot more than I thought I would and have been really patient and hopeful and if there was a WebOS device with it available, I might even be willing to switch carriers to have them both.

What I need is some advice. If you had to switch to a different Sprint Offering, what would you choose and why?

One more thing- I do NOT want to pay an extra $10 a month for the EVO, especially when there's no 4G anywhere on the horizon for my area.
    Hero I guess.. my friend has one and uses flipz 2.1 update and it runs great. (evo/epic might just be worth 10 more a month imo)
    Any android phone really, they have the best voice controlled environment.

(Just if they made nexus one for every carrier :sigh

Blueant has an app for android where it will read you your text messages and let you respond with different canned responses.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Sorry it hasn't worked out for you, but we are fortunate to have many choices which meet our individual needs. Kudos to you for making the change, you won't get any flack from me! Good luck!!!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Blackberry!!!
    I actually have my old Curve (the red one) that I had before the Pre and I'm thinking about just reactivating it for right now.

I'm just sad, I really love my Pre. *sigh*
    well, it sounds like you have until october... Maybe palm will drop a new device by then!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    One option would be to keep the Pre and install a BT module in your car. I have an aftermarket BT hands free module installed in my Honda. It stores about 1000 numbers per phone pairing, and is fully hands free. It does not integrate into the sound system, but has its own speaker & microphone.

It works with any BT phone, so if you change in the future it will work with another phone.
    Blackberry for sure
    Just buy a ford car with Sync. I think BMW may have a good voice dialing system too. jk

I'd say just wait for the new Samsung Epic, but that's probably going to have the extra $10 too. How do you feel about virtual keyboards? I just can't in good conscience recommend a Blackberry, the UI just makes me want to puke. Maybe if they release the new 6.0 it'll be greatly improved.

After that rant, right now the only 2 I can see myself using on Sprint are the Samsung Moment and the HTC Hero.
    I would take a good look at an Evo or Epic. They have quite a bit of voice commands, including speech to text, voice universal search, and voice dialing.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Maybe a Hero. At launch it wasn't that impressive, but I got my hands on one the other day with the new 2.1 update and WOW. It was like a different phone. It was fast as hell, very responsive, and with some of the new 2.1 eye candy it was VERY impressive. It was kinda like a "baby Evo". My contract is up and I'm giving serious thought to getting one.
    The Saint
    I will say that I'm with you on voice commands. But it you are the type of person that is willing to break the law because you don't have the time to pull over, then you might be the person that is putting your children at risk of you either killing them if they are in the car, or you killing yourself and leaving your children motherless. And maybe killing my kids!

So really, do you have to use the phone while driving?

I guess you won't be taking Oprah's Pledge!

Rob

Sorry about being mean about this, but really!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Maybe try a navigation system with bluetooth. The Nav systems can store numbers, dial and has a microphone/speaker. The major brands have a few GPS with bluetooth each. Maybe that is a viable solution.

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Car navigation

Good luck!
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I will say that I'm with you on voice commands. But it you are the type of person that is willing to break the law because you don't have the time to pull over, then you might be the person that is putting your children at risk of you either killing them if they are in the car, or you killing yourself and leaving your children motherless. And maybe killing my kids!

Rob

Sorry, but your reply seems just a tad high on the drama (I'm a family man myself, so I totally agree with being concerned w/ the safety of your kids, my kids, everyone's kids...)

The OP seems pretty conscientious to me, making sure that she is following the ever-changing laws of her state.

Just my opinion, but the much bigger problem is the texting/reading/eating/dogs-in-the-lap while driving!! I kid you not, I pass people in traffic EVERY DAY who are reading the friggin' newspaper at 35-40mph!! The people on the roads who are actually doing their best to try to follow the laws seem the least of our problems.

On-Topic: I don't have another phone to suggest, but as someone else said, it's possible Palm will release v2.0 of WebOS soon (before the holidays?), which, I believe will have microphone API. I don't think it will take long for several good apps to get ported once that happens.
    Last edited by gary_s; 08/02/2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: edit: on-topic content
    Ok Ok... this thread isn't a debate on the laws or to accuse people of poor driving... this thread is to answer a question the OP has without turning this into a discussion on driving rules or habits.

Please stay on topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Ok Ok... this thread isn't a debate on the laws or to accuse people of poor driving... this thread is to answer a question the OP has without turning this into a discussion on driving rules or habits.

Please stay on topic...
    Sorry, edited for on-topic content.
    If you refuse to pay the 10 dollar 4g charge, then you're out of luck IMO. New smartphones on sprint worth having will most likely have it.

Instead, focus on what you're paying vs the competition.
    Android versions 1.5 to 2.1 DOES NOT HAVE true handsfree bluetooth operations. The really good news is that Android version 2.2 does. Android version 2.2 is NOW being released OTA for the Evo. To meet your needs, I recommand the Evo. The extra $10 is still cheaper than other carriers and you get alot of new features other than 4g.

Hopefully my Droid Incredible will get Android 2.2 on Friday.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

Rob

Um, pardon me?
    I am *not* willing to break the law, and I take my life and my children's lives and the lives of the others on the road very seriously, thanks very much. It's precisely because I intend to respect and follow this law that I am posting this question and looking for feedback. It is not against the law to use the phone while driving in my State, nor does this new city ordinance make it illegal to do so. But any use of a phone must be COMPLETELY hands free, which the Pre currently is not and cannot be without a third party solution. I am completely willing and have every intention of following the law.

I am not going to justify to you or anyone else why I need to be able to use the phone SAFELY while driving. The very fact that I'm asking for feedback and giving the issue serious attention ought to clue you in that I DO care about the safety issues.

How good of a driver you yourself must be from up there on your high horse!!

Eeeesh.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_s View Post
    Sorry, but your reply seems just a tad high on the drama (I'm a family man myself, so I totally agree with being concerned w/ the safety of your kids, my kids, everyone's kids...)

The OP seems pretty conscientious to me, making sure that she is following the ever-changing laws of her state.

Just my opinion, but the much bigger problem is the texting/reading/eating/dogs-in-the-lap while driving!! I kid you not, I pass people in traffic EVERY DAY who are reading the friggin' newspaper at 35-40mph!! The people on the roads who are actually doing their best to try to follow the laws seem the least of our problems.

On-Topic: I don't have another phone to suggest, but as someone else said, it's possible Palm will release v2.0 of WebOS soon (before the holidays?), which, I believe will have microphone API. I don't think it will take long for several good apps to get ported once that happens.
    Back on topic in a way- this same law that the city has passed addresses those other issues, as well... it's actually called 'distracted driving' and specifically names all those exact hazards in it...and I support it wholeheartedly. It also names putting on cosmetics as well. Eating/drinking can be cited if the officer sees you have your eyes anywhere but the road and/or you have both hands tied up for any extended period of time.

Though I don't actually need to- I feel compelled to point out that I don't talk on the phone much at all, period. I have the 450 min. plan and never even use half those minutes a month. I don't make unnecessary phone calls while driving, but I have kids in several activities throughout the summer and school year and I need to be able to answer the phone if a school or doctor is trying to reach me, and I need to be able to call out if the need arises as well. If that makes me a horrible driver, so be it. I suppose my 23 year record (I am 39) with not a single accident or ticket counts for little to some who would prefer to stir up the drama.
    i live in ny, we were the first state i think to implement the no talking on the cell phone law. but of coarse it had to be reworded because you could and i have gotten out of tickets for saying "no officer, i was't talking on the phone, i was texting".
    now seriously, im not kidding, this is the state i live in. (should of called this state of confusion)the reworded it so the phone could only be used if "firmly attached to the vehicle while vehicle is operating" so if you REALLY need to make a phone call in a bad neighborhood, pulling over and turning your car off to make a call sounds great right?

i mounted my touchstone in both my vehicles and use the speakerphone or headset. perfectly legal in ny now.

if touching the product to use it is banned, then factory installed radios, a/c controls, gps in the windows all need to be made illegal in that state also.

read the law, some are quite amazingly stupid.

2 years ago the town next to me had a law that "banned rollerblades within the town lines" that presented a problem for the town, because myself and my friend who was the Sargent here got "pulled over" and ticketed, so being the type of people we are. we took delight in calling "rollerblade" the brand and faxed them a copy of the town ordinance. charges were dropped... there was a ton of lawyers, law was changed and rollerblade walked away with a larger bank account. those town board member will NOT be missed.
    Palm prē-ist.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast