1.    #1  
    My wife and I went camping with another couple this weekend. The woman has a new HTC Hero. She's really in love with her phone, and her husband is a bit of a geek about technology like I am.

We were surprised to find that we had a good 3G signal at the state park where we were camping. The other couple was enjoying showing off this really cool Android night sky app. You point it at the sky and it tells you what constellation you're looking at. It's an app that might work on my Pre+ if the API was released for the camera, and if the GPS worked right (yup ... I'm on Verizon).

The good news is that I completely smacked them down at one point during the evening. We were talking about something, and to settle a debate someone said "just Google it on your phone". We both whipped out our phones at the same time, and while they were still fiddling with getting a browser open on the phone, I already had the answer by just sliding out my keyboard and using Universal Search.

We may not have as many apps as Android phones, but from my time spent with the Hero this weekend, I think WebOS is much more usable.
    If the lady had a clue, she would've spoken her search into the phone and "smacked" you down before you finished your keystrokes.

Each phone has their attributes and weaknesses. You're winning if you have either one.
    Not all Hero's have the ability to be spoken to and have the search work
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Yes they do. Comes out of the box with the 1.5/Sense-enhanced version of Android that shipped upon launch in October. You simply put the Google widget anywhere on your 7 homescreens. Touch the mic icon and start talking. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    my wife has an unrooted hero. on 2.1. the spoken search works just fine.
    The hardware on the hero is a turd. The google stars thing is amazing. My friend has the evo and we were on the florida keys playing with it at night. That app was amazing on the evo. I wish palm had an app like that. Instead I'm stuck with a broken power button, oreo cookie twisting, broken usb door (with small screen crack from it that will eventually crack my whole screen). But hey I have had this phone for 7months so I mean what do I expect!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    The other couple was enjoying showing off this really cool Android night sky app. You point it at the sky and it tells you what constellation you're looking at. It's an app that might work on my Pre+ if the API was released for the camera, and if the GPS worked right (yup ... I'm on Verizon).
    That sounds more likely to be a combination of GPS, compass, and gyro. I could be wrong, but I don't think the camera on any cell phone is sensitive enough to reliably pick up stars without being put into a stationary mount.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    My wife and I went camping with another couple this weekend. The woman has a new HTC Hero. She's really in love with her phone, and her husband is a bit of a geek about technology like I am.
    So you beat someone not completely familiar with their !!!NEW!!! phone doing a google search...

Man the straws people grasp at these days.

I guess them pounding all over your app selection by you using stuff you don't have, can't get for god knows how long didn't count.
    The skymap app uses the built-in compass, GPS, and clock to display an annotated Sky Map of the area it is facing. The map will adjust as the user moves the device. If a device does not have compass functionality, the app will only work in manual mode.

my friend brought over his hero.. he owned me using swype :P

Version_3 you got to see it to believe it...

No good vids on youtube hmm
    Last edited by IcerC; 08/02/2010 at 10:45 AM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    The other couple was enjoying showing off this really cool Android night sky app. You point it at the sky and it tells you what constellation you're looking at.
    Dang. I'm not the first person to think of an app like that.
  11.    #11  
    wow ... wasn't really expecting the hostilty in this thread
    I don't think there's any debate that the Pre does some things well. Better than any platform really. But its the many other things that the Pre isn't starting with build quality that kills it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes they do. Comes out of the box with the 1.5/Sense-enhanced version of Android that shipped upon launch in October. You simply put the Google widget anywhere on your 7 homescreens. Touch the mic icon and start talking. Done.
    I misspoke then.. A friend of mine has never used that feature of his then.. as when I asked him about it he said he didn't have it.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    wow ... wasn't really expecting the hostilty in this thread
    I think part of it is using the words "smacked down" and seeming oh-so-proud you Googled something faster than somebody with a different phone and then decided to start a thread about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KottyKing View Post
    The hardware on the hero is a turd. The google stars thing is amazing. My friend has the evo and we were on the florida keys playing with it at night. That app was amazing on the evo. I wish palm had an app like that. Instead I'm stuck with a broken power button, oreo cookie twisting, broken usb door (with small screen crack from it that will eventually crack my whole screen). But hey I have had this phone for 7months so I mean what do I expect!
    Why wouldnt you get a warranty replacement? any one of those reasons would get you one. I had a power button that worked but lost the spring and they swapped mine no problem.
    You must be very proud. If I were at a state park, I'd be playing in my whitewater kayak or on my bike and enjoying the escape from tech with friends.
    : (){:|:&};:
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    You must be very proud. If I were at a state park, I'd be playing in my whitewater kayak or on my bike and enjoying the escape from tech with friends.
    It was 11pm. I mentioned in the original post that it was evening. If you whitewater kayak in the dark then you're an even bigger moron than your post makes you out to be.
    I know this is off-topic, but actually, Star Maps Pro for iPhone and iPad rules!! Yes, I have a Pre, enjoy the pros of webOS, but all those apps coming on Android are all apps that have been in the iPhone in the past...The Star Maps on the iPad is wicked. Yes, nothing wrong with having both Pre Plus and iPad!

Starmap Pro for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Sounds moer like user slowness vs. android slowness.

You have like 3 options to quickly search including a Goolge Widget on your home screen.

The search button.

Voice search.