Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i guess it comes down to whats more improtant to you...
    Is driving while using your phone more important to you... than using a phone when not?

I have over 150 users. Today... i played with a droid incredible... yesterday a evo 2.1/
    There is no way in hell i would give up webOS for android... especially with a new phone on the horizon.
    its a 1yr - 2 yr contract... your call.
    killing tasks , no gestures , no cards...
    i can wait until i am at a stop light for 2 min to initiate a call, via bluetooth on my pre.

just becasue a phone does not have voice activation.... does not make it unsafe.

what did people do before cell phones? what did they do before voice activation?

No disrespect... but silly imo.

my opinion... wait. see what HP offers.. then make your decision. You may regret waiting this long only to jump a month or twp prior to launcnh.

Wait for stop lights to initiate calls...
    How can Blackberry have voice command and Palm not?? And I think even MSFT had this.

Also I disagree clutch1222. I prefer not to to talk while driving myself, but how do you know people don't need to take and/or make important calls?? The "what did people do before" before argument is actually a non argument. Things have changed and that's the way it is. Cell phones are ubiquitous and expected.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And the misconception that you need a task killer on android continues.

I think this whole forum has A LOT of misconceptions about everything other than WebOS.

Look, at the end of the day, get the phone you ilke...a lot of people are defecting from Pre, even from the Precentral community....it doesn't take a genius to see Palm is behind the curve right now and not even hinting whats next. Why should people wait if they think another phone will solve their needs better?

And why would everyone else be all **** hurt about it? Things like "Oh you'll be sorry" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out"

Seriously...time to grow up kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I think this whole forum has A LOT of misconceptions about everything other than WebOS.
    Actually, this forum also has a lot of misconceptions about WebOS too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Actually, this forum also has a lot of misconceptions about WebOS too.
    lol

I don't even mean to come off harsh, but from when i joined here to now..it feel like two different places. Its like the ones still loving the Pre are defending it with their life and ready to get rid of anyone who doesn't like it.

I still own my Pre, i still like it, but i'm a gadget nerd and ready for some new and honestly, what the Pre brings to the table for ME, isn't enough to offset the very strong positives of android or iPhone 4.

But from people saying the overclock patch maeks the Pre as responsive as an Evo or iPhone 4 i really wonder what these people are smoking. Mine is overclocked, but still takes a while to open apps, still lags while scrolling through the launcher, still makes my music skip when opening a webpage and listening to the MP3 app...speaking of, the mp3 app is still atrocious (and yes i'm using Music (remix) but that just added lipstick to the pig).

I think at this point i just like the idea of WebOS more then the current implementation.
    lol

I don't even mean to come off harsh, but from when i joined here to now..it feel like two different places. Its like the ones still loving the Pre are defending it with their life and ready to get rid of anyone who doesn't like it.

I still own my Pre, i still like it, but i'm a gadget nerd and ready for some new and honestly, what the Pre brings to the table for ME, isn't enough to offset the very strong positives of android or iPhone 4.

But from people saying the overclock patch maeks the Pre as responsive as an Evo or iPhone 4 i really wonder what these people are smoking. Mine is overclocked, but still takes a while to open apps, still lags while scrolling through the launcher, still makes my music skip when opening a webpage and listening to the MP3 app...speaking of, the mp3 app is still atrocious (and yes i'm using Music (remix) but that just added lipstick to the pig).

I think at this point i just like the idea of WebOS more then the current implementation.
    I think it'll be very interesting to see whether webOS 2.0 addresses some of the nagging issues experienced in webOS 1.x. From what I gather, it's going to be a fairly significant release behind the scenes. So I wouldn't count webOS out just yet. I think webOS 1.x was their first attempt at releasing an OS that was web-centric. They had a very limited amount of time and resources to get it out there. So it arrived with many features missing. But I believe webOS 2.x will be a much better and more complete implementation of their vision.

You're correct in regards to the built-in music app and its shortcomings. I think this is true for several of the built-in apps. You can tell that they didn't have much time to focus on their apps.

And you're correct that Music Player (Remix) is in a way dressing up a pig. But keep an eye out for some future announcements I'll be making in regards to the next-gen version of Music Player (Remix). I've re-designed it from the ground up to give users a rich, yet easy-to-use experience. I've implemented some things that you won't see anywhere else (on any mobile platform) and it's all meant to make it easier for people to listen to and manage their music.

And I expect there will be many more cool apps released once webOS 2.0 comes out. A whole new set of APIs are being released which should allow certain types of apps to be released that previously were not possible.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Sounds excellent.

This is what i DO love about WebOS...the community and progression. I'm a Sprint Premiere member so i get an upgrade yearly so i'm not saying i'll never return to WebOS...just Palm itself needs to step up a bit...this whole first year i think developers and homebrewers have done most of the leg work for them.
    And the misconception that you need a task killer on android continues.

Look, at the end of the day, get the phone you ilke...a lot of people are defecting from Pre, even from the Precentral community....it doesn't take a genius to see Palm is behind the curve right now and not even hinting whats next. Why should people wait if they think another phone will solve their needs better?

And why would everyone else be all **** hurt about it? Things like "Oh you'll be sorry" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out"

Seriously...time to grow up kids.
    at the end of the day... It's still a phone.
    imo, anyone defecting now to android or ios... Is making a misyake. That's my take. They can leave... Do wth they want to.

my pre is oced with latest F105 kernal... And works gr8 for me ... Honestly.
    I want to see the line of webos products HP releases.. Then make my decision to stay or move on.
    it's that simple for me.
    anyone who likes webOS but absolutely has to get a new phone right now.... Does not resonate with me at all.
    to each his own... Don't knock users on precentral for voicing their support of webOS and pre... What else do you expect? Asking a bit much imo.

no drama...if your ready.. Move on.
    starting a thtead called " I think I need to move on.." is a bit silly imo... And could easily lead to a p.o.o.p tossing event/flaming war onPREcentral.

suggestions please? Wrong site for nuetral opinions.. Sure you will find some... But to expect it is nonsense. Try engadget / cnet/ etc... Oh yeah..google search provides excellent results as well.
    I would just wait until Palm/HP announce the next phone. You won't be happy if you lock into a new contract and they announce something you want.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    But that's the issue. How long should people keep waiting for Palm if another phone has what they want now? HP needs to step it up!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But that's the issue. How long should people keep waiting for Palm if another phone has what they want now? HP needs to step it up!!
    Tell me about it!!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I am in the same boat you are OP. I am waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S Pro (now known as the Epic). I have many friends that went from the Pre to the Evo and really miss the gestures and other WebOS features, but also didn't realize what they were missing that Android offers, including voice.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    i guess it comes down to whats more improtant to you...
    Is driving while using your phone more important to you... than using a phone when not?

I have over 150 users. Today... i played with a droid incredible... yesterday a evo 2.1/
    There is no way in hell i would give up webOS for android... especially with a new phone on the horizon.
    its a 1yr - 2 yr contract... your call.
    killing tasks , no gestures , no cards...
    i can wait until i am at a stop light for 2 min to initiate a call, via bluetooth on my pre.

just becasue a phone does not have voice activation.... does not make it unsafe.

what did people do before cell phones? what did they do before voice activation?

No disrespect... but silly imo.

my opinion... wait. see what HP offers.. then make your decision. You may regret waiting this long only to jump a month or twp prior to launcnh.

Wait for stop lights to initiate calls...
    I don't disagree with you on many of your points..and up until now, that is exactly what I've been doing, is waiting until stoplights...but the new ordinance would prohibit that as well. Any handling of your phone while the vehicle is in motion (and stoplights are still considered as such) will be prohibited.

What you describe about jumping ship too early and then being stuck in a contract again with no upgrade available, etc...that is part of why this is such a tough decision for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I would just wait until Palm/HP announce the next phone. You won't be happy if you lock into a new contract and they announce something you want.
    Voice activation is on every other major mobile OS (Android, BB, WM)

I can see something on the horizon. I haven't seen any new hardware from HP/Palm.
    I guess we are just assuming it's "just over the horizon"...

It will likely be (imo) 6 months before something is actually available for purchase from HP/Palm. So get what works for you now... and go back to webOS later (if you want to).

The Hero (with 2.1) is very comparable to the Pre. Not as elegant but a few more feature sets (including voice recognition). You can probably find one on ebay/craigslist for a reasonable price... and this would allow you to keep your upgrade eligibility.

Also, if you didn't like the Hero... you could very likely resell it at the same price. At most, you may lose $20-$30 I would think.

BTW, I had the Pre and love the elegance of webOS... but the feature set was severly lacking (for me) and I had to switch. I am currently using a EVO and love it. I missed my Pre a little bit at first but not so much now. I actually prefer swype to a physical keyboard as well.

Also, the new BB (Torch) and it's supposed to be exclusive to AT&T but I'm not sure if other similar devices will be launched on other carriers soon.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/05/2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Voice activation is on every other major mobile OS (Android, BB, WM)

I can see something on the horizon. I haven't seen any new hardware from HP/Palm.
    I guess we are just assuming it's "just over the horizon"...

It will likely be (imo) 6 months before something is actually available for purchase from HP/Palm. So get what works for you now... and go back to webOS later (if you want to).

The Hero (with 2.1) is very comparable to the Pre. Not as elegant but a few more feature sets (including voice recognition). You can probably find one on ebay/craigslist for a reasonable price... and this would allow you to keep your upgrade eligibility.

Also, if you didn't like the Hero... you could very likely resell it at the same price. At most, you may lose $20-$30 I would think.

BTW, I had the Pre and love the elegance of webOS... but the feature set was severly lacking (for me) and I had to switch. I am currently using a EVO and love it. I missed my Pre a little bit at first but not so much now. I actually prefer swype to a physical keyboard as well.

Also, the new BB (Torch) and it's supposed to be exclusive to AT&T but I'm not sure if other similar devices will be launched on other carriers soon.
    looks like gman is looking for others to validate his choice of moving on before reviewing the options HP will offer.

is this great advice?

after spending a year on webOS.... Move on to android...
    lose all of the apps $$$ you have. Start all over again on android OS...
    then, maybe come back to webos because this guy thinks PALM will not release a new phone before the biggest shopping season of the year... Xmas.

you can buy an evo today.
    in 30 days... Hp releases news on next webOS smartphone and tablet... And you no longer have the options... You are locked into a new contract with evo.

me personally... I lke to review options before making a 1 yr to 2 yr purchase decision.
    With that mentality sounds like you will never buy a phone....

There will ALWAYS be a new phone, how can you say "review your options"...he's reviewing his options NOW.
    looks like gman is looking for others to validate his choice of moving on before reviewing the options HP will offer.

is this great advice?

after spending a year on webOS.... Move on to android...
    lose all of the apps $$$ you have. Start all over again on android OS...
    then, maybe come back to webos because this guy thinks PALM will not release a new phone before the biggest shopping season of the year... Xmas.

you can buy an evo today.
    in 30 days... Hp releases news on next webOS smartphone and tablet... And you no longer have the options... You are locked into a new contract with evo.

me personally... I lke to review options before making a 1 yr to 2 yr purchase decision.
    Another way to look at it is that Evo or other options exist now. A new WebOS device might be coming in the next few months and might be a marked improvement and might have a completed OS and might have exponential app growth and HP might go all out in smartphones...

...or maybe not. It's a gamble.
    I agree with the above, why not just wait until the holiday season. If the rumors are true (and I think they are with my insiders and others) HPalm will release a new device, though even for some odd crazy reason they dont the holiday season will have a slew of new devices, and you will have a larger selection to choose from, rather then just jump now to something because you just have to have something new. The holiday season is what 3 months away, just wait and see dont waste your money on something you may not like.
    With that mentality sounds like you will never buy a phone....

There will ALWAYS be a new phone, how can you say "review your options"...he's reviewing his options NOW.
    this holiday will be more options with or without a hpalm phone. Id wait until then personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I agree with the above, why not just wait until the holiday season. If the rumors are true (and I think they are with my insiders and others) HPalm will release a new device, though even for some odd crazy reason they dont the holiday season will have a slew of new devices, and you will have a larger selection to choose from, rather then just jump now to something because you just have to have something new. The holiday season is what 3 months away, just wait and see dont waste your money on something you may not like.
    He might not like whats in the holiday season. He has 30 days to try the phone. If he doesn't like it before then he can return it and wait till the holiday season.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast